Did Maztica deities ever get specialty priests?

Mezo-American adventures in Maztica, the True World.
The Book-House: Find Maztica products.
thorr-kan
Troll

Did Maztica deities ever get specialty priests?

Post by thorr-kan »

For either the main setting or for the City of Gold?

Or were those handled by the different priest kits for the cleric class, like Al-Qadim did?

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Re: Did Maztica deities ever get specialty priests?

Post by Boneguard »

Aside from what is define in the main box and City of Gold, we do not have anything else for their priesthood. IIRC, the deities and the power given were a bit closer to specialty priest than bog standard cleric (kind of a hybrid) and I don't recall the kit to be mandatory (unlike Al-Qadim). However that could be an option.

To be fair, the eagle/jaguar knight kits and pluma/hisna weaver kits were treated as subclass (following the paladin & bard xp table) in my games.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

thorr-kan
Troll

Post by thorr-kan »

And lunch time provided a little time to peruse the boxed set.

The priests and their spheres are detailed in the Battlesystem section, not the character section. Go figure. Specialty spheres, but no special powers. And no Necromantic or Summoning spheres, period. Some kit suggestions are made in the general PC section.

So it continues more of the "lower-powered compared to the rest of the Forgotten Realms" that we see in Maztica.

Rod Collins
Orc

Post by Rod Collins »

thorr-kan wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:34 pm
So it continues more of the "lower-powered compared to the rest of the Forgotten Realms" that we see in Maztica.
Do you feel these specialties can be handled well with 5e feats? Clerics, magic users and even arcane tricksters would have access to expanded spell lists specifically related to each sphere as early as lvl1 as a variant human. They certainly need to be powerful. What special powers would you be looking for?

I am also addressing your loss of a necromantic sphere that I am basing on the grandmother goddess who died in the original Skyhome crash and possibly also Kiltzi. As for the summoning sphere, I am reserving that for a usurping goddess that grants shaman chief powers to rally all the spheres. That should be powerful enough for you.
Magic of Maztica

thorr-kan
Troll

Post by thorr-kan »

Rod Collins wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:10 pm
thorr-kan wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:34 pm
Do you feel these specialties can be handled well with 5e feats? Clerics, magic users and even arcane tricksters would have access to expanded spell lists specifically related to each sphere as early as lvl1 as a variant human. They certainly need to be powerful. What special powers would you be looking for?

I am also addressing your loss of a necromantic sphere that I am basing on the grandmother goddess who died in the original Skyhome crash and possibly also Kiltzi. As for the summoning sphere, I am reserving that for a usurping goddess that grants shaman chief powers to rally all the spheres. That should be powerful enough for you.
No idea for 5E. I'm simply looking at the materials available in 2E.

Return to “Maztica”