My Maps of Maztica & Katshaka

Mezo-American adventures in Maztica, the True World.
The Book-House: Find Maztica products.
Markustay
Orc

My Maps of Maztica & Katshaka

Post by Markustay » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:19 pm

I haven't been around these halls in awhile, but the work other's are doing on Maztica (Seethyr, Jürgen, tec.) had me go and do (or rather, re-do) a map of Maztica. I had made it for a conversion - shoe-horning returned Abeir INTO Maztica, so we could have both, which is why the 'right coast' (east) look a bit different than canon, and why the 'crotch' goes deeper into the continent (both to mimic some of Abeir's shape). Since I already had a good chunk of the map done for that project, I decided to just leave it. Not only could the regional maps have been wrong (it was recently discovered, after all), but the continent did go to another planet, AND BACK, so all sorts of geographic oddities may have occurred. Plus, its just not a bad idea to have a little more land to play with.

That project - initiated by Seethyr - lead to me then finishing another project I had started a long time ago - doing the terrain of Katashaka. That map showed the lower half of Lopango, which my Maztica map was missing, so the two were complimentary. When I began that, my intention was to blend it with Nyambe, since that was just about the only purely Africanesque setting around at the time. Instead, now I have decided to use the Xen'drik material from Eberron, because it lends itself beautifully to both the region, and FR's own lore (regarding the ancient Giant/Dragon Wars). The fact that canon Xendrik lore says that there is some sort of 'planer instability' going on in the region is just icing on the cake, and I have decided to fold all of this complimentary lore into my own homebrew lore on the Feywild (where the Giants originated - it used to be The Giantlands, before the Fey invaded and took-over). I already have a LOT of stuff worked-out, but probably not even 10% of what I want to do. Basically, the REAL project (fleshing-out Katashaka) will come later, but with this McGuffin in-place, I can 'loot' Eberron lore without it being a direct conversion, because the ruins literally are the same ruins, in-game. Like so many adventure-sites in 4e (the published adventures), the giant-related stuff becomes 'use anywhere'... which just happens to save me a TON of work that has already been done by others with the wonderful 3e Xen'drik book. I've got my 'foundation' - now I can build something amazing on top of it.

Maztica map

Katashaka map

Both should be considered 'Works-In-Progress', and I plan to add more locales to both. Some names - especially in Katshaka itself, are place-holders until something better comes along. My intent with the Maztica one was to update it with places from the work of others (I don't plan to touch the lore of Maz. myself - there are already enough 'chefs' working on that). However, if people's work here and elsewhere are not cross-compatible, that might be a problem. If that is the case, then I suppose I could have one master-map, and let others do their own thing with my maps (in other words, use them for your stuff and add to them, if you like).

The one oddity about the Katshaka map that differs from ALL my other maps is that I used the dark red to signify ruins that may or may not be there. If has to do with the nature of the Juton-Mangu (Giant Marches - apart of the outer-rim of the Feywild). Unfortunately, that's the color I was using for mountains/hills labels, so I had to use the color I have been using for subterranean locals, which is the purple. That means I can't really place subterranean locals without more confusion (at the time I started this, I never foresaw this becoming as big a project as I now think its going to be - lack of foresight on my part). I'll probably switch back to my standard coloring for future versions of these maps (which is based off the old 3e FR maps).

Once I have a decent Overview written up - and another very basic (YEAH... riiiiight...) map complete, I will be starting a new Katashaka-specific thread, but I would like it to stay in this sub-forum, because as you can see by the maps, its all interrelated. If you want to read more about those island-chains, you can do so by viewing my one Candlekeep Compendium Article on The Sea Gates, In CKC IX. That was written back when I still pictured Katashaka being Nyambe, but I am trying to keep it all consistent, regardless. There is also a great article in that same issue that is also pertinent to Maztica, written by Brian James - the author of the Grand History of the Realms. And one last thing -the natives would not be calling it Katashaka, just like Native Americans never called it 'America'. That's a name Faerûnians got from Mazticans (who know of the continent to the south - brave folk have been crossing the straight for years). I am using that name on the map because this whole thing would be from a Realms-centric PoV. Assume 'Katashaka' translates to 'Land of the Big Folk' in some Lopango tongue.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?" -Shirdi Sai Baba

Seethyr
Couatl

Re: My Maps of Maztica & Katshaka

Post by Seethyr » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:24 pm

Markustay these maps are fantastic as usual. It won’t be my version in the end for Katashaka but I’ll definitely be using the Maztica one (and I’ll likely take a lot from the Katashaka one, just not all). I hope to add location names at some point. Is that an easy thing to do? I have no mapmaking skills of my own unfortunately.

