The Deadliest Perfume

Oriental Adventures in Kara-Tur, the Eastern Realms.
The Book-House: Find Kara-Tur products.

Moderator: Cthulhudrew

Seethyr
Couatl

The Deadliest Perfume

Post by Seethyr » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Dragon Magazine 121 had an article called “ The Deadliest Perfume” that explored a bit of the lotus flower and using perfumes as poisons or for other effects. I’m curious if this has been used anywhere else or expanded upon in later editions. Does anyone use perfume as a magical item?
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: The Deadliest Perfume

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:53 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:06 pm
Dragon Magazine 121 had an article called “ The Deadliest Perfume” that explored a bit of the lotus flower and using perfumes as poisons or for other effects. I’m curious if this has been used anywhere else or expanded upon in later editions. Does anyone use perfume as a magical item?
I've never seen this before, but it is an interesting idea.

I think there are also supposed to be some fruits or nuts that have magical properties (according to real-world legends).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:38 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:53 pm
Seethyr wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:06 pm
I've never seen this before, but it is an interesting idea.

I think there are also supposed to be some fruits or nuts that have magical properties (according to real-world legends).
I could definitely see them taking on the properties of potions, but that's a bland concept to me. I'd definitely use the poison angle, but there's got to be better ideas as well. And this of course could carry over to the nuts
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Cromstar
Gnoll

Post by Cromstar » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:47 pm

I want to say there are some incense based magical items, which would be similar to perfume in that they are an olfactory agent?

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:05 am

Lotus dust has always been an inhaled intoxicant/poison in fantasy - and some fantasy games.

REH had several varieties in his stories - not only Conan, but others as well - most of which had varying effects depending on whether they were administered through odor, dust, or potion form.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Digitalelf
Bugbear

Post by Digitalelf » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:53 pm

I've used incense as a poisoning agent before, but never perfumes.

On the subject of magical perfumes:

Encyclopedia Magica Volume II lists 6 magical perfumes, one of which (Perfume of Curdled Death) has the ability to "slay all living creatures of 3 HD (or 3 Levels) or less who come within 5 feet of the wearer". Potential "victims" are allowed a save vs. spell to avoid the effects however. The original source for this item was the (2e) Tome of Magic.
-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

Return to “Kara-Tur”