Refuge Point: a call for new buildings and landmarks

We left our old worlds, each of us. This is it. We can't go any farther. This is The Edge.
LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Refuge Point: a call for new buildings and landmarks

Post by LoZompatore » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:30 am

This is a call for new buildings and landmarks in Refuge Point city. Any contribution, from a one-line suggestion to a whole detailed entry of a palace, a street or a whole quarter is more than welcome.
The excellent work done so far by other users (night_druid, Idabrius, Ashtagon, Chimpman, maddog, yellowdingo) already gave many basical and very interesting structures to the city. What about further improving it?

To help placing these new contributions I tried to divide the city into districts. Further modifications to the number and borders of these areas could be always made in the future if needed.
Refuge Pouint quarters are highlighted in the map below:

A short description for each area is suggested below. Detailed entries for many of the landmarks of the list can be found here

Area A:
The "top district", one of the most ancient of the city. The city government is likely placed here. Part of the old city walls of Qal Tallon stand here, as the big Central Tower, still used as a watchtower and a sightseeing point. Many entrances to the Underhalls (an ancient underground system of catacombs and dungeons) can be found here.

Area B:
Likely a trader or warehouse quarter. The Blue Goblin Inn (a typical adventurer's tavern) could be placed here. Part of the Underhall dungeon system (see area A) could extend here as well.

Area C:
Likely a mixed residential/military quarter. Part of the military fleet could be harboured here. The Skytower 19 (a trade company of flying ships) could be placed here. Part of the old Qal Tallon city walls and of the Underhall dungeon system (see area A) could be located here as well.

Area D:
Likely a residential/administrative quarter. The Chained Library (a collection of reports and lore from extraplanar refugees) could be located on the hill's slopes. Part of the old Qal Tallon city walls and of the Underhall dungeon system (see area A) could be located here as well.

Area E:
Likely a residential quarter. Part of the Underhall dungeon system (see area A) could extend here as well.

Area F:
Likely a commercial quarter. Most fish from the internal lake could be sold here. A patrolled road leads to a military fort to the north and to the opposite shore of the internal lake.

Area G:
Northern caravanserai. Maybe this is where the Piazza (a large commercial square, busy almost 24 hours a day) stands. Among many other goods, most of the timber needed to the city comes through this city gate from the woodcutter's village to the north (not shown on this map). A well defended fort dominate the plaza to the west. Long docks are used to move goods to the Southern caravanserai (area I) and the internal trade hub (area L).

Area H:
The main suburb of Refuge Point, outside the city walls but still somewhat protected by the surrounding hills. Goblintown could be located here. A patrolled road connect to the miltary fort and outposts to the south.

Area I:
Southern caravanserai. Among many other goods, most of the building stone needed to the city comes through this city gate from the quarries to the south east (not shown on this map). Long docks are used to move goods to the Southern caravanserai (area G) and the internal trade hub (area L).

Area J:
Likely a commercial quarter. The long dock extending SW is the Skeleton Breakwater, mostly made of wreks and debris from ships (mostly extraplanar) that did not manage to reach the harbour.

Area K:
Likely a mixed commercial/residential area.

Area L:
Likely a mixed commercial/residential area. This is where goods from both caravanserai (areas G and I) and from the internal lake are loaded/unloaded for local trade and internal use.

Area M:
Likely a residential area. The outpost in the middle of the channel act as a military garrison and ship traffic control.

Area N:
Likely a mixed reisdential/military area. Part of the military fleet could be harboured here. The fort in the southern hill is the main defensive structure of the whole southern half of the city. Local craftmanships should further process exotic raw materials extracted by extraplanar wreks in the "junkyard" village to the southeast (not shown on the map).

Please feel free to ignore the suggestions above, or to move any location somewhere else, if you think it would better fit the general setting of the city. Anything on this map can be improved or modified as you like. ;)
Last edited by LoZompatore on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vile
Bugbear

Re: Refuge Point: a call for new buildings and landmarks

Post by Vile » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:10 pm

LoZompatore, I cannot see the pictures in your posts - is anyone else having this problem?

