Names for the continents of Thalassa

We left our old worlds, each of us. This is it. We can't go any farther. This is The Edge.
LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Names for the continents of Thalassa

Post by LoZompatore » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:55 pm

Up to now there are no names for the continents of Thalassa. Any suggestion? The southern continent could be divided into 2-4 different areas.

You could make reference to numbers in the global map below in order to identify the area you want to name:

The full resolution map can be downoladed here

The only requirement is this: please give each continent a name starting with a different letter. I would like to use the inital letter as a tag for locations in the general world map, in order to simplify number assignment of places (for example, if we have continents named "Dooku", "Skywalker" and "Vader" locations on the first continent would be D1, D2, D3, etc, those on the second continent would be S1, S2, S3, those on the third V1, V2,V3 and so on :D ).

Please add your own suggested names below, or express your support to names already given by others! ;)

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Re: Names for the continents of Thalassa

Post by Boddynock » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:16 am

Okay in the case of main continent we've been working so far I wanted to do a variation of Galapagos, seeing as this is a water heavy setting and Galapagos being some of the most famous islands. Mixing a bit of Qal'Taltinian I thought of the continent Qar'Lavagos Or the "Q" continent.

Now this one is preliminary but I wanted to start with some kind of name, even if it was a bit silly sounding and going from there.
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:00 am

LoZompatore wrote:The only requirement is this: please give each continent a name starting with a different letter. I would like to use the inital letter as a tag for locations in the general world map, in order to simplify number assignment of places (for example, if we have continents named "Dooku", "Skywalker" and "Vader" locations on the first continent would be D1, D2, D3, etc,)
Naturally, if anyone dares name the continents after a Star Wars character (or Star Trek, or any other series for that matter), I will have to kill them. Nothing personal, of course. :P

If it makes anyone feel better, I would probably feel compelled to administer a mercy killing to any PC unfortunate enough to come from a planet/continent/kingdom named Dooku, in the hope that their next life would be more auspicious.
Last edited by Seer of Yhog on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:06 am

Boddynock wrote:Okay in the case of main continent we've been working so far I wanted to do a variation of Galapagos, seeing as this is a water heavy setting and Galapagos being some of the most famous islands. Mixing a bit of Qal'Taltinian I thought of the continent Qar'Lavagos Or the "Q" continent.

Now this one is preliminary but I wanted to start with some kind of name, even if it was a bit silly sounding and going from there.
I don't think it's silly. It's a bit reminiscent of Klingon. :P :ugeek: I think your notion of using archipelago names (as the world is primarily watery) is a good one. From my (admittedly biased and limited) background and readings, continents usually have short names; empires and nations (being more directly the product of hubris and ego) tend to have longer names. Maybe we could play with the letters a bit to distance it a bit more from the original:

Qarlagavos?
Qarlagos?
Lagvos?

Just some thoughts. Feel free to trash.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

metal
Stone Giant

Post by metal » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:56 am

Lagvos?
I like it!
It has the sound of either a continent or a seedy, backwater, village, over run with vermin. ;)
metal
Long live Mystara
"I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!"

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:02 pm

Well we certainly got a lot of backwater villages. Though Qarlagos has perhaps a little more elegance in my opinion.

My Wattpad Profile

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:05 pm

I think it might be worth taking a dominant culture from the ancient world for each continent-analogue, and translate their word for earth/land. Once we have a few base words, we can adjust the phonemes a bit to make a unified set (I'd suggest making a "-sa" suffix; T-Europe might be "Tarsa", from Latin terra, for example).
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:29 pm

Tarsa, actually that's a pretty good one for the first continent. Especially since the gnomes of Fiori hills, humans of refuge point, and the other groups do have a sort of European flavor to them.

