Anyone play the Warlords 1 on 1 game?

Oriental Adventures in Kara-Tur, the Eastern Realms.
The Book-House: Find Kara-Tur products.

Moderator: Cthulhudrew

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Anyone play the Warlords 1 on 1 game?

Post by Big Mac » Wed May 22, 2013 12:34 am

Recently, I heard of a product line that TSR put out called a "1 on 1 adventure" which apparently used two books gamebooks that allow two players to compete against each other in the same adventure.

The first product I saw, was called Dragonswords of Lankhmar, but I then found out there was another 1 on 1 adventure, for Kara-Tur, called Warlords. In Warlords, one player gets to use a book called You Are Prince Matabei, Rebel Commander and the other player gets to use a book called You Are Lord Kenshin, Daimyo of Tsuke.
ImageImageImage

Here is the back cover blurb:
Warlords wrote:Role-Playing in the Orient

Inside are two books for you and a friend to use in playing an all-new kind of adventure.

One of you will take the part of Prince Matabei, dispossessed of his kingdom by his uncle, Lord Kenshin, who will be played by the other player.

In the dead of night, on a fog-shrouded coast, the prince returns to Tsuke, his former kingdom. During the coming days he must investigate the entire province, locate Lord Kenshin's troops, and determine who is for him and who against. At the same time, Lord Kenshin will be fighting to keep control in a land that has come to hate him.

Either of you can win... and either of you can die.

This an exciting game of hand-to-hand combat, troop movements, and subtle negotiation, all in the oriental style. No dice are required. Instead a traditional paper-scissors-rock game determines the outcome of combat and other encounters. All you need to start is one friend and two pencils!
Has anyone played Warlords?

Has anyone tried to convert the elements of Warlords into a Kara-Tur campaign for tabletop?

Are there any tabletop products that tie into the characters used in this 1 on 1 game?
Last edited by Big Mac on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: Anyone play the Warlords 1 on 1 game?

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed May 22, 2013 2:47 am

I used to own the 1 on 1 Warlods book and another one (Dragonlance, I think). Of the two, the Warlords one was the best. I played it through with my brother; I think we played both sides, switching off after finishing one story.

I don't recall a lot of specifics; I want to say there was even some army strategy involved in it, but I do remember really enjoying the heck out of the storyline and the mechanics.

The Dragonlance one didn't wow me, however. I forget who/what that was about; it was called "Dragonwand of Krynn."
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

NPCDave
Frost Giant

Post by NPCDave » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:59 am

I also have this Warlords book set and it plays out a mix of the regular 1 on 1 adventure plus mass combat.

Each side is a general attempting to recruit troops from the province for the final battle. Most of these books you are expending resources and collecting magic to be used in the final confrontation, here you are amassing an army.

It comes across as more organic that way. It can easily be adapted to something for a tabletop game, including a Battlesystem scenario.

I would need to check and see if any of these characters came from the Kara-Tur box set.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:51 pm

Thanks Drew and Dave. It does seem like this would be something that could be raided for a tabletop plot. I think you could put the PCs on the side of either of the two factions, but it would probably also work if the PCs were not working for Prince Matabei or Lord Kenshin and the events were run as a revolution that was occurring around the PCs.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

NPCDave
Frost Giant

Post by NPCDave » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:49 am

I uncovered this book game from storage, so now I throw down the gauntlet.

Anyone up for playing against me in a play-by-post WIR thread here on Piazza?

Step forward... :cool:

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:24 am

Wish I still owned my copy. This sounds like it would be really fun to do as a PbP.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:13 am

NPCDave wrote:Anyone up for playing against me in a play-by-post WIR thread here on Piazza?

Step forward... :cool:
If I buy a copy, you have a deal. :)

...but wouldn't that be two games (one for each way)?

NPCDave
Frost Giant

Post by NPCDave » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:56 pm

You got it...one each way.

Return to “Kara-Tur”