HexWorld - my new project!

Old School Revival at its best?

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Blacky the Blackball
White Dragon

HexWorld - my new project!

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:27 am

Working on a campaign setting for Dark Dungeons has made me realise that I need a map: preferably a hex-map.

And needing a hex-map means that I need hex-mapping software...

I tried a few different free hex-mapping applications, but they all had the problem that they are designed for simple rectangular "grids" of hexes. I want to be able to map entire planets - which means I need something that will wrap the hexes around a sphere in a reasonable manner.

So I decided to write one myself. Hence "HexWorld"!

It is by no means finished, but I've got the basics up and running (screenshots to follow at the weekend - I'm posting from work now).

The first thing you do is define the size of the planet that you want to create. The program then creates an icosahedral projection of a planet of that size, filling each face with 72-mile hexes. It then creates a cube of 3d Perlin Noise and intersects the true-3d location of each hex centre with it in order to give each hex a terrain type based on the noise value at that point.

So far this is just re-inventing the wheel - since that's the same as what IsoMage's application does.

However, this is where my application and IsoMage's diverge.

Rather than produce a single flat image, my application holds the world in memory as a collection of individual hexes. You can view the world in one of three modes:

Globe - You see the world as a 3d sphere with the hex grid mapped directly onto it. This gives you the best view of how the planet looks as a whole, with the continents displayed at their real locations and with minimal twisting and skewing. You can rotate and zoom as much as you like to view the planet from any angle or distance. Given the nature of mapping hexes onto a curved surface, each individual hex is somewhat deformed in this view, but the deformation is smoothly distributed so they don't look too bizarre (except for the inevitable 12 pentagons, of course).

Icosahedron - You see the world as a 3d icosahedron with the hex grid mapped onto it. This is very similar to the globe view, except that instead of deforming each hex in order to make the planet look right, it distorts the planet in order to make each hex look right. It's like viewing a huge d20. As with the globe view, you can rotate and zoom to your heart's content.

Net View - You see half the world (a single triangular "face" plus each of the three adjacent faces, plus each of those three faces' other adjacent faces) flattened out as a seamless net. This view cannot be zoomed, but you can scroll around the planet in any direction. The net re-aligns itself on the fly, so you can seamlessly scroll from one face to another. If you do so, the peripheral faces will shift and rotate accordingly.

The net view allows you to edit individual hexes from a palette of hex types, and switching to either of the other two views instantly shows what your changes look like in the "real world".

The power of editing in the net view is that you can edit features anywhere on 90-95% of the planet seamlessly without having to start hex-counting in order to align features that would normally be split when the icosahedron is flattened. The only places where these splits are visible is if you are editing right up against one of the 12 vertices of the icosahedron. However, even in these cases a small amount of scrolling will ensure that the split is always at the opposite side of the vertex to the hex(es) that you are editing.

One consequence of this seamless editing is that there is no definitive "up" direction for any hex, and therefore the top of the screen will not always be facing north. Because of this, the program needs to be able to display the hexes of any face in any orientation - and therefore must store the every individual hex tile independently rather than just storing an image for each face. If it just stored an image for each face, the symbols on the hexes would get out of synch with each other and point in crazy directions. By storing the hexes themselves and drawing the faces on the fly when needed, the hexes can always be drawn the "right way up" even when the map face that they are on is drawn at an unusual angle.

This has two big drawbacks:

1) Drawing the hexes (both flat an in 3d) is very intensive work, and therefore requires the use of hardware-acceleration. I'm therefore writing it in C#, using XNA 4.0. While this is giving great performance (I'm getting 60 frames per second on an Earth-sized planet of approximately 27,500 hexes) it does mean that it is explicitly a Windows application and will probably have performance issues on PCs that are more than three or four years old.

2) Because I have to be able to draw each hex at any orientation, hexes can only contain standard symbols. You can't draw free-form sub-hex features such as rivers or roads. This isn't that much of an issue, since the application is designed for large scale planetary and continental design rather than small scale work.

This is very much a work-in-progress at the moment. I have all the above features working, but the following features are still missing:
  • Although I've made sure that there is a nice separation between graphics and data, and all the data is stored in memory in forms that can easily be written/read from disk, I haven't yet written the load/save functions. Currently every time you start the application it creates you a new planet and you lose your work when you close the application.
  • Similarly, although I've made sure that the initial world generation is all done from two numbers - a random seed and a size - there's currently no way for the user to input them. The seed cannot be input by the user (to reproduce a specific pattern of landmasses) and changing the size currently requires tweaking a value directly in the source code.
  • I haven't yet written anything to export the map to image files. Currently the only way to take a copy of the map is to view it and take a screen-capture.
I'll try to put up some screenshots at the weekend, and I'm up for further functionality suggestions.

In particular, I'm wondering about smaller scale maps. It would be lovely to be able to take a section of 72-mile hex map and use it as a backdrop to draw a 24-mile hex map on top of, and maybe even do the same - using that 24-mile hex map to draw an 8-mile hex map on top of. Obviously, you wouldn't want to have those smaller scale maps for the whole world, only selected areas. Similarly, you'd want those maps to be fixed orientation so that you could draw free-form features such as roads, rivers, and detailed coastlines on them. But how to select those areas and handle the transition from world to region is something that needs much thought...
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

Dave L
Storm Giant

Re: HexWorld - my new project!

Post by Dave L » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:34 am

Sounds really shiny! :)

I look forward to seeing how you resolve some of the issues, especially the 24-mile and 8-mile hex details.

