Poll: The Edge planet size

We left our old worlds, each of us. This is it. We can't go any farther. This is The Edge.

What is the size of Piazzaworld?

Poll ended at Sun May 30, 2010 8:49 pm

The same as Earth's (current setting)
89%
About 1.4 Earth's (it will double the surface, the existing maps will be scaled up to fit the new dimension)
11%
Double the surface, adding new lands (same size as option 2) leave the existing maps unchanged, adding new lands to the global map)
No votes
Other (please justify your choice)
No votes

Total votes: 18

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Poll: The Edge planet size

Post by LoZompatore » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:49 pm

MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): "Piazzaworld" was an old working title for "The Edge" and is no longer used. This post is being edited for clarity. The poll at the top of this thread can not be edited without resetting the results, so that is being left.

NOTE: Given the fact that this is a basic setting for Piazzaworld The Edge, this poll will expire at the end of May and the results applied thereafter.

This is a poll to help setting the definitive size of Piazzaworld The Edge planet.

At present Piazzaworld The Edge is about the same size as Earth. A recurring option in this forum was to have its size enlarged so to have more surface available for culture-placing and exploration purposes. Nevertheless, the gravity level should be kept the same as Earth, which limits planet dimensions.

A good compromise would be to have Piazzaworld The Edge radius about 1.4 Earth radius. This will double Piazzaworld's The Edge's surface which respect to Earth. The surface gravity level will be the same as Earth's if Piazzaworld The Edge average density is set at 0.7 Earth density (the same density of Mars).
I would set this radius as a limit for Piazzaworld The Edge enlargement, as larger dimensions would either increase the surface gravity above Earth values or decrease the average density under what is reasonable for a rocky planet.

Under this "enlaged planet" option there are basically two more choices:

A) - Leave the existing maps unchanged and multiply their scale by a factor of 2. So, for example, a former 24 miles/hex map will become a 48 miles/hex map. This option would imply just minor modifications to the work already done;
B) - Leave the local map unchanged in both scale and dimensions and then enlarge the global map, adding new continents and oceans in order to fill the new surface created by the enlargement process. This option will require a major redrawing of the global map;

You can vote to leave everything unchanged (Piazzaworld The Edge is an Earth-sized planet), choose options A) or B) or suggest your own alternative (please post your comments below).

;)
Last edited by LoZompatore on Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Re: Poll: The Edge planet size

Post by Hugin » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:07 pm

Voted. So far we have unanimity!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:32 pm

yup still unanimous. Keeping it Earth size just simplifies a lot of things.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:40 pm

Please note you can still change your vote until the poll expires ;)

metal
Stone Giant

Post by metal » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:44 am

Voted Earth size. I leaned a little towards 1.4 Earth size, but decided to stay with Earth size.
metal
Long live Mystara
"I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!"

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:17 am

Also will the world size hint at the possibility of say a hollow world? ;)
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Vile
Bugbear

Post by Vile » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:37 am

I voted for Earth size. There's plenty of land there for setting variety, while avoiding the need to mess with physical norms like gravity, horizons, etc.

Mind you, I do like the idea of a metal-poor world ...

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Wed May 05, 2010 11:41 pm

Earthsized. Gives us tons of room to play with, adding a Hollow World possibility opens whole new vistas. Also let us not forget the vast Underdark.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Return to “The Edge”