My Wattpad Profile

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:35 pm

Boddynock wrote:Tarsa, actually that's a pretty good one for the first continent. Especially since the gnomes of Fiori hills, humans of refuge point, and the other groups do have a sort of European flavor to them.
Since that continent is T-North America, I was thinking take the Navajo word for land (http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq61-4.htm kay-yah) as the base. Kais (rhymes with ice), perhaps? So Tarsa is the name of the island chain (occupied by 56 and 60 on the map) top the east of Kais.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:08 pm

* T-America, North - Kais (from Navajo kay-yah http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq61-4.htm)
* T-America, South - Manatasu (from Quechua mant'a suyu http://www.websters-dictionary-online.o ... Only&doc=1)
* T-Europe - Tarsa (from Latin terra)
* T-Africa - Barabara (from Swahili bara)
* T-Arabia - Dahnas (from Arabic /dny/)
* T-India - ?
* T-China - Suchi (from Chinese Tǔdì and Japanese tsuchi)
* T-Australia - ?

So far, most of the developed areas (including Refuge Point) are on Kais. However, just like the name of the planet itself (Thalassa), these names aren't really in use among the general population - only among academics and scholars.

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:28 pm

India - something from Hindi?
Words for "earth" - bhoomi, duniya, sansaar, thal (interesting one!)
The site I found didn't give more detailed explanations, sorry.

Australia - something aboriginal?
What about Uluru, the aboriginal name for Ayres Rock?

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:35 pm

Dave L wrote:India - something from Hindi?
Words for "earth" - bhoomi, duniya, sansaar, thal (interesting one!)
All of those share an initial with one of the other continent names, which rules them out. Duniya also happens to be a direct loanword from Arabic.
Dave L wrote:The site I found didn't give more detailed explanations, sorry.

Australia - something aboriginal?
What about Uluru, the aboriginal name for Ayres Rock?
Sadly, my English-Pitjantjatjara dictionary (yes, I really do have one!) is at my mum's house, and not easily accessed.

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:45 am

Ashtagon wrote: Sadly, my English-Pitjantjatjara dictionary (yes, I really do have one!)
Wow, just ... wow. :ugeek:

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:18 am

If it makes anyone feel better, I would probably feel compelled to administer a mercy killing to any PC unfortunate enough to come from a planet/continent/kingdom named Dooku, in the hope that their next life would be more auspicious.
LOL!! :mrgreen:
wait until I'll start naming cities from Star Wars planets!

My two cents about the excellent suggestions you made: :)

- Kais, Tarsa and Dahnas sound good to me.
- I like also the word Qarlagos, I wonder if it could be assigned to any location as well.
- Lagvos has its potential, too, even if I would change the word to "Lagavos" or the like.
- Barabara is not bad at all, but I think there are too much "a" in the word: would it be possible to introduce a slightly modified term, maybe substituting or inverting a couple of letters?
- I'm not sure about Suchi and Manatasu but I would not have problems in using them if other guys like those name as well. With regard to Suchi, would it refer to northern T-China (locations #70 on the world map) or to southern one (locations #72 on the world map)? I think we need a name for both of them.

About T-India and T-Australia, here are a couple of suggestions of mine, feel free to drop them:

T-India: what about switching from hindi to Sanskrit and using Vassia (from sanskrit "Vaisya"= merchant) for the western area (basically all locations #94 in the world map) and Adia (from sanskrit "aadyaa" = primordial) for the eastern peninsula (regions from #110 to #112 in the world map)?
T-Australia: (provided the "M" letter is free to be used) what about something like Mayamal (from aborigenal Mayamah = stone) or Munan (from aborigenal Munana= Old, this one also reminding to the legendary continent of "Mu")?

