[2nd edition]What other classes to include in DarkSun?

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.
adidamps2
Goblin

[2nd edition]What other classes to include in DarkSun?

Post by adidamps2 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:33 pm

some classes I have given thought to including:

Assasin (from 1st edition or Scarlet Brotherhood--most likely 1st edition based)--just makes sense in the world of Athas.

Monk (1st edition/OA modified or Scarlet Brotherhood or a hybrid of the 3)--lets see a world thats has minimal metal and crapy weapons...martial arts just seem natural along with psionics....

Barbarian (unsure edition of type, UA, OA or CBarbarianHB; I have yet to compare ALL 3, but it would most likely be a hybrid of the 3)--Halflings and those out side of villages, it just seems natural that Barbaric tribes would develop out side of the Tyr region.

Runecaster (for Dwarves, maybe Thri-Kreen)-- I'm not 100% sold on my idea here, but the concept of etching magic into stone for dwarves or in the case of thri-kreen right into their own chitinous shell makes sense too me.

Ninja (OA or CNinjaHB)...although I would not keep them as Ninjas more like spies or highly skilled assasins, and less like bards...

the Shaman class from the CBarbarianHB? I'd have to re-read the class to see if it fits the prinicple idea of Athas...but it seems a proper fit for the Halfling tribes?

all of the classes would recieves tweaks to adjust them to the DS setting.

what other classes would make sense? and what of the ones i listed would you not include and why?

thanks

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: [2nd edition]What other classes to include in DarkSun?

Post by agathokles » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:15 pm

The role of Assassin (and Ninja) is covered by the Athasian bard -- who has no traditional bardic abilities, but is an effective poisoner.
The Monk is a possibility, but probably in an heavily modified version, as a subclass of the psionicist -- see the Sensei psionicist kit from The Will and the Way for a toned down version.
The Shaman could fit easily as a Druid variant.
The Barbarian, with some tweaking for cultural issues, would fit easily as well, while the Runecaster seems outside the scope of the setting (but I don't know the class well enough).

All in all, I'd probably take Barbarian (to model savage tribes) and Monk (for certain psionic orders), and leave the rest.

GP

Idabrius
Hill Giant

Post by Idabrius » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:47 am

agathokles wrote:The role of Assassin (and Ninja) is covered by the Athasian bard -- who has no traditional bardic abilities, but is an effective poisoner.
The Monk is a possibility, but probably in an heavily modified version, as a subclass of the psionicist -- see the Sensei psionicist kit from The Will and the Way for a toned down version.
The Shaman could fit easily as a Druid variant.
The Barbarian, with some tweaking for cultural issues, would fit easily as well, while the Runecaster seems outside the scope of the setting (but I don't know the class well enough).

All in all, I'd probably take Barbarian (to model savage tribes) and Monk (for certain psionic orders), and leave the rest.

GP
Agreed.

10th Age books on Lulu
10th Age and 2e downloads on the Frothing Mug

Moderator of the Homebrew, Birthright, Planescape, Dark Sun, and the Orc's Revenge boards. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:02 pm

I'd go for Barbarian too.

The only other thing I might want to put into Dark Sun, is some sort of secretive Ranger/Druid organisation that is dedicated to "restoring" the nature of Athas (and hunting down and killing all defilers).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Dark Sun”