Kaiju/Gargantua

Oriental Adventures in Kara-Tur, the Eastern Realms.
The Book-House: Find Kara-Tur products.

Moderator: Cthulhudrew

Seethyr
Couatl

Kaiju/Gargantua

Post by Seethyr » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:57 am

In Dragon Magazine issue 289 a type of monster was introduced that really brought out the little kid in me that sat hours in front of the TV watching Godzilla movies. These "kaiju" if you don't remember the article, were basically an upgrade of the "gargantua" monsters from 1e Kara-Tur, but had much more flexibility than just the Reptilian (obviously Godzilla), Humanoid (obviously Kong) and Krakentua (obviously made by someone who experimented in mind alteration a bit much in college or read a lot of Lovecraft :D ).

The article itself detailed three kaiju. One based off of a bulette (Gareshona), one a giant octopus (Sharugu), ane one off of a half-fiend monstrous centipede (Hotu-Bakete). In addition, I have seen a Yrthak done somewhere else (He-Who-Hums) and even a carrion crawler in the Age of Worms campaign (think it was the Mother of Worms or something like that).

Anywhoo, I would love to run my own little Monster Island in Kara-Tur. Has anyone ever run a campaign that utilized any of these creatures? Have you ever created your own kaiju? What do you think would make a good kaiju?
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Seethyr
Couatl

Re: Kaiju/Gargantua

Post by Seethyr » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:00 am

By the way, my lore isn't that up to date on Kara-Tur, but I seem to remember there actually WAS a monster island somewhere. I also believe I remember the Krakentua was its king or somesuch...
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:30 pm

Kara-Tur also included insectoid gargantuas (that is, Mothra). The krakentua isn't a gargantua sub-type, but a "demon spirit" of some kind.

There's several "monster islands" in Mad Monkey vs. the Dragon Claw, containing humanoid, insectoid, and reptilian gargantuas (one gargantua per island). There are no krakentua in that adventure.

Test of the Samurai has an "Isle of Gargantuas" which does have a krakentua on it. It's located in the Outer Isles of Wa.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:25 am

ripvanwormer wrote:
There's several "monster islands" in Mad Monkey vs. the Dragon Claw, containing humanoid, insectoid, and reptilian gargantuas (one gargantua per island). There are no krakentua in that adventure.

Test of the Samurai has an "Isle of Gargantuas" which does have a krakentua on it. It's located in the Outer Isles of Wa.

Ahh there we go. I kept rummaging through the Kara-Tur boxed set swearing up and down that it was in there. Thanks for stopping that frustration!
ripvanwormer wrote:Kara-Tur also included insectoid gargantuas (that is, Mothra). The krakentua isn't a gargantua sub-type, but a "demon spirit" of some kind.
Using the kaiju template from Dragon, Krakentua could easily be done again. If you recall, the template basically made creatures colossal and gave them some very powerful abilities. "Natural" kaiju tend to hate "outsider" kaiju according to the template and this might work nice for the krakentua. But what creature to use then? The obvious answer is kraken, but I remember the its artwork looking more like an illithid.

Anyway, I was thinking of statting out some of the the more famous kaiju (Godzilla, Gamera, Rodan, Ghidra, Mothra, Kong, etc.) but I figured someone had done it already, and I was right. Check it out if you're interested..

Toho Kingdom

Also, here is one of many Demiurge did on En World...good stuff!

http://www.enworld.org/forum/homebrews/ ... gigan.html

If anyone is interested, I may work out some new kaiju stats. These ones I'd actually like to base off of the template found in Dragon. Maybe even give them a decent Kara-tur backstory.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:03 am

Kobold Quaterly #5 has a kaiju article. It treats them a little differently than a template. The kaiju are undefeatable by normal means and suggest other means for the PCs to defeat them.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
ImageImage

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:25 am

Yeah, the krakentua is basically a squid-headed giant humanoid. More like an illithid than a kraken.

http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/abe ... kentua.htm

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:17 am

I wonder if you could use the gammaroid, from MC9 Monstrous Compendium Spelljammer Appendix II.

I'm not sure of the scale of the other monsters, but the gammaroid could be scaled down, or up, if necessary.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:35 am

Big Mac wrote:I wonder if you could use the gammaroid, from MC9 Monstrous Compendium Spelljammer Appendix II.

