Harvesters (C&C anthropomorphic game)

Discuss Troll Lord Game's rules set here.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

capitalbill
Hobgoblin

Harvesters (C&C anthropomorphic game)

Post by capitalbill » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:05 pm

I just finished reading through TLG’s Harvesters softcover book and I’m pretty impressed. It’s basically Castles & Crusades but with animals instead of humans and demi-humans. Obviously this kind of thing isn’t for everyone, but I can see fans of Redwall, Mistmantle, Watership Down, Mouse Guard, etc. going for it. I never really got into those books but I’ve eyed the Mouse Guard game several times but never pulled the trigger, mainly because I wasn’t sure about the system. Problem solved, I can now have that kind of a game with a rules set that I’m familiar with and like.

Harvesters seems to be pretty flexible and 100% compatible with the C&C Player’s Handbook; it looks like you could run several different kinds of game (an entry game for children, a straight up fantasy game, a Mouse Guard game, a Lankhmar mice versus rats sewer game, etc). The book provides seven classes: fighters, rangers, rogues, wizards, clerics, druids, and knights; and five races: badgers, mice, rabbits and hares, river otters, and squirrels. A condensed version of the C&C rules is included; while it looks like everything you really need to play is there, I think having the PHB as well would be best. A good selection of the most common critters (crows, foxes, beetles, bees, muskrats, raccoons, rats, snakes, hawks, skunks, toads, spiders, weasels, wolverines, etc) is provided, some just in stat blocks but most with full write-ups. Finally a small setting, Wheat Hollow, and a beginning adventure rounds out the book.

Now if I can just convince my regular C&C players to try out a badger knight, squirrel ranger, or mouse wizard. :D
The cheese stands alone...

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: Harvesters (C&C anthropomorphic game)

Post by Chimpman » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:27 pm

Oh man... if my daughter ever saw this one I'd never get her to play a normal game of D&D again. ;) Redwall is a big thing around my house!
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:50 pm

This is one of those RPG products that I might get just 'cause it's cute.

Although I keep thinking about the Harvesters charitable organization. Maybe squirrels are gathering canned goods for needy families.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:19 pm

This sounds like a great game to get kids into RPGs and as a family game! Or for some really light-hearted fun.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:54 am

Are these just animals that talk, or are they ones that stand on two legs and have opposable thumbs?

I can get the anthro-animal, kind-of game, but find it hard to work out how animals can do adventures if they can't carry or use anything.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:18 am

BM have you read any of the Redwall? They have opposable thumbs etc. More animal than anthro but upright and bipedal.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:25 am

Big Mac wrote:Are these just animals that talk, or are they ones that stand on two legs and have opposable thumbs?

I can get the anthro-animal, kind-of game, but find it hard to work out how animals can do adventures if they can't carry or use anything.
Yup, what Azaghal said. My daughter did just show me yesterday a mini-rpg game included in the back of her latest Warriors book (stories about cat clans). Those are the "animals that talk" type. I haven't read through it yet, but I'm interested to see how they handle it.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:02 am

Chimpman wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Are these just animals that talk, or are they ones that stand on two legs and have opposable thumbs?

Yup, what Azaghal said. My daughter did just show me yesterday a mini-rpg game included in the back of her latest Warriors book (stories about cat clans). Those are the "animals that talk" type. I haven't read through it yet, but I'm interested to see how they handle it.
I`ve played Bunnies and Burrows (FGU and Gurps) based on Watership Down, fun but I`d like to see how this works out as well. I read some of the early Redwall novels and have always liked the idea.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:20 am

Azaghal wrote:
Chimpman wrote:

I`ve played Bunnies and Burrows (FGU and Gurps) based on Watership Down, fun but I`d like to see how this works out as well. I read some of the early Redwall novels and have always liked the idea.
The Redwall books could easily form the basis of a campaign.
I didn't read all of them, but I passed on the first 4 or so to my son, so they're buried in his room somewhere.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:15 pm

I saw Harvesters at my FLGS, and flipped through it. Definitely ideal for kids, and similar in many ways to what I've been doing for my son. I think this is a great gateway game to get kids into the hobby.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:32 pm

TLG is have a sale on their games which caused me to think about purchasing Harvesters. That of course led me to look at their other products. I noticed that Crusaders Journal #24 has a Harvesters article. Are their other articles specific to the game? Any review of the article anywhere?

