Zaltec Worshippers

Mezo-American adventures in Maztica, the True World.
The Book-House: Find Maztica products.
cptmorgan
Orc

Zaltec Worshippers

Post by cptmorgan »

I'm still working these out so I'm interested in thoughts.

The devout. She is all in on Zaltec. Chips are down. Decided to do Wis as main stat, as she's a cleric. Love the hearteater axe.
https://imgur.com/FxFtp7b

Next is a paladin. Same, Wis as main stat. Realized that she should probably be using hishna and not foreign magic. I love exhausting wave, and I'm still tweaking the mechanics of it. I was previously playing with it behind two DCs (fail both a Con and Dex and get hit with 1 exhaustion). That worked when the monster they were fighting had a DC19, PCs can fail two DC18s in a row. But paladin is DC12, basically 50-50 when PCs are level 1 (cause Dex and Con are popular stats). When they're level 5 or higher, it's rare that they'd fail DC12 twice in a row. So either up her DC, or still tweak exhaustion. Maybe its 6th level evocation but does 2 levels of exhaustion behind one CON save....I don't know. Like the first level of exhaustion is not great, but doesn't effect combat all that much. 2nd screws with any mobile encounter, but if you're ranged doesn't effect you. Then 3rd takes you completely out of the encounter. Then 4th and 5th mean you're almost entirely useless. It's exponential, and I'm still figuring out how to budget for an exponential stacking effect. It's interesting, but difficult to puzzle out.
Anyways, here's the hishna paladin, as yet unfinished. I'll edit this post when I finish them.
https://imgur.com/O2xoNHj

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Zaltec Worshippers

Post by Big Mac »

These documents look awesome.

I assume they are 5e (which I don't play). I really like the layout. It looks like you have found a way to get it all to flow very well.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr »

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:00 pm

I assume they are 5e (which I don't play)...
What will it take for us to change this? Hrmmm? :lol: :P

realistically they do look great. I also love how you are working through a lot of NPC types instead of just standard monsters.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

cptmorgan
Orc

Post by cptmorgan »

I just really love the Zaltec NPCs. They always have a cat, and are sipping some spiced cacao juice.
https://imgur.com/OlwX0sP

Also fixed up my zaltec devout.
https://imgur.com/EVvStet

----compare with scalesnare, a 2nd level spell, net is only a grapple (only 0ft speed, no disadvantage).
NET
Conjuration cantrip [hishna]
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30ft.
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

You conjure a rope net from you outstretched hand and fire it in the direction of a creature. You can make a ranged spell attack against a Large or smaller creature. If successful, the creature is grappled until freed or the net dissipates. The net has no effect on creatures that are formless or larger than Medium.
A creature can make a Strength (Athletics) check against your spell save to free itself. Dealing 5 slashing damage to the net will destroy it.
The net dissipates by itself after 1 hour.

SCALESNARE
2nd-level transmutation [hishna]
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (shed skin of a snake)
Duration: Instantaneous

This spell transforms the discarded skin of a snake into a grasping tentacle. You must make a melee spell attack on a Large or smaller creature. On success, the target is restrained and remains restrained until is makes a successful Strength saving throw against your spell save DC. In addition, the target drops any objects or equipment it is holder.
You must make the spell attack on the same turn that scalesnare is cast.

---vomit swarm is an amazing distraction. Ranged spell at guard, suddenly he's vomiting slugs.

VOMIT SWARM
2nd-level conjuration [hishna]
Range: Self
Components: S
Duration: 1 minute

You double over as you vomit forth a swarm of insects into an adjacent space. It attacks all other creatures near it. It is not under your control, but does not attack you.
Vomit swarm can also be cast on a creature within 30ft., as a reaction before the creature uses its action, by making a ranged spell attack. On a hit, the target uses its action to vomit forth a swarm of insects into an adjacent space. The swarm attacks creatures around it, but does not attack you.

----I think I finally nailed a balance between what a 3rd level aoe spell should feel like and the extremely overpowered stacking of exhaustion in 5e.
EXHAUSTING WAVE
3rd-level evocation [hishna]
Range: 30ft.
Components: V, S, M (a handful of sand)
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes

You raise your hands and a shimmering wave of heat emanates from you in a 30ft. cone. Each creature in the area must make a successful Dexterity saving throw against your spell save DC or be hit by the spell. Hit creatures must make a successful Constitution saving throw or gain 1 level of exhaustion. As an action, for the duration of the spell, you can force hit creatures with 120ft. to make a successful Constitution saving throw or gain 1 level of exhaustion.
Multiple failed saving throws can lead to stacked levels of exhaustion, to a maximum of 5 levels.

Return to “Maztica”