Poll: Dominant Races in Thalassa

We left our old worlds, each of us. This is it. We can't go any farther. This is The Edge.

What are the dominant races in Thalassa?

Human
30%
Demi-Human (elves, dwarves, halflings, and gnomes)
25%
Goblinoids
16%
Saurians (lizard people, sentient dinosaurs, or whatever)
12%
Avians (with or without flight powers - yes you can have flightless avians)
4%
Insect people
4%
Spider people
2%
Plant people
5%
Undersea races
4%
Other (specify)
No votes

Total votes: 57

Chimpman
Hadozee

Poll: Dominant Races in Thalassa

Post by Chimpman » Thu May 07, 2009 10:54 pm

Ok, I figured we might be able to use the poll feature on these boards to help us come to some decisions for Thalassa's setting bible. Pick the top three races that you want to see as dominant in the world. I'm leaving the poll open ended for now. Hopefully we'll start to see some pattern emerge.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: Poll: Dominant Races in Thalassa

Post by Ashtagon » Fri May 08, 2009 12:07 pm

I voted humans, demi-humans, and saurians. But I'd quite happily have goblinoids, spiderfolk, plantfolk, and insectoids in there too. I don't want avian or aquatic races, since that would imply at least some kind of bonus on special movement modes, which I think should be avoided. Yes, I know avians don't have to be flyers (penguins, moas, and ostriches, forex), but any player who sees a flightless bird is going to think "wtf kind of gimp race is that?".
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

cab
Storm Giant

Post by cab » Fri May 08, 2009 12:15 pm

Ashtagon wrote:I voted humans, demi-humans, and saurians. But I'd quite happily have goblinoids, spiderfolk, plantfolk, and insectoids in there too. I don't want avian or aquatic races, since that would imply at least some kind of bonus on special movement modes, which I think should be avoided. Yes, I know avians don't have to be flyers (penguins, moas, and ostriches, forex), but any player who sees a flightless bird is going to think "wtf kind of gimp race is that?".
No matter how decent a game runequest was, criticism always came down to ducks. Lets avoid that!

cab
Storm Giant

Post by cab » Fri May 08, 2009 12:17 pm

Humans and demi humans... Then its a toss up really. If its a planet with equal distibution of sea and land to our own, then it seems reasonable to suggest that aquatic species may be as dominant, at least in their own realms.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Fri May 08, 2009 4:19 pm

cab wrote:No matter how decent a game runequest was, criticism always came down to ducks. Lets avoid that!
Ahhh :D I always loved Howard... ;)
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

maddog
Frost Giant

Post by maddog » Fri May 08, 2009 7:26 pm

Humans and demis for me. As for the 3rd race, I chose goblinoids but wouldn't be against another baddie.

--Ray.

EDIT: After some thought, I changed my vote to "Saurians (lizard people, sentient dinosaurs, or whatever)" instead of goblinoids. Saurians seem to fit the theme better.
---
Hey! I just became a frost giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.

Marco Fossati
Stone Giant

Post by Marco Fossati » Fri May 15, 2009 11:44 am

Humans, Demihumans and goblinoids.

My concept of a fantasy world is quite traditional :D

Idabrius
Hill Giant

Post by Idabrius » Fri May 15, 2009 5:37 pm

I always like to see more complex goblinoid races, so I'm all for humans, demis, and goblins. However, with such a size (especially if we consider the world to be Jupiter-size as was being discussed) I do think there's plenty of room for one-off races that exist only in one place or another.

10th Age books on Lulu
10th Age and 2e downloads on the Frothing Mug

Moderator of the Homebrew, Birthright, Planescape, Dark Sun, and the Orc's Revenge boards. My moderator voice is green.

Marco Fossati
Stone Giant

Post by Marco Fossati » Mon May 18, 2009 6:53 am

One undersea race could be interesting...something like the Twaelar Empire in Mystara

Vile
Bugbear

Post by Vile » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:33 pm

Humans, demi-humans and saurians for me. I could also go for goblinoids, but saurians would make a nice change for a more alien "opposition". As Idabrius said, there's still plenty of room for one-offs (and even three-offs). I'm still working my way through these threads, but am I correct in thinking that none of the intelligent species on Thalassa are indigenous?

Oh, do let us avoid ducks. Since 1983 all references to "ducks" in my RQ books have been tippexed out and replaced with "goblin". Works a treat.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:52 pm

I choose humans, demi-humans and undersea races, seeing as most of our cities appear to be along the coast the idea of a water born enemy might be interesting, plus in my years of playing I've yet to do an aquatic adventure.
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Wed May 05, 2010 10:47 pm

I would like to see Humans, Demi-humans and Saurians as the primary races, in fact the T`Lassan`s a desert lizard/toad race is already churning in my mind. An older degenerate race that inhabits the dry rocky badlands in which many old ruins of a much greater culture once thrived.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Wed May 05, 2010 11:51 pm

I would like to see Humans, Demi-humans and Saurians as the primary races, in fact the T`Lassan`s a desert lizard/toad race is already churning in my mind. An older degenerate race that inhabits the dry rocky badlands in which many old ruins of a much greater culture once thrived.
Please, do not hesitate to develop your idea, Azaghal! And welcome on board! :)

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Thu May 06, 2010 12:44 pm

IMHO, given the nature of the planet, I'd almost go with "none". I see the situation as sort of this: Say Race A is in power for the last couple of centuries. Then Race B shows up and knocks Race A out of power. Repeat constantly. No race is dominant for very long; there's always another race, or faction, or whatever that will come along and knock them off their pedestal. Humans & demi-humans should probably be fairly common where ever you go, if only because those are the most popular PC races. But just IMHO, of course :)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Return to “The Edge”