Cartography: hexed zooming from the global map

We left our old worlds, each of us. This is it. We can't go any farther. This is The Edge.
LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Cartography: hexed zooming from the global map

Post by LoZompatore » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:55 pm

In the following you'll find an hex coverage of the Edge's global map, intended to be used as a reference for mapmaking.

It is on a very large scale, some 648 miles/hex, 9 times the 72 miles/hex map (which was the larger scale until now). This map is slightly different from the global map on the master document: it already includes a few changes from the various thrads opened in the last month, so you are going to see it in preview.
Please also notice that the hexes are not intended to match across the cuts of the map. This is intentional: a matching between hexes laying on opposite sides of the cut is assumed to occur only on far smaller scale hexes, and not at this level of zooming.

You'll get a zipped bitmap version of the picture by clicking on the link below:

zipped file of this map

While I was preparing this map I noticed I messed up a bit the original scale, so the Edge planet turned out to be slightly larger than Earth (the Edge world radius is some 20% greater than Earth radius). It is not a dramatic increase, gravity levels could be tuned to Earth value by assuming that the Edge is slightly less dense than Earth.

A rude but effective way to make a 72 miles/hex map from the global map above is this:

- zoom the global map by 900% and centre it where you want to make your detailed map;
- screen-capture the resulting picture and paste it in some picture editor program;
- cut the borders of the screen-captured picture so to have only the selected map and save it as a bitmap file;
- superimpose one of the grids you find in the files here, here and here : small hexes are 72 miles across.

Done.

Notice you'll get a double gridded hex map, which I suggest you to use as a reference map in order to draw your one. You'll have to refine coastlines and mountain ranges and a lot of other things, so in my opinion it is more practical to draw a new map basing on this reference map than to directly work on the reference map itself. Use the reference map just to make sure you are correctly matching the global and local hexgridding.

as an example, here is what you get if you use the three-layered hexgrid on Refuge Point 648 miles hex and surroundings:

zipped file of this map

It is identical to the 72 miles/hex map you'll find in the master document.

By the way, the same method could be used to straightly jump from the 72 miles/hex scale to the 8 miles/hex one. Just iterate the procedure above.

I hope it could be useful ;)

Return to “The Edge”