Blacky the Blackball
White Dragon

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:36 am

And now some screenshots!

Firstly, yes I know the UI sucks. That's because the technical bits are currently taking priority. I'll clean up the UI later.

Anyway....

So first you run the application, and it creates you a random planet. I haven't timed this, but it takes around half a second to a second to produce an earth-sized planet full of 72-mile hexes. Probably less since that time includes setting up the graphics and so forth too. As you can see, the planet is displayed in full spinny-rotatey 3D. I'm getting 60fps on my machine, but that may vary depending on hardware etc.

Here we have zoomed in to the northern end of the right hand continent on the planet above so that we can see more detail. You can actually zoom in so close that a single hex fills the screen, but I don't know why you'd want to zoom in that far. This closer view shows the way the hexes are skewed. If you look to the left of the small island of the northern coast, you can actually see a pentagon - that's one of the vertices of the isosahedron that the map is projected onto.

We can also view the planet in icosahedral mode, where the hexes no longer look skewed, but the planet itself is shaped as a d20. This is the same planet, but I rotated it around to get it in the best position for lighting and contrast so you can see the faces and edges clearly.

Ok... Now we have switched to the third mode - map or edit mode. We are now looking at the same patch of land that we zoomed into before, but in 2d. Notice the palette of hexes on the right. This is a (currently rather crude) editing tool, so that we can touch up and edit individual hexes. Also notice the "orientation" guide at the top of the side-panel. It can be quite easy to get lost when zooming around the planet in edit mode, so this guide shows you your rough position and (more importantly) orientation.

There's not much difference here. I've scrolled up a bit, and you can now see how edit mode has split the map and unfolded it. By the way, if you're wondering why one hex is picked out in white - that's the hex under the cursor (which you can't see in these screenshots).

So - we've done some simple editing by selecting the "Volcano" hex from the palette and painting it over the range of hills. Not realistic, but highly visible; which is the point of this screenshot.

Scrolling upwards, we can now see that the edit mode has automatically re-aligned the faces of the icosahedron around our current location so that we can move and edit seamlessly. We are now in the upper third of the planet, nearer the north pole, and it has closed up the seam that was visible before and instead unfolded the seam to our south. We can now edit this area of sea that was previously split, and the land we were editing is now split instead. Notice how the patch of volcanoes has actually been rotated by 60 degrees but the volcano symbols themselves remain upright. That's because we're drawing individual hexes rather than just composite bitmaps.

And we've now switched back to the planet view - which has been instantly updated by our edits. We can now see the new volcano range at the top of our continent.

Pressing the "Export" button (currently only a hotkey rather than a UI element), exports us a large (about 11,000x5,000 pixels) map of the whole planet, including any edits we made. I goofed a bit here when preparing the screenshots, and closed the application before exporting - and when I re-opened it I got a new planet of course. That's why this image doesn't match the ones above. It should give you enough of an idea of how the application works, though.

Next stop: loading and saving the planet so that it doesn't force you to create a new one each time you run it...
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:39 am

Wow, impressive!

Love the name too :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:54 pm

Wow that looks good! :)

Will there be an option to import custom hex art?

Once you have the load option working, I have an idea ...

How about exporting the map, pasting an existing map onto it, then loading it back in?

I'm thinking one of my Blackmoor maps might be a good test.
Or my Eberron map, or the Talislanta map, or .... ;)

Blacky the Blackball
White Dragon

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:59 am

Dave L wrote:Will there be an option to import custom hex art?
I don't see why not. The each hex is stored as a simple (row/col) pair based on the "palette" of hexes, and then the actual hex image is read only when it is going to be displayed. Swapping out that palette for a new one with different images would instantly change the entire world to using the new hexes. I'd probably limit it to a fixed size of image, though - otherwise it would need to resize everything on-the-fly and that would get rather messy.
How about exporting the map, pasting an existing map onto it, then loading it back in?
I don't think that would work as it stands. The export (to a .png file) is a very different process to the save/load (as a .hexworld file). The internal data structures - which is what are saved and loaded in the .hexworld file - don't contain any graphical information. Instead they contain the position, orientation and connectivity of each triangular map face, as well as a skewed grid of hexes for each face and information about which hexes are shared by multiple faces (i.e. all the ones on the edges or vertices of the icosahedron). For each hex, whether shared or not, the (row/col) of the hex's image from the palette is stored.

When exporting to an image, all that information is lost. The image contains no information about the world. It's merely a picture.

We could only import such a picture and rebuild the data structures from it if we were sure that the picture itself was a clean image with each hex being an exact replica of one of the hexes on our palette. Realistically, for that to happen the image would need to have been exported from HexWorld in the first place - and that would then be redundant because we'd presumably have the .hexworld file for it and could just open that.

There's no feasible way that a hex map containing freeform coastlines, roads, rivers, text at various sizes and fonts, and other such stuff could be imported; since there's no way to reverse-engineer those into the internal data structures. The restriction of only handling whole-hex features from a fixed palette (palette swaps notwithstanding) is the price that we pay for the flexibility of being able to edit any part of the world at any angle.

That's not to say that the smaller scale 24-mile and 8-mile hex maps would have the same restriction. Although I haven't worked out the details yet, my feeling is that those are likely to be stored as multi-layer images so that they can then have such freeform stuff "painted" on.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:06 am

This is pretty cool. Can you modify the coastlines and such after a hexmap has been generated, or will they always be hexes only? (IE, can you make rounded corners and the like, or no?)
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Blacky the Blackball
White Dragon

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:19 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:This is pretty cool. Can you modify the coastlines and