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:09 pm

Vile wrote:LoZompatore, I cannot see the pictures in your posts - is anyone else having this problem?
I can't see them either.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:11 pm

I think it may be because they are in bmp format. Most web browsers b y default only display jpg, gif, or png images.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:04 am

Thanks for the advice! :)
Actually I was able to see the picture (a bitmap) in my post, but now I changed it to a .jpg.

Hope it is fixed, now ;)

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:03 pm

Just a few quick replies for now:

Panther's Clashing: An ancient stone bridge that spans the straight (between Areas D and K), Panther's Clashing is a sight to behold. Four great cats, carved from what appear to be solid pieces of obsidian, stretch out from the embankments to grapple one another forming a colossal archway over the water. Claws and tooth lined jaws interlock in the center in such a way as it is hard to fathom how the builders fashioned such marvels from separate pieces of stone and managed to fit them all together. The causeway is 30 meters wide, situated between the two sets of clashing felines.

Varied myths around the Clashing have persisted throughout the eons since it's construction, with the most popular being that it was built be Taltinian mages who animated the great stone cats, commanding them into their current positions before constructing the rest of the bridge around them. The myth is believed enough that adventurers still search for the knowledge that will bring the great stone cats back to life, making them obedient to whoever holds the keys to their secrets. Such an occurrence would undoubtedly destroy the bridge however.

Seal of the Koranni: Deep beneath the tower of Qar Tallon (Area A) lies a heavy seal crafted of stone and steel. Taltinian tales abound telling of the dark entities that destroyed their homeworld, and that many say, followed them into this one. Myths hold that the ancient Taltinians captured one of these dark entities, imprisoning it beneath the Seal of the Koranni. Whether this is true or not is unknown, but a secretive sect of warriors exists in the depths below, tasked with never allowing the seal to be opened.
Last edited by Chimpman on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:10 pm

LoZompatore wrote:Thanks for the advice! :)
Actually I was able to see the picture (a bitmap) in my post, but now I changed it to a .jpg.

Hope it is fixed, now ;)
Much better!

I have to dash out now, I'll have a think for some ideas later.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:17 pm

I'm thinking there should also be a set of bridges spanning from E or F to the island located in M and then from there to the opposite shore on M.

There should also be a gatehouse (or two) at G (one leading out of the city and the other leading to H) and another at I. Possibly smaller ones at F and N.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:56 am

Excellent landmarks! I just love the idea of the Panther's Clashing Bridge: I imagine that it should act as a natural city extension to the North Continental Road, with a bsy and nearly continuous traffic on it, on both sides.

Other bridges will be included for sure, even if I would like not to add too many of them (maybe a couple more), as I would like to give some prominence also to small boat traffic across both sides of the strait and with the internal lake.

I'm wondering if we could institute a City Corporation of Turnpikers (see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnpike_trust) which collect tolls across the Panther's Clashing Bridge, the lesser bridges, the city gates, the external and internal docks of the city. It would be a powerful corporation, responsible for a good portion of the City Management Income. Maybe its principal seat could be located in area D. It would be a mostly hated organization, but it is necessary for city maintenance and improvement. Passing merchants would constant try to hide their merchandises them from the Corporation and to pass the strait without paying the proper toll. Of course this would lead to a prosperous underground community of smugglers on both halves of the city.
Any feedback/ suggestion about it?

The Seal of the Koranni is a really cool thing. Are the Koranni the legendary dark beings, or is it the name of the hero who managed to imprisoned one of them? It could lead to a very interesting piece of background for the ancient Taltinians. ;)

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:57 am

LoZompatore wrote:I'm wondering if we could institute a City Corporation of Turnpikers (see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnpike_trust) which collect tolls across the Panther's Clashing Bridge, the lesser bridges, the city gates, the external and internal docks of the city. It would be a powerful corporation, responsible for a good portion of the City Management Income. Maybe its principal seat could be located in area D. It would be a mostly hated organization, but it is necessary for city maintenance and improvement. Passing merchants would constant try to hide their merchandises them from the Corporation and to pass the strait without paying the proper toll. Of course this would lead to a prosperous underground community of smugglers on both halves of the city.
Any feedback/ suggestion about it?
I love this idea! It could be just such an organization that encourages folks to use ferries and water transportation to move goods rather than taking one of the few bridges in the city. Do you think there would be only one such organization or would there be more than one - perhaps one guild controls traffic in the northern city, while another guild controls the southern city. Perhaps a separate guild controls shipping traffic? It might provide for some good intrigue opportunities having multiple guilds work against one another.

