Scales of War

Discuss 4th Edition rules, PoL setting concepts, and the GSL here.
The Book-House: Find 4th Edition products, Find D&D Essentials products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Into the Unknown
Orc

Scales of War

Post by Into the Unknown » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:59 pm

So... Scales of War sucks. Let's admit it. It was a shoddy attempt by WotC to capture the sheer perfection of Paizo's adventure paths. And it was a massive failure.

Has anyone come up with a way to make it work? I've always liked 4e, which I guess puts me in the large minority of TTRPG players. But it just freakin' sucks so bad. In literally every way. How can we improve it?
Follow us on iTunes, Podbean, and wherever else you get your podcast fix!
https://intotheunknownpodcast.podbean.com/

Also follow us on social media!
Facebook: https://facebook.com/unknowingpod
Twitter: @unknowingpod

Not a supporter of our Patreon? Become one today, and gain instant access to exclusive episodes, fiction, and more!
https://patreon.com/intotheunknownpodcast

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: Scales of War

Post by Zeromaru X » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:45 pm

I think the same. I know a lot of people loves SoW, but I'm not in that team. Lorewise, I guess it is fine. I love how includes Elsir Vale into the Nentir Vale's world, how expands the setting and all of this. It does generate a few lore inconsistencies by the time they begin to include the gith plot (Lich Queen's beloved et all). I felt this forced.

Mechanically, however, is just plain terrible. It suffers the same problem plaguing all the early 4e adventures: the designers didn't understood how 4e philosophy in designing adventures works. Its open nature (I mean, the fact that is only loosely connected to the other adventures so that people didn't playing the whole AP could use them as one shots) is also problematic.

So, a good way for fixing this is getting the MM3/MV for re-balanced monster math, the Rules Compendium for updated rules and one of the good 4e adventures (such as Reavers of Harkenwold or Madness at Gardmore Abbey) to use it as a guide to re-work every and all the SoW adventures.

Rebalancing encounters will be a hell, tho. But a good idea is to reduce the battle encounters to those that really matter for the plot and to try to create a better way to connect the overall plot as well.

If you can, you should look for Myrhdraak's excellent H1-E3 conversion. It does wonders for the H/P/E modules (that are also considered to be so-so modules) and can serve you as a guide for this project.
Last edited by Zeromaru X on Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:52 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:45 pm
Rebalancing encounters will be a hell, tho. But a good idea is to reduce the battle encounters to those that really matter for the plot and to try to create a better way to connect the overall plot as well.
I would love to see someone take a shot at a project like this. It would be ripe for use with other systems by the time it was boiled down to its important encounters.
Zeromaru X wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:45 pm
If you can, you should look for Myrhdraak's excellent H1-E3 conversion. It does wonders for the H/P/E modules (that are also considered to be so-so modules) and can serve you as a guide for this project.
I second this. I started running these adventures using his conversion, and they were dramatically better with the connective tissue that's provided.

DMSamuel
Hobgoblin

Post by DMSamuel » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:19 pm

The problem is that I don't like the scales of war adventure path well enough to bother converting it to improve it. I'd rather spend my time doing other conversions/updates.
-- DMSamuel --

RPGMusings.com

@DMSamuel

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:23 am

DMSamuel wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:19 pm
The problem is that I don't like the scales of war adventure path well enough to bother converting it to improve it. I'd rather spend my time doing other conversions/updates.
So essentially you were hopeful that someone else has done the conversion work already, and could point you toward it?

DMSamuel
Hobgoblin

Post by DMSamuel » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:02 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:23 am
DMSamuel wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:19 pm
So essentially you were hopeful that someone else has done the conversion work already, and could point you toward it?
LOL - actually, no, not at all. I wasn't waiting for this to be updated. I was just responding to your comments that:
Tim Baker wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:52 pm
I would love to see someone take a shot at a project like this. It would be ripe for use with other systems by the time it was boiled down to its important encounters.
I don't care much for the scales of war adventure path, so even if someone did take the time to update it, I probably would not use it.

Re-reading my post it feels very negative and I don't mean to harsh anyone's joy, I just think there are SO MANY other, better storylines in 4e/Nentir Vale that I would rather spend my time on if I had time to spend.
-- DMSamuel --

RPGMusings.com

@DMSamuel

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:15 pm

I, like DM Samuel, don't care that much for SoW, either. I like the fact that it expanded the World, but I already have the Nentir Vale, so SoW felt like something unneeded. It expanded a region I don't use in my games. The only think I ported to my games from SoW was the city of Overlook, that I renamed Hammerfast (because at the time there was no canon info on Hammerfast, and I needed it for a game).

Now, if instead of Elsir Vale they had used Nentir Vale, you can bet I would have done that conversion myself, :roll:

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:53 pm

Not sure if this will be helpful, but there are a few older threads about the Scales of War here at The Piazza:

Scales of War (Nentir Vale Thread)
Scales of War AP for Mystara
4E Scales of War AP for Mystara (Not sure why I created two of these :P )

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

JoeNotCharles
Ogre

Post by JoeNotCharles » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:27 am

I do think the epic-tier adventures in Scales of War are salvageable. There aren't a lot of published adventures at that level for 4E and the only other set that matches the scope they attempted for the Scales of War endgame is the E part of the HPE series, which is even worse. I haven't looked to see how they stack up mechanically, but about 3/4 of the setting info and plot hooks are pretty decent IIRC.

Return to “D&D 4th Edition”