;)

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:31 am

LoZompatore wrote:My two cents about the excellent suggestions you made: :)

- Kais, Tarsa and Dahnas sound good to me.
- I like also the word Qarlagos, I wonder if it could be assigned to any location as well.
- Lagvos has its potential, too, even if I would change the word to "Lagavos" or the like.
- Barabara is not bad at all, but I think there are too much "a" in the word: would it be possible to introduce a slightly modified term, maybe substituting or inverting a couple of letters?
I'm rather attached to barabara :( It has an extra meaning in Japanese, it's phonetically similar to the name of a North African tribe (berber), and it has a relationship to a Swahili word. What's not to like ^_^
- I'm not sure about Suchi and Manatasu but I would not have problems in using them if other guys like those name as well. With regard to Suchi, would it refer to northern T-China (locations #70 on the world map) or to southern one (locations #72 on the world map)? I think we need a name for both of them.
I had intended Suchi to refer to both of those. Individually, they might be called North Suchi and South Suchi I guess, but the intent was to cover the entire archipelago.
About T-India and T-Australia, here are a couple of suggestions of mine, feel free to drop them:

T-India: what about switching from hindi to Sanskrit and using Vassia (from sanskrit "Vaisya"= merchant) for the western area (basically all locations #94 in the world map) and Adia (from sanskrit "aadyaa" = primordial) for the eastern peninsula (regions from #110 to #112 in the world map)?
T-Australia: (provided the "M" letter is free to be used) what about something like Mayamal (from aborigenal Mayamah = stone) or Munan (from aborigenal Munana= Old, this one also reminding to the legendary continent of "Mu")?
Sanskrit is a great idea. Which I'd thought of that one. http://spokensanskrit.de/index.php?scri ... rection=AU may have some suggestions - I feel a bit weird about using "merchant" as the base word though.

On the map, I see 94 (and bits of 91, 92, and 95) as T-India. 110-113 form T-Australia (and technically, also T-Antarctica, but there's no RW culture on that continent).

ETA: Sanskrit has dviipa for continent. D is already taken, but we can use V. How about Viipa, dropping the D?

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:32 am

I made a sketch with a general subdivision of Thalassa's landmasses, locating 12 regions that likely need a name. In the following picure I listed each regions naming it with the equivalent Earth landmass (if available):

The map is barely readable even at this resolution, the full resolution picture can be downloaded here

Hope this "Mentzer-like" map helps in better defining Thalassa's macro-regions ;)

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:00 am

I - The cultures on this region would seem to interact most with T-Europe; we can probably merge the two together into a "greater Tarsa"
II - This is "The Edge".
III - The south pole and surrounds is really just an extension of T-SAmerica. Part of Manatasu.
IV - Kais.
V - Tarsa.
VI - Manatasu.
VII - Barabara.
VIII - Dahnas.
IX - Viipa. I'd reduce the area a bit though. the region marked 110 on the original world map doesn't really have much in common with India; it's a "fey empire remnant", and corresponds to T-Antartica. otoh, perhaps we could re-imagine the fey empire "(east) Indian elves"? Making India and Antarctica the same "continent" also saves having to invent a continent name from whole cloth.
X - Suchi.
XI - T-Australia.
XII - I suspect your geography is wrong; T-Antarctica is (110) the fey elf civilisation. The actual landmass that XII points to on the left edge of the map doesn't really correspond to any RW continent. It does, however, correspond to any of a number of Pacific islands. T-Mu, perhaps? Isn't Qar'Lavagos a name looking for a place?

The only other issue is how to place the island chain between T-India, T-China, and T-Australia. They correspond to T-Indochina, and we can probably justify placing a third China-like (Vietnam-like?) culture there.

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:08 am

Ashtagon wrote:otoh, perhaps we could re-imagine the fey empire "(east) Indian elves"? Making India and Antarctica the same "continent" also saves having to invent a continent name from whole cloth.
Why do I suddenly think of the module Rahasia?

Not offering any concrete suggestions of my own, I've not been as active in this project as others have, but I thought I might do a little bit of research to help y'all out.

# - Location (Language) - Romanized translaton of "earth", "land", and "home" (as determined by Google Translate)
I - Cenral Asia (Russian) - Zemlya / Zemlya / Doma
II - The Edge (no translation required)
III - Southern Icecap - (uhh... what is the penguin language called?)
IV - North America - (I don't know of any Amerindian translators)
V - Europe - (Can't decide which language to translate from, English is the most representative, being evolved from both Romance and Teutonic languages)
VI - South America (Spanish) - Tierra / Tierra / Casa
VII - Africa (Swahili) - Ardhi / Nchi / Home
VIII - The Sandbox (Arabic) - 'Rd / 'Rd / Mnzl
IX - India (Hindi) - Prthvi / Bhumi / Ghara
X - China (Mandarin) - Diqui / Tudi / Jia
XI - Oceania (Indonesian) - Bumi / Tanah / Rumah
XII - Antartica - (see III)

Don't know if this helps any, but *shrugs* I was bored.