I also agree that this would be the impetus for the formation of one or more thieves/smugglers guilds.
LoZompatore wrote:The Seal of the Koranni is a really cool thing. Are the Koranni the legendary dark beings, or is it the name of the hero who managed to imprisoned one of them? It could lead to a very interesting piece of background for the ancient Taltinians. ;)
My initial intention was that word Koranni was plural... however other than that I haven't decided yet. It could refer to a group of adventurers/warriors who imprisoned the dark being, or it could also refer to the dark beings themselves. I'd like to think there are rumors floating around both ways and that the real meaning has been lost to time.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Vile
Bugbear

Post by Vile » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:23 am

Chimpman wrote: I love this idea! It could be just such an organization that encourages folks to use ferries and water transportation to move goods rather than taking one of the few bridges in the city. Do you think there would be only one such organization or would there be more than one - perhaps one guild controls traffic in the northern city, while another guild controls the southern city. Perhaps a separate guild controls shipping traffic? It might provide for some good intrigue opportunities having multiple guilds work against one another.
I like the idea of competition between shipping and bridge guilds, but I would think there would be only one bridge guild in the city - after all, one of the purposes of guilds is to create a monopoly in order to control prices. If there were two bridge guilds they would probably collude and form a cartel, so that one wouldn't undercut the other.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:45 am

Here is another one:

The Stone Hedgerow: These crumbling stone blocks are set out like enormous game pieces upon a giant playing board (somewhere in Area K). Each rock is larger than a pair of oxen, and although most believe that at one point images were carved upon the stones now only a patchwork of eroded contours and pockmarked bulges remains. The site causes many discomfort and bouts of anxiety and paranoia. Despite this, or perhaps because of it, the Hedgerow is a favorite hangout for the city's streetwise youth. Gangs of toughs will often use it as a proving ground for prospective members, daring them to stay within its confines for some prolonged period of time.

Although the common belief is that the Hedgerow is of Taltinian make, most scholars doubt the voracity of that claim. In fact several ancient scrolls stored in the Chained Library detailing the founding of Qal Tallon mention the monument as pre-existing. More obscure scripts hint at the purpose of the site, detailing rituals that can be performed within it which grant the performers visions of past and future events.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Wed May 05, 2010 11:48 pm

I think Vile has a point in saying that competitor guilds on different sides of the city would likely form a cartel. Maybe we could differentiate such guilds by the area of interest / mean of transportation. For example, there could be a guild which collect fares on bridge, which is in natural competition with the guild which collect fares on boat transpotration across the channel, and there could be a third guild which controls the city gates (and who cannot rise too much its prices otherwise merchants will not enter the city, thus damaging the two other guilds). Each of them would also extend their powers also on the opposite shore of the internal lake, to prevent bypassing by merchants not interested to stop in Refuge Point.

With regard to the Stone Hedgerow, it is a really brilliant add-on! I like it a lot :)
It could be used very well for low level adventures as far as the youth gangs are involved. It seems also a very good place where to hide treasures and stolen goods, while its vision-granting power could be a very interesting plot device for a whole campaign (what about some young gang members having a vision about the impending seaborn invasion of Refuge Point from a unknown enemy fleet?)

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Sat May 08, 2010 12:17 am

LoZompatore wrote:I think Vile has a point in saying that competitor guilds on different sides of the city would likely form a cartel. Maybe we could differentiate such guilds by the area of interest / mean of transportation. For example, there could be a guild which collect fares on bridge, which is in natural competition with the guild which collect fares on boat transpotration across the channel, and there could be a third guild which controls the city gates (and who cannot rise too much its prices otherwise merchants will not enter the city, thus damaging the two other guilds). Each of them would also extend their powers also on the opposite shore of the internal lake, to prevent bypassing by merchants not interested to stop in Refuge Point.
Yup, that all makes sense.
LoZompatore wrote:With regard to the Stone Hedgerow, it is a really brilliant add-on! I like it a lot :)
It could be used very well for low level adventures as far as the youth gangs are involved. It seems also a very good place where to hide treasures and stolen goods, while its vision-granting power could be a very interesting plot device for a whole campaign (what about some young gang members having a vision about the impending seaborn invasion of Refuge Point from a unknown enemy fleet?)
:twisted: I like this idea. Sounds like maybe we have our first Refuge Point adventure plot!

