Repost: The death of the moon

We left our old worlds, each of us. This is it. We can't go any farther. This is The Edge.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Repost: The death of the moon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:33 pm

A lost world.

A thousand years ago, the moon died.

A thousand years before that, skygazers across the planet reported a silvery birdlike entity, who flew from the constellation of ill omen and wrapped the moon in her wings. For three days she remained there, then she flew away again. The manifestation was duly recorded, but no one knew what to make of it.

A thousand years before the present day, the moon cracked. Observers said it resembled nothing so much as an egg that had been pierced from within. Over the next three days, they watched in horror as it fell apart, its shards falling from the sky and devastating the world. Winged shapes of silver light escaped from the orb, crying out in joyous musical tones.

Today, the world is a very different place than it was. The oceans have risen and remapped the world, and vast swathes of territory have been transformed into desolate and highly magical moonlands, where the touch of the lunar shards have distorted them into something alien and strange. In the sky, the remnants of the shattered moon remain as a haunting reminder of the perfect orb that once graced the heavens. On the earth, the cult of the Silvery Ones demands submission to the new gods who gestated in the moon. The system of moongates that once connected the fey empire with the otherworlds went wrong when the heavenly body they were tied to broke; the remaining moongates can lead to literally anywhere now. The very afterlife has changed: where once souls were ushered into the land of the dead by the kindly goddess of the moon, for centuries they had no way of escaping the world of flesh at all, and gathered in undead hordes until the arrival of the Pure Ones, a race of fiends with smiling masks who offered to construct a new afterlife for a price. Through the jagged holes pierced in the cosmos, the Unfettered emerged, horrifying fiends who sought nothing but destruction. From the timeless depths of the Graveyard of the Gods, elder gods awoke to find their errant children had let their creation be shattered by invaders from without; the old gods, full of rage, made new war in the heavens, and now seek to found a new divine dynasty so that the world will have new wonders to replace the old.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Re: Repost: The death of the moon

Post by dulsi » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:35 am

Dragonmech has a broken moon. Lunar pieces fell to the planet and destroyed the surface of the planet. Lunar gods and the planet gods now fight for control. I'm not saying you copied the idea but the striking similarities make me rather not go with the idea as written. (If fact I really like your imagery of the bird embracing the moon and it cracking apart.) Perhaps just downplay/remove the devastation to the planet and the lunar/planet god battle. The moon could break apart and form into a ring of debris around the planet.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
ImageImage

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:19 pm

Hi rip!

LoZompatore's article brought this idea back to my attention. I'm pretty sure that on the other boards there was a little bit more discussion with this thread. Anyway, I can't remember if your original idea was meant to be for Piazzaworld, or if it was meant to be the homeworld for something that subsequently moved to Piazzaworld (Zomp is assuming the former in his write-up).
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Sat May 29, 2010 9:02 pm

The development of the Edge planar geography in the dedicated thread (see here) has made me think about the many concepts introduced above by ripvanwormer.
The highlighted sentences listed below are very interesting, in my opinion:
On the earth, the cult of the Silvery Ones demands submission to the new gods who gestated in the moon.
the Pure Ones, a race of fiends with smiling masks who offered to construct a new afterlife for a price
the timeless depths of the Graveyard of the Gods
elder gods awoke to find their errant children had let their creation be shattered by invaders from without
the old gods, full of rage, made new war in the heavens, and now seek to found a new divine dynasty so that the world will have new wonders to replace the old
The Silvery Ones could be the new deities who allied together to get new followers exploting the Moonstrike and its consequences.
The Pure Ones could be incorporeal spirits native of the Esoteric Wilderness who showed themselves in the Mundane Plane in order to get power or "food".
The Graveyard of the Gods could be some place of the Esoteric Plane famed for its large number of ancient deities' domains (both inhabited or abandoned. The elder gods could be the immortal patrons of races long extinct on Thalassa.

Any other suggestion/idea on this matter?

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sat May 29, 2010 9:14 pm

Perhaps the moonstrike could be a product of a war between the gods as they vied to increase their followers? (instead of the natural disaster I had previously assumed) This may also explain a lot of other phenomena on the planet.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun May 30, 2010 12:38 am

I missed the comments! Yeah, this was originally meant to be ideas for Piazzaworld.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Sun May 30, 2010 9:14 pm

LoZompatore wrote:The Graveyard of the Gods could be some place of the Esoteric Plane famed for its large number of ancient deities' domains (both inhabited or abandoned. The elder gods could be the immortal patrons of races long extinct on Thalassa.
Ashtagon wrote:Perhaps the moonstrike could be a product of a war between the gods as they vied to increase their followers? (instead of the natural disaster I had previously assumed) This may also explain a lot of other phenomena on the planet.
I like the idea that the Graveyad of the Gods was once a thriving section of the esoteric plane, but is now a devastated wasteland. Whatever gods once dwelt there have either all perished in an apocalyptic war (perhaps the one mentioned by Ash), or fled and are now in hiding somewhere else on the plane. This could translate into ancient pantheons on the material plane that are now long gone. Perhaps we should weave an event like this into the overall history of Thalassa - maybe around the -10,000 year mark? I'm thinking that many of the older gods could have been wiped away before many of the modern races actually get pulled into the Edge setting.

Anyway, the esoteric plane is turning out to be just as interesting a place as the material plane. I think we're doing a great job so far.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Return to “The Edge”