Homebrew Thread for Anchorome

Mezo-American adventures in Maztica, the True World.
The Book-House: Find Maztica products.
User avatar
Seethyr
Fire Giant
Posts: 1144
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:07 am
Gender: male
Location: Tulom-Itzi

Re: Homebrew Thread for Anchorome

Post by Seethyr » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:28 pm

vikking_1 wrote:The scout is found on page 10 of the Complete Adventurer.
Druids would be a main class as well and I didnt mean eliminate the barbarian altogether. The barbarian class would be the outer tribes.
The scout works very well, I didn't think of that. Perhaps, for a bit of flavor added, you could take the scout class and make some alterations. Perhaps call it Ameriki Hunter, Anchorome Hunter or even just Hunter.
vikking_1 wrote: Basically what Im thinking is that the main culture would be based off of the Mississippian type culture.
That makes a great primary human culture but I wouldn't sell yourself short with just one big tribe. Anchorome, like the United States, is a massive landmass that could have many many different tribes. In the US, most had completely unique myths and legends that we could raid. Louisbowwow's post on the Maztica Alive Yahoo Group gave us this beautiful map from HandsomeRob so there is plenty of room for dozens of peoples.

Not to mention the inhumans! In FMQ1 City of Gold, there is a Land of Mantis Men spoken of somewhere out there.

Speaking of City of Gold, there is already one great culture there with a number of kits that can be easily converted to PrCs for 3e. The native people have a heavily Anasazi influenced culture (in fact, if I recall correctly, the name is something ridiculously close).

For more research into a fantasy (or in this case Horror) look at your mounds, look at how they were portayed in the movie The New Daughter. I'm sure you could get some great ideas there, including a new breed of monster and a fantasy explanation for the mounds.
vikking_1 wrote: They had taken in refugees from the spellplague and over time, the natives way of life was interbred with those of the refugees creating a "New Cultural Awakening" within the tribes that welcomed them in.
The new culture became a mix of the old native with Faerunian. There was no fighting between the 2 peoples, just peaceful commingling (sp).
Unfortunately, the whole True World continent has been flown off into parts unknown in the 4e era post-Spellplague. I have tried to avoid the Spellplague altogether by staying in the 3e "range of years" in Dale Reckoning, but it's certainly your fantasy so it's up to you. My only question is how do you reconcile the contradiction with others that might want to adapt your homebrew (if your intention is sharing), and are sticklers to canon.
vikking_1 wrote: My thought on the natives that welcomed the Faerunians were already a mix of Native American Type and Maztican peoples. So basically they were already on an even keel with the people of Maztica. They welcomed and excepted the ways of the refugees and the 2 cultures merged into one.
Please don't quote me on this because I am not sure and I don't have my books with me, but I think there is part of Maztican history where the original peoples called Mazticans came from the north and eventually took over Nexal (its in the original 2e Maztica Boxed set). So you've really got a nice tie in to your lore there.

vikking_1 wrote: There still will be tribes outside of the proposed culture who will reject the changing of their old ways and they would be the barbarian tribes, but my idea is that the "Ameriki" culture is expanding by drawing in other tribes due to their prosperity and some by force due to the usual empire expansion.
Oooh now I'm really curious as to what this "force" is. :)
vikking_1 wrote: What do you think?
I think this is going to be great! Could I help with starting a bit of an outline?
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

vikking_1
Goblin
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:05 pm
Gender: male

Re: Homebrew Thread for Anchorome

Post by vikking_1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:51 am

Seethyr wrote:The scout works very well, I didn't think of that. Perhaps, for a bit of flavor added, you could take the scout class and make some alterations. Perhaps call it Ameriki Hunter, Anchorome Hunter or even just Hunter.
I was thinking of taking the scout class and seeing if I can merge the Jaguar warrior class into it to create a new class.
Seethyr wrote:Oooh now I'm really curious as to what this "force" is. :)
Think early Rome but with a Native American twist...;)
Seethyr wrote:I think this is going to be great! Could I help with starting a bit of an outline?
By all means, please.

As for the spellplegue that isnt needed. Instead of the Faerunians being refugees they could just be colonists that landed on Anchorome escaping destruction back in Faerun instead of conquering conquistadors.

Addressing Tom Kalbfus's comment on the natives suffering from disease, why could it not be reversed? Whats to say that the colonists were not immune to some sort of disease that the natives carried and they needed to rely on the native healers as the colonists clerics (if they had any) were either too low in level or some of the first stricken by the illness.

Also I didnt say that every tribe on Anchorome were Ameriki, in fact I did mention that there would be tribes other than the one that took in the Faerunians. My thought was that the Ameriki would be the main antagonist with their desire to expand their nation. I may have not made that clear, if so, Im sorry for any confusion I caused from that.
Last edited by vikking_1 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Seethyr
Fire Giant
Posts: 1144
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:07 am
Gender: male
Location: Tulom-Itzi

Re: Homebrew Thread for Anchorome

Post by Seethyr » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:58 am

vikking_1 wrote:
Seethyr wrote:Oooh now I'm really curious as to what this "force" is. :)
Think early Rome but with a Native American twist...;)
So....so....curious now...
vikking_1 wrote:
Seethyr wrote:I think this is going to be great! Could I help with starting a bit of an outline?
By all means, please.
Great, I will definitely be giving a proposal pretty soon to tear apart at your leisure lol.

