[Critical Role] D&D 5E Explorer's Guide to Wildemount - What can we expect?

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Critical Role] D&D 5E Explorer's Guide to Wildemount - What can we expect?

Post by Havard »

So in this thread, stebehil revealed that the next D&D sourcebook will be titled Explorer's Guide to Wildemount. Wildemount is the eastern continent of Exandria from the Critical Roll campaign Season 2:
Big Mac wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:19 pm
stebehil wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:28 pm
Amazon just seems to have spilled the beans. The book is now listed as
"Explorer's Guide to Wildemount (D&D Campaign Setting and Adventure Book)"
The full blurb is this:
Explorer's Guide to Wildemount on Amazon.com wrote:HOW DO YOU WANT TO DO THIS?
A war brews on a continent that has withstood more than its fair share of conflict. The Dwendalian Empire and the Kryn Dynasty are carving up the lands around them, and only the greatest heroes would dare stand between them. Somewhere in the far corners of this war-torn landscape are secrets that could end this conflict and usher in a new age of peace—or burn the world to a cinder.

Create a band of heroes and embark on a journey across the continent of Wildemount, the setting for Campaign 2 of the hit Dungeons & Dragons series Critical Role. Within this book, you’ll find new character options, a heroic chronicle to help you craft your character’s backstory, four different starting adventures, and everything a Dungeon Master needs to breathe life into a Wildemount-based D&D campaign…
  • Delve through the first Dungeons & Dragons book to let players experience the game as played within the world of Critical Role, the world’s most popular livestreaming D&D show.
  • Uncover a trove of options usable in any D&D game, featuring subclasses, spells, magic items, monsters, and more, rooted in the adventures of Exandria—such as Vestiges of Divergence and the possibility manipulating magic of Dunamancy.
  • Start a Dungeons & Dragons campaign in any of Wildemount’s regions using a variety of introductory adventures, dozens of regional plot seeds, and the heroic chronicle system—a way to create character backstories rooted in Wildemount.
Explore every corner of Wildemount and discover mysteries revealed for the first time by Critical Role Dungeon Master, Matthew Mercer.
Wow! I thought that Matt Mercer had sold the Critical Role rights to Green Ronin!
stebehil wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:23 pm
So, there will probably be a Wildemount subforum soon, eh? ;-)

I don't follow Critical Roll, but I did some reading up on the wiki. What can we expect from this sourcebook besides what Big Mac reports above? The setting appears to be inspired by Romania and Eastern Europe.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [Critical Role] D&D 5E Explorer's Guide to Wildemount - What can we expect?

Post by Tim Baker »

I wonder if any of Matt Mercer's house rules that appeared in the Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting will be repeated in this sourcebook. For example, he allows PCs to drink a potion with a bonus action. At 8th level, spellcasters can cast any 1st or 2nd level spell along with their bonus action (rather than being limited to cantrips). The party can take a short rest in 5 minutes if they're willing to suffer a level of exhaustion. There are several new rules around resurrection.

I don't follow Critical Role closely, but I suspect these rules don't apply only to Tal'Dorei. I'd be interested to hear confirmation of that, though.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew »

I don't pay that close attention to the rules when I listen, but my strong suspicion is that you are correct, and that he uses the same house rules he did in Campaign 2 as he did in Campaign 1.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew »

Havard wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:03 pm
I don't follow Critical Roll, but I did some reading up on the wiki. What can we expect from this sourcebook besides what Big Mac reports above? The setting appears to be inspired by Romania and Eastern Europe.
The biggest thing I think you can expect to see is an advancing of the timeline from the first book about Tal'Dorei (campaign 2 takes place about two decades later).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Havard wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:03 pm
What can we expect from this sourcebook besides what Big Mac reports above?
Amazon revealed the name and the blurb a day early, but Wizards of the Coast should be doing a show on Twitch about Explorer's Guide to Wildemount today.

(This is assuming the Amazon reveal is not a fake leak to stop us finding out the book is something else. ;) )
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X »

Now, this is interesting. I wonder how they'll name the gods, now that the product is developed by WotC.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira »

Zeromaru X wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:46 pm
Now, this is interesting. I wonder how they'll name the gods, now that the product is developed by WotC.
Why, what's with the gods' names? I don't watch CR so I've no idea about the setting.
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
Zontoxira's blog
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

The cover has now been revealed .

Also, here's a video of Matt Mercer talking abou the Explorer's guide to Wildemount

Edit: Also, here is more from Matt Mercer via Reddit

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Havard wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:23 pm

Also, here's a video of Matt Mercer talking abou the Explorer's guide to Wildemount

Edit: Also, here is more from Matt Mercer via Reddit

-Havard
He makes a very good job of explaining it. I wonder if he had notes for the interview on the back side of his superbe DM screen? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X »

zontoxira wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:22 pm
Zeromaru X wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:46 pm
Why, what's with the gods' names? I don't watch CR so I've no idea about the setting.
In Mercer's campaign, the gods of Exandria are the same ones from the Dawn War pantheon + a goddess from Pathfinder. In the third-party sourcebook they couldn't use the actual names for copyright reasons. Now that they are backed by WtoC, I wonder if they would use the full name of the deities instead of their titles. And I wonder what they would do with the goddess from Pathfinder.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon »

Havard wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:23 pm
That's actually pretty terrible. I don't like the cover for the regular (non-Special Edition) version of the 5E Eberron book. I hope future covers aren't more of the same.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Zeromaru X wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:58 pm
In Mercer's campaign, the gods of Exandria are the same ones from the Dawn War pantheon + a goddess from Pathfinder. In the third-party sourcebook they couldn't use the actual names for copyright reasons. Now that they are backed by WtoC, I wonder if they would use the full name of the deities instead of their titles. And I wonder what they would do with the goddess from Pathfinder.
I was wondering exactly this. It would be fascinating if they associate Exandria with the Dawn War pantheon by name in the official WotC book. I doubt it'll happen, but even if it doesn't, it's not like we don't have a similar situation with, say, Tiamat and Takhisis.

My guess is that regardless of the naming of the Dawn War deities, the goddess from Pathfinder will retain her name from the Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, The Everlight.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Tim Baker wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:42 am
It would be fascinating if they associate Exandria with the Dawn War pantheon by name in the official WotC book. I doubt it'll happen, but even if it doesn't, it's not like we don't have a similar situation with, say, Tiamat and Takhisis.

My guess is that regardless of the naming of the Dawn War deities, the goddess from Pathfinder will retain her name from the Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, The Everlight.
Thanks to the latest episode of the Dragon Talk podcast, we have our answer. I've started a new thread about it here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=23368.

Return to “The Wishing Well”