Classes for Dark Dungeons

Old School Revival at its best?

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

TheHobgoblin
Goblin

Classes for Dark Dungeons

Post by TheHobgoblin » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:40 pm

Last year I decided to have some fun creating some more demi-human classes for Dark Dungeons:
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=8873

I put together Gnomes, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Kobolds and Orcs.

I was thinking about giving it another go, but I don't want to spend time working on classes others have already created. So, before I try them out, I would like to know if anyone has done the following classes already:

Assassin
Barbarian/Berserker
Bard
Druid (from level 1)
Paladin (from level 1)
Ranger
Shaman
Sorcerer
Swordmage
Warlord/Tactician
Witch/Warlock

I am sure that at least half of them have already been done. If so, maybe links to them would be helpful.
Also, although I didn't include the Psion in the list of classes I would consider doing, if that one has already been done, a link to it would be nice too. I just never understood the class well enough to attempt it.

Whatever is left, I'll take a shot at creating.

rremedio
Orc

Re: Classes for Dark Dungeons

Post by rremedio » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Take a look at Darker Dungeons.

You can quickly convert the Druid class from Darker Dungeons to Dark Dungeons. Maybe the Magic User from Darker Dungeons could be a good base for your Swordmage (the Darker Dungeons magic user is very similar to the Dark Dungeons elf, but without the racial abilities) and the Mountebank for your Bard.

Blacky the Blackball
White Dragon

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:50 pm

As rremedio says, the Darker Dungeons classes should be very easy to port over. The only bits that would need conversion would be their saves and their hit points, and in each case you can simply compare them with the classes that have been ported from Dark Dungeons to Darker Dungeons to see what they should be in Dark Dungeons terms.

I don't know of any resources for other classes, though.
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

TheHobgoblin
Goblin

Post by TheHobgoblin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:47 pm

So it looks like more or less Druid, Swordmage and Bard were done... the Bard's experience per level seems too low for what they can do. It kind of kept too much of the Thief's stuff and got too great of a boon in exchange to have the same experience table. Also, it looks like this version of the Bard lost its unique spell list with focus on illusion and party enhancement. Still-- it roughly exists.

Paladin and Ranger exist, although they only do so as something fighters turn into at 9th level.

But nothing for Assassin, Berserker, Shaman, Sorcerer, Tactician or Witch?
Actually, the Druid appears to be roughly the same as a Shaman would be since it can't polymorph at will or anything. I guess that one can be skipped.

rremedio
Orc

Post by rremedio » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:51 pm

Sometime ago I've downloaded, but never tested this file: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/9 ... -Expansion which has a Bard class along with an Illusionist spell list and some other classes for B/X. You probably just need to add Weapon Feat and Skill values to the tables.

For the other classes, I'm sure I've seem B/X versions for most of them too, but I can't remember where. I've just found this Ranger: http://breeyark.org/node/111 but it's not for my liking. Maybe if you ask in the Classic D&D forum, people will be able to point you some resources.

One question: I see that several games have a Barbarian class or kit, but I always treated Barbarians as Fighters in my games. What is the usual differences between them?

TheHobgoblin
Goblin

Post by TheHobgoblin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:13 am

Well, a Barbarian has worse access to armor, but gets higher hit points, faster movement and traditionally temporarily boost their damage output and continue to fight for a bit longer than they normally would. When I created the PC version of the Orc, I basically made the Barbarian class right there. Only they get heat vision too.

A Warlord/Tactician/Noble type class would present an interesting challenge as it would be creating a cleric that doesn't use spell slots. The trick would be to not make it too complicated.

An Assassin would basically just be a Rogue with better weapons and some of its skills removed.

A Warlock/Witch would basically just be a Magic-User with a different spell list (maybe limited to only evocation and summoning spells) and perhaps some sort of ability to place a curse on an enemy.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:03 pm

TheHobgoblin wrote:Well, a Barbarian has worse access to armor, but gets higher hit points, faster movement and traditionally temporarily boost their damage output and continue to fight for a bit longer than they normally would. When I created the PC version of the Orc, I basically made the Barbarian class right there. Only they get heat vision too.
I am working on some BECMI Homebrew classes over at the Comeback Inn. I posted a Barbarian class there. Given the similarities between BECMI and DD they should be easy to translate?
A Warlord/Tactician/Noble type class would present an interesting challenge as it would be creating a cleric that doesn't use spell slots. The trick would be to not make it too complicated.
I am toying with a Warlord class for the project above as well. My idea was to have the class be able to bestow the equivalent of a Bless Spell on the party a certain number of times per day based on his level. Just an idea. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Blacky the Blackball
White Dragon

