[C&C] Creatures and Conversions

Discuss Troll Lord Game's rules set here.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

BoddynockStotch
Gnoll

[C&C] Creatures and Conversions

Post by BoddynockStotch » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:34 pm

I decided that since my current questions were answered and we were getting into monsters over general FAQ of Castles and Crusades. I figured this deserved its own thread.
BoddynockStotch wrote:
Ah well I halved it from the 3.5 entry on Spelljammer which put him at +12. However that does seem a little over a bit. I didn't think a giff was no more stronger then a minotaur so I might trim him to +2 strength.
rabindranath72 wrote:
There were 2e stats somewhere? At +6 it might get the strength of a cloud giant, which seems really out of proportion.
There are 2nd edition stats for Giff. I just don't have the monstrous compendium yet (still ordering.) I sort of forgot that the emphasis of stats is more to older D&D over 3.5 and figure maybe a +2 should work for a large hippoman?

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Re: [C&C] Creatures and Conversions

Post by rabindranath72 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:57 pm

I would say that +2 is right if not excessive. If you look at the 2e DMG, in the chapter on creating new races, it's suggested a +1 for large creatures, +2 for huge and +4 for gigantic.
EDIT: Ok, I checked the stats for the giff in the 2e Monstrous Manual, and it says that it's as strong as a hill giant, though it's a large creature. According to the above then, a +2 would be appropriate. Now that I think of it, I might revise the minotaur and half-ogre stats...

BoddynockStotch
Gnoll

Post by BoddynockStotch » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:17 am

Mmm I'll have to look at it. I do have a 2nd edition DMG (still need to buy the second other half of the monstrous compendium for Spelljammer.)

To recap over here.

Giff

RACIAL TRAITS AND ABILITIES
Tough Hide: Due to their muscles and thick skin, giff enjoy a +1 bonus to AC. This is cumulative with the bonus from armor and with the unarmored bonus of monks.
Headbutt Attack: A giff can make a natural headbutt attack 1d6 + strength bonus
Racial Firearm Proficiency: A giff is always proficient with any firearm classed weapon.
Darkvision
HULKING BRUTE: Giff are large creatures, which gives them the initiative advantage in combat (C&C PH p.115) and allows them to double their starting hit die (including the constitution modifier). They also enjoy a +4 bonus to their EV modifier. However, due to their size, armor and other garb cost 200% the normal price and they can only mount very large creatures, like war horses.

LANGUAGES: Giant, Common, Giff
SIZE: Large MOVEMENT: 30 feet
TYPICAL CLASSES: Fighter, Barbarian,
ATTRIBUTE MODIFIERS: +2 Strength, +1 Constitution, -1 Intelligence, -1 Charisma

I'm don't believe they have any buffs that would apply to being a ranger/assassin. Think the abilities are appropriate for a race of mercenaries who love guns?

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:24 am

The Complete Spacefarer's Handbook has the 2nd edition rules for Giff PCs. It lists the ability modifiers as +2 Str, -1 Int if that makes a difference to you.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
ImageImage

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:24 am

BoddynockStotch wrote:Mmm I'll have to look at it. I do have a 2nd edition DMG (still need to buy the second other half of the monstrous compendium for Spelljammer.)

To recap over here.

Giff

RACIAL TRAITS AND ABILITIES
Tough Hide: Due to their muscles and thick skin, giff enjoy a +1 bonus to AC. This is cumulative with the bonus from armor and with the unarmored bonus of monks.
Headbutt Attack: A giff can make a natural headbutt attack 1d6 + strength bonus
Racial Firearm Proficiency: A giff is always proficient with any firearm classed weapon.
Darkvision
HULKING BRUTE: Giff are large creatures, which gives them the initiative advantage in combat (C&C PH p.115) and allows them to double their starting hit die (including the constitution modifier). They also enjoy a +4 bonus to their EV modifier. However, due to their size, armor and other garb cost 200% the normal price and they can only mount very large creatures, like war horses.

LANGUAGES: Giant, Common, Giff
SIZE: Large MOVEMENT: 30 feet
TYPICAL CLASSES: Fighter, Barbarian,
ATTRIBUTE MODIFIERS: +2 Strength, +1 Constitution, -1 Intelligence, -1 Charisma

I'm don't believe they have any buffs that would apply to being a ranger/assassin. Think the abilities are appropriate for a race of mercenaries who love guns?
Seems nice. You might want to give a +1 to hit with one firearm type rather than wide proficiency, depending on how widespread are firearms in your campaign (just like elves can choose a +1 to hit with one type of bow or sword).

BoddynockStotch
Gnoll

Post by BoddynockStotch » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:20 pm

The guns are just starwheel pistol and arquebus. I'll make the change to my notes about a +1 choice to either gun.

BoddynockStotch
Gnoll

Post by BoddynockStotch » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:12 am

Out of curiosity Rab have you made any conversions to the creatures that Wizard's never released? Ala Beholder, Mindflayer, Kopru etc.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:11 pm

BoddynockStotch wrote:Out of curiosity Rab have you made any conversions to the creatures that Wizard's never released? Ala Beholder, Mindflayer, Kopru etc.
No, never tried. I have converted some Dragonlance critters though, perhaps I will post them later.

