Unofficial Errata for Harvesters

Discuss Troll Lord Game's rules set here.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

dulsi
Storm Giant

Unofficial Errata for Harvesters

Post by dulsi » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:31 pm

Errata:
pg2. From the first paragraph, "This game allows you to assume the role of any number of animal characters that populate the the village of Wheat Hollow." The second "the" between "populate" and "village" should be removed.
pg3. "The most common are d2 and d3, both of which can be made by rolling a d6 and dividing by 2 or 3 and dropping the fraction. To roll a d2 by using a six-sided die, the results 1-3 would be a score of 1, while 4-6 would equal 2." Should be: "The most common are d2 and d3, both of which can be made by rolling a d6 and dividing by 3 or 2 respectively. If there is a fraction, drop the fraction and add one to the number. For example when needing to roll a d2, Jen rolls a 4. 4 divided by 3 gives you 1 and 1/3. The result becomes a 2. So for any roll of six-sided die to simulate a d2, the results 1-3 would be a score of 1, while 4-6 would equal 2." (I'm not sure this good to even explain since it if this is meant for a younger audience. Probably best to just find what non standard rolls are used and list how to do them.)
pg6. The example of Hit Dice says a 5th level ranger has 5d12 hit points. Should be 5d10.
pg7. "Compound this with a ranger’s focus on a oe’s weaknesses, and it makes them a truly fearsome enemy." "oe's" is missing the f for "foe's".
pg8. Under Combat Marauder, it mentions humanoid at one point which should be vermin. It mentions giants as well which don't appear in the book.
pg10. The following should be removed since Harvesters only goes to 6th level. "at 9th level a back attack inflicts quadruple damage."
pg15. Says "An example of the typical virtues present in a knightly code of conduct appears below" but no example exists.
pg15. Says the knight starts with a riding horse but gives stats for a riding epihippus. Equipment chart on pg21 has both horse and epihippus. Equipment chart lists the different types of horses and epihippus as light and heavy not riding and war.
pg16. Demoralize includes "The number of creatures that can be affected increases as the knight gains levels" but that doesn't apply since the game only goes to level 6.
pg16. Includes the price of followers after the Demoralize ability but doesn't give any indication when you get followers or what they do.
pg17. John P. Seibel uses different speeds than those in the book. Full information can be found here. It seems that the badger would have a move of 6ft uses the scale in the book.
pg18. Mouse's move silently doesn't say if it is automatic or uses the rogue rules or something else. John P. Seibel says it should be "75% for natural abilitities."
pg22. Spell Resistance says "See page 26." This should be 27.
pg50. Crows have a type of Animal (bird) but should be just Bird.
pg53. Red-Winged Blackbirds have a type of Animal but should be Bird.

Unarmed combat suggestion from John P. Seibel:
"As for claws, I use the following rule: small critters (mice)(1d2/1d3), medium (rabbit/squirrel) (1d4/2d5), large (badger) (1d6/1d8) - the variance being for younger to adult."

Still need to look into:
Movement scale is meant to be Squirrel = Human and Mouse = Halfling from Castles and Crusades. This doesn't work since Halfling is not half the speed of a Halfling in Castles and Crusades.
Badgers have digging of 10'/rd. I assume that is in Castles and Crusades scale.
Rabbits have burst of speed which says 3x there average speed (120'/rd). Again I assume that is in Castles and Crusades scale.
How do animal spells work? Animal Friendship, Calm Animal, Invisibility to Animals, Animal Messenger, Speak with Animal, etc. Do they work on everyone? Should they be restricted to insects or something? Are there non intelligent animals? Should they just be removed?
Fly spell has a speed of 90. Castles and Crusades scale probably.
Coifs and helm have an AC bonus but don't appear to be counted when you calculate AC. I assume this is for some head targeting or something.
Why don't Weasels, Rats, Ferrets, etc have a type of Vermin? Seems odd to not have that spelled out.
Last edited by dulsi on Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
ImageImage

dulsi
Storm Giant

Re: Unofficial Errata for Harvesters

Post by dulsi » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:03 pm

pg29 wrote:NORMAL MOVEMENT: This is the movement listed in the racial and monster description section. In a single round, a character or monster can move their full movement but not attack or take a full round action, though they can draw weapons and do other simple actions.

JOG: In this case movement is doubled. The character is considered to be moving fast. As with normal movement, the character can take a half movement at the jog rate and attack but take no other full round action.
How am I supposed to parse this? Does this mean you can move half your normal move and attack? If you jog for twice your normal move and can jog at half speed and still attack, doesn't that effectively mean you move your normal speed and attack? I'm failing to see why they have the distinction between jog and normal move. (Actually I also fail to see the distinction between jog and run as well.)
ImageImage

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:13 pm

Questions I'd like to ask on the Troll Lord Games forum but can't because their captcha is difficult enough to read that I reached the maximum attempts for the time being.

What is the intended scale for Harvesters? Are characters human sized? Maybe this will be clear when I get to the Wheat Hollow adventure section. Probably not considering it has speeds that seem out of wack with base animal speeds. For example pg 41, the flying speed is listed as 60’ – 240’/round.

What is the damage of unarmed combat? What is the damage of badger's unarmed combat given the very sharp claws?

Is the badger's primal fury always active, usable a limited number of times a day, usable a limited number of rounds?

What about a mouse's move silently? Is that 100% success all the time? Even when running?

Does the rabbit's to hit bonus to unarmed combat every two levels add to his class's base to hit or replaces it?

This product really isn't standalone. I can't see someone playing this without Castles and Crusades or at least making a bunch of rulings on how things work.
ImageImage

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:49 pm

No idea. But I wouldn't hold my breath with errata from TLG. The most likely answer will be something along the lines of "it's a feature, not a bug" OR (another favourite of theirs) "invent on the spot who needs rules?" :evil: :roll:

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:41 pm

Movement scale is meant to be Squirrel = Human and Mouse = Halfling from Castles and Crusades. Castles and Crusades Quick Start has Human at 30' and Halfling at 20'. With Harvesters you have Squirrel at 6' and Mouse at 3'. So it is as clear as mud.

It is really sad to see games with such great promise that fail to fulfill.
ImageImage

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:52 pm

dulsi wrote: It is really sad to see games with such great promise that fail to fulfill.
+1. Good ideas in the wrong hands. :(

Deogolf
Goblin

Post by Deogolf » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:12 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:No idea. But I wouldn't hold my breath with errata from TLG. The most likely answer will be something along the lines of "it's a feature, not a bug" OR (another favourite of theirs) "invent on the spot who needs rules?" :evil: :roll:
A lot of these issues will be dealt with here: http://wheathollow.blogspot.com/

So, just fire any questions my way and I'll do my best to answer them.

To answer one question here - Yes, there was a big snafu with the rules that were used with the Havesters RPG. It was supposed to be a "Basic Rules Set" and not the stuff the put in there. Sigh.

Return to “Castles & Crusades”