Just Got DD, Looking to Solo Play Soon

Old School Revival at its best?

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

THAC0
Goblin

Just Got DD, Looking to Solo Play Soon

Post by THAC0 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:12 pm

As a player and occasional game master I have always had a fondness for D&D style games and their idiosyncracies. When I went on an OSR binge and decided which books I would actually print and play the two I decided on were OSRIC and Dark Dungeons. I really lik the DD art, and I am going to run a solo game using Mythic fairly soon. I noticed someone posted here a couple of years ago about doing the same thing!

Blacky the Blackball
White Dragon

Re: Just Got DD, Looking to Solo Play Soon

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:07 am

Welcome to The Piazza!

Out of curiosity, what is this "Mythic" thing that you're thinking of using?
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:55 am

I'm guessing that is Pathfinder Mythic.. I'd be interested to see how a solo game works. Can it be combined with DD?

THAC0
Goblin

Post by THAC0 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:46 pm

Mythic is a chart-based ranking system that uses percentile dice, and has options to be used as a GM emulator. Its a universal system like Marvel Super Heroes, but it has plot driving and chaos elements for storylines as well as a high degree of compatibility (you can use D&D like I did last night, and just use Mythic to drive plot and environment generation). It was quite fun, I use Mythic in a lot of my games and I recommend looking up the PDF on RPG Now I believe...or maybe RPGDriveThru. Anyway, its a great system and while GMless play requires some imagination if you can be fair and get the hang oif it it isn't too much like cheating or total randomness ala AD&D random dungeons.

THAC0
Goblin

Post by THAC0 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:47 pm

The game itself was a lot of fun, I was trying to go slow and make sure I was playing the game 'as intended' for the purposes of seeing how that worked out. I played a thief called in to help a cleric friend out...ended up dodging a snake to steal a senile old crippled wizard's spellbooks while my partner tried (unsuccessfuly) to keep a halfling mob from lynching said wizard. Rocked. Might play some more!

andystandfield
Kobold

Post by andystandfield » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:24 am

Cool!

I have Mythic and Mythic GM Emulator, but haven't used them yet. Glad to hear it actually works this well.

And for those who don't know… this is what we're talking about: The system: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1 ... ythic&it=1 and the GM Emulator which can be used for any system: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/2 ... =s_pi&it=1

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:25 am

I love the idea of a GM similator. How about a GM Simulator that is designed specifically for DD? :)

*looks at Blacky* ;)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Dark Dungeons”