Yeah, I wanted to try and come up with something that could work for low level PCs and perhaps scale to work as they achieve greater powers.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed May 12, 2010 11:45 pm

Tepnuen's Mosiac: Situated just outside of Skytower 19 (in Area C), is a circular stone mosaic nearly 100 feet in diameter. Merchant's tents are frequently erected there, either to sell to or buy from folk docked at the Skytower. Of real interest, to both scholars and adventurers, is the mosaic itself. Tepnuen was the ancient Taltinian god of the sea, and the mosaic was designed as a giant map depicting Refuge Point and the surrounding areas in his honor. The city itself can be seen, marked in ancient Taltinian as Qal Tallon, but other sites are marked on the map as well.

Although sections have been damaged and even torn away over the eons, enough of the map still remains for interested parties to be able to divine the location of other ancient cities and sites of importance. Rumors persist that some of these other sites also have mosaics of their own (depicting maps of their own locales), and that individuals can travel from one site to the next, slowly piecing together a map of the ancient world.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Fri May 14, 2010 8:27 pm

The Tepnuen Mosaic is a really good adventure hint for PC parties interested in long term explorations. It could be a suitable (though incomplete) starting point for a quest to reach the fabulous Paradise Hidden settlement. Of course the mosaic do not show its position, but further hints about this place could be collected in other cities/places of interest mentioned on the mosaic. What if the Skytower 19 was built just in front of the mosaic because one of its founders was obsessed with Taltinians and Paradise Hidden? Maybe a descendant of this guy could hire PCs for a skyship exploration journey in search for this place...

On another note, here you are four new landmarks for Refuge Point: three are inside the city walls, the fourth is some miles outside. Hope you like them ;)

The Underground Cisterns

This is an old subterranean Taltinian complex of cisterns and ducts located under Areas A and B. Most of the system is still maintained in full operation by the current city administration. Cisterns were carved both by magic and local labor, aimed to provide to the city a supply of fresh water during sieges and to contrast sickness induced by the swamps which once stood where Districts D-E-F-K and M now are. The five (out of the original seven) major working cisterns can provide enough drinking water to 100’000 people and their animals for about 8 months (increase these numbers by 50% if water is rationed). At present, maintenance crews are mostly made of amphibian or aquatic folks from the underwater settlements around Refuge Point, though humans and demi-humans are also present. This underground water system is not well known outside the maintenance staff, so rumors about it abound throughout the city. Recurrent gossip mostly revolves around to: secret shafts connecting the cisterns to the sea and to the underground tunnels below District A; dry underground hidden alcoves where the amphibians store supplies, treasures and smuggled goods; an elusive watery creature living inside the cisterns; monsters and other underground strange creatures inhabiting the two crumbled, out-of-order, large cisterns.

The crumbled half-arena and the Mourning Town.

