Chapter 21: Game Master Advice

Old School Revival at its best?

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Blacky the Blackball
White Dragon

Chapter 21: Game Master Advice

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:15 am

It's the last chapter!

Well, not really. I've still got to go back and put in the other half of the monsters...

Still, I'm a bit stuck for what should go into this chapter.

When I first wrote the chapter plan out, this chapter was described as:
Chapter 21: GM Advice - world building, playing NPCs, handling combat, etc.
But most of that (the world building and combat stuff) is already in other chapters. I suppose I should just witter about any miscellaneous stuff that hasn't already made it into a chapter. I'm good at wittering!

Any suggestions of what should be in it? I'm hoping to make it a bit crunchy, and not simply trying to teach GMs how to suck eggs...
Last edited by Blacky the Blackball on Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: [Dark Dungeons] - Chapter 21: Game Master Advice

Post by Ashtagon » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:30 am

Make it an ultra short chapter, with a literal description of how to actually suck eggs :lol:

Odds are good that anyone reading it won't be an utter newbie to gaming and probably has seen half a dozen differnet versions of "how to DM" anyway.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Blacky the Blackball
White Dragon

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:51 pm

I pretty much gave up on the whole "advice" thing, and just stuck in some miscellaneous rules that didn't fit anywhere else.

I've put in rules for dying of old age - mostly irrelevant unless you get aged by a ghost or something.

I've put in rules for minimum hit points as characters go up levels. I was debating whether or not to make this an optional rule, but since it would have been the only optional rule in the whole game I decided to make it core instead. The numbers are my own - and I calculated them by basically saying "at least average" at first level, and then adding one fewer per level until we're only adding two per level. For example, taking fighters (who roll d8 for hit points, of course), the minima are:

1st level = 5
2nd level = 9
3rd level = 12
4th level = 14
5th level = 16
6th level = 18
7th level = 20
8th level = 22
9th level = 24

Of course, the character would have to be rolling really badly to have that few hit points (before con bonus) at each level, but then that's what the rule is for. It stops the rolling of a short run of ones and twos from completely crippling a character, especially at low level.

I've also included rules for making magic items, some wittering explaining why there are no standard costs for buying and selling magic items, and rules for making constructs.

The magic item rules are mostly from the RC, but I simplified them somewhat.

Oh - and I included some advice about building a setting, pointing out which bits of the cosmology are modular and easily removed, and also reminding GMs of which bits would have an effect on the societies and countries of their world even if the PCs don't necessarily interact with them at low level. The point being that the GM should make sure they're in the background so (for example) it doesn't suddenly come as a surprise to the players when they find out that there are flying ships or creatures from other worlds or whatever just at the level when they're supposed to be dealing with that sort of stuff.
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:16 pm

Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Return to “Dark Dungeons”