Which Psionics rules do you use for Dark Sun?

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.
waylander39
Troll

Which Psionics rules do you use for Dark Sun?

Post by waylander39 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:25 pm

Ok I'm intrigued, as far as I can tell there are 3 sets of rules for psionics that could be used for Dark Sun. Firstly, there's the complete Psionics Handbook, then there's the revised Psionics rules introduced in the Players Option books and finally the revised rules introduced in the revised Dark Sun boxed set. Which set works best? I've always used the original one myself but I wanted to know if anyone's had a better experience with the other rules. While I'm on the subject how well does Dark Sun work with the 3rd ed Psionics rules?

Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Re: Which Psionics rules do you use for Dark Sun?

Post by Philosopher » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:33 am

Back when I played 2e, we used the Complete Psionics Handbook with Dark Sun. But it wasn't because of a preference, it was because that was the only one available to us at the time.
- Selman

Idabrius
Hill Giant

Post by Idabrius » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:11 am

Same as Philosopher. Revised Psionics for me.

10th Age books on Lulu
10th Age and 2e downloads on the Frothing Mug

Moderator of the Homebrew, Birthright, Planescape, Dark Sun, and the Orc's Revenge boards. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:53 pm

I gave up AD&D before the revised rules came out. I had to look them up:
Psionics (Dungeons & Dragons) article at Wikipedia

I think I would have liked the mental THAC0 idea. One of the things that impressed me about the d20 System was that it meant you didn't need to remember when to roll high or roll low. I think that a Mental Armor Class (MAC) and a Mental THAC0 (MTHAC0) are really the begining of that sort of standardisation.

I had the Complete Psionics Handbook, but a lot of players I knew had anti-psionics views. I certainly think that the fact they are so radically different from other rules means that it is hard for players who are not interested in playing psionic PCs to get onboard.

If I was going to play Dark Sun today I would want to play 3rd edition Dark Sun with the rules from The Burnt World of Athas. And rather than revert to old school rules, which did the job just fine, I'd go for the 3rd edition psionic classes.

3rd edition changes Psionicists into Psions and adds the Psychic Warrior. It also adds the Soulknife and Wilder prestige classes. 3.5 adds the Ardent, Divine Mind, Erudite and Lurk. That gives you a lot more options to play with. I think it could be more fun. Even if I didn't want to play with 3rd edition rules, I would want to retro-convert the new classes and turn the prestige classes into kits.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Post by Philosopher » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:39 pm

Big Mac wrote:3rd edition changes Psionicists into Psions and adds the Psychic Warrior. It also adds the Soulknife and Wilder prestige classes. 3.5 adds the Ardent, Divine Mind, Erudite and Lurk. That gives you a lot more options to play with. I think it could be more fun. Even if I didn't want to play with 3rd edition rules, I would want to retro-convert the new classes and turn the prestige classes into kits.
Indeed, you should expect a world where psionics is common to have a variety of ways of accessing it.
- Selman

waylander39
Troll

Post by waylander39 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:54 pm

I must say I'm quite intrigued by the MThac0 system myself and it certainly seems to streamline things for 2nd ed. As far as 3rd ed is concerned I have the first psionics handbook but not the expanded one yet. But by the sounds of things it may be worth a purchase. I've downloaded the 3rd edition rules from Athas.org but haven't had a chance to read through them yet. Are there any additional psionic rules there at all?

Idabrius
Hill Giant

Post by Idabrius » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:57 pm

I would guess that they're going to have rules for specifically Dark Sun manifestations of psionics, since there were more than a few neat things that DS developed like the Obsidian Orbs and the Psionic Constructs (featured prominently in the excellent written adventure Mind Lords of the Last Sea).

10th Age books on Lulu
10th Age and 2e downloads on the Frothing Mug

Moderator of the Homebrew, Birthright, Planescape, Dark Sun, and the Orc's Revenge boards. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:27 pm

waylander39 wrote:As far as 3rd ed is concerned I have the first psionics handbook but not the expanded one yet. But by the sounds of things it may be worth a purchase. I've downloaded the 3rd edition rules from Athas.org but haven't had a chance to read through them yet. Are there any additional psionic rules there at all?
I would guess that the Psionics Rules in the SRD are mostly the same as the ones in the Psionics Handbook, but it is worth having a look.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

waylander39
Troll

Post by waylander39 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:51 pm

From what I've seen there's no major differences but I've since got the Expanded Psionics which provides a lot more powers and classes. Complete Psionic is next to be hunted down for a few more possibilities and additions. As always it's not a matter of getting the books but getting the time to read through them and then use them.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:48 am

waylander39 wrote:From what I've seen there's no major differences but I've since got the Expanded Psionics which provides a lot more powers and classes.
Usually the SRD is compatible with D&D, but just has a few things pulled from it. This was done to attempt to make the SRD a hobbled D&D, but you can legally add your own rules to make the SRD a fully working system (as long as you don't use the d20 System logo).

If you hunt around the Internet someone may have invented some rules to tack onto the SRD, that make it do everything that Expanded Psionics does (but in a different way).
waylander39 wrote:Complete Psionic is next to be hunted down for a few more possibilities and additions.
If you are using 3rd edition (3.0 or 3.5), don't forget that the ESD Conversion Agreement allows for this old Psionic stuff to be converted to 3e. So if there is anything really good, that has been pulled from the WotC version of the psionics rules, there might be a fan somewhere who has already created a 3e conversion of that old rule.

I've not seen any generic fan websites for D&D psionics rules, but they might have something on The Burnt World of Athas. Try looking through their Dark Sun 3 page. The download links are all on the right. Chapter 6 and Chapter 10 look like they will be most interesting to you.
waylander39 wrote:As always it's not a matter of getting the books but getting the time to read through them and then use them.
Same here. I never got to do anything with Dark Sun other than read it. (I think that is why WotC's version of D&D had more highly detailed NPCs and less stuff for a GM to create themselves. I think they listened to all the people who complained about not having enough time. I won't say if that is an improvement or not, as it is all subjective, but I think it is something that shaped 3e's product line.)

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Post by Silverblade-T-E » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:56 am

I made my own rules up for psionics in2nd ed to streamline the mess, lol!
http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/ad ... ionics.htm
That was published in Polyhedron ;)
-----------------------------------------------
I'd rather be a Fool who Believes in Dragons,
Than a King who believes in Nothing

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com

Spelljammer is back, oh yeah, BABY! :D

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:18 am

Silverblade-T-E wrote:I made my own rules up for psionics in2nd ed to streamline the mess, lol!
I'm psychic crusing your head! I'm psychic crushing your head! Crush! Crush! Crush! :lol:

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Post by Silverblade-T-E » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:16 am

a) "I crush a you head!" :p

b) Scanners!! :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------
I'd rather be a Fool who Believes in Dragons,
Than a King who believes in Nothing

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com

Spelljammer is back, oh yeah, BABY! :D

Return to “Dark Sun”