In the meantime, check out this interesting tidbit I found in City of Gold about the Azuposi inhabitants of Anchorome.
City of Gold wrote: Myth and History: Creation or Migration?
According to their myth of creation, the Azuposi believe they came from the ground; that they were called forth by Skeleton Man, who showed them plants to grow and fire for light and warmth. It may be that the Azuposi actually did come from the ground— perhaps, like the desert dwarves, they came through the Underdark of the world’s crust. Given their physical appearance and language, however, the Azuposi ancestors probably did not come from the continent of the Forgotten Realms, but from the oriental lands of Kara-Tur. Indeed, future scholars may discover remarkable commonalities between the languages of the Azuposi and the Wu-haltai and other races of Kara-Tur’s Northern Wastes.
vikking_1 wrote: As for the spellplegue that isnt needed. Instead of the Faerunians being refugees they could just be colonists that landed on Anchorome escaping destruction back in Faerun instead of conquering conquistadors.
Or maybe they were the folk that were looking for the fate of Balduran :) Balduran is one of the only known links to the "mainland" continent I can think of and you could really play it up if you see fit. Along with his mercenary company, the Flaming Fists, there is a lot for you to expand on. I also think there was something on this from Gold and Glory which I believe is another free download.

EDIT After I posted this, I noticed references to savage elves in the entry on Balduran. Perhaps that might be something to take into account as well. Are the Ameriki Elves? Is it another tribe?
vikking_1 wrote: Addressing Tom Kalbfus's comment on the natives suffering from disease, why could it not be reversed? Whats to say that the colonists were not immune to some sort of disease that the natives carried and they needed to rely on the native healers as the colonists clerics (if they had any) were either too low in level or some of the first stricken by the illness.
Maybe Talona even had a little meddling involved. How happy would the goddess of disease be to be able to infect a whole culture with one of her terrible diseases? Perhaps this is also what became of Balduran. Is he now some awful undead plague carrier?
vikking_1 wrote: Also I didnt say that every tribe on Anchorome were Ameriki, in fact I did mention that there would be tribes other than the one that took in the Faerunians. My thought was that the Ameriki would be the main antagonist with their desire to expand their nation. I may have not made that clear, if so, Im sorry for any confusion I caused from that.
You were clear, I was the one who didn't read it thoroughly. Sorry about that. :oops:
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Tom Kalbfus
Troll
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:14 am
Gender: male

Re: Homebrew Thread for Anchorome

Post by Tom Kalbfus » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:08 am

By the way Seethyr, where would you place New Waterdeep on this map? I would envision it as something like colonial New York, perhaps on an island surrounded by two rivers and an ocean.

User avatar
Seethyr
Fire Giant
Posts: 1144
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:07 am
Gender: male
Location: Tulom-Itzi

Re: Homebrew Thread for Anchorome

Post by Seethyr » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:14 am

Tom Kalbfus wrote:By the way Seethyr, where would you place New Waterdeep on this map? I would envision it as something like colonial New York, perhaps on an island surrounded by two rivers and an ocean.
I'm 99% sure the guys over at Candlekeep already placed New Waterdeep somewhere in Maztica in one of the Candlekeep Compendiums. Truthfully, I'm also not sure if it is official or the fan who wrote the article made it up. It would have been SO much better up in Anchorome IMO because you're right, it certainly is a New York analogue.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

vikking_1
Goblin
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:05 pm
Gender: male

Re: Homebrew Thread for Anchorome

Post by vikking_1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:15 am

were can I get more info on Balduran, I think using him and the Flaming Fist would be a great idea. also more on the Azuposi would be great as well. is there any old modules or extra info from the books?

vikking_1
Goblin
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:05 pm
Gender: male

Re: Homebrew Thread for Anchorome

Post by vikking_1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:17 am

Seethyr wrote:
Tom Kalbfus wrote:By the way Seethyr, where would you place New Waterdeep on this map? I would envision it as something like colonial New York, perhaps on an island surrounded by two rivers and an ocean.
I'm 99% sure the guys over at Candlekeep already placed New Waterdeep somewhere in Maztica in one of the Candlekeep Compendiums. Truthfully, I'm also not sure if it is official or the fan who wrote the article made it up. It would have been SO much better up in Anchorome IMO because you're right, it certainly is a New York analogue.
if you zoom in on the map, it is there lower right side. zoom in near the middle and scroll down. its just above maztica.

vikking_1
Goblin
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:05 pm
Gender: male

Re: Homebrew Thread for Anchorome

Post by vikking_1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:28 am

Seethyr wrote:I'm 99% sure the guys over at Candlekeep already placed New Waterdeep somewhere in Maztica in one of the Candlekeep Compendiums. Truthfully, I'm also not sure if it is official or the fan who wrote the article made it up. It would have been SO much better up in Anchorome IMO because you're right, it certainly is a New York analogue.
My thought would be not so much a "New York" but more an early London

