Hello! New to the "old" system

Old School Revival at its best?

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Xeta
Kobold

Hello! New to the "old" system

Post by Xeta » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:05 pm

Hello! I am an experienced version 3.5 player and 4e player and DM. However, I've been sorely disappointed by the amount of character planning that 4e requires and how god awful time consuming the combat can be. A group of 5 new players took TWO HOURS to kill a single group of 5 level 1 enemies. There are just too many powers, rules, and options to look over for a CASUAL player.

I've been searching very hard to find a simpler system. It would appear that Dark(er) Dungeons could be a great fit. I've read through both the Dark and Darker PDFs. In fact, I have a copy of Darker Dungeons in the mail. I decided on the Darker version as I liked the consistency of the dice sizes and rolls. But I am stuck on a few things.

1.- Do magical items give XP when they are acquired? The book says they do NOT give XP for selling them, but it isn't clear on if they give XP when they are found. If so, do I have to calculate the item value every time?

2.- Do I give XP for the treasure's book value or the value that the players actually end up selling the stuff for (magic items excluded, obviously)?

3.- Would you consider the magic spell training and the weapon master training a necessary gold sink? I'm thinking of leaving those out for our first game just to keep things simple.

4.- If the hireling participates in the fight, he takes a share of the XP, right? Are there hirelings that don't? Like someone to carry gear?

5.- I've not played the old system before. Any other tips for someone that has a "newer version" frame of mind?

Sock Puppet
Troll

Re: Hello! New to the "old" system

Post by Sock Puppet » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:26 pm

1 - Magic items never give xp in DD -- only killing monsters and finding gold/gems/jewellery. Their primary value is in the force multiplier they represent, not their monetary value.

2 - I'd go by book value. That way, you avoid any economy loopholes that might exist, and avoid playing games of merchants and spreadsheets.

3 - Personally, I'd use them.

4 - If the hireling contributes to a fight (even if just carrying a lantern or handing ammunition to a PC), he counts. If all he was doing was guarding horses, carrying food supplies, and generally being a target, no.

5 - don't forget to have fun.
I am Ashtagon's sock puppet account.

Xeta
Kobold

Post by Xeta » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:00 pm

Thank you! I'm sure we will have fun. I'm more worried about capturing the feel of a basic DND game session. I've never been part of one and have only really been exposed to 3.5 and 4e.

I've been reading other threads and session reports about basic DND game sessions. I'm fascinated at how large a portion of the dungeon is represented by traps and puzzles. I really like the idea. Any other resources that might help with presenting ideas for traps and puzzles?

I'm also wondering about non-hostile monster reactions. I like the idea, but am coming up short on possible monster reactions other than mutually avoiding each other, fighting, or running away. What are some more common situations that would come up?

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:18 am

Xeta wrote:I'm also wondering about non-hostile monster reactions. I like the idea, but am coming up short on possible monster reactions other than mutually avoiding each other, fighting, or running away. What are some more common situations that would come up?
Just think of it as if the monsters ARE human. They have needs. So monsters, mostly humanoid monsters, may barter, buy or sell items, sell services, if they are approached properly and don't feel threatened.

Return to “Dark Dungeons”