Stonehell Dungeon on Mystara?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Stonehell Dungeon on Mystara?

Postby Havard » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:08 pm

Has anyone thought of using Michael Curtis' Stonehell Dungeon on Mystara? If so, where would you locate it? It is written for B/X D&D which would make it easy to use with most Mystara campaigns... :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Stonehell Dungeon on Mystara?

Postby Cazacurdas » Sun May 28, 2017 12:59 pm

First things first: which are the rules on necroposting? Where do I can find them? I'm terribly inept at forums.

Second. I've run two sessions of Stonehell in some... "blank setting", but now we've decided to place it on Mystara, so right now I'm having the same issues.

My players are only familiar with the "classic" area, the one covered by the GAZ's so I've initally discarded to be an Alphatian prison (they don't even know who they are). It could reasonbly be a Thyatian prison, where? No idea, I'm re-reading a lot this weekend. Also, somewhere between Darokin, the Broken Lands and Glantri seems reasonable. Could the founder be an old Darokin noble? Kobold might have been brought from some war with Kol...

Did you have any idea in these years? Did you ever run it?

Again, if I didn't say it, sorry for the necro.

P.S.: My forum skills have been always REALLY low, please, point me any etiquette mistake.
Cazacurdas
Kobold

Postby JamesMishler » Sun May 28, 2017 5:10 pm

Karameikos, of course.

Stonehell was founded about 120 years ago, in the official history. No reason that can't be truncated to fit in with the history of Karameikos.

Let us say that the original Thyatian Governor of Karameikos (the "wild west of mixed city states," which fits perfectly with what Karameikos was back then, and remains today, effectively), was rather Evil. So to get rid of all the malcontents who could not deal with the Thyatians now ruling, he took the advice of his vizier to build Stonehell right after the colony was founded, ca. 900 AC.

There he dumped all the scum and villainy of Specularum, plus all the rebels against Thyatian rule. 20 years later, after incompetent and vile rulership, he was overthrown in a rebellion, though of course, Thyatian rule was quickly established. The new governor abandoned Stonehell after trying to recover it and its peoples.

I would place Stonehell in the far western hills, north of Riverfork Keep. Lots of wilderness there, and the keep could be used as a home base.
JamesMishler
Bugbear

Postby Cazacurdas » Sun May 28, 2017 7:50 pm

It seems a perfect fit! I need a nearby swamp and... there is a nearby swamp!

Thanks!
Cazacurdas
Kobold

Postby Hugin » Mon May 29, 2017 3:52 am

Cazacurdas wrote:First things first: which are the rules on necroposting? Where do I can find them? I'm terribly inept at forums.

I'm really not sure if there is anything officially posted, but the culture here is very accepting of necroposting when it's on topic. So don't worry about it all; you're doing just fine. (We're a pretty chill bunch here.)
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Havard » Mon May 29, 2017 7:49 am

Hugin wrote:
Cazacurdas wrote:First things first: which are the rules on necroposting? Where do I can find them? I'm terribly inept at forums.

I'm really not sure if there is anything officially posted, but the culture here is very accepting of necroposting when it's on topic. So don't worry about it all; you're doing just fine. (We're a pretty chill bunch here.)

There are no rules against ressurrecting old threads (Thread necromancy). Ashtagon, the owner of the site, has said that she will consider making rules about it if it ever becomes a problem, but as you say, Hugin, we are a pretty chill bunch and I don't really see any problem with bringing up an old thread.

If you are looking for rules, you can find a few here, but for the most part they boil down to "play nice" and for the most part that seems to have been working out very well so far :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby ghendar » Tue May 30, 2017 6:46 pm

JamesMishler wrote:Karameikos, of course.

Stonehell was founded about 120 years ago, in the official history. No reason that can't be truncated to fit in with the history of Karameikos.

Let us say that the original Thyatian Governor of Karameikos (the "wild west of mixed city states," which fits perfectly with what Karameikos was back then, and remains today, effectively), was rather Evil. So to get rid of all the malcontents who could not deal with the Thyatians now ruling, he took the advice of his vizier to build Stonehell right after the colony was founded, ca. 900 AC.

There he dumped all the scum and villainy of Specularum, plus all the rebels against Thyatian rule. 20 years later, after incompetent and vile rulership, he was overthrown in a rebellion, though of course, Thyatian rule was quickly established. The new governor abandoned Stonehell after trying to recover it and its peoples.

I would place Stonehell in the far western hills, north of Riverfork Keep. Lots of wilderness there, and the keep could be used as a home base.

Not to say that there wouldn't be other suitable locations but this sounds perfect to me.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?
ghendar
Hill Giant

Postby Cazacurdas » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:18 pm

First things first: thanks to all of you. I've reading all of you for a long time (nothing creepy here) and it's a pleasure to feel so welcome. And yes, from time to time (short intervals) I'll kick English language in its face with no intention of hurting anyone eyes, so please, excuse me for that.

I've been thinking and... well, there's a strange ore in Stonehell, that could be a residual product of "that thing behind that place". Here's where everyone (including me) knows I didn't read (yet) anything related to the forum rules and/or about spoilering (is that even a thing?) Mystara's deepest secrets.

So, I think I'll drop it southwest Glantri. I have to re-read Glantri.

Edit: After some thoughts, as I didn't remember Glantri being so... Glantri, I've made my mind and placed Stonehell on Darokin. I still think that dropping it close to Glantri can give justification to many of the peculiar things happening inside Stonehell, but Darokin is more player friendly for my group.
Cazacurdas
Kobold

Return to Mystara