BoddynockStotch
Gnoll

Post by BoddynockStotch » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:55 pm

I'd like to see them when you can post them. I was figuring taking a little time to look over those aforementioned creatures and doing quick conversions of them.

BoddynockStotch
Gnoll

Post by BoddynockStotch » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:29 pm

Okay here this goes. I present, the Mind Flayer (Converted from 3.5 Monster Manual)

Mind Flayer - Medium Aberration
No. Encountered: Solitary, pair, Inquisition (3-5) or cult (3-5 plus 6-10 grimlocks)
Size: Medium
HD: 8 (d8)
Move: 30 ft.
AC: 15
Attacks: 4 tentacles (1d4+1)
Special: Mind Blast, Psionics, Grab, Extract
Saves: M
Int: High
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Treasure: 4
Xp: 844

Mind Blast: This psionic attack is a cone 60 feet long. Anyone caught in this cone must succeed on a Petrifaction save or be stunned for 3d4 rounds.

Psionics: At will powers- Charm Monster, Detect Thoughts, Levitate, Plane Shift, Suggestion. Effective caster level 8th

Grab: Whenever a Mind Flayer successfully attacks a character's head the tentacle can attempt a grab with a +2 bonus to grapple. If successfully the victim is held in place but can attempt to break off with a strength check. Every round the mind flayer can attempt to strike the victim with its other tentacles, each having to make a another grapple check to latch on.

Extract: When a mind flayer has four tentacles latched and succeeds on a grapple check it extracts the brains of that creature, killing it immediately. This ability does not work against constructs, elementals, oozes, plants, and undead. Its not instantly fatal to foes with multiple heads such as hydras and ettins.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:56 am

Very nice! I would perhaps change the save to a Charisma save, since in C&C Charisma describes will power more than Wisdom.

BoddynockStotch
Gnoll

Post by BoddynockStotch » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:25 pm

Well the mind blast does say it is petrifying which is covered in will. However I will note the spells at will. Charm, Suggestion. All of those would be charisma based saves.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:09 pm

BoddynockStotch wrote:Well the mind blast does say it is petrifying which is covered in will. However I will note the spells at will. Charm, Suggestion. All of those would be charisma based saves.
Hmm. I always thought this was an attack on the structure of the brain, rather than a true petrification effect. I figure that the illithid is attempting to induce a stroke or a fit or something along those lines.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

BoddynockStotch
Gnoll

Post by BoddynockStotch » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:37 am

And for my next trick. Everyone's favorite race of frog men. Kuo-Toa (I guess if you want to be OGL for your campaign, you could call them Frog Folk or Toadkind)

Kuo-Toa (Toadkind) - Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Aquatic)
Number Encountered: Patrol (2-4 plus 1 3rd-level cleric), squad (6-11, plus 1 or 2 3rd-level clerics, 1 or 2 4th-level wizards, and 1 8th-level fighter), band (20-50 plus 100% noncombatants plus 2 3rd-level clerics, 2 8th-level fighters, and 1 10th-level fighter), or tribe (40-400 plus 1 3rd-level cleric per 20 adults, 1 4th-level wizard, 4 8th-level fighters, 1 10th-level cleric, and 2 10th-level fighters)
HD: 2 (d8)
Move: 20 ft.; swim 50 ft.
AC: 16
Attacks: bite (1d4+1) weapon (weapon)
Special: Lightning bolt, adhesive, amphibious, immunity to poison and paralysis, keen sight, light blindness, resistance to electricity (half, save for quarter), slippery.
Saves: P (Physical)
Intelligence: H
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Treasure: 2
XP: 37

Lightning Bolt: Two or more kuo-toa clerics operating together can generate a stroke of lightning every 1d4 rounds. The clerics must joint hands to launch the bolt but need merely be within 30 feet of each other while it builds. The lightning bolt deals 1d6 points of electricity damage per cleric. Save for half is Dexterity with the Challenge level equaling the number of clerics involved.

Amphibious: Although kuo-toas breath by means of gills, they can survive indefinitely on land.

Keen Sight: Kuo-toas have such keen eyesight they can possibly spot anything moving. Even on the ethereal plane or invisible. Only by remaining absolutely still can one avoid being detected.

Light Blindness: Abrupt exposure to bright light blinds kuo-toas for 1 round. On subsequent rounds they are dazzled while under the bright light.

Slippery: Kuo-toas are immune to webbing both mundane or magical and receive a +4 bonus to AC against being grappled and +4 to wiggle from any snaring trap.