I'm not sure of the scale of the other monsters, but the gammaroid could be scaled down, or up, if necessary.
Monsters like the gammaroid would make a great opponent for kaiju. When I find some time to run my group a bit in Kara-Tur, I think I'd like to make a "Monster Island" and include monsters like a hemmo...er, gammaroid.

Any other monsters that are considered Kaiju-like in feel? I'm not just talking about everything that is big, but ones that you could also see traipsing through a major city taking out a building with every footstep.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:59 am

Seethyr wrote:Any other monsters that are considered Kaiju-like in feel? I'm not just talking about everything that is big, but ones that you could also see traipsing through a major city taking out a building with every footstep.
Offhand, there is the Earthquake Beetle from module M2/Creature Catalog; there's the Leveller/Bodendruker from module CM6/Creature Catalog; and of course, the Earthshaker from module CM4.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:58 am

I need to look these monsters up. I can't believe I forgot to mention the Tarrasque!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

blackaeon
Troll

Post by blackaeon » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:39 pm

I was going to suggest modifying the Dragon of Tyr from 2ed Dark Sun, that'd make a good, very mystically powerful one a la Fin Fang Foom from Marvel Comics or the like.
Mostly a Ravenloft expert, with a good deal of knowledge about Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Spelljammer, and a bunch of non-D&D related games. Also a Hell of a cook.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:36 am

blackaeon wrote:I was going to suggest modifying the Dragon of Tyr from 2ed Dark Sun, that'd make a good, very mystically powerful one a la Fin Fang Foom from Marvel Comics or the like.
Give him the multiheaded template and you have King Ghidra!

I'm gearing up to write up a Kaiju using the Dragon mag template based off of a giant scorpion pretty soon. Maybe I'll get really weird and have it be a Kaiju Tauric Monstrous Scorpion whose torso is (insert suggestion here).

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:37 am

Hmmm. wonders how Mothra would be statted up
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:43 am

This isn't great but....

Mothra

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:25 am

Seethyr wrote:This isn't great but....

Mothra
:o Wait, they made mothra a deity?

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:58 pm

Of course! Didn't she have two little pint sized twin clerics that annoyingly spoke in unison?

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:27 am

Seethyr wrote:Of course! Didn't she have two little pint sized twin clerics that annoyingly spoke in unison?
I don't remember. I haven't watched Godzilla vs Mothra (1964) since the early '80s.

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:06 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
Seethyr wrote:Of course! Didn't she have two little pint sized twin clerics that annoyingly spoke in unison?
I don't remember. I haven't watched Godzilla vs Mothra (1964) since the early '80s.
Yes, Mothra did have the 2 pint sized girls.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

PNutRaygs
Orc

Post by PNutRaygs » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:11 am

Here's my first attempt at writing up a Kaiju using Dragon Mag 289

Chikata, Kaiju Monstrous Huge Scorpion
Colossal Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 50D10 + 450 (725 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 50 ft, Fly 50 ft (poor)
AC: 38
Attacks: 2 Claws +58 Melee, Sting +53 Melee
Damage: Sting 4d6 +16, Claw 2d8 +8
Face/Reach: 40 ft x 80 ft / 20 ft
Special Attacks: Constrict, Poison, Trample, Lightning Claws, Thunder Stinger, Windstorm, Call Lightning
Special Qualities: Darkvision 120ft, Tremorsense, Damage Reduction 25/+5, Resistances, Immune to Mind-Influencing Effects, Fast Healing 20, See Invisibility, SR 32
Saves: Fort +36 Ref +27 Will +16
Abilities: Str 43 Dex 10 Con 28 Int 2 Wis 10 Cha 22
Skills: Climb +29, Spot +21
Feats: Battle Roar, Thunderous Roar, Improved Trample, Staggering Roar, Power Attack
Climate/Terrain: Jungle
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 22
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement Range: --

Constrict (Ex): Chikata deals automatic claw damage on a successful grapple check. The damage from Lightning claws may also apply (see below).

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, Chikata must hit with a claw attack. He uses his Strength modifier (+16) for Grapple checks.

Poison (Ex): The poison sting of Chikata does initial and secondary damage of 1d6 constitution (DC44).

Trample (Ex): Chikata‘s devastating trample attack does 4d12 +16 damage on any creature Gargantuan size or smaller. Trampled opponents may attempt an attack of opportunity but at a -4 penalty. They may also attempt a Reflex save for half damage (DC 51).