User avatar
Seethyr
Fire Giant
Posts: 1144
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:07 am
Gender: male
Location: Tulom-Itzi

Re: Homebrew Thread for Anchorome

Post by Seethyr » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:36 am

vikking_1 wrote:
Seethyr wrote:
Tom Kalbfus wrote:By the way Seethyr, where would you place New Waterdeep on this map? I would envision it as something like colonial New York, perhaps on an island surrounded by two rivers and an ocean.
I'm 99% sure the guys over at Candlekeep already placed New Waterdeep somewhere in Maztica in one of the Candlekeep Compendiums. Truthfully, I'm also not sure if it is official or the fan who wrote the article made it up. It would have been SO much better up in Anchorome IMO because you're right, it certainly is a New York analogue.
if you zoom in on the map, it is there lower right side. zoom in near the middle and scroll down. its just above maztica.
Yep, that's where I remember it. That's also where the compendium had it.

I've been reading FMQ1 City of Gold over again and on each page there are 4 or 5 ideas popping into my head lol.

Here is a little bad news as to our Maztica/Anchorome connections from the book...
City of Gold wrote: To the Azuposi, the cities and gods of the south would appear strange and perhaps somewhat corrupt —at least suspect. Direct contact between the peoples has
been virtually nil. Even their deities have few interconnections. Apart from those gods honored by the Dog People, the mighty Immortals of the south are all but unknown in the Pasocada basin.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

vikking_1
Goblin
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:05 pm
Gender: male

Re: Homebrew Thread for Anchorome

Post by vikking_1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:46 am

That's not to say that a large number of Maztizans didnt flee in fear of being chosen for sacrifice taking boats farther north rather than by land.
Think about the Mel Gibson movie that had the tribe running to get away from the Aztecs in the opening of the film. The one man said that their village was attacked and that they were fleeing.

The fleeing tribe could be the Maztican connection to the northern tribe that was the start to the Ameriki.

Oh, the Pasocada basin is to the west of the continent, I was thinking they traveled from the east coast northward.

Tom Kalbfus
Troll
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:14 am
Gender: male

Re: Homebrew Thread for Anchorome

Post by Tom Kalbfus » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:54 am

Sp New Waterdeep may be something like Saint Augustine, Florida, with swamps, and groves of orange trees, and perhaps even a Fountain of Youth, maybe this legend is true in this world.

vikking_1
Goblin
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:05 pm
Gender: male

Re: Homebrew Thread for Anchorome

Post by vikking_1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:02 am

So I was looking at the map while zoomed in and I think I found the perfect spot for the Ameriki to be. If you look at the north eastern area of the map just under the ice sheet and inland of the peninsula you will see 3 mounds an egg shape, an "s" shape and a circle-ish shape. That could be expanded nicely...:)

vikking_1
Goblin
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:05 pm
Gender: male

Re: Homebrew Thread for Anchorome

Post by vikking_1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:03 am

Tom Kalbfus wrote:Sp New Waterdeep may be something like Saint Augustine, Florida, with swamps, and groves of orange trees, and perhaps even a Fountain of Youth, maybe this legend is true in this world.
Thats a great idea. could be a great adventure hook.

User avatar
Seethyr
Fire Giant
Posts: 1144
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:07 am
Gender: male
Location: Tulom-Itzi

Re: Homebrew Thread for Anchorome

Post by Seethyr » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:35 am

vikking_1 wrote:were can I get more info on Balduran, I think using him and the Flaming Fist would be a great idea. also more on the Azuposi would be great as well. is there any old modules or extra info from the books?
There is definitely more on him and the Flaming Fists in Gold & Glory. It's in the old edition downloads link.

I also believe there is a little info in the 1990 FR Adventures book.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

User avatar
dulsi
Storm Giant
Posts: 1820
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:20 am
Gender: prefer not to say
Contact:

Re: Homebrew Thread for Anchorome

Post by dulsi » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:27 pm

Louis_bowwow wrote:Unfortunately there is no place to buy digital copies of the two books. You have to fork out the money for the books. They are a great addition to your library though.
Northern Crown: New World Adventures and Northern Crown: Gazetteer on e23.sjgames.com
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

User avatar
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 8669
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Contact:

Re: Homebrew Thread for Anchorome

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:25 pm

dulsi wrote:
Louis_bowwow wrote:Unfortunately there is no place to buy digital copies of the two books. You have to fork out the money for the books. They are a great addition to your library though.
Northern Crown: New World Adventures and Northern Crown: Gazetteer on e23.sjgames.com
Nice to know that there are digital copies of these books.

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4548
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Homebrew Thread for Anchorome

Post by Knightfall » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:23 am

FYI... if you want a good crunchy d20 system sourcebook with details on both primitive (Ice Age) and native (Eskimo [Inuit/Aleut]) cultures, I highly recommend Frost & Fur: The Explorer's Guide to the Frozen Lands by Michael Tresca.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Post Reply

Return to “Maztica”