[5e] Races of Athas: Half-Giants and Thri-Kreen

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.
zontoxira
Planewalker

[5e] Races of Athas: Half-Giants and Thri-Kreen

Post by zontoxira » Sat May 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Hey there fellas, this is my attempt at reconstructing the two arguably most unbalanced races of Athas, the half-giant and the thri-kreen. While overall it didn't take me long to design a 5e re-imagining, it did go through a lot of thought and designing process. I've consulted two of my friends for 5e mechanics advice, since I've known them to be good at this. I hereby present you with the 5e reconstructed half-giant and thri-kreen of Athas. I would much appreciate any comments, feedback, flaming, stoning, or random post. Please, do check my reddit post for the whole designing process behind the two races.
The half-giant and the thri-kreen are part of my Races of Athas project that I'm working at the moment. As soon as I'm finished, I shall inform you accordingly.
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
Zontoxira's blog
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

Corsair14
Hobgoblin

Re: [5e] Races of Athas: Half-Giants and Thri-Kreen

Post by Corsair14 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:55 pm

I don't think the half giant is big enough. It goes against the grain for 5th but he should be large and his strength should be +4 and +2 con. I would also drop the wisdom and int of them by -2, again going against the grain but there is a reason they haven't done Dark Sun for 5th yet(if ever). It will be very tough to do 2E compliant.

Thri-kreen looks good.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Re: [5e] Races of Athas: Half-Giants and Thri-Kreen

Post by zontoxira » Sat May 27, 2017 2:18 pm

Corsair14 wrote:It will be very tough to do 2E compliant.
I agree with this statement, and probably the main issue is that it's almost impossible for a total conversion of 2e material to 5e. Like I said in another post, 2e and 5e approach D&D gaming differently, and this translates into difficulty re-imagining races and classes.
Maybe we won't see any plans for 5e Dark Sun, but we got 4e instead, and in there, half-giants were actually reflavoured goliaths. I do not concur with such a take (goliaths were already a separate race in 3e), but the general idea was to diminish it's somewhat overwhelming abilities. How to address the half-giant's iconic size and massive build in 5e terms, to me that looks like an ordeal. I could try and fit it in 5e conventions (like I did) and get mediocre results, or go extreme and create something unconventional and, possibly, unbalanced. I'm sure there's a golden mean somewhere in between, but I've yet to find it.
Quite paradoxically, the thri-kreen, which was far more complex, was easier to convert (and much more fun).

EDIT: I had a chance to take a peek at the Expanded Psionics Handbook, which includes the half-giants as a playable race. To my surprise, they are listed as Medium-sized creatures, even though they get Powerful Build and various other traits, to match their otherwise massive builds.
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
Zontoxira's blog
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

Return to “Dark Sun”