I particularly like that there seems to be more room. Almost every adventure I have written has somehow touched on Far Payit because of its full on Mayan theme and it was getting way too crowded. It looks like there is more available land at this point.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Markustay
Orc

Post by Markustay » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:48 pm

Adding labels is easy. For me, at any rate. especially since I have the master files.

Since all of this started because of your request, when you have everything you need worked-out, let me know and I'll place them for you, so it won't look different than what was already done.

The fact that I can pretty-much create me own setting, right next to a bunch of people already working on something, and have it all be 'Forgotten Realms' is pretty awesome. I get to flex my world-building muscles in a way I usually don't get to do, and yet connect it all to my favorite setting. I can't ask for more than that.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?" -Shirdi Sai Baba

Jürgen Hubert
Bugbear

Post by Jürgen Hubert » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:55 am

Nice work!

One comment, though: Real world Mesoamerica is dominated by lots of highlands plateaus. Mexico city, for example, is at an elevation of 7,380 ft. But the original Maztica maps don't have anything like this - they only have a select number of mountain ranges that start at 2,000 ft and quickly rise up, while the rest of the land (including Nexal) is in the lowlands. They don't even have map symbols for "hills"!

I am also planning to draw some new maps of Maztica, and I am planning to adjust the geography for hills and highland plateaus. Thus, it will probably have some significant differences with your maps, and those of others.
Returned Maztica - a new vision for Maztica in the 5th Edition era of the Forgotten Realms! Learn how the continent has changed after invasions and dragonfire, and take part as the people of Maztica finally take their destinies into their own hands!

Markustay
Orc

Post by Markustay » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:10 am

I just converted the lowest level of mountains to my 'hills' terrain type - I figure hills are just BIGGER in Maztica. Also, you do get some of the elevation - if I stripped the trees out (I really should do that - they're on a separate layer anyway), you'll see all the 'highlands' (my hill terrain shading) that were beneath the trees. I do this with ALL my maps - the hill/mounatin ranges always extend into the woodlands, its just that the nature of most FR maps doesn't allow us showing this. Most of the right 'leg' of Maztica is on a vast plateau (2000' plus) - they just don't show it very well with the original maps. You'll note that there is 'low mountain' terrain type between all the forest there - those aren't just strips of cleared area - if those are hills/mountains (and they are), then those are MOUNTAIN TRAILS, which means the mountains all extend under all of that. When I do the mountain ranges - without the forests - I have to have them make logical sense, falling out in realistic, RW patterns. I'll try to post the Maztica maps without the forest tomorrow, to show you. Just think of that tan terrain coloring as either hilly land (in FR proper) or plateaus in Maztica, but the elevations remain the same (up to 2000K' - you just don't get many valleys with the plateaus).

So all of that jungle is not on flat land - at least not flat at sea-level. The maps are misleading because the jungle hides whats going on there.

I will eventually go north and finish an Achoromé map I was doing, but it won't have any locales on it, just terrain. I figure when the Faerûnians first discovered the island chains (I have to add those), the folk on them said the newcomers were in Anchoromé, so they just assumed the whole thing - continent and all - was Anchoromé, when in fact the natives were only talking about the islands (which solves the discrepancy between Ed's Anchoromé and the published one. The continent was misnamed Anchormé because of that (just like Columbus misnamed native Americans 'Indians').

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:16 pm

Wow, those are some really nice maps :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun May 06, 2018 9:30 pm

Looting material from Xen'drik is an interesting idea.

There can not be too many people who want to run a game that features both Maztica and Eberron, as it isn't easy to get from one setting to the other.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Maztica”