Kara-Tur — Is it Greenwoodian enough?

Oriental Adventures in Kara-Tur, the Eastern Realms.
The Book-House: Find Kara-Tur products.

Moderator: Cthulhudrew

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Re: Kara-Tur — Is it Greenwoodian enough?

Post by rabindranath72 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:30 am

I always felt that OA and Kara-Tur should have been left alone, as examples of different fantasy framework in contrast with the typically Western type of fantasy described in the D&D settings.
Kara-Tur as described in 1e OA is not explicitly part of Oerth/Greyhawk (i.e. there is no reference in the book.) It's just an example of an oriental-style setting, which could well exist on his own, much like Rokugan in the 3e OA.
It's interesting that Kara-Tur was already mentioned in the 1e grey box, even before the publication of the boxed set. It somewhat makes sense, since the FR setting made use of all the AD&D 1e books published at the time, and this includes the Oriental Adventures book.

Jorkens
Stone Giant

Post by Jorkens » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:02 am

Big Mac wrote:
Jorkens wrote:I remember trying to work out this for a Candlekeep Compendium article years ago concerning the borderlands where Faerun, Kara-Tur and Zakhara met. The nearest I got to a workable idea was that thousands of years ago, a small conclave of Imaskari wizards fled into the region and put up a cloaked magical barrier of some sort at the top of the mountains that served to protect them from both sides. The monks of Tabot and the Yak-men where the only ones that knew the secret at all, with the monks trying to preserve the barrier and the Yak-men seeking to find the secret magic used to construct the barrier in the first place.
Do you think that Malatra (the Living Jungle setting) could have been placed here to plug up the gap?
Sorry (and sorry for the late answer) but I have no knowledge of Malatra. And that was also the last time I ever thought about the Realms along the lines of canon, so by now I have huge problems giving any suggestion that would fit with the established setting.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:35 pm

Jorkens wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Jorkens wrote:I remember trying to work out this for a Candlekeep Compendium article years ago concerning the borderlands where Faerun, Kara-Tur and Zakhara met. The nearest I got to a workable idea was that thousands of years ago, a small conclave of Imaskari wizards fled into the region and put up a cloaked magical barrier of some sort at the top of the mountains that served to protect them from both sides. The monks of Tabot and the Yak-men where the only ones that knew the secret at all, with the monks trying to preserve the barrier and the Yak-men seeking to find the secret magic used to construct the barrier in the first place.
Do you think that Malatra (the Living Jungle setting) could have been placed here to plug up the gap?
Sorry (and sorry for the late answer) but I have no knowledge of Malatra. And that was also the last time I ever thought about the Realms along the lines of canon, so by now I have huge problems giving any suggestion that would fit with the established setting.
It is well worth taking a look at Malatra, just in case it interests you.

Malatra was part of the Eastern Realms. The RPGA did a Living Campaign called Living Jungle and they decided to set it in Malatra. But rather than just put it there, they decided to have part of Malatra get thrust a thousand feet above the surrounding area and have it concealed by magic. (Even spelljamming ships can't see the area.)

We have several topics about Malatra (and maybe one day it might get its own subforum):
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Kara-Tur”