Do they accept submissions to Crusaders Journal? They don't seem to have writer's guidelines or anything on their web site.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
ImageImage

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:51 am

Good question. I contacted them with some adventure proposals for Harvesters, and they never got back to me.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Jorkens
Stone Giant

Post by Jorkens » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:13 pm

I liked this game, wasn't there plans for more supplements at one time?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:12 pm

Azaghal wrote:BM have you read any of the Redwall? They have opposable thumbs etc. More animal than anthro but upright and bipedal.
I don't know the Redwall either. But John P Seibel (Deogolf) lists it as recommended reading on his blog, called Wheat Hollow.
Dave L wrote:The Redwall books could easily form the basis of a campaign.
I didn't read all of them, but I passed on the first 4 or so to my son, so they're buried in his room somewhere.
How many Redwall novels are there? Has anyone ever made a Redwall RPG? Is the author still alive and writing more of them, or is this something from way back (like the Chronicles of Narnia) that I just managed to miss as a child?
dulsi wrote:I noticed that Crusaders Journal #24 has a Harvesters article. Are their other articles specific to the game? Any review of the article anywhere?
I guess that is the article that Deogolf mentions on his blog. :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:40 pm

*Puts on Children's Library Worker Hat - Yes that's where I work at*

There are 23 Redwall Books by author Brian Jacques (1939 - February 2, 2011 due to Heart Attack.) The first book, called Redwall appeared in 1986 and the last one by Jacques himself is Rogue Crew (2011.) Now I personally have read Redwall and it's sequel, along with two prequel novels (despite being released first in 1986, in the world chronology Redwall is number 10, 9 others form a prequels to the first book.)

From the four I read they were very well done- but usually consisted of the peaceful Abby of Redwall and it's woodlands surroundings. Badgers, mice, moles, and a few birds live peacefully until some evil army of rats or cats, a fox or two- come around to declare war and it's a job for heroes to rise and bring justice! There is a lot of swordplay, but nothing assort of any magic at work.
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Deogolf
Goblin

Post by Deogolf » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:38 pm

Hi Y'all!

Sorry I'm late to the party!! Keep stumbling across new places and search through the internet! I'm John Seibel, the author of Harvesters.

One thing about the name. It's supposed to be Wheat Hollow: The Havesters. But, I couldn't get Steve Chenault to put the whole name on there. Wheat Hollow is the village near where everything takes place in the first adventure, The Harvesters. I've seen Steve the MS for the next adventure and I'm hoping it sees the light of day some time soon; but, with there work schedule, it's a "wait-n-see" kind of thing. So, if you have any questions about anything, just let me know!!

Thanks for taking an interest in my game! I appreciate it!!

Deogolf
Goblin

Post by Deogolf » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:05 pm

Jorkens wrote:I liked this game, wasn't there plans for more supplements at one time?
Yes, there is!!

I just finished an adventure that takes place to the south of Wheat Hollow and expands on some of the areas that were discussed in the Crusader article. I'm also working on an adventure that takes place to the north of Wheat Hollow and expands those environs as well. Just about finished doing the initial writing on the Critters & Creatures book. This book will add quite a few more animals and other things that slink through the brush. It will have some stats for some of the animals if you want to use them as PCs.

As with anything with TLG, it takes forever and a day to get an answer from them; so unless you call them direct, you may never hear from them. Frustrating?! Yes!!

Deogolf
Goblin

Post by Deogolf » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:08 pm

dulsi wrote:TLG is have a sale on their games which caused me to think about purchasing Harvesters. That of course led me to look at their other products. I noticed that Crusaders Journal #24 has a Harvesters article. Are their other articles specific to the game? Any review of the article anywhere?

Do they accept submissions to Crusaders Journal? They don't seem to have writer's guidelines or anything on their web site.
Yes, that was the article I was alluding to. Unfortunately, they didn't put my name anywhere near the article. :roll:

Return to “Castles & Crusades”