WotI Covers - What's depicted?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII, Seer of Yhog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

WotI Covers - What's depicted?

Post by Havard » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:44 pm

What is really depicted on the covers of the WotI Books?

What is the creature on the over of book 2? Are the people on the battle field being turned to stone by his appearance?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

stebehil
Ogre

Re: WotI Covers - What's depicted?

Post by stebehil » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:37 pm

The dragonrider reminds me slightly of Warduke - imagine the iconic helmet of warduke instead. A dragon and a fighter is otherwise very iconic imagery for BECMI.
The people fighting on book two seem to sprout plants and thorns IMO, and this affects both parties in the fight. They look "stonish", but this might just be shadows. The giant creature rises up from a golden glow, with a watery substance splashing away (or is it drawn down into the glow?). The opening seems to have a worked stone edge curving around it.
Hm. Still no real idea what this is about, but I´m too lazy to read the books right now to see if there is any connection.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:44 pm

Could that be Alphaks on the cover of book two.

Mike
Ogre

Post by Mike » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:46 pm

I assumed Alphaks on book two also.

Robin
Cloud Giant

Post by Robin » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:23 pm

As far as I remember the original artist Easley explained to me; (years ago--I know I am old :oops: )...

the cover of the 2nd book was made before the set came to be; and depicted the summoning of a Greater Fiend (demon) from the AD&D2 set, where the chaos aura caused all to battle upon its arrival.

the cover of the box was made by Easley for this set in specific. Odin was the Immortal he tried to depict for various reasons; (good and well known and wise Immortal to most gamers)...I questioned him on the Euro Gencon; Why the dragon?...This was answered that he could not get the 8 legs of the horse Sleipnir right...(in his opinion, as I have seen almost all of his great works--and even have original drawings of him ---me proud :P :mrgreen: ) Being under a strict deadline hence he created a huge dragon mount, also befitting for a ruling Hierarch....and the Dragon interests of TSR.

That is what I know he told me then.... I also know the Sleipnir intrigued him and he has depicted the immortal with the horse in a way more suited https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b1/77/f1 ... a22f6c.jpg

From http://www.pandius.com/Immortals_of_Mystara.pdfpage 454-468
Two ravens: Hugin & Munin (thought and memory) are constantly bringing the All-Father news
of the outside world. These Ravens appear as normal birds for attack, though they are very
intelligent and are rarely forced to do any fighting due to their cleverness.
Two wolves: Freke & Geri,(Old Norse, both meaning "the ravenous" or "greedy one") they are Direwolves, but more resemble Werebears (lvl 10+) in
powers for attack and defensive abilities, adding the capability of the Hell-hounds sensing
(detect invisibility, hear noise etc.).
A horse: Sleipner. Sleipner is Odin's personal eight-legged steed. He is cloud-grey in color,
and has sacred runes engraved on his teeth. Sleipner is the result of a liaison of Loki in a
female Mortal form with other magical enhanced horses. This horse is truly the most marvelous in that
it flies (240’/90’), may cross water at a full gallop and perform in all other respects as a normal
horse. Also, it may teleport itself and its "burden" once per day at the rider's command. Only
Odin may mount Sleipner though there is a very good chance that the horse (which is very
intelligent) would save some Lawful or deserving person or creature in need of help by
transporting them.