Cheers,
Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:49 pm

I slightly edited the map of Thalassa's regional subdivisions, here is the result:

The full resolution map can be downloaded here

In the map above I included Asthagon's suggestion about reducing region # IX: I assigned the "Lost World area" to nearby region # XI. I left the fey empire inside region # IX as in the master document this area is supposed to be someway conquered/colonized by the most aggressive branches of the indian-like civilization.
Going slightly off topic: I also highlighted a few regions in the map, suggesting likely cultural contaminations from nearby regions. This is not important as far as naming continents is concerned, but given the fact that this map will appear in the updated version of the master document, such a sketch might be of some help in further discussions about the involved regions.
I - The cultures on this region would seem to interact most with T-Europe; we can probably merge the two together into a "greater Tarsa"
III - The south pole and surrounds is really just an extension of T-SAmerica. Part of Manatasu.
True for both of them, I was in the process of eliminating at least the southern polar region but then I preferred to keep both of them as separate subdivisions, as they have a peculiar polar/subpolar climate and they could also harbor very distinct cultures (the Thulean-like civilization in the northern emisphere and a likely omologue - plus the most southern neanderthal groups - in the southern one). After all, we are naming just 12 regions, I think we could leave all of them, especially if some names are just used by scholars and do not actually refer to local denominations. ;)
XII - I suspect your geography is wrong; T-Antarctica is (110) the fey elf civilisation. The actual landmass that XII points to on the left edge of the map doesn't really correspond to any RW continent. It does, however, correspond to any of a number of Pacific islands. T-Mu, perhaps? Isn't Qar'Lavagos a name looking for a place?
I took the real-world denomination from one of the three base maps you suggested (here), here is the link to the singled out map:

http://www.palaeos.com/Paleozoic/Carbon ... ippian.htm

Actually, I suppose Thalassa's region # XII would be a mix of South America and West Antarctica. I don't know which kind of culture would be placed here (T-Mu sounds good to me), so I initially left empty the whole region for future develpoment. I like your idea about naming this area with one of Boddynock's suggested names (Qarlagos and Lagavos being my
perhaps we could re-imagine the fey empire "(east) Indian elves"? Making India and Antarctica the same "continent" also saves having to invent a continent name from whole cloth.
Why do I suddenly think of the module Rahasia?
Very nice suggestions from both of you! :) I used to think about the fey empire as a "classical" - though impoverished - faerie folk land (without elves, I must admit), but I must say that the idea of Rahasia-style indian-like elves sounds very intriguing. Morevoer, the area itself is very big: I suppose there is still room for pockets of relatively healthy fey lands, including either elves or other faerie folks. ;)
The only other issue is how to place the island chain between T-India, T-China, and T-Australia. They correspond to T-Indochina, and we can probably justify placing a third China-like (Vietnam-like?) culture there.
A Vietnam-like culture in the area sounds good to me. :) Notice, however, that this archipelago is very big (some 7000 miles in length) so there is actually plenty of space for a lot of different cultures. I splitted the islands among three different macro-regions, in order to account for likely influence from nearby lands. If you think it's better to assign a name for the archipelago as a single, distinct geographical entity let me know, I'll edit the map above. ;)

Finally, with regard to regional names, at this stage of development I'd go with Asthagon list, with a few suggestions:

- I'd rather use "Qarlagos" or "Lagavos" variants of Qar'Lavagos for region XII;

- (this is my last attempt, I promise :mrgreen:) what about using "Barabar" instead of "Barabara"?

