Ruler(s) of Refuge Point

We left our old worlds, each of us. This is it. We can't go any farther. This is The Edge.
LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Ruler(s) of Refuge Point

Post by LoZompatore » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:17 pm

Who are the rulers of Refuge Point?
I think it is a good question to be answered before this section will be published in the revised master document of the setting.

This is what we have so far:

- Refuge Pont was founded some 3500 yeas ago by colonists of Taltinis. The city is originally named Qal Tallon and it is ruled by Taltinians for the next 2000 years.
- About 1500 years ago the last Taltinian rulers of Qal Tallon are overthrown by a popular uprising. The last members of Taltinian aristocracy flee to the neighbouring island of Kelidra, where Taltinians still rule; here they survive for a couple of century more. It is likely that Qal Tallon is renamed Refuge Point after the uprising.
- About 1480-1440 years ago Refuge Point was ruled by a short-lived dynasty composed by the fool king Gevrimbaar I and by his son Wiribour the Bloody. The dynasty abruptly ends when an earthquake kills Wiribour in his palace.
- During the War of the High Seas, about 1186 years ago, the true ruler of Refuge Point is Admiral Gladriol, although power is nominally held by some other ruling body (or person). The admiral is exiled from the city following his defeat against the navy of Kelidra at the end of the War of the High Seas.
- The Steel Ogres conquered Refuge Point 531 years ago, following a short battle which exterminates most of the knightly nobility of the city. The ogres use the city as a military base from which sending invading armies in neighbouring lands. The military occupated city is under martial law for a few years. A shortage of ammunitions, spare parts and reinforcements and a popular uprising force the ogres to leave the city and retreat into a fortified valley.

Refuge Point government in present time is not defined yet. There are just a few references here and there about generic "rulers" who live in the top distric of the city (District A in Refuge Point maps, the same where the ancient Central Tower of Qal Tallon still stands). Any idea about the government type of the city? Any description for NPC Refuge Point rulers?

;)
Last edited by LoZompatore on Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Re: Ruler(s) of Refuge Point

Post by night_druid » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:38 pm

At the moment, probably a Council of the wealthiest and most influencial people in the city. Of course, the city undergoes regular changes in power, so the Council would be a recent (or recently restored) institution. I think a Council would be best because a) it can have more than one "ruler" (more people can contribute) and b) encourages all sorts of backstabbing & politicking that suck PCs into city adventures.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:45 pm

night_druid wrote:At the moment, probably a Council of the wealthiest and most influencial people in the city. Of course, the city undergoes regular changes in power, so the Council would be a recent (or recently restored) institution. I think a Council would be best because a) it can have more than one "ruler" (more people can contribute) and b) encourages all sorts of backstabbing & politicking that suck PCs into city adventures.
I like this idea as well. I think it makes sense that rulership of the city would not fall into a more traditional monarchy, especially since it seems that Refuge Point sees a lot of influx in it's population from outside the plane. I imagine that the balance of power could shift quite rapidly (and probably does so on a frequent basis) based on who gets blown in from the Aberrant Sea.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:55 pm

Chimpman wrote:I like this idea as well. I think it makes sense that rulership of the city would not fall into a more traditional monarchy, especially since it seems that Refuge Point sees a lot of influx in it's population from outside the plane. I imagine that the balance of power could shift quite rapidly (and probably does so on a frequent basis) based on who gets blown in from the Aberrant Sea.
Do note that I can imagine there being all sorts of "royalty" in the city; people who can trace their linage to any one of a dozen royal houses that have ruled the city in the distant past, but are now out of power. Probably more than a few with fancy titles (The Lost King, The Monarch in Exile, etc), some even on the Council. of course, nobody listens to them much...;)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Return to “The Edge”