[Rings of Brass] Tell me about the C&C setting

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Rings of Brass] Tell me about the C&C setting

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:18 am

I just heard that C&C has a campaign setting called Rings of Brass. I just searched and there is not a single thread on The Piazza about this campaign setting.

A bit of searching led me to the (former) Troll Lord Games forums, where I saw a sticky suggesting that the setting consists of the World of Aihrde and the Inner World of Inzae. That seems very similar to the setup for Mystara to me.

All the people I've met so far, who like C&C, have always been talking about converting some other campaign setting to C&C rules, so I didn't know that Rings of Brass existed. The words Aihrde and Inzae were mentioned in another thread, but I didn't register them as being two parts of the same setting.

Is the campaign setting embedded into all C&C products (like Greyhawk is in many of the core 3e products)? Or is there a Rings of Brass Campaign Setting book (or a pair of books) that I could buy without needing to buy a lot of other C&C products?

Is the Rings of Brass planet set up in a similar way to Mystara? Are there polar openings? Does Inzae have an inner sun? Is there some sort of magical material in the crust of the world that causes gravity?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Rings of Brass] Tell me about the C&C setting

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:31 am

Hrm. Looks like this stared out as a d20 System campaign setting called Codex of Erde and then got used as the coreworld in C&C (or one world in C&C).

I can't find out why it is called Erde and Aihrde. :?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:47 am

I'm assuming you've looked at the Ring of Brass page on Troll Lord's web site. If not...

Erde: Ring of Brass Campaign Setting

There's not a lot there, but you can down world maps for both Aihrde and Inzae. The best way to learn about the world is to get a copy of The Codex of Erde or the After Winter Dark folio. While I don't have the former, I do have the latter. It's pretty cool. :cool:

It comes with two booklets and a handful of maps including the world map and political map. The folio is only for Aihrde. (I also have the C&C adventure "The Heart of Glass," which is set on the World of Aihrde.)

It evokes the feel of the old World of Greyhawk folio.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:22 pm

Knightfall wrote:I'm assuming you've looked at the Ring of Brass page on Troll Lord's web site. If not...

Erde: Ring of Brass Campaign Setting
Thanks, Knightfall. That is really useful, and I had not seen it.

I did a search for "Rings of Brass", but that never came up on my search. I'm not sure why. I saw some people asking for a map of Inzae on the TLG forums. I guess they could find the page either. :?
Knightfall wrote:There's not a lot there, but you can down world maps for both Aihrde and Inzae. The best way to learn about the world is to get a copy of The Codex of Erde or the After Winter Dark folio. While I don't have the former, I do have the latter. It's pretty cool. :cool:

It comes with two booklets and a handful of maps including the world map and political map. The folio is only for Aihrde. (I also have the C&C adventure "The Heart of Glass," which is set on the World of Aihrde.)

As a 3e player, I'm guessing that Codex of Erde would be better for me (rule-wise), but I'm wondering if they have added extra information to After Winter Dark. I'm guessing that there is no Inzae information in 3e material, as that seems to be less developed, from what I can see.

How easy would it be to convert the C&C stuff to some form of D&D? I hear that C&C is supposed to be similar in feel to older versions of D&D. Does it have the same stats? If it does, perhaps it might just be a process of adding feats and skills.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:42 pm

I knew nothing about this setting. Thanks for starting the thread about it BM! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:35 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Knightfall wrote:There's not a lot there, but you can down world maps for both Aihrde and Inzae. The best way to learn about the world is to get a copy of The Codex of Erde or the After Winter Dark folio. While I don't have the former, I do have the latter. It's pretty cool. :cool:

As a 3e player, I'm guessing that Codex of Erde would be better for me (rule-wise), but I'm wondering if they have added extra information to After Winter Dark. I'm guessing that there is no Inzae information in 3e material, as that seems to be less developed, from what I can see.

How easy would it be to convert the C&C stuff to some form of D&D? I hear that C&C is supposed to be similar in feel to older versions of D&D. Does it have the same stats? If it does, perhaps it might just be a process of adding feats and skills.
The After Winter's Dark folio is mainly fluff. You wouldn't have to worry about converting stats from that reference although one of the booklets has section on the deities for Aihrde, which lists the following for each deity: Preferred Weapon(s); Armor; Province; Alignment; Sanctum; Ceremony; Taboo; and Granted Abilities.

It also has a section on languages, which lists the following language options: Aenochian, "Old Imperial"; The Language of Creation; Dwarven; Elven [Fontenouq high elves, Shindolay high elves, Twilight elves, Wild & Mist elves, and Wood elf]; Ethrum [or "Kayomarese"; or the "Western Tongue"]; Gnomish; Goblin; Halfling; Holy Tongue, "the Words of Law"; Humanoid Languages [Orcs, Hobgoblins, Trolls, Kobolds, etc.]; Runic Tongue; Thieves' Cant; Ungern; and Vulgate, the Common Tongue.

When it comes to converting actual stats from the modules or a C&C monster book, I would say that converting wouldn't be any more difficult than converting from AD&D. In fact, the monster stats look almost exactly like the stat listings for AD&D 1E.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:09 pm

Ahirde (Erde) borrows quite heavily from Greyhawk. There is some original stuff, but most is mixed with tons of trite details. The cosmology is perhaps the most interesting part (which also informs the whole Rings of Brass idea.)
The most interesting part of the Rings of Brass meta-setting is IMO Inzae, which has a sort of "Warhammer-ish," gritty feel. Unfortunately only scant details have been released, and three modules are set into a region of Inzae, I1, I2 and I3 which form the Death in the Treklant trilogy. They were originally released for D&D 3.0, and later converted to C&C. These modules are good, though not terribly original given the potential of the setting.

Return to “Other Worlds”