Religion?

We left our old worlds, each of us. This is it. We can't go any farther. This is The Edge.
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Re: Religion?

Post by Boddynock » Thu May 06, 2010 11:56 am

That's fine. I sort of wrote it in a rush, perhaps Dendi Gemfotter is viewed as the creator of gems and that a lot of the gnomes I work with are earth gnomes they just happen to revere him (whether or not he is a revealed deity of this world or a deity the gnomes worshiped and brought to this area is anyone's guess.) Still I'd like to keep the creation myth, even if its just the gnomes myth to try and explain the creation of the races.
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Mon May 31, 2010 4:24 pm

Semi-crazy idea...

How about we import the traditional real-world religions wholescale? It neatly explains why divine magic no longer works in the real world (these deities can't get here from there), reduces the amount of work needed for conversion, has no legal ramifications, provides an easy hook if you want your party to hail from earth itself, and provides an easy reference so players can quickly understand these deities.

Perhaps though, a little re-imagining of these pantheons to fit D&D sensibilities. After all, who is to say our RW ancestors had the full low-down on what was really going on between the gods.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Mon May 31, 2010 4:26 pm

I don't think its semi-crazy, actually that was my plan when I ran a game to just allow my players to use real world mythological figures, also so I can put my copy of Deities and Demigods to use.

My Wattpad Profile

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon May 31, 2010 6:28 pm

Heh... Tepneum is just an anagram of a real world deity.

I don't have a problem using real world deities (or even entire pantheons) as the basis of deities on the Edge, but I'm not so sure I'm as comfortable with trying to tie them back to our world.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:18 am

A revamping of this thread just to summarize what we have so far about deities.
In the following list I made a couple of changes with respect to the original portfolios: I associated Illisia to the bright moonlet orbiting Thalassa, she will be the second daughter of Nara and Naryan in the Jackob's mythology. I also shortened "Dendi Gemfotter" to "Dendi" in order to make this guy a less gnomish and a more "generic" deity (the name "Gemfotter" likely being an add-on attributed to him by gnomes and dwarves).

Here is the list:

- Naryan: the Sun; keeper of light,
- Nara: the Moon; keeper of darkness, navigation
- The Shade: the ring orbiting Thalassa; malice, corruption, twilight
- Tharcis: the void of space; hate, jealousy, desire, narcisism
- Illisia: the bright moonlet; knowledge
- Ayana: the dark moonlet; sleep and dreams
- Dendi: gems; craftmanship (?), creativity, invention (?)
- Tepnuem: sea (especially the Aberrate Sea, at present); travel, exploration
- The Pure Ones: the Moonlands; hope, afterlife to undead
- The Silvery Ones: the Moonstrike; change, submission to a new order
- The Dark Beings: shadows; illusion, darkness, persecution of enemies
- The Elder Gods: ancient deities no longer represented on the Mundane Plane (maybe represented in a few stars?)

Jackob suggested a trilogy of deities interested in knowledge, invention and creafting respectively. He introduced Illisia as the deity of knowledge, while Dendi could be the second member of the group.

As you see, I tried to assiociate each deity with a physical element or event of the Mundane Plane: I think such an approach would help in figuring out deities' portfolios. we could also expand the list above on par with the Thalassa's solar system thread.

By the way, any idea for a deity representing Thalassa itself? (it would be the analogous of the Ancient Greek deity of Gea, I suppose) ;)
Last edited by LoZompatore on Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:13 pm

LoZompatore wrote: - Tepnuem: ??? (to Chimpman: I was not able to find its portfolio in the message board: where is it?)
The Abberate Sea, travel, and exploration.

Tepnuem (you had the e and u reversed in your original post) was the Taltinian sea god on their home world. He probably got sucked into the Edge World at the same time as the Taltinians did. Other than that I haven't really thought about him much, so we can make changes and additions to his portfolio as needed.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:53 pm

Thanks a lot! :)

Edited the previous list with the new portfolio.
Added also the Dark Beings introduced by Boddynock and possibly related to Taltinis' persecutors ;)

By the way, if Nara is the keeper of darkness and the Dark Beings actually represent darkness, then I envision a strong enmity between these beings. Moreover, former and present Taltinian colonies (including Refuge Point) should be naturally biased towards worshipping Nara, so to keep the Dark Beings at bay. The evocations of Dark Beings' powers to repel the Steel Ogres by the Fiori Hills' mages surely was not appreciated by Refuge Point people, by the way. This action would also have introduced a century-old issue in the relationships between Refuge Point and the Fiori Hills, maybe preventing the developing of a full alliance against Kelidra and other local powers. ;)

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:17 pm

LoZompatore wrote:- Dendi: gems; craftmanship (?), creativity, invention (?)
That's understandable about the god being named Dendi with the dwarves (specifically the Germanic clan as well as earth gnomes) named him Gemfotter. As for domains all of those work out very well.
LoZompatore wrote:Thanks a lot! :)

Edited the previous list with the new portfolio.
Added also the Dark Beings introduced by Boddynock and possibly related to Taltinis' persecutors ;)

By the way, if Nara is the keeper of darkness and the Dark Beings actually represent darkness, then I envision a strong enmity between these beings. Moreover, former and present Taltinian colonies (including Refuge Point) should be naturally biased towards worshipping Nara, so to keep the Dark Beings at bay. The evocations of Dark Beings' powers to repel the Steel Ogres by the Fiori Hills' mages surely was not appreciated by Refuge Point people, by the way. This action would also have introduced a century-old issue in the relationships between Refuge Point and the Fiori Hills, maybe preventing the developing of a full alliance against Kelidra and other local powers. ;)
More then likely the case indeed. It certainly be an issue that also divides the city states. Some were pro summoning others were against it. House Weasel and Otter being the top pro summoning. Weasel is big for rogues and wizards while Otter is big on being pragmatic and perhaps not seeing the true consequences of dealing with fiends. While the agrarian Badger and the honorable Wolverine would not stand for it. In fact despite all the trouble the Dark Beings have caused there is undoubtedly in Weasel circles cults of the Dark Beings lead by cleric-wizards who offer sacrifice and spoils to appease their fiend masters.