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:17 pm

TheHobgoblin wrote:So it looks like more or less Druid, Swordmage and Bard were done... the Bard's experience per level seems too low for what they can do. It kind of kept too much of the Thief's stuff and got too great of a boon in exchange to have the same experience table.
The big thing it lost was the backstab ability. That's a huge loss to their combat capability, that the spell casting can't quite make up for (because they're casting at much lower level than normal).
Also, it looks like this version of the Bard lost its unique spell list with focus on illusion and party enhancement. Still-- it roughly exists.
To be fair, it isn't supposed to be a bard. It's supposed to be a jack-of-all-trades with a bit of fighting and a bit of magic. While that's slightly similar to what a bard does it isn't exactly the same thing.
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

rremedio
Orc

Post by rremedio » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:46 pm

Blacky the Blackball wrote:To be fair, it isn't supposed to be a bard. It's supposed to be a jack-of-all-trades with a bit of fighting and a bit of magic. While that's slightly similar to what a bard does it isn't exactly the same thing.
Yes, I've suggested the Mountebank as a base because of the description of a charismatic class which sometimes are dishonest charlatans and because of the magic + thief skills. One can even play it as a bard (not the class, but the profession) but surely the Bard class is a bit more specific.
TheHobgoblin wrote:Well, a Barbarian has worse access to armor, but gets higher hit points, faster movement and traditionally temporarily boost their damage output and continue to fight for a bit longer than they normally would. When I created the PC version of the Orc, I basically made the Barbarian class right there. Only they get heat vision too.

An Assassin would basically just be a Rogue with better weapons and some of its skills removed.

A Warlock/Witch would basically just be a Magic-User with a different spell list (maybe limited to only evocation and summoning spells) and perhaps some sort of ability to place a curse on an enemy.
Thank you. BTW I think that for new spellcasting classes (Necromancers, Warlocks, Sorcerers, etc), new spell lists are the way to go. But the hardest part is to create new spells (well, it always was for me).

I've read your humanoid classes in the other thread and I like your rationalization around them. Maybe you should add the bits talking about the classes behaviors in the class descriptions so the classes would look more complete.

TheHobgoblin
Goblin

Post by TheHobgoblin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:28 pm

+
Havard wrote:I am toying with a Warlord class for the project above as well. My idea was to have the class be able to bestow the equivalent of a Bless Spell on the party a certain number of times per day based on his level. Just an idea. :)
-Havard
Here is what I can come up with...
Experience progression of the Cleric
Hit Points of the Cleric
BAB progression of the Magic User
weapon feats of the Cleric
the saves of the Fighters
chain or worse armor with shields and any weapons.

At level 3 they gain an aura that increases the attack and damage of melee attacks and morale checks of all allies (including themselves) within 20' by 1 and lowers their armor class by 1.
The bonus increases to +2/-1 at level 6 then +3/-2 at level 9, +4/-2 at level 12 and continues that pattern of increasing attack and damage every 3 levels and armor class every 6 levels until level 36 when it gets to +10/-5.

The class attribute requirements could be Charisma and Intelligence of 9+ with a 5% bonus if Charisma or Intelligence is 13+ and a 10% experience bonus if both are 13+.

TheHobgoblin
Goblin

Post by TheHobgoblin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:50 pm

Spell list for the Witch/Warlock isn't as creative I think...

Experience Chart - Like Magic User
Hit Dice - Same as Magic User
BAB - Same as Magic User
Saving Throws - Same as Cleric
Spells per Day - Same as Magic User
Weapons and Armor - Same as Magic User.

The class casts spells in the way a Cleric cast spells rather than a magic user. There is no need for a spellbook and they don't have to prepare their spells, but they must spend time meditating and conversing with the dark spirits that give them their magic. Their spell list is as follows:

Level 1 - Cause Light Wounds, Charm Person, Darkness, Detect Magic, Sleep, Terror
Level 2 - Blight, Entangle, Hold Person, Levitate, Obscure, Snake Charm
Level 3 - Charm Monster, Continual Darkness, Cause Disease, Curse, Fly, Slow
Level 4 - Confusion, Cause Serious Wounds, Massmorph, Polymorph Other, Sticks to Snakes, Summon Imps (creates small demons who won't fight, but can do other tasks)
Level 5 - Cause Critical Wounds, Contact Outer Plane, Feeblemind, Hold Monster, Finger of Death, Quest
Level 6 - Babble, Death Spell, Disintegrate, Flesh to Stone, Geas, Summon Minor Demons (creates 1-3HD demons)
Level 7 - Creeping Doom, Energy Drain, Obliterate, Powerword Stun, Summon Demon (like Summon Elemental, but creates a 16HD Demon), Weather Control
Level 8 - Mass Charm, Open Mind, Permanance, Polymorph Any Object, Powerword Blind, Symbol
Level 9 - Maze, Powerword Kill, Shapechange, Summon Greater Demon (like "create any monster" but only creates demons), Survival, Wish

Note that they may not reverse any of their spells.

In addition, the class can use a Minor Curse spell which is like a level 0 spell. They can use it a number of times a day equal to their level to a maximum of 9. Minor Curse would give a single target a penalty to all attacks, damage and saving throws of -1 for 1d6 turns.

I notice that spell lists for Shamans and Sorcerers, though the Shamans could probably use another 2 spells per level I think.
They also go only level 1-6. They don't have proper classes in the book though.

Return to “Dark Dungeons”