Lightning Claws (Su): Chikata’s claws may become energized with electricity (appearing as crackling lightning) as a standard action once per minute. This last for 1d4+1 rounds and each claw attack deals an extra 3d6 electrical damage during these rounds. This damage is not multiplied on a critical hit.

Thunder Stinger (Su): Once every 1d4 rounds, Chikata may fire a beam of concentrated sonic energy from his tail stinger. He must make a ranged touch attack to hit his target with the ray. The ray itself has a range of 300ft and if it hits, it causes 15d6 points of energy damage (sonic). The attack, much like Chikata’s roar, can be heard throughout his island like a thunderous clap (though it has no effect outside of its target).

Windstorm (Ex): As a standard action, Chikata can blast an area with powerful gusts of wind by flapping its wings. This blast of wind creates a 100-foot-long cone of hurricane force wind. All flames in this region are extinguished. Ranged attacks are impossible to make while the windstorm is in effect (except siege attacks which suffer a -8 penalty to attack). Listen checks are impossible. Creatures of Medium size or smaller are knocked prone and roll 1d4 x 10 feet, sustaining 1d4 points of subdual damage per 10 feet. Flying creatures of Medium size or smaller are blown back 2d6 x 10 feet and sustain 2d6 points of subdual damage. Creatures of Large size on the ground must make the same saving throw or be knocked prone. Flying creatures of Large size are blown back 1d6 x 10 feet. Flying creatures of Huge size are blown back 1d6 x 5 feet.

Call Lightning (Sp): Chikata may Call Lightning 3x/day as if cast by a 20th level sorcerer.

Tremorsense (Ex): Chikata can automatically sense the location of anything within 120ft that is in contact with the ground.

Resistances (Ex): Chikata has Energy Resistance 50 to Fire, Sonic and Electricity.

Immune to Mind-Influencing Effects (Ex): Chikata is immune to charms, compulsions phantasms, patterns, morale effects and all other mind influencing effects.

See Invisibility (Su): Chikata can continuously see invisibility as the spell cast by a 20th level sorcerer. He can suppress or resume this ability as a free action.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:40 am

PNutRaygs wrote:Here's my first attempt at writing up a Kaiju using Dragon Mag 289

<snip>
:o :| ;) :) :D :twisted:

That's one bad motha-f
EDIT: Shaft told me to watch my language.

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

blackaeon
Troll

Post by blackaeon » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:17 pm

That is a scary, scary kaiju! Congratulations on an awesome build that I may eventually kidnap for a game sometime while giving you full credit ;)
Mostly a Ravenloft expert, with a good deal of knowledge about Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Spelljammer, and a bunch of non-D&D related games. Also a Hell of a cook.

PNutRaygs
Orc

Post by PNutRaygs » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:43 pm

Lol thanks all, you made my day! :D

Seether wrote a nice little history up for the bugger in the Maztica Scorpionfolk project that's being worked on in the Maztica Alive group. I won't give it all away, but lets just say Chikata's pop doesn't want anything to do with his son anymore. There's actually a small potential Maztica/Kara-Tur crossover going on (wish I knew more about Kara-Tur).

I am now inspired to Kaiju up some more vermin, beasts or magical beasts. I'm thinking of a Kaiju Giant Velvet Worm (a creature from the last page of Lost Empires of Faerun). The only thing is, I really want to find some art that fits the creature first. ;)

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:31 am

:o That is totally awesome!
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:25 am

PNUTRaygs' kaiju is just too cool to let it stay alive. So here is someone that might give it a run for its money. I tried to use her same format. Also, one of my favorite parts of the Kaiju article in dragon is the new abilities it describes. Here's one I added specifically so I could give it to this guy...

Extra Appendage (Ex): The kaiju gains a new appendage on its body, or significantly alters an existing appendage. Each new appendage has an attack form of its own and does damage as either a slam, tentacle, bite, claw, sting, gore or tail as shown on page 296 of the Monster Manual. The kaiju may use this attack as its primary attack and it is always part of its full round attack. If the kaiju currently has only one natural attack, the strength bonus on that attack is lowered from 1½ times its strength modifier to simply its strength modifier.

