Kaiju/Gargantua

Oriental Adventures in Kara-Tur, the Eastern Realms.
The Book-House: Find Kara-Tur products.

Moderator: Cthulhudrew

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Re: Kaiju/Gargantua

Post by Azaghal » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:08 pm

Damn that is awesome Seethyr! Wow! I might have to start learning 3e/3.5e.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:24 pm

Azaghal wrote:Damn that is awesome Seethyr! Wow! I might have to start learning 3e/3.5e.
Thanks so much! Glad you liked it.
Twin Agate Dragons wrote:Hmm, I may have to dig out Dragon #289 and stat up a macro-medium (Immortals Handbook Bestiary; Mongoose Publishing) kaiju t-rex.
Please please do lol.

Just a quick note on what PNutRaygs and I have been doing with this recently is doing a search for "kaiju" on deviantArt (thanks PNut for that suggestion) and then emailing the artists for permission to use the art. Funny thing is, last few artists I've contact were all avid gamers! Go figure.

After we find the art, the template in Dragon makes it super easy. The rules turned out to be quite elegant, though it needs a small bit of conversion for 3.5 (nothing much really, just looking up changes in Face/Reach vs. Space/Reach and such). Find the D&D monster that most closely resembles your kaiju and voila...insta godzilla.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:15 am

Here are some more abilities that might be added to the template from Dragon. things like this always happened in the movies so I figured they might work with the flavor.

Immortality (Su): Some kaiju can be slain in battle, but will always eventually reappear after a long period of hibernation. Kaiju who have this ability transform into a swarm of fine sized creatures related to the kaiju, motes of light that disperse into the sky, or some other unique form when the kaiju is killed. Typically it takes 5d20 years for the kaiju to reappear. A kaiju with this ability can be permanently slain with the use of either a wish or a miracle spell after it is slain in battle.

Energy Boost (Ex): The kaiju is so closely connected to an energy type that it gains great strength and stamina when exposed to large quantities of the energy. The energy type must be one that the kaiju has resistance of at least 50, or is immune to. If the kaiju is struck with over 50 points of damage from such an element (either sonic, acid, cold, fire or lightning), it temporarily gains a bonus of +10 to strength. In addition, the kaiju gains 50 temporary hit points that disappear when the battle is over. This bonus can only occur once in any given battle, though the damage does not necessarily have to come from an attack (a lightning storm, acid pit, or lava may do just fine). The extra strength and hit points all disappear at the conclusion of the battle.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:33 pm

I`m not surprised that most of the artists are also gamers, every artist I personally know is.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:50 pm

Azaghal wrote:I`m not surprised that most of the artists are also gamers, every artist I personally know is.
Very true. They all seem to want the netbook once it's done too, even the ones that don't play.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:46 am

Seethyr wrote:
Azaghal wrote:I`m not surprised that most of the artists are also gamers, every artist I personally know is.
Very true. They all seem to want the netbook once it's done too, even the ones that don't play.
That doesn`t surprise me at all, after all it adds to their portfolio and lets people see how their work has been used/inspired others.

I just had a laugh; I used to have a 10" Godzilla that had an open mouth that could hold a d20. For a few years I used him as a prop sitting at the gaming table.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:19 pm

Azaghal wrote:
Seethyr wrote:
That doesn`t surprise me at all, after all it adds to their portfolio and lets people see how their work has been used/inspired others.

I just had a laugh; I used to have a 10" Godzilla that had an open mouth that could hold a d20. For a few years I used him as a prop sitting at the gaming table.
Hey is that the one that used to shoot it's fist? My brother hit me in the nose with that once ;(

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:29 pm

No, it was just a cheap one. I also had a Mechagodzilla with a roar button.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:59 pm

Seethyr wrote:Hey is that the one that used to shoot it's fist? My brother hit me in the nose with that once ;(
Oh man, that brings back memories. I still have that one (stored somewhere in my parent's house). I loved that toy. He was bigger than 10" though if I recall correctly.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:27 pm

Chimpman wrote:
Seethyr wrote:Hey is that the one that used to shoot it's fist? My brother hit me in the nose with that once ;(
Oh man, that brings back memories. I still have that one (stored somewhere in my parent's house). I loved that toy. He was bigger than 10" though if I recall correctly.
I`m thinking mine might exist still, buried in the back of the storage room with my minis. I won`t get to deal with that stuff for a while yet.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:51 pm

Seethyr wrote:I need to look these monsters up. I can't believe I forgot to mention the Tarrasque!
I hope you have yourself a copy of Echohawk's list of all D&D creatures. You will be able to find every monster on that as well as sources for 3e conversions.
Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
Seethyr wrote:This isn't great but....

Mothra
:o Wait, they made mothra a deity?
Maybe that could be scaled down to make it an avatar.
Seethyr wrote:Of course! Didn't she have two little pint sized twin clerics that annoyingly spoke in unison?
I wonder if they could be swapped out for halfling shaman.

I think I've been talking to the OA fans too much. I just had a vision of Sailor Moon halflings that were each named after one of the celestial bodies of Realmspace! :lol:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Kara-Tur”