A call for villains for the setting

We left our old worlds, each of us. This is it. We can't go any farther. This is The Edge.
LoZompatore
Hill Giant

A call for villains for the setting

Post by LoZompatore » Wed May 26, 2010 9:11 pm

We need villains for our settings! Things are too quiet all around, so far! PCs are going to be bored to death if they do not have villains to fight... :D

As you see, this is an official call for villains for the Edge setting. Any personal portfolio, short description, fragment of a prophecy or paseant's gossip about villains roaming Thalassa and surroundings is more than welcome in this section.

Please notice that the word "villain" should be intended in its broader sense that is, an antagonist force to PCs. Whether it is a single being, a rival party, an hidden organization, a religious faction, a rival country, it is up to you to determine. Moreover, the antagonist do not necessarily need to be (utterly) evil: a neutral entity with opposing beliefs/interests with respect to PCs is a good villain as well, in my opinion.

If you want to add your villain to the setting, even if it is a very generic description or it refers to faraway places with respect to the areas developed so far (Refuge Point and the Fiori Hills) please post it below ;)

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: A call for villains for the setting

Post by Chimpman » Thu May 27, 2010 4:31 pm

Dallah Matriak
An ancient scholar of Taltinia, Dallah Matriak is frail and wrinkled, yet radiates an aura of power and beauty nonetheless. A practical historian rather than an esoteric one, Dallah made several profitable discoveries in her youth and was able to capitalize on them to build a modest mercantile empire. Now in her old age, she funds various expeditions across the globe in an effort to unearth long lost Taltinian artifacts, and is considered to be the foremost expert on that ancient empire in all of Refuge Point.

Dallah is always on the lookout for promising young adventurers, and privately backs many expeditions into the unknown. Individuals that show exceptional talent are recruited into her inner sanctum and sent of missions of her own design. Dark whispers hint that many such expeditions fail to ever return to Refuge Point, and very few locals ever sign on for such ventures as a result. In addition, Dallah's seemingly long life span puts many on edge. Rumors abound that she settled in Refuge Point shortly after the last sighting of Crimson Sails in the area - some 80 odd years ago.

In truth, Dallah's long life span and intimate knowledge of ancient Taltinia are owed to the fact that she once captained a vessel of Paradise Lost. In order to save her ship and her crew Dallah was forced to come ashore, violating her people's taboo of ever touching land outside of Paradise Lost. Taltinian tradition holds that should any of Taltinian blood ever set foot on dry land, the ancient Darkness may once again find them. In order to prevent the Darkness from discovering their hidden city, Dallah accepted her exile.

The years have not been good to the old captain however. Consumed by a desire to return to her homeland, Dallah spends every waking moment searching for the Darkness, that she might destroy it. She willingly sends adventurers to meet their doom in her endeavors, and has succeeded in waking many things in the deep earth which should never have been disturbed. Her success at destroying such ancient evils has been mixed at best.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Fri May 28, 2010 5:04 pm

LoZompatore wrote:We need villains for our settings! Things are too quiet all around, so far! PCs are going to be bored to death if they do not have villains to fight... :D

As you see, this is an official call for villains for the Edge setting. Any personal portfolio, short description, fragment of a prophecy or paseant's gossip about villains roaming Thalassa and surroundings is more than welcome in this section.
Steel Ogres are becoming a popular villian, it seems. Probably should do a writeup on a few of 'em :D
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Sat May 29, 2010 1:39 am

From my end I'd like to take some time to write a little more about Slorn Banethorn

A bit of back story:

The 509 were one of the Steel Ogre Empire's toughest of air-to-ground combat troops. It is said their name, The Blood Hooves, came from their specialization of air drops just above the enemy position where their booted 'hooves' could stomp upon the enemies head. General Slorn Balafor was the witch general charged by high command to secure the Fiori hillsides as a major food producer for the empires army. While the initial battle was a route for the enemy the occupation was not as clean as Refuge Point. The gnomes and lizardfolk, rather then be like the men of the north and fight in pitch battles choose to abandon their cities and hide underground. They could be flushed but not without casualties. Gnomes who knew the hills had set up rock slides and ambushes, lizardfolk knew the swamps whose thick canopy no air ship or flying chariot could penetrate. The top side was secured and the ground work was being laid, yet there was always a constant incident that plagued the 509's occupation efforts. That was until the fiends came.