These are the remnants of an ancient arena built during Taltinian rule, used for centuries as a theatre, a circus and a sports ground. It was built in area K - outside the old city walls due to its dimensions – and near to the path of the major trade road leading to the city so to let foreigners attending the events. Shortly after the end of the Taltinian rule, the fool monarch Gevrimbaar I and, later, his son Wiribour the Bloody turned the arena in a gladiatorial combat stage and used it for public execution of their opponents.
An earthquake crumbled the arena during the last days of Wiribour, destroying most of the building during a dark and stormy night. Legend says that a powerful foreign priest named Ghalal showed herself to the king just a few days before the earthquake and warned him about the impending doom of his life and his deeds. So large was the number of deaths inside the arena’s walls during the reign of both kings that the building was never repaired nor returned to its original peaceful use.
In the following decades people living in the suburbs of Refuge Point used the ruins as a stone quarry, building their houses along the trade road with stones taken from the building. The arena was stripped of most its structures, and just about half of it was still recognizable 60 years after the earthquake. Then a dark, hooded spectral figure was seen with increasing frequency among the ruins and very soon people trying to collect stones from the area found themselves scared and repelled by it. On the same time, it is said that any stone robbed from the arena began a low mourning sound every time the specter manifested itself to the mortals. Many mourning stones were returned to the ruins by their scared owners, but many others were left in place (or evenly sold to foreigners) and soon the suburb began to be called "The Mourning Town" by Refuge Point inhabitants living inside the city walls. This name is still used today when referring to the core of District K and it is often used as a pun, being the District K located eastward (i.e. on the Morning side) with respect to the city center.
In the following centuries any attempt to turn or drive off the spectral creature failed; on the opposite, these attempts seemed only to increase the strength and the aggressiveness of the creature versus any intruder. After a few accidents involving some deaths the city authorities declared the area off-limits. When, further later, the Steel Ogres lost two entire commando squads they sent exploring into the ruins, they surrounded the whole area with barbed wire and nettings (their intended scope being pretty unclear, as the specter often showed himself to be incorporeal). Anyway, as these fortifications showed themselves useful to keep (most) citizens away from the ruins, the following civic authorities kept them in place and maintained them up to now.
It is debated among priests and scholars if the specter is the soul of Wiribour, condemned to forever haunt the ruins due to his horrendous crimes, or rather it is the soul of Ghalal, who after her death chose to protect this place from scavengers and let it stand as a memento for Refuge Point citizens. Both hypothesis could be wrong anyway.

The Steel Bunker

This was the former headquarters of the Steel Ogres occupation force during their few years of rule over Refuge Point. On the outside it is a low, plain, grey structure of reinforced concrete which was built by demolishing a few ancient buildings on the channel-facing slope of the hill on Area C. Most of the complex is located underground, where it was built by expanding and connecting pre-existing underground tunnels. The complex was used as barracks, as an ammunition depot and as the General Staff seat of the invading ogres. It was put under siege by the angry mob of Refuge Point people when it was clear that the ogres would not have received reinforcements anymore. A couple of attempts to storm the bunker were bloodily repelled by the defenders, then a truce was signed and a safe-conduct leading outside the city was arranged for the ogres. Most of the weapons and useful equipment was stripped by the fleeing ogres, the rest was scrapped by Refuge Points inhabitants in the following years. At present most of the complex is empty, a few suitable places are used as the city's food warehouses and as edible fungi cultivations. A large internal steel and lead vault is sometime used as a maximum security prison for magic-users. A few sealed secret rooms are rumored to exist somewhere inside the complex: sometime adventurers' parties ask official permission to search for them, always finding nothing. Less legal people do the same on hide, accessing the ogres' complex by breaking the concrete walls which separates the military structure from the old underground tunnel network outside it. Such breaches are of some concern to the city authorities as they could let monsters, undead people and other creatures into the relatively "clean" area of the Steel Bunker.

The Battlefield of Shame

This is a wooded patch area located some 9 miles N-NE with respect to the city which the authorities explicitly forbid to settle or exploit. Rangers patrol the wood on a regular basis ensuring that no one breaks this law. The place is the battleground where the proud Refuge Point army first met the invading Steel Ogres forces after the city refused two consecutive ultimatums from the humanoids. The battle was over some twenty minutes after the first hits and it shattered most of the famed Refuge Point knightly nobility of the time (including nearly all of the city's elite armed forces as well). Winning ogres forbade the recovering of Refuge Point corpses, leaving them unburied in the field as a warning to those who still opposed them.
Bitter resentment is still linked to this place by the most ancient families of the city and the prohibition to settle this piece of land is mostly intended to protect the settler from the wrath of the nobles, who will likely interpret such an act as a desecration of their ancestor's grave. A thick wood grew on the place after many centuries of neglect.
It is believed that, buried below the wood, are many powerful magical weapons, pieces of armor and other items which were worn by the ancient knights the day of their last battle. Their magical nature should have preserved most of them during these centuries and so they represent a valuable asset to be searched for. It is to be noted that many young descendants of the ancient knights now spend a few years on duty as rangers just to protect this place from intruders. The most fanatic of them can be very nasty with trespassers.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon May 17, 2010 6:38 am