My Wattpad Profile

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:34 am

So it looks like I got a couple of more deities to add to the mix. Now these aren't really a scalykind pantheon or anything I promise! : ), rather this is a collection of gods that lizardfolk are known to worship.
I don't plan to list Natali or Te'naptrus (look up the Fiori stuff about the sun and moon serpents) Those two are actually divine servants of Naryan (the sun) and Nara (the moon.) Both of these couatl are just their messengers in a receptive form for the lizardfolk to praise. Now! To some real scaly beasts

Sobek CN: Crocodiles, River Travel, Swamps, Marsh
Is a chaotic neutral form of the Egyptian counterpart and is respected by the lizardfolk. Some river dwelling humans worship him, but do not trust him. Not that Sobek is evil in this realm, but he can't help his hunger much like his favored children. In the Fiori hills a few gnomes worship Sobek for safe travel on the rivers but Sobek tends to favor lizardfolk more. He dislikes Apophis, the Sun Eater for his wanton destruction.

Apophis CE: Entropy, desolation, chaos, destruction
Apophis is a sly cobra in the grass. His goal has not changed since the strange realm swallowed him whole during a time when mortals feared and hated him. On one hand this strange new land has brought him into contact with other powers, making him tread lightly he also is aware of more evil powers to use. He wishes to devourer Naryan whom he believes is Ra in disguise but the Sun God has already slapped him away. Works with The Shade but the two are only nominal allies.

Tar-Basloshka CE: Madness, realms beyond, lord of malformed things
Tar-Basloshka is said to have no permanent shape. He, or it, is merely a collection of eyeballs lurking just beneath the crust of the earth. He is hated by all the gods for his insanity and corruption not only poisons the minds of their followers but lead to many new coming spirits to become the malformed. The Vault of Mental Expansion, Basloshka's tomb as its also know is said to dwell near the north pole, those whom he chooses to serve him echoes the location of his vault and carves their very own, exact shape hole in the great mountain, to suck the being in and as they journey they become 'expanded' his magical runes morph the stone, stretch and bend until the new disciple is a malformed creature to add to the collective. Tar-Basloshka is imprisoned in this tomb by the action of the other gods.

Tyr LG Righteous justice, ordered retribution. The lord of the even handed
Though slain during Ragnarok the even handed awoke in this realm, still wounded but alive again. He is charged with guiding righteous justice. He hates injustice and in those early days of the realm was ready to take the fight to every evil god, as more mortals came the gods had to settle and use their mortal followers. He has large worshipers with dwarves and fire gnomes (svirfneblin)

The Gods of Death. The Lord, The Reaper, The Judge

Anubis LN: The judge of the dead, guardian of graveyards
Pulled from the realm beyond Anubis, Pluto, and Hel formed the triumptive of death. It is Anubis' job to judge souls, no longer with the feather of Horus, but rather souls are shown a reflection of their alignments and are allowed to plead their case before the jackal headed ones, sages believe it is pointless, that a mere look tells Anubis where one truly belongs. As the judge of death he has the ability to send souls where they belong to their deities domain within the esoteric plane. He also allows souls the choice to remain with Pluto for any who in death leave The Edge are forbidden to return and thus cannot be raised. He is cold, formal, and elegantly dressed that if it didn't involve death he'd be a little silly with the jackal head. He is respected by all for he has no emotion on matters, save for Tar-Basloshka who wishes to corrupt him. Anubis rarely gets mad except if graveyards are defiled by the undead or necromancers. He commands his clergy to destroy undead at all costs. For the most part Anubis clerics tend to take jobs as caretakers for graveyards.

Pluto N: God of death, keeper of the realm of the dead. Overseer of Funerals
All souls who wish to remain in The Edge go to him, they work his fields, they toil under a dead sun. Pluto is the strongest of the trio and he commands all dead. He cares for no petty politics, he cares for no divine strife, just as long as the souls keep coming Pluto is satisfied. His clergy are the ones who officiate funerals and embalm the bodies. Pluto cares not for any crimes committed, that's Anubis' job, but he does keep the souls toiling in the fields until they are raised. Heroes or villains who feel their time on this realm is over and they wish to leave can actually leave upon death to the domain of their deity to receive their just reward or their just deserts.

Hel CN: The Harbinger of Death, the Grim Reaper, The Lady of Disease
Hel is the one who brings the souls to Anubis. Its not that she particularly likes the job "Taking souls can be a bit boring after awhile." Nor has she not shown emotion when a being has died, she herself felt bad when finding Balder in her realm long ago. She is the weakest of the triumptive as its just her job to make sure the souls are not stolen by demons or devils (The few who have tried with the two-faced one has also regretted it.)

(That's some more to add, comments welcomed.)

My Wattpad Profile

Return to “The Edge”