Tabaxi of Maztica

Mezo-American adventures in Maztica, the True World.
The Book-House: Find Maztica products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Tabaxi of Maztica

Post by Havard »

I'm doing some research on Catfolk races for a Mystara project and got curious about the Tabaxi of Maztica.

It seems that the Tabaxi of the Forgotten Realms originate on Maztica, but with the 5E books, they have started appearing on Faerun as well. I have seen some speculation that this is a result of slavery or other contact with Amn. Others in the same discussion suggested the Second Sundering might have driven some Tabaxi across the ocean. What do you guys think about these theories?

What Maztica books detail the Tabaxi of this setting?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

apotheot
Troll

Re: Tabaxi of Maztica

Post by apotheot »

None. The first time the tabaxi were mentioned as having come from Maztica was in 5e. In earlier editions other jungle based areas on Toril such as Malatra had them in at least random encounter tables though.
-apotheot
Last edited by apotheot on Wed May 20, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

They're cats...cats are curious creatures. No doubt that intelligent cat-people would love to travel, stick their noses everywhere, and get into trouble. Constantly. ;)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

lookatroopa
Hobgoblin

Post by lookatroopa »

The role of tabaxi in Maztica is first mentioned and detailed in FMA1: Fires of Zatal. Most of the 2e-era references to "Tabaxi" in the context of Chult refer to the human tribe of the same name.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer »

lookatroopa wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:20 pm
The role of tabaxi in Maztica is first mentioned and detailed in FMA1: Fires of Zatal. Most of the 2e-era references to "Tabaxi" in the context of Chult refer to the human tribe of the same name.
From FRM1 The Jungles of Chult by James Lowder and Jean Rabe:

Page 3: "The humans known as Tabaxi should not be confused with the cat-men that dwell in jungle settings such as Chult. It has been suggested that the baffling sameness of names arose when a stripling Cormyrean explorer mistook a human warrior wearing a war costume made up of the tails of lions and panthers for one of the cat-men. Upon learning from a guide that the mysterious figure was a "Tabaxi," the explorer mistakenly concluded that such was the name for the legendary cat-men."

Page 30: "The Tabaxi mentioned in this booklet are dark-skinned human tribesman, not the cat-creatures detailed in the MAZTICA boxed set or original FIEND FOLIO Tome."

Return to “Maztica”