Adventure Path for Dark Dungeons

Old School Revival at its best?

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Zurunir
Goblin

Adventure Path for Dark Dungeons

Post by Zurunir » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:58 pm

Howdy, folks. Just a few minutes ago, I got a great idea. How about we create an Adventure Path for Dark Dungeons? Is anybody interested in working together with me in creating one?

If so, let's start with the basics:

1) The Adventure Path starts at Level 1 and carries the characters right to about level 30: That is, to a point by when the PCs can start their quests for Immortality.

2) We utilize the "official" Dark Dungeons rules. In other words, no Half-Elves, Kender, Thieflings, Half-Orcs and so on; The Immortals exist, yet the gods deither don't exist or are merely masks worn by the Immortals; Magic-users can't use armor or swords; Elves are always Fighter/Magic-Users Dwarves are always Fighters, and there are no Halfling-Thives.

3) We *can* add custom classes (such as Rangers, Bards or Illusionists). But we would add them only if absolutely necessary and keep such "add-ons" to a minimum.

4) However, that rule doesn't in the least inhibit our ability to add new Spells, Magic Items and, most of all, more Monsters.

Is anybody interested? And if yes, what on this project interests you the most? Creating the setting of the AP? Or individual installments of it?

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: Adventure Path for Dark Dungeons

Post by RobJN » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:30 pm

Interesting idea.... Does Dark Dungeons have a default setting? I remember some discussion of it earlier, but don't know whether it yielded any fruit.

Of course, a setting-less Adventure Path would be quite a challenge.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Zurunir
Goblin

Post by Zurunir » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:56 pm

RobJN wrote:Interesting idea.... Does Dark Dungeons have a default setting? I remember some discussion of it earlier, but don't know whether it yielded any fruit.

Of course, a setting-less Adventure Path would be quite a challenge.
Hi RobJn. I didn't find any setting in the DD PDF, but maybe I should look again.

In any case, a setting isn't strictly necessary, as the overall adventure path's storyline is far more important than where the adventure path plays.

And we could make things up as we go along. After all, that's the way all true game classics (whether D&D itself, BECMI, Dragonlance, AD&D or Temple of Elemental Evil) were created too.

But we would need more than just 1 or 2 participants. I think everyone who participates would have one specific aspect he's "in charge" of: mapping, creating the individual adventures7installments/creating the main NPCs, creating the setting, etc. Albeit everyone would be involved in all aspects to a certain point.

What ideas would you suggest for an adventure path? Ideas that are strong enough to carry a campaign from the basic tier to the master tier? Maybe even beyond it?

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:07 am

The thing with adventure paths is, they get bigger the higher up one goes in level, the stakes rising throughout each level spread. All right, you've saved the princess, but now the dragons have taken roost in the castle. The castle has been cleared, but now there's an army on the borders....

Adventures with a broad scope, or where the scope will significantly broaden, can't take place in a vacuum.

I'm already up to my eyebrows in adventure path design, but you might want to take a look at how I've structured the progression I've worked my way through.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Zurunir
Goblin

Post by Zurunir » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:40 am

Hmm. I certainly see your point. But wouldn't it make more sense to already map out a big epic and then split it into smaller chunks, each chunk being one tier( make that several chunks/modules at the higher tiers)?

Example: Dragon Age (For a thousand years, all dragons have been gone. No suddenly the chaotic dragons return but the lawful dragons remain missing. Why?)

Chapter One: The characters start to explore one really big dungeon-- big enough that it lasts most of the basic game. To their horror, they find out that the "boss monster" of that dungeon is a Red Dragon.

Chapter Two: As the characters grow in experience, they find the world more and more assaulted by the chaos dragons. Finally, a sequence of events (which one depends on the player actions-- NEVER rail-road the players.) leads the characters into leaving their native realm and travelling the continent in search of help against the dragons.

Chapter Three to Five: The characters have had many adventures (most of which had nothing to do with the dragons) and are by now powerful enough to found realms. Yet the dragons keep coming and conquering. By now, the PCs realize that they will need powerful anti-dragon weapons. They travel around the world collecting infos about that, and finally realize that they must collect the components for such a weapon from throughout the Elemental Planes.

Chapter Six to Ten: Many adventures in the Inner planes.

Chapter Eleven to Twelve: Now armed with their dragon slayers, they make war upon the dragons. And now they also realize why the lawful dragons don't appear: their king is trapped in the realm of the king of the chaotic dragons. So they travel into that nightmare plane and try to free him. They have a climactic war with the king of chaos dragons.

That's hardly a creative adventure path, I know. But it serves as an example how i would create an adventure path if I created it alone. But an adventure path HAS to be epic in scope to begin with. Otherwise, how is the plot expected to carry your players from level 1 to level 30 and beyond?

vito
Orc

Post by vito » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:06 am

Yay! Adventure paths!
I'm gonna spitball some ideas out there...

A secret alchemical formula has been stolen from the largest red-powder mill in the realm. The adventurers are being paid to investigate.
The formula was stolen by a group of chaos acolytes. Thes guys are planning to build a huge bomb to blast open a a fortified crypt and release the undead threat within.

It later turns out that the chaos acolytes were being manipulated by a shadowy organization called the Dark Circle. It turns out the leader of the Dark Circle was once apprenticed to a lich entombed within the crypt. That apprentice is now an immortal or on his way to becoming an immortal.

Return to “Dark Dungeons”