Regional heraldry wanted

We left our old worlds, each of us. This is it. We can't go any farther. This is The Edge.
LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Regional heraldry wanted

Post by LoZompatore » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:12 pm

Ok, this is a request mostly directed to Chimpman, but anyone who would like to add its own contribution is welcome!

In short, I'd like to add heraldry to the master document's appendixes about Refuge Point, Kelidra and the Fiori Hills, but I'm not very good at it. Is anybody available to suggest a sketch/draw these three symbols?

Even tough Chimpman already made a lot of excellent heraldry for specific cities and organizations of the Fiori Hills, I would like to have also some sort of "collective" symbol for the whole regions (from an in-game prospective, let's say it is the heraldry suggested during the Unification War by the faction who wanted to build an empire out of the various Fiori Hills' settlements ;) ).

With regard to Kelidra, I think that its heraldry should have the Birhamian Lighthouse prominent into is, as it is its most distinctive feature by far.

I don't have a clue about what the possible heraldry for Refuge Point should look like. Any suggestion?

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: Regional heraldry wanted

Post by Chimpman » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:01 pm

I need to finish up my Fiori Hills heraldry - been falling behind a bit.

The lighthouse for Kelidra shouldn't be a problem. Do you have an idea about prominent colors?

I do have a few ideas for Refuge point. I'm thinking colors should contain blue (for the sea) and red/crimson (in remembrance of the Taltinians). Charges should probably be related to sailing is some way (ships, anchors, ropes, etc). I'll put a few different ideas together for this one and let folks decide.

Also I know there are a few others on these boards who do heraldry work - pretty good stuff actually. Some work in vector graphics which are good for creating pdfs. Unfortunately I use a program to generate my heraldry (which can be found here for any interested in giving it a go), and it generates straight images (not vector graphics). I make no promises about its functionality. On the plus side all the shields are saved as xml files, so if we need to regenerate at different sizes, that should'nt be a problem.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:13 pm

The lighthouse for Kelidra shouldn't be a problem. Do you have an idea about prominent colors?
The light from the lighthouse is red. The building could be grey or white, being a millennia-old structure exposed to sun and weather all year long. Another prominent feature of the island are the Jallacs, some kind of aggressive yak. Maybe a couple of horns could be included in the heraldry?

You introduced a characteristic colour for Taltinian-related heraldry, which sounds very good to me. What about introducing another colour for Birhamian ones? being kelidra a former Birhamian and Taltinian colony, it could show both colours on its coat of arms. (About Birhamian-related heraldry: what about a shade of green? I'm not very good for these choices, feel free to choose what you think would suit best ;) ).

By the way, would it be possible to add a caption also to the first four pictures you posted in the Fiori Hills thread?

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:32 pm

Thanks Zomp! This is great input. I'll see what I can do with it.

As far as captions (for the first 4 images) go, I'm not entirely sure I know what you mean. Are you talking about modifying the images in some way, or simply annotating them?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:43 pm

As far as captions (for the first 4 images) go, I'm not entirely sure I know what you mean. Are you talking about modifying the images in some way, or simply annotating them?
My mistake, sorry. I wanted to isolate each coat of arms, to be included in separate places of the master document, so saved your coats of arms as bitmap images by right-clicking on them. I just found that the resulting pictures lose the annotations below them (those which show which place/organization the coat of arms refer to). It is not a big issue, as I could screen-capture the whole page and then select the single coat of arms, do not worry about it. ;)

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:02 pm

LoZompatore wrote:
My mistake, sorry. I wanted to isolate each coat of arms, to be included in separate places of the master document, so saved your coats of arms as bitmap images by right-clicking on them. I just found that the resulting pictures lose the annotations below them (those which show which place/organization the coat of arms refer to). It is not a big issue, as I could screen-capture the whole page and then select the single coat of arms, do not worry about it. ;)
Oh, that's strange indeed. I thought the shield title at least was a part of the image. Anyway, if you've got it then no problem. Let me know if you want these things at some different resolution and I can regenerate them (with a bit of work).
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Return to “The Edge”