New Monsters

Old School Revival at its best?

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Peter
Gnoll

New Monsters

Post by Peter » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:13 am

I'm creating this thread to hold new monster conversion I've done. They are all public domain except the terms and names that are owned by WOTC.
By my count there are 744 monsters not in Dark Dungeons, although I could be off by a few. 17 of which can be found in The Tome of Horrors, 22 of which can be found in Labyrinth Lord, and 84 of which can be found in Creatures from Unknown Lands. The remaining is what I'll be sporadically working on.
Last edited by Peter on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter
Gnoll

Re: New Monsters

Post by Peter » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:14 am

Haunt (Lesser)
Type: Undead
Habitat: Any (Very Rare)
Wandering Group: 1-2 (Nil)
Lair Group: 1-2 (E, N, O)
Move: Nil
Armor Class: Not applicable
Hit Dice: Not applicable
Attack Bonus: Not applicable
Attacks: Fear
vs Death/Poison: Special
vs Wand: Special
vs Paralyze/Petrify: Special
vs Dragon Breath: Special
vs Rod/Staff/Spell: Special
Alignment: Any
Intelligence: 10
Morale: Not applicable
XP Value: 100 (see below)

A lesser haunt is a ghostly spirit of a creature that is unable to rest do to an unfinished task and is bound to a particular location. The location tends to be an area where the creature died.

Lesser haunts cannot be killed, they must be laid to rest by conditions decided by the GM. XP is only awarded to characters if they helped the lesser haunt fulfill these conditions.

Lesser haunts cannot attack or inflict any damage. Characters who encounter the lesser haunt must make a save vs Spells or run in fear, never to willingly return to the location again.

PelinoreRevived
Lurker Above

Post by PelinoreRevived » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:54 am

This is a great initiative. Have you already got an index of the monsters that you're going to convert? I have a few that I'm going to do for my Pelinore Adventure Fanzine that were originally presented in Imagine Magazine and Game Master Publications.
PelinoreRevived, the artist formerly known as KneverwinterKnight

Peter
Gnoll

Post by Peter » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:16 pm

Yes I do, although I am currently rechecking books to see if I missed anything. Here is a link to the index.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4a4t3o5eyup6 ... ndexes.xls

PelinoreRevived
Lurker Above

Post by PelinoreRevived » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:31 pm

That's a lot of work ;)

I see that you have some monsters from Imagine #19, would you like me to catalogue the remainder from Imagine and GMPubs?
PelinoreRevived, the artist formerly known as KneverwinterKnight

Peter
Gnoll

Post by Peter » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:00 pm

Yes to Imagine, no to GMPubs. Reason being, the GMPubs are not published by TSR. If I did unofficial material, I'd never be done.

Peter
Gnoll

Post by Peter » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Haunt (Bhut)
Type: Undead
Habitat: Any (Rare)
Wandering Group: 2d4 (Nil)
Lair Group: 2d4 (A)
Move: 120’ (Fly: 40’)
Armour Class: 4
Hit Dice: 7+2** (33hp)
Attack Bonus: +8
Attacks: Claw (1d4) & Claw (1d4) & Bite (1d6+special)
vs Death/Poison: 7
vs Wand: 8
vs Paralyse/Petrify: 9
vs Dragon Breath: 10
vs Rod/Staff/Spell: 11
Alignment: Chaotic
Intelligence: 12
Morale: 10
XP Value: 1,500

A bhut is an undead spirit that has died a violent death or have been denied funeral rites. Bhuts have wild hair, claws, long sharp teeth, and backwards feet. When walking, the bhuts feet never touch the ground, they float about a centimeter from it. Bhuts eat human and demihuman flesh. They prefer to reside in abandoned locations near or in human or demihuman settlements, as to be closer to their prey.

A bhut can assume the form of any animal at will. They look exactly like the animal of their choice except the feet on the bhuts new form are still backwards. The bhuts attributes do not change when assuming this new form.

Bhuts attack with their claws and bite. Their teeth are freezing cold, and cause the bitten victim to roll a save vs Paralysis or be numbed for 1d4. While numbed the victim always looses initiative and suffers a -2 to all attack rolls.

Peter
Gnoll

Post by Peter » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:35 pm

Bird of Prey
Type: Animal
Habitat: Any (Common)
Wandering Group: 1 (Nil)
Lair Group: 1d6 (Nil)
Move: 5' (Fly 60')
AC: 8
HD: 1d4 hp
Attacks: Claw (1d2) & Claw (1d2) or Bite (1d4)
vs Death/Poison: 14
vs Wand: 15
vs Paralyse/Petrify: 16
vs Dragon Breath: 17
vs Rod/Staff/Spell: 17
Alignment: Neutral
Int: 2
Morale: 7
XP Value: 5

Birds of prey, or raptors, are hunting birds that feed on other animals. They have keen vision that allows them to spot prey from a great distance. Birds of prey tend to build their nests in lofty areas, such as near a mountain top or up in a very large tree top. Buzzards, falcons, harriers, hawks, eagles, kites, osprey, owls, and vultures are all considered birds of prey. When either themselves or their nest is threatened, birds of prey will attack with their powerfull talons or beaks. If injured, they will retreat.

Return to “Dark Dungeons”