or page 805
Freki and Geri
Wolves which accompany Odin
Freki; Home Plane Asgardhr, AC 2, AV1, MR 40%, HD 10, Hp 80, THAC0 6, Att 2 claws (2d4+3 each—Bear hug if
both hit 2d8), 1 bite (2d8—THAC0 +2 if both claws hit), +2 or better weapon to hit, ST 19, IN 8, WI 9, DX 14, CO 17,
CH 12, Regeneration 1 hp / r as any Immortal even beyond Death, AL N, MV 120’ / 40’.
Geri; Home Plane Asgardhr, AC 2, AV1, MR 40%, HD 10, Hp 87, THAC0 6, Att 2 claws (2d4+3 each—Bear hug if
both hit 2d8), 1 bite (2d8—THAC0 +2 if both claws hit), +2 or better weapon to hit, ST 18, IN 11, WI 11, DX 15, CO 20,
CH 12, Regeneration 1 hp / r as any Immortal even beyond Death, AL N MV 120’ / 40’.
Two wolves: Freke & Geri, they are Direwolves, but more resemble Werebears in powers for attack and defensive
abilities, adding the capability of the Hell-hounds sensing (detect invisibility, hear noise etc.).
Hugin and Munin
Huginn and Mugin
Raven which accompany Odin
Hugin; Home Plane Asgardhr, AC 7, AV0, MR 40%, HD 2+2, Hp 15, THAC0 17, Att 1 bite (1d6), +2 or better weapon
to hit, ST 6, IN 49, WI 38, DX 16, CO 12, CH 11, Regeneration 1 hp / r as any Immortal even beyond Death, AL N.
Munin; Home Plane Asgardhr, AC 7, AV0, MR 40%, HD 2+2, Hp 14, THAC0 17, Att 1 bite (1d6), +2 or better weapon
to hit, ST 5, IN 38, WI 48, DX 16, CO 11, CH 12, Regeneration 1 hp / r as any Immortal even beyond Death, AL N.
The two ravens accompanying him (Hugin means Knowledge and Munin means Memory) are his eyes and ears. They
are constantly bringing the All-Father news of the outside world. These Ravens appear as normal birds for attack,
though they are very intelligent and are rarely forced to do any fighting due to their cleverness.
Sleipnir
Child of Loki
Eight-legged horse of Odin
Sleipnir; Home Plane Asgardhr, AC-4, AV(as Barding), MR 50%, HD 17**, Hp 115, THAC0 3, Att 2 Hooves (2d6
each), 1 bite (1d12), Trample (1d20+8), +2 or better weapon to hit, ST 65, IN 9, WI 8, DX 16, CO 21, CH 22,
Regeneration 3 hp / r as any Immortal even beyond Death, AL CG, MV 180’ / 60’, FL 240’ / 80’, Load 6000 full speed,
12.000 half speed, BM x2
A horse: Sleipner. Sleipner is Odin's personal eight-legged steed. He is cloud-grey in color, and has sacred runes
engraved on his teeth. Sleipner is the result of a liaison of Loki in a Mortal form with another magical enhanced horse.
This horse is truly the most marvelous in that it flies, may cross water at a full gallop and perform in all other respects
as a normal horse. Also, it may teleport itself and its "burden" once per day at the rider's command. Only Odin may
mount Sleipner though there is a very good chance that the horse (which is very intelligent) would save some Lawful or
deserving person or creature in need of help by transporting them
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:51 pm

The cover for book two is actually repurposed artwork from the Moonshae Trilogy, book 3: Darkwell. It depicts the summoning of the Darkwalker Kazgoroth the Beast from a corrupted Moonwell (now a Darkwell).

The other is an Easley piece that I have never seen reproduced (it reminds me of another piece of artwork, but I don't think they are the same). It may be an original for Wrath of the Immortals.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:59 pm

We can still pretend that it is Alphaks...

paleologos
Ogre

Post by paleologos » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:10 am

Wow, Robin - thanks for the info on the cover!

I met Jeff at GaryCon this year, and he was selling large prints of that illustration. I chatted with him for a bit, but didn't think to ask the questions you did. He seems like a great guy.

For the cover to book 2, I always suspected it was repurposed. Now I finally know from where...

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:20 am

Upon entering the next room in the imperial museum, the princeling looked up in open astonishment. "Those two paintings—such a distinctive style!"

"Ah, yes," said his tour guide. "Odin and Sleipnir, and Ascension of the Roaring Demon. They were painted by the previous emperor, Tylion IV. He used to be quite fond of painting before the duties of being emperor took up all of his time, and some of his historical scenes were donated to this museum by his daughter."