Ok, I've finally had a chance to read through all of these - very good stuff! I love that you added some Steel Ogres lore into the mix! We have Taltinians and Steel Ogres... are there any other major periods in the city's history that we know about?
LoZompatore wrote:The Underground Cisterns
The Cisterns are great. They give us a way to tie in with undersea races and cultures. I'm wondering what kind of experiences undersea nations would have in the Aberrant Seas? I assume that the forces at work on the surface would be just as active pulling in creatures and cultures from other worlds beneath the waves as well.
We have the possibility of an amphibian smuggling ring (which I think we should explore further), as well as some semi-aquatic dungeons. Clear out the old crumbled cisterns, and reclaim them for the city - another adventure plot that we can expand on.
LoZompatore wrote:The crumbled half-arena and the Mourning Town.
When I first read the title I thought it said Mourning Tower... what if some wizard is gathering up as many of these stones as he can find in order to build some twisted mockery (for dark purposes unknown).
I also like that there are several different rumors around the specter creature, any of which can be true.
LoZompatore wrote:The Steel Bunker
A possible location for lost Steel Ogre technology and lore. This locale could have all kinds of possibilities. Not only that but any manner of items could have been removed from the bunker already and sit waiting in just about any part of the city - waiting to be misused by some unsuspecting citizen.
LoZompatore wrote:The Battlefield of Shame
I love it. We need more battle sites. I can understand the noble's desire to protect the bodies of their ancestors, but I could also see their desire to recover some of those powerful family heirlooms for their own use. And then there are the restless spirits within the Battlefield of Shame itself. Perhaps some are more restless than others... and perhaps they have some as yet unfinished business with the Ogres... and with the people of Refuge Point who left them to rot in their shameful graves.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

eldersphinx
Troll

Post by eldersphinx » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:33 pm

The Temple Of Small Truths

Religious faith isn't simply described in the ever-changing city of Refuge Point. Immigrants from a hundred worlds have blended together here, mixing their different gods and doctrines together, and new dogmas arrive almost yearly to tempt the uncertain. It's no surprise, then, that the city's half-dozen or so major, established temples are all thoroughly genericized - each one constantly broadening its doctrine to reveal the faith of some new group of refugees as just another outworld's variation on the True Word and worshipping the (presumably) same divinity under half a hundred different names. Newer congregations in Refuge Point are mostly exile faiths - brought to Refuge Point by some group of outworld refugees, but energetic and distinctive enough to remain coherent for a generation or two even as the entire world changes around them. These are invariably niche faiths, however, of interest only to a handful and likely to wither into obscurity as the original congregation ages and passes away.

The Temple of Small Truths is an unusual thing, then - something that doesn't fit either of the above models. It's existed for centuries longer than any exile faith would be expected to endure, but isn't nearly as generic as one of the city's established churches. Its success is simple - rather than focusing on religion for its own sake or worship of a specific divine being, the Temple of Small Truths has adopted a mission - to learn of the current events, future happenings and reliable rumors of the city of Refuge Point, collect and rebroadcast them to the people of the city. Any priest whose god approves of such efforts is welcome to join the Temple, and promote their creed in the process of furthering the Temple's greater mission. In such a way, the Temple of Small Truths has survived for more than six hundred years - creating an ever-shifting pantheon of deities promoting truth, knowledge, freedom, civilization, law and justice, and several other ideals beside - all while providing a vital service to the people of Refuge Point.

The Temple Proper

The Temple of Small Truths has never gone in for monumental architecture - the words it produces, not the space it inhabits, is the focus of its work. Currently, the Temple's headquarters is a complex of three converted commercial buildings in the Central Docks district, about halfway between the main channel and the outer wall. Each of the three buildings houses a different part of the Temple's business; Inquiry, Preparation and Stewardship. The three groups cooperate closely, but at low levels each can pursue its own goals independently. Most low-ranking priests work with only one section, but transfers between sections are by no means unknown - and may be offered to those the temple leadership wishes to groom for higher rank.

