Tan Chin's undead armies

Oriental Adventures in Kara-Tur, the Eastern Realms.
The Book-House: Find Kara-Tur products.

Moderator: Cthulhudrew

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Tan Chin's undead armies

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:11 pm

Page 146 of The Grand History of the Realms says that in 1361 DR (Year of Maidens) Tan Chin invaded Shou Lung, Lo Tu and Khazari:
1361 DR Year of Maidens: The Grand History of the Realms wrote:Tan Chin and his undead armies push eastward into Shou Lung. Weakened by the Horde invasion two years prior, the Shou make feeble stands at Shih Tuh and Yenching but are easily overun. Turning his army northwest, Lo Tu is next to fall, followed by the realm of Khazari by years's end.
This seems like a major "Realms shattering event" for the Kara-Tur area. Does anyone have any idea how this plot might be played out in a Kara-Tur campaign?

I went looking for events leading up to this (and following this). I did find something in 1363 DR Year of the Helm that said that Tan Chin was killed by adventurers in the catacombs beneath Skarou, but that is not too much to go on.

Is there a sourcebook that gives any information about Tan Chin and/or his undead armies? I know that D&D has Eastern Vampires, but are there any other D&D undead that would fit in well with a Kara-Tur campaign based on fighting off an invasion?

Does anyone know about the sort of military forces that would be up against Tan Chin's armies (and how many undead might be needed to overwhelm them)?

Does anyone know if there are any sort of arrangements in Kara-Tur society (or the individual nations) for raising militias? I'm wondering if the PCs could lead a bunch of villagers in a defensive action similar to the plot of The Seven Samurai. Mind you, an entire army of undead, might mean that you can only delay an invasion, while the rest of the people flee.

How about the politics of the individual nations? Is there any chance that some countries would form an alliance against Tan Chin?
Last edited by Big Mac on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Re: Tan Chin's undead armies

Post by GMWestermeyer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:50 am

These events are described in the FRA modules series, FRA1 Storm Riders, FRA2 Black Courser, and FRA3 Blood Charger. They form the plot of that module series. Tan Chin is first mentioned, I believe, in the Kara Tur boxed set, but this version is first described in The Horde boxed set.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Tan Chin's undead armies

Post by Big Mac » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:05 am

Thanks Paul. I've stuck them on my Horde Campaign Setting wishlist.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Kara-Tur”