The princeling absorbed this information for a few moments. "I thought Sleipnir was an eight-legged horse," he pointed out.

"You've been paying attention to your religion courses. Good. Yes, the subject of that painting was actually misidentified for decades until the old emperor's notes came to light and forced art historians to reevaluate it. By that time, the old title had stuck and no one could be bothered to change it. The dragon isn't intended as a depiction of Sleipnir. The rider, for that matter, isn't the Immortal Odin. The painting is actually of a very ancient war, some 2500 years before Landfall, called the War of the Dragonlord."

"The War of the Dragonlord? Why haven't I heard of it?"

"Few have. It was already forgotten history when our people first came to this world. Only the Dracologists of Glantri have preserved such lore, and their secrets are very difficult to pry from them. The dragon rider depicted in the painting is Aryan Bejnok, the Dragonlord. His helm and armor were technomagical artifacts devised by the ancient Blackmoorians to repel dragon attacks. Why the war was fought, we do not know. We know only that the men of Blackmoor won it and the dragons that threatened them were enslaved or banished."

"And the Roaring Demon?"

"That painting depicts the ascension of Emperor Alphas IV to Immortality, as the Immortal Alphaks."

The princeling shuddered. "Back on the old world?"

His guide shook his head. "Alphas was banished to another plane before Old Alphatia's destruction. There he languished for centuries, imprisoned yet still growing in power. Some 800 years ago, the wandering descendants of the Followers of the Fire, during their exile on the Outer Planes, stumbled upon Alphas' prison and their veneration for their former ruler helped complete his final Test, allowing him to ascend to true Immortality. The people battling around him are Flaems, driven to a violent frenzy by the entropic forces released. Of all the Immortals, Alphaks has been chief nemesis of our people ever since."

The princeling stared at his tutor. "How do you know so much, Master Terari?"

Master Terari's lips quirked in half a smile. "When you live as long as I do, you pick up some things. Let's move along, young Haldemar of Haaken. There is plenty of museum yet to see."

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:27 am

*applause!*

Very cool Rip!

BTW Aryan Bejnok? Is that a canon name? :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:05 pm

Havard wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:27 am
It's the name used in Simone Neri's History of Dragonkind, but I think it might not be canon.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:53 am

Robin wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:23 pm
That is what I know he told me then.... I also know the Sleipnir intrigued him and he has depicted the immortal with the horse in a way more suited https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b1/77/f1 ... a22f6c.jpg

From http://www.pandius.com/Immortals_of_Mystara.pdfpage 454-468
Two ravens: Hugin & Munin (thought and memory) are constantly bringing the All-Father news
of the outside world. These Ravens appear as normal birds for attack, though they are very
intelligent and are rarely forced to do any fighting due to their cleverness....
Yep. Know those quite well, I do. ;)

Thanks for the insight on the art, though!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:19 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:05 pm
Havard wrote:
It's the name used in Simone Neri's History of Dragonkind, but I think it might not be canon.
Ah, thanks!

Canon or not, it seems like something I might have to work into my Blackmoor timelines ;)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:25 pm

Late just to say, ripvanwormer's story is great!

Zendrolion
Stone Giant

Post by Zendrolion » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:11 pm

Havard wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:44 pm
Are the people on the battle field being turned to stone by his appearance?
I always supposed the combatants had already been petrified ages ago (hence the plants creeping all over them), before the fiend was summoned. In my view, he is manifesting himself in a cursed, abandoned, ruined place.
Havard wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:19 pm
ripvanwormer wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:05 pm
Havard wrote:
Ah, thanks!

Canon or not, it seems like something I might have to work into my Blackmoor timelines ;)
Not canon at all. Glad someone felt inspired by my ungramatical work! :D
"The prince should study historical accounts of the actions of great men, to see how they conducted themselves in war; he should study the
causes of their victories and defeats, so as to avoid the defeats and imitate the victories" N. Machiavelli, The Prince, XIV, 5

Return to “Mystara”