From the shadows fiends of the night tore into the ranks of the ogres. It wasn't one pitched battle but night after night a patrol, a watchmen, some poor soldier laying in bunk would be found ripped to gory pieces. Even in a fully alert barracks could one find a body or two. To Slorn Balafor the need to survive outweighed the ideals of the Varparian warrior. Slorn used fel magic to transform him from varparian to something viewed by him as just as strong and cunning, though bestial and crude. A minotaur. Needless to say Slorn was branded a coward by his retreating compatriots and sent into exile a pariah. Slorn Balafor died upon transformation, Slorn instead took the thorny branches that were his home on the outskirts of the Fiori hills as a sign. He was Slorn Banethorn.

Current Incarnation:

Slorn Banethorn now commands a small but effective horde of lesser humanoids. Though he appeared to be a minotaur his mental faculties were still the cunning Steel Ogre. The minotaur picked up a number of fel cultists to serve as his aides, helping him slay a former orc chieftain and supplant him as warlord. Slorn now makes war upon the established gnomes of the Fiori hills and the lizardfolk. With only his tiny horde Slorn plays it close to the vest. Raiding for food or extorting small villages with protection demands of gold and grain. It is hard work keeping his raucous horde in check but Slorn stands a leader unquestioned, and he grows, with gnoll rebels from the hills and trolls from the swamplands, Slorn stands poise to install his own kingdom in the center of the lizardfolk and the gnomes.

Habits and Personality:
Slorn is a defensive minded tactician. Preferring small raids and extortion rather then resort to full rape and pillage he is able to avoid as many casualties as possible (even with the trickle of growth he only has 200, a lot of whom are non-combatants or support types. He knows he is the smartest of the lot and has no problem belittling his servitors, he despises contests of bravado as it only gets another soldier killed who could be used on the battlefield.

Slorn enjoys bathing and though he wishes to have comely human slaves to wash him he settles for half-orcs begrudgingly. He views himself somewhat cavalier as he is willing to extort villages and offer his protection rather then raid them and speaks with a posh mannerism though delivered in a bestial tone due to his shape. He views himself a gentleman warlord while he is derisively named by gnomes as a gentleman butcher.
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Sat May 29, 2010 8:25 pm

Thanks for the two portfolios, guys! They are both very intriguing, I envision many adventure possibilites with them! :D
Steel Ogres are becoming a popular villian, it seems. Probably should do a writeup on a few of 'em
You definitely should. :mrgreen: I'd be glad to read more about them! ;)

I hope I manage to add my contribution to the villain list as soon as possible!

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:46 am

Bartle the Damnable (Gnome Mage) self-proclaimed 'warlock of fiends'

As noted from the Fiori hills of Bartle's Tower, that tainted spire that seems to dominate the area between Fairmount and the so-called Perfect Halls. The strife and evil in the hills is often times laid to the fit of the damnable gnome mage. An air gnome who had appeared with many of his people from beyond the portal was the first to foresee the destruction of the gnomish cities at the hand of the foreign brutes the 'steel ogres.' As gnomes began to scatter from the cities to hide into the hills rather then be captured as subjects of the ogre race it was Bartle who appeared before the enclave of wizards in the halls of Bartonia with an offer. To contact a race of benefactors the warlock had claimed to have met and strike a deal. A pack of terrible creatures to befall the tyrannical ogres. For all the discipline and composure the wizards had built up desperation won out, they followed Bartle's plan to unleash the fiends into the world. For all their trouble the 10 besides Bartle were rewarded with a quick death. From Bartonia the curse began and consumed the gnomes there only to spread out and attack the Steel Ogres.

For all this Bartle vanished into the night, abandoning the city he promised with honeyed words to protect, Bartonia the Beautiful died and Bartle the Damnable was born.

Current Incarnation:
There isn't much to know about Bartle, the renegade magic user stirs his own plots and plans to bring misery into the world. One can find him consorting with fiends or advising the Brixton's. The mage seems to take a kind of glee from instilling chaos on his people. He is a high level wizard who fancies himself a mastermind in the business of villainy.

(I do admit that yes, Bartle is kind of a quick, pint size conversion to Bargle, but I couldn't let the concept fleet away about a renegade wizard. The I didn't want too much set for Bartle because I invite individual DMs to make up some kind of dastardly plan for Bartle; a sort of Dr. Doom for Thalassa whose hand is always into some kind of crime or fiendish deed.)
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Return to “The Edge”