- I'd use some words taken from the lists suggested by Gawain VII, Dave L, Seer of Yogh etc. to name regions I, III and XI. I suppose we could also make reference to those lists to name subregions and other lesser areas of the world. I'd slightly change the selected names, though, in order to make them unique and different from plain translations of English terms.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:13 pm

I and III - I can kind of see why you want to separate these out (climate), but aside from that, there doesn't seem to be much variety within them. In a hypothetical boxed set supplement, they would be better presented as part of the continent I assigned them to ;)

IX - On the continental part, that mountain range in the middle going north-south is what separates T-India from T-Antarctica.

http://www.scotese.com/newpage3.htm probably has the best drawn and best-researched image of all the sources. The map on paleos.com seems to have been simplified for an elementary school audience (and also seems to cover a slightly earlier time period), while nau.edu omits labels.
XII - I'm cool with this being M-Polynesia. It doesn't actually seem to match well to Earth tectonics, but a little invention is cool. It looks a little like the half-sunken version of S America from scotese was attached to the west of a non-sunken version of that same continent.

fwiw, it had been my intention that the scotese map would be the one to be regarded as the primary map source. The other two maps were given to "fill in the gaps" in the concept idea.

If we imagine that fey culture as Indian-flavoured, that effectively merges T-India and T-Antarctica into the same region culturally. They certainly are smushed up next to each other geographically.
- (this is my last attempt, I promise :mrgreen:) what about using "Barabar" instead of "Barabara"?
There are actually a lot of languages that make use of this kind of duplicated syllable to form words. I know it looks repetitive and redundant to English speakers, but it's astonishingly common outside of Indo-European languages. Purely off the top of my head, I could given you multiple examples in Japanese and Arabic.

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:52 pm

aside from that, there doesn't seem to be much variety within them. In a hypothetical boxed set supplement, they would be better presented as part of the continent I assigned them to
True , but I have great hopes for these two regions! :mrgreen: I hope further work will help into differentiating them into stand-alone areas.

Jokes aside (and going pretty off topic :P), I was wondering if we might connect the two polar regions through Thalassa's magnetic field, and connect it with some force field providing extra magic to Thalassa (i.e the polar regions should be "more magical" lands, especially during aurorae - we could also add a "deity of extra magic" connected with polar lights). We could define a northern and southern magical civilization (the northern one would be the already sketched Thulean-like people), very powerful in spellcasting but mostly confined to the polar regions due to the limited effects of extra magic.
There are actually a lot of languages that make use of this kind of duplicated syllable to form words. I know it looks repetitive and redundant to English speakers, but it's astonishingly common outside of Indo-European languages. Purely off the top of my head, I could given you multiple examples in Japanese and Arabic.
Ok, Barabara sounds good to me ;)

Ok also for the cartographic references about Thalassa's global map. Region XII is a mix between T-South America and T-Pacific Islands, with a lot of emerged lands in addition. Now I see why Boddynock's and Dave_L's names are really suitable for this area ;)

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:33 pm

When I move house in a couple of weeks, I'll have an opportunity to pick up my Pitjantjajara dictionary. We should have a suitable word choice available for T-Australia then.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:09 am

Now that I have my Pitjantjajara book to hand, I offer up the following alternatives...

manta - land
charungu - down under

Being a traditionally nomadic people, there's no word for home, and the nearest word for campsite better translates as "a place" - actual and potential campsites have the same word.

metal
Stone Giant

Post by metal » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:01 am

From Wikipedia:
The longest official place name in Australia is a Pitjantjatjara word, Mamungkukumpurangkuntjunya Hill in South Australia, which means "where the Devil urinates".
Quite a mouthful, but definitely gets the mind working about the dungeon located "where the devil urinates"! :twisted:
metal
Long live Mystara

metal
Stone Giant

Post by metal » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:10 am

Ashtagon wrote:Now that I have my Pitjantjajara book to hand, I offer up the following alternatives...

manta - land
charungu - down under
I'm sorry, Ash I HAD to do it..........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqWOlTqn6YU
:D
metal
Long live Mystara

Return to “The Edge”