Inquiry occupies the smallest of the three buildings owned by the Temple, a repurposed boarding house. Inquiry's job is, simply enough, finding out what the Temple needs to know - which includes making contacts, sorting truth from lies, drawing connections between seemingly important events, and making sure that sensitive information doesn't get out to the wrong people.

Much of Inquiry's space is small and well-soundproofed offices, used for interviews or condensation of raw notes, but there's also living quarters available for priests working odd hours or the occasional source who needs to quietly disappear off the streets for a few days; the Inquiry building also has no less than three discreet side entrances, two leading into back alleys and one to an underground tunnel opening up a hundred yards downhill from the Temple. Finally, there's a large planning office, dominated by a sizable table with a detailed scale map of the city; Temple priests regularly keep it updated through magical and mundane means, to track who lives where, owns what and is engaging in which activities. Many city notables (Watch captains, merchant magnates and slumlord crime-bosses alike) would love to have some way of peeking at this map, but so far the Temple's managed to keep access to it to themselves.

An oversized converted warehouse is the headquarters of Preparation, the arm of the Temple that produces and distributes the information gathered by Inquiry. Most of this building is a single large room, its floor speckled with freestanding altars to a dozen different faiths - it's here that scribal-priests use their spells to produce stacks of pamphlets and broadsheets, or crier-priests come to memorize the day's news before they take to the streets, calling on the gods to amplify their voices.

In addition to the main gathering area, Preparation also has several smaller rooms built along two walls - some at ground level, some accessed by narrow balconies looking over the main area. These rooms are used as offices for priests handling editing, review and coordination of distribution, and also as storage space for paper, ink, wine, incense and similar raw materials. A former grain silo lies only a short distance away from Preparation's main building and has been turned into an archives tower - it seems unprotected, but has actually been warded by subtle magics that make it only accessible to those coming directly from another part of the Temple.

Finally there's Stewardship, which handles most of the behind-the-scenes work associated with the Temple's mission. This includes collecting tithes and donatives (which can be either small-scale payments from those who appreciate the work the Temple does, or larger-size offerings from those who hope the Temple will report on a particular topic), recruiting prospective acolytes, and applying proper diplomacy with other temple leaders and city notables who might feel threatened or offended by the work done by Inquiry and Preparation. While Stewardship might seem at first to be the least necessary of the Temple's three branches, it provides a lot of vital support that allow the other branches more time to focus on their goals - and has access to nearly all the information gathered by Inquiry, which can be used for coercion or blackmail as appropriate.

It's not surprising that Stewardship is housed in a former counting-house, with a subdued exterior but well-furnished offices and an easily-guarded main entrance. The counting-house's former coinage vault is rarely even full - money comes in on a regular basis, but leaves again just as quickly - but is still well-protected by spells and mundane means alike. Anyone choosing to try and break in would likely sooner or later regret it.
I have left the Piazza and will not be making new posts or checking PMs. If you wish to correspond with me about my past work, please use the Mystara Mailing List.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:59 am

Wyvern & Wing (Area F)
This building is an oddity as it serves the purpose of an armory, weaponsmithery, inn, tavern and stablery. Originally founded by Hyleos Highwing (LN ½ Red Dragon Half-Elf, Fighter 6) as a an armory 30 years ago it stood as one building, an armory. Dramos Darkwing (CG ½ Black Dragon Elf Rgr 3/Wiz 2) sought out Hyleos after hearing about him and appealed to his business sense to expand his operation into the creation of weapons. The notoriety Hyleos and Darkwing rose over the years for their fine carftsmanship and attracted Pyensis Pyrothensis (CG Wyvern-Spawn Human Rog 4). Pyensis expanded the business of her dragonblooded kin to add a two storey inn. After a decade of godd business, Gwynnivar Greenskin (CG ½ Green Dragon Lizardfolk, Sorcerer 4) felt the call of free enterprise and joined up with the trio by adding an tavern to the business. Six months following Arthyrr Bluerlynn (Human Dragonblooded* Commoner 2) expanded the business by adding the stablery.

*From Races of the Dragon.
I'll add more as I can think of it.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Return to “The Edge”