Converted Class: The Soulknife

Discuss Troll Lord Game's rules set here.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Converted Class: The Soulknife

Post by Boddynock » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:31 pm

(This is a conversion I'm starting with the Psionic Class "Soulknife." There is already a psion class conversion floating out called The Book of the Mind which emulates 2nd edition Psionics that can be downloaded here http://johnwright281.tripod.com/sitebui ... e_mind.pdf So with psionics covered I wanted to do, what I think, is kind of a neat class in itself. The Soulknife. I'd appreciate any feed back, especially on experience tables.)

Soulknife
Role: Melee Striker
Prime Attribute: Charisma
Weapons: Soul Blade, Heavy/Light Mace, Dagger, Heavy/Light Crossbow, Quarterstaff, Sickle, Punching Dagger, Spear, Long Spear, Spear, Dart, Javelin, Sling, Gauntlet
Armor: Light with Shields (except for Tower Shields)

Background
In the metal poor areas of the world new techniques are developed to allow warriors the ability to fight. The monk of course is a perfect example of this warrior caste, able to use their body as a lethal weapon, sometimes combined with simple wrought items like quarter staffs to be just as deadly.
The Soulknife takes the concept further, not just using their bodies, but their psionically aware mind to literally forge weapons of energy. These blades forged of though spring from their hands, making them deadly opponents as a seemingly unarmed person could suddenly become armed and quite angry at any brigand who'd try to rob them.

Abilities

Draw Blade At 1st level the Soulknife summons raw psionic energy to form one of three blades. A short sword that can be manifested as a pair and fought in Florentine style (this style reduces the penalty to -1/-4 instead of -3/-6.) A longsword, or a Two-Handed sword that requires both hands to channel. Shorter characters can only use up to a longsword with both hands. This blade is drawn as a move action and can be sundered, the soulknife can redraw with another move action. Because of it's pure will energy in nature a Soul Knife uses his Charisma to modify attack and damage.

Throw Blade At 3rd level the soul knife can hurl his weapon with a range of 30 feet. If thrown the soulknife can re-draw his weapon as a move action next round. Charisma modifies a throw attack.

Blade Enhancement At 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, 20th levels the soulknife's blade is treated as a magically enhanced +1 weapon for each level (to a maximum +5 sword at 20th level.) A soulknife wishing to add other enhancements or metallic qualities can purchase special psi crystals or inks from merchants at standard magical prices.

Free Draw At 5th level the soul knife can draw a blade as a free action.

Extra Throw At 12th level the soulknife gains an extra throw attack with their weapon.

(Alright so that's my initials powers. I'm using Peter's Crusader Companions Class Construction to figure XP totals, I have a rough estimate that I'll post later, I'd like some opinions if these powers are enough or if I should stretch them out more. Thanks!)

-Boddynock
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Re: Converted Class: The Soulknife

Post by Boddynock » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:31 pm

You know, thinking about it now. I'm not so sure about a 'Soulknife' class. I was thinking instead of a magic weapon called the 'Ring of the Soulknife.' Or some other fighter ring that creates a blade for a fighter to fight with. Instead a full class you could just use a general fighter.

My Wattpad Profile

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:44 am

Frankly, the whole concept of a "psionic fighter" like the Soulknife is pretty lame to me; it doesn't vibe as a fantasy archetype, and I cannot "frame" it into any literary source. When I used the 3e psionics handbook I only allowed the Psion.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:21 pm

I'm on the ropes too. Just yesterday I sort of realized that, while I appreciated the 'variant classes' from the Companion I found I could probably get some of the same ideas from the core classes. That isn't Peter's fault as he just added classes he found online. It's what I feel about the Soulknife, might keep a magical ring that can produce a blade (wouldn't be the first time someone made a weapon out of energy like a moon blade.) But the class itself, I even dumped from my computer.

My Wattpad Profile

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:47 pm

Your idea of a ring just conjures up images of "I see your Schwartz is as big as mine" from Spaceballs.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
ImageImage

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:16 pm

"But let's see how you handle it!"

That is true, it certainly doesn't invoke a light saber. But hey, it might be a neat magic item even if it just conjures a blade rather than springs energy out.

My Wattpad Profile

Return to “Castles & Crusades”