Adhesive: Kuo-toas use their own body oil and other materials to give their shields and almost flypaper finish, holding fast any item or creature touching them. Anyone would makes an unsuccessful melee attack must succeed on Dexterity check (CL +2) Or the attackers weapon is yanked from their hands and stuck to the Kuo-toa's shield. A character using a natural attack is subject to a grapple check. The kuo-toa require 1 hour and special materials costing 20 gp to coat a shield with the adhesive. The adhesive remains for up to three days or until something gets stuck. Pulling a limb or weapon requires a Strength (CL +2)
Last edited by BoddynockStotch on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:19 am

BoddynockStotch wrote:And for my next trick. Everyone's favorite race of frog men. Kuo-Toa (I guess if you want to be OGL for your campaign, you could call them Frog Folk or Toadkind)
Were Kuo-toa changed from fishmen to toadkind in 3rd/4th ed? o.O

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

BoddynockStotch
Gnoll

Post by BoddynockStotch » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:29 am

Actually no, they still keep the name of Kuo-toa. The OGL which is the bulk of the 3rd edition D&D rules is offered free, with some exception. The main one are monsters that TSR made themselves. Sort of like Mind Flayers or Kuo-toa. I'm not sure if they copy righted the creature (if that's possible.) Or just the name. Obviously me, a GM who isn't making money can take a few moments and convert said monsters and, perhaps hopefully, post them on a non-profit forum board of like minded folks and not get sued, but I figure a company who wants a frog like race or brain sucking squid heads is going to have to change the name maybe a bit of the look. (Not sure.)

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:31 am

BoddynockStotch wrote:Actually no, they still keep the name of Kuo-toa. The OGL which is the bulk of the 3rd edition D&D rules is offered free, with some exception. The main one are monsters that TSR made themselves. Sort of like Mind Flayers or Kuo-toa. I'm not sure if they copy righted the creature (if that's possible.) Or just the name. Obviously me, a GM who isn't making money can take a few moments and convert said monsters and, perhaps hopefully, post them on a non-profit forum board of like minded folks and not get sued, but I figure a company who wants a frog like race or brain sucking squid heads is going to have to change the name maybe a bit of the look. (Not sure.)
Oh, so you're changing them from fish men to toad men to keep it IP free? Makes sense now, sorry for the confusion!

Jeff
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

BoddynockStotch
Gnoll

Post by BoddynockStotch » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:50 am

Hey its no problem. Though, this might be from me owning only 3.5 were the Kuo-toa fish men to start with? From the look of the 3.5 Monster Manual they had the look of frogs or toads. See below

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:04 am

Here's the Kuo-toa image from the 2nd edition Monstrous Manual:

And here you can see the cover of The Shrine of the Kuo-Toa, the adventure that introduced them, I believe:
http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd1/d2.htm

Jeff

BoddynockStotch
Gnoll

Post by BoddynockStotch » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:31 am

They do indeed have a fishy appearance. Not sure the thought process of WotC. Also if I may just say, I love that website you linked to, I use it a lot to sort of keep track of the older edition stuff I'd like to get (like my Spelljammer stuff.)

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:45 pm

BoddynockStotch wrote:And for my next trick. Everyone's favorite race of frog men. Kuo-Toa (I guess if you want to be OGL for your campaign, you could call them Frog Folk or Toadkind)
SNIP
Nice design!
Just two notes:
1) usually the Challenge Level (CL) of a save is equal to the Hit Dice of the critter. So in the "Adhesive" ability I would simply mention that the save is Strength-based; the CL is implicitly 2.

2) You can simply report the CL of the save and the ability without writing the Challenge Base. So in the case of "lightning bolt" above you might simply specify that the save is dexterity based (CL=number of clerics).

BoddynockStotch
Gnoll

Post by BoddynockStotch » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:55 pm

I added that part in the notes and I edited the Kuo-toa entry above to reflect changes. Thanks Rab.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:06 pm

BoddynockStotch wrote:Actually no, they still keep the name of Kuo-toa. The OGL which is the bulk of the 3rd edition D&D rules is offered free, with some exception.
Hrm. Legally, you need to look at the SRD rather than the 3e rulebooks. You can not treat "the bulk of 3e" as free, as WotC have been careful to change the wording of most of the content.
BoddynockStotch wrote:The main one are monsters that TSR made themselves. Sort of like Mind Flayers or Kuo-toa. I'm not sure if they copy righted the creature (if that's possible.)
Hmm. Well, you can copyright your work, but you can't copyright an idea. Much of what TSR did was based on the work of other people. Mind Flayers are so similar to Cthulu, that they are obviously a rip off.
BoddynockStotch wrote:Or just the name. Obviously me, a GM who isn't making money can take a few moments and convert said monsters and, perhaps hopefully, post them on a non-profit forum board of like minded folks and not get sued, but I figure a company who wants a frog like race or brain sucking squid heads is going to have to change the name maybe a bit of the look. (Not sure.)
Or the company who wants to use TSR's property could actually request permission to make an OGL version (like the Complete Guide to Beholders):

David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

BoddynockStotch
Gnoll

Post by BoddynockStotch » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:37 pm

Then I stand corrected, but the 3rd edition Kuo-toa still looks more like a frog then a fish.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:10 pm

BoddynockStotch wrote:Then I stand corrected, but the 3rd edition Kuo-toa still looks more like a frog then a fish.
I agree; does the flavor text/ecology/society info say one way or the other?

They wouldn't be the first creature that got got reshuffled into a completely different order of life.

Jeff

Return to “Castles & Crusades”