Clans in Kara Tur

Oriental Adventures in Kara-Tur, the Eastern Realms.
The Book-House: Find Kara-Tur products.

Moderator: Cthulhudrew

waylander39
Troll

Clans in Kara Tur

Post by waylander39 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:09 am

I've been leafing through the Rokugan campaign material recently for L5R and 3rd ed and found the idea of the clan system they use really interesting. I was considering moving the clans back across to Kara-Tur and perhaps amke use of them as nobility in one of the empires. Possibly T'u Lung as it's not so widely used as Shou Lung or maybe Wa as it has that slightly different feel already. Has anyone else tried this?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Clans in Kara Tur

Post by Big Mac » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:22 pm

waylander39 wrote:Has anyone else tried this?
No, but I'd love to know how you think you might do this.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

waylander39
Troll

Post by waylander39 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:10 am

Well.... that's a good question, it'd be a matter of doing some serious rewriting of at least one nation's history, probably all of them to be honest. I was thinking of having the clans be more of a way of thinking/philosophy/behaviour which links a number of the noble families within (for the sake of argument and example) T'u Lung.

I'd probably set about writing up backgrounds for the major noble families, figure who their major players are and which one of the clans might fit the general aims and philosophy of the family in question. Obviously each of the clans would have a major impact on the politics of T'u Lung initially and by extension, the nations round about so that would have to be considered as well. I'm not saying it would be an easy or small job but it would mix things up a bit in Kara Tur and maybe breathe some new life into it.

That's about as much thought as I've put into it so far. I just didn't know how feasible it would be...

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:47 am

waylander39 wrote:Well.... that's a good question, it'd be a matter of doing some serious rewriting of at least one nation's history, probably all of them to be honest.
Hmm. Of course your alternative would be run Kara-Tur and Rokugan as two oriental lands that are separated by a big sea and make clans a Rokugan inspired import.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

waylander39
Troll

Post by waylander39 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:15 am

Big Mac wrote:
waylander39 wrote:Well.... that's a good question, it'd be a matter of doing some serious rewriting of at least one nation's history, probably all of them to be honest.
Hmm. Of course your alternative would be run Kara-Tur and Rokugan as two oriental lands that are separated by a big sea and make clans a Rokugan inspired import.
Yes that is another option and there's probably some free space round the back of Toril that I haven't earmarked for anything yet ( ;) )so that could be a distinct possibility...

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:26 pm

waylander39 wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Yes that is another option and there's probably some free space round the back of Toril that I haven't earmarked for anything yet ( ;) )so that could be a distinct possibility...
As a Spelljammer fan, I wouldn't be doing the "join campaigns together thing", but I figured that it could be the idea solution for other people who want to import anything from the 3e Oriental Adventures into Kara-Tur.

If you want to stick with the canon FR globe, you have that big unexplained continent in the Australia position (the one covered in big long lines that look like the Nasca Lines).

waylander39
Troll

Post by waylander39 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:29 pm

That actually was what I was thinking as the logical spot to pop it. Far enough from Kara tur to be different but not so far it can't be reached. Oh well another continent crossed off the list... where's next? :lol:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:54 pm

waylander39 wrote:That actually was what I was thinking as the logical spot to pop it. Far enough from Kara tur to be different but not so far it can't be reached. Oh well another continent crossed off the list... where's next? :lol:
Crossed off for you maybe. I've got to build Rokuganspace for it instead! :lol:

waylander39
Troll

Post by waylander39 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 pm

Ah but you like building those crystal spheres almost as much as I like filling up the empty spaces on the FR interactive atlas! :lol:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat May 02, 2009 1:38 pm

waylander39 wrote:Ah but you like building those crystal spheres almost as much as I like filling up the empty spaces on the FR interactive atlas! :lol:
I would do if I had time. :(

I guess, I should put you up against Havard, to see if you can fill up Forgotten Realms, before he can do the same for Mystara! :lol:

Return to “Kara-Tur”