VAGNOSAURUS, KAIJU MEGARAPTOR
Colossal Magical Beast (Augmented)
Hit Dice: 48d10+626 (890 hp)
Initiative: +1 (Dex)
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: 36 (+1 Dex, +33 natural, -8 size), touch 3, flat-
footed 35
Base Attack/Grapple: +48/+83
Attack:Talons +59 melee (4d8+19)
Full Attack: Talons +59 melee (4d8+19) and 2 foreclaws +54
melee (2d6+9) and bite +54 melee (4d6+9) and sting +54
melee (2d8+9)
Space/Reach: 30 ft./30 ft.
Special Attacks: Pounce, extra appendage (stinger), battle frenzy, breath weapon
Special Qualities: Death throws, fast healing 20, immune to mind-influencing effects, resistances, darkvision 120 ft., low-light vision, scent, damage reduction 25/+5, spell resistance 31
Saves: Fort +39, Ref +27, Will +18
Abilities: Str 49, Dex 13, Con 37, Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 30
Skills: Hide +12, Jump +35, Listen +18, Spot +18, Survival +18
Feats: Run, Toughness, Track, Improved Trample, Battle Roar
Climate/Terrain: Warm forests (Maztica)
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 21
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always chaotic neutral
Advancement Range:

The monstrosity known as the Vagnosaurus superficially resembles a colossal, yellow-skinned dinosaur. The resemblance, however, ends at its massive tail stinger and chitinous exoskeleton. The creature’s massive teeth and glowing green eyes would strike fear into the greatest of dragons.

The Vagnosaurus is a perfect example of good intentions gone wrong.

Even with his legendary confidence, when Cordell first encountered the Star-Worm H’Calos, he did not believe the worm could be defeated through conventional means. One of his most powerful wizards, Artur Vagnos, offered a solution after a few disastrous battles. He had discovered the beast Chikata on a remote island and believed that if he could get his hands on some of this beast’s tissue, he could infuse a captured dinosaur from the Jungles of Chult with Chikata’s essence. The dinosaur, he claimed, would defeat the Star Worm.

Unfortunately, Artur spoke the truth. Heroes in Cordell’s employ had a successful mission in obtaining a single shaving of Chikata’s claw (that was imbedded in one of their fallen allies). Using an unknown artifact in his possession, Artur did manage to infuse a captured megaraptor. Though he planned on using the same artifact to control his “Vagnosaurus, ” it failed him. All of its power had been spent in the Vagnosaurus’ creation and there was nothing left to influence its actions. Artur was the new beings first victim.

Soon after its “birth” the Vagnosaurus fled into the jungle, not understanding its own existence, but feeling only hunger. It also feels a strange urge to travel west into the sea, though it does not know why.

Pounce (Ex): If Vagnosaurus charges, it can make a full attack.

Trample (Ex): The trample attack of Vagnosaurus does 4d12+9 damage on any creature Gargantuan size or smaller. Trampled opponents may attempt an attack of opportunity but at a -4 penalty. They may also attempt a Reflex save for half damage (DC 53).

Extra Appendage (Ex): Vagnosaurus’ tail has been replaced with a scorpion-like stinger due to its origin and connection to Chikata. He uses this tail during a full round attack for 2d8+9 damage.

Tremorsense (Ex): Vagnosaurus can automatically sense the location of anything within 120ft that is in contact with the ground.

Death Throes (Su): If Vagnosaurus is killed, he will explode in a sonic burst that deals 20d6 points of damage to everything within 100 feet. Creatures in this range may make a Reflex save (DC 47) for half damage.

Immune to Mind-Influencing Effects (Ex): Vagnosaurus is immune to charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, morale effects and all other mind influencing effects.

Battle Frenzy (Ex): When Vagnosaurus is reduced to 25% of its maximum hit points, it gains a +4 bonus to Strength and can make an additional melee attack with its talons each round at a -5 penalty. If Vagnosaurus is healed above 25% of its maximum hit points, this benefit ends.

Resistances (Ex): Vagnosaurus has Energy Resistance 50 to Fire, Sonic and Cold.

Breath Weapon (Su): Every 1d4 rounds, Vagnosaurus can breathe a line of fire ten feet wide and ten feet high to a distance of 100 ft. The fire does 10d6 points of fire damage and creatures can make a Reflex save at DC 47 for half damage.

Skills: Vagnosaurus has a +8 racial bonus on Hide, Jump, Listen, Spot and Survival checks.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:26 am

Hmm, I may have to dig out Dragon #289 and stat up a macro-medium (Immortals Handbook Bestiary; Mongoose Publishing) kaiju t-rex.

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Return to “Kara-Tur”