Boddynock's Thread of Conversions and Oddities

Discuss Troll Lord Game's rules set here.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Boddynock's Thread of Conversions and Oddities

Post by Boddynock » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:45 pm

I decided to start contributing to Castles and Crusades thread here at the Piazza, namely because that's what I've been using for my own campaign. Plus the place seems a little empty, needs some sprucing up. So reposted from my personal blog, my version of the dreaded 'Minitaur'

The Minitaur

No Encounter: 1-4
Size: Small
HD: 5
Move: 20 ft
AC: 15
Attacks: Head Butt (1d4), Bite (1d3), or Weapon (+2 damage)
Special: Spell Like Abilities, Charm, Darkvision 60 ft., Natural Cunning
Saves: M
Int: High
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: Magical Creature

No one can fault halflings for trying to make a good thing out of a bad situation. Take the minitaur; the halfling response to the vile minotaur, it was a creation of several magicians working together in hopes of breeding a new bipedal bovine race, to supplant and the old world minotaurs with a little extra smarts over brawn, and a disposition away from evil towards good. The results, to halflings were a success, but it was a mixed bag.
The first were the lack of height, the halflings, being use to short creatures bred the minitaur to be wily but were unable to break the height barrier. So while minitaurs tend to be smarter and possess some magical ability, they lack the strength to face off with their brethren in straight combat. The escaped batches of minitaur now prefer to live alone or with couples, perfecting their magic and building their own mazes in secret.

Charm (Charisma Save): The minitaur, being an exact but small replica of the minotaur has the power of being too cute for adventurers. Especially those who like fur covered monsters you can lift up and squeeze. The minitaur plays this to the advantage by making their eyes appear wider, their fur softer, and adding a series of soft moos to to make their demeanor less threatening.

Spell Like Abilities: Sleep (2/day), Enhance Attribute - Strength (1/day), Invisibility (1/day), Dancing Lights (3/day)

Natural Cunning: A minitaur is immune to maze spells and gains a +2 when tracking a creature, this increases to +3 when within his own maze. Minitaur are at home in their dungeon like mazes and have a little bit of extra sense compared to their brutish cousins.
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Re: Boddynock's Thread of Conversions and Oddities

Post by Boddynock » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:01 pm

Well my next part is more of a question, rather than an immediate conversion- because I'm certain you were impressed by the quality of the Minitaur : D.

Anyway, firearms. I am a big fan of early firearms; muskets, pistols. I think they add flavor, not that they are suppose to dominate the game, but they add flavor. One of the things I love about Mystara is the possibility of a party that includes Lancelot, Gandalf, and halfling sized Jack Sparrow walking into a dungeon for some adventuring. However, wish the ways each class gets weapons assigned to it as per the rules of Castles and Crusades. I was curious which class would you give firearms too? All, Some (if so please name the classes, or if you use a lot give a broad view. Like if you only give them to fighters, and etc.)

I at first was using the 2nd edition Weapon Proficiency system of allowing classes to pick which weapons they want to be proficient with based on their slots, but I noticed a situation where, even with four slots a fighter can pick something like dagger, and a dagger-like poinard, and 'technically' be non-proficient suffering a -2 to their attacks. So, while I like the Non-Weapon Proficiency system to represent skills outside of their class for my characters, not sure about the weapons. So where would you distribute guns to, or is it across the board because of their ease of use?

My Wattpad Profile

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:07 am

Boddynock wrote:or is it across the board because of their ease of use?
This, definitely; if they are common in a campaign. In 3e terms they could probably be considered Simple weapons (though note that the 3.0 DMG p.162 has stats for smokepowder weapons and they are considered Exotic.)

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:17 pm

Good point, though that's an odd thing about 3e making it an 'exotic weapon.' Because it always seemed like how 'hard' it was use the weapon. I'll just make some changes to my player's sheets.

My Wattpad Profile

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:27 am

There was a pair of minitaurs in WG7 Castle Greyhawk. I got a huge laugh out of them. :)

Looking forward to seeing what all you come up with.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Race
Forsteri

Forsteri live amongst the icy rocks and tundra wastelands in generally the far poles of the world or in the inhospitable mountainsides. Their homes tend to be near water holes to allow the avian race to swim and catch their favorite meal, fish. Having only flippers instead of hands provides a challenge for defense on the surface against the threats on the surface and the predators below, such that the Forsteri tend to be gifted in magic and have access to psionic powers to communicate with the community, and especially their mates. Forsteri mate for life and are gifted at least to use telepathy, this is developed as they live in the shell in their parents den. A mate who senses the disconnect with his mate can react badly, by badly meaning a rage of magic attacks on anyone who is near. The forsteri are careful in their dealings with other races; trading in fishing services to fringe colonies or guiding travelers through the wastes. Their feathery body is sleek and is ideal for swimming and holding against the cold.

Description: Forsteri are halfling sized, flightless birds with black, yellow, and white feather covered bodies. They tend to have the high pitch of a gnome, with little black eyes that can see well in twilight but not in complete blackness.

Personality: Forsteri tend to be quiet and unassuming. Tales of more gregarious cousins from further realm, well they don't get around as much and the Forsteri like that. They prefer not to be bothered by outsiders, though will trade and offer help to those in needs. Adventurer forsteri tend to be either outcasts or young birds who wish to prove themselves before taking a life mate. They tend to be quiet, which can help them get along with the crew or be ignored.

Racial Traits

Swimming (Dexterity) Dohwar gain a +2 bonus to swimming and always treat this like a class skill (they always add class level to their strength check in swimming.) They are trained from birth to be great swimmers. They are aquatic with an aquatic dynamic body that they use dexterity instead of strength as their abilities attribute, their flippers help propel them through the water. They can also hold their breath up to their Constitution +1 rounds.

Weapon Restriction: Without true hands, a dohwar cannot use weapons. Most dohwar are content to being wizards or clerics, using their magic to protect them. Those who have had access to dwarven forgers have created a weapon known as the 'weega' a sharp, short sword, that fits on their beak and allows them to attack with pecks.

Life Mate: Once per day a dohwar can enter a trance and attempt to contact with their life mate. They will stand still with their eyes glistened as minds touch across the dreaming. As long as mates are on the same prime material plane they can accomplish this in any area, except in places where psychic bans have been placed. They can also feel a shock when they sense their mate dead; they can also sense if the death was peaceful or violent. In peace, they tend to become depressed for several days, even more withdrawn than before. If it is violent they can lash out anyone near them in a death rage, firing magical energy every which way.

Stats:
Languages: Common, Forsteri, Goblin, Orc
Size: Small
Movement: 20 feet land, 40 feet swim
Typical Classes: Wizard, Cleric, Druid
Attribute Modifiers: -3 Strength, +1 Wisdom, +2 Dexterity

p.s. Yes, this is my more general take on the dohwar, whom I never played in a Spelljammer game- but I would if I ever get the chance.

My Wattpad Profile

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:24 am

Sorry I haven't added much to the Oddities, haven't had a game to run and have been busy with real life to look at stuff to add. The Red Hills Project is also on-going, my own 12+ level megadungeon that is the staple of any DM, I think it's a law; etched in mithril tablets that you need your own megadungeon resting in your notes : ).

Anyway, before I post this next let me give credit to Peter. I really liked the Crusaders Companion, especially this part about Grey Elves; a variant race dealing in an ancient magical culture that has psionic, blood corruption, and elves. A nod to blood elves perhaps?
So I loved the the way psionics were presented there and decided to use them for my game, but open them to any player character. So thus, from the Crusader's Companion. Psionics, once from the elves, now for all of us to enjoy. This includes certain spells and abilities that were unlisted, all other spells can be found in the C&C core book.

PSIONICS: Psionics is the manifestation and manipulation of the aether around characters. It's their brain, their will, literally casting limited magic spells or using spell-like abilities on the world around them. Any character has potential to have psionic abilities and every level can roll to see if they can unlock these powers. Players must roll a d20 + charisma modifier and get a 20 to acquire Psionics. On a successful check the player rolls a d6 to determine how high their powers go, to a maximum of 5th level. A 6 on the first roll is rolled again, on a 2nd roll it unlocks another discipline the player has access to, that is the maximum a player can acquire. The disciplines are: Telepathy, Telekinesis, Clairvoyance, Pyrokinesis

Psionic Powers: All abilities are cumulative.
Level 1: (Abilities gained at character level 2)
Telepathy: Ability to use detect alignment at will, can attempt to detect
thoughts or discern lies if in physical contact with individual (they get a
charisma saving throw). Can telepathically communicate if in physical contact
with a willing individual.
Telekinesis: Ability to move five pounds at will, as mage hand. Can, once per day, slow falling as a feather fall spell.
Clairvoyance: Ability to attempt psychometry once per day, +1 to Initiative
checks.
Pyrokinesis: Can use burning hands a number of times per day equal to
1+Charisma mod.

Level 2: (Abilities gained at character level 5)
Telepathy: Ability to detect thoughts and discern lies at a distance, can cast
charm person at will. (Individual gets a charisma saving throw, can only be
attempted 1/day on a specific target) Can telepathically communicate with
willing individual at 100 feet distance, or unwilling person within arm’s reach.
Telekinesis: Ability to move ten pounds at will. Can cast feather fall at will.
Can create a telekinetic shield a number of times per day equal to 1+ Charisma
modifier which acts as armor.
Clairvoyance: Can attempt psychometry at will, can use augury and status a
several times per day equal to Charisma modifier.
Pyrokinesis: Can use pyrotechnics a number of times equal to 1+Charisma
modifier per day. Can use continual flame at will.

Level 3: (Abilities gained at character level 8)
Telepathy: Ability to cast hypnotic pattern once per day, and cast suggestion or
hold person a number of times per day equal to 1+Charisma modifier. Can
telepathically communicate with willing individual at half a mile distance, and
communicate with unwilling individual at half that distance.
Telekinesis: Ability to move twenty pounds at will. Can cast fly once per day.
Clairvoyance: Can cast divination and scrying a number of times per day equal
to 1+ Charisma modifier.
Pyrokinesis: Can use fireball 1+Cha modifier times per day.

Level 4: (Abilities gained at character level 11)
Telepathy: Ability to cast sleep on one creature of any hit dice a number of
times per day equal to 1+Charisma modifier. Ability to attempt to pry
knowledge or memory out of unwilling subject’s mind within 10 feet once per
day.
Telekinesis: Ability to move fifty pounds at will. Can cast telekinesis once per
day, and fly 1+Charisma modifier times per day.
Clairvoyance: Can cast true seeing once per day, and detect scrying at will.
Pyrokinesis: Can cast wall of fire once per day, can use burning hands at will.

Level 5: (Abilities gained at character level 14)
Telepathy: Ability to cast charm monster and hold monster a number of times
per day equal to 1+Charisma modifier. Can charm person at will. Telepathic
communication with willing individual within 100 miles. All telepathic abilities
can take place within 100 feet.
Telekinesis: Can cast telekinesis 1+Charisma modifier times per day, and
create a blade barrier once per day.
Clairvoyance: Can cast find the path, greater scrying and sequester once per
day.
Pyrokinesis: Can cast delayed blast fireball once per day. Can use wall of fire
1+Cha modifier times per day.

Level 6: (Abilities gained at character level 17)
Telepathy: Can cast geas once per day, and feeblemind 1+Charisma modifier
time per day. Can cast mental domination once per day. All telepathy can take
place within one mile, simple communication anywhere within 100 miles.
Telekinesis: Can cast telekinesis at will.
Clairvoyance: Receive prophetic dreams every night. Can cast foresight once
per day.
Pyrokinesis: Can cast fire storm once per day.

Psionic Special Abilities - Expanded

Armor
Level: Wiz 1, Ill 1
Range: Touch
Components: V,S,M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 1 round
Area of Effect: 1 creature
Saving Throw: None

By means of this spell, the wizard creates a magical field of force that serves as if it were ring mail armor (AC 4). The spell has no effect on a person already armored or a creature with AC 4 or better. It is not cumulative with the shield spell, but it is cumulative with Dexterity and, in the case of fighter/mages, with the shield bonus. The armor spell does not hinder movement, adds no weight or encumbrance, nor does it prevent spellcasting. It lasts until successfully dispelled or until the wearer sustains cumulative damage totaling greater than 8 points +1 per level of the caster. (It is important to note that the armor does not absorb this damage. The armor merely grants an AC of 4; the wearer still suffers full damage from any successful attack.) Thus, there wearer might suffer 8 points from an attack, then several minutes later sustain an additional 1 point of damage. Unless the spell were cast by a wizard of 2nd level or higher, it would be dispelled at this time. Until it is dispelled, the armor spell grants the wearer full benefits of the Armor Class gained.
The material component is a piece of finely cured leather that has been blessed by a cleric.

Psychometry (Charisma)
Modifier: -2

A character reaches out with psionic energy on an object to detect thoughts and impression of where it had been used. Who used it last and for what purpose. The mind, perhaps even the name of a murderer might be detected as the psionically gifted used their powers to look into the dagger's past. User should beware, a natural 1 results in false impressions or memories of the weapon as magic can always go a little haywire.

Status
Level: Clr 2
Components: V,S
Duration: 1/hour per level
Casting Time: 1 round
Area of Effect: 1 creature
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)

When you need to keep track of comrades who may get separated, status allows you to mentally monitor their relative positions and general condition. You are aware of direction and distance to the creatures and any conditions affecting them: unharmed, wounded, disabled, staggered, unconscious, dying, nauseated, panicked, stunned, poisoned, diseased, confused, or the like. Once the spell has been cast upon the subjects, the distance between them and the caster does not affect the spell as long as they are on the same plane of existence. If a subject leaves the plane, or if it dies, the spell ceases to function for it.

Foresight
Level: Wiz 9, Ill 9
Components: V, S, M
Duration: 2d4 + 1 round/level
Casting Time: 1 Round
Area of Effect: Special
Saving Throw: None

This spell grants the caster a powerful sixth sense in relation to himself or another. Although cast upon himself, the wizard can specify that he or another creature is the beneficiary of the spell. Once the spell is cast, the wizard receives instantaneous warnings of impending danger or harm to the object of the spell.
Thus, if he were the object of the spell, the wizard would be warned in advance if a thief were about to attempt to backstab him, or if a creature were about to leap out from an unexpected direction, or if an attacker were specifically targeting him with a spell or missile weapon. When the warnings are about him personally, the wizard cannot be surprised and always knows the direction from which any attack on him is made.
In addition, the spell gives the wizard a general idea of what action he might take to best protect himself- duck, jump right, close his eyes, etc. -and gives him a defensive bonus of +2 to his Armor Class. When another is the object of the spell, the wizard receives warnings about that person. He must still communicate this to the other to negate any surprise. Shouting a warning, yanking the person back, even telepathically communicating through a crystal ball can all be accomplished before the trap is sprung- if the wizard does not hesitate. The object of the spell does not gain the defensive bonus to his Armor Class, however.
The material component for this spell is a hummingbird's feather.

My Wattpad Profile

Volomyre
Goblin

Post by Volomyre » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:52 pm

More?
More!
Feeeeed me Seymour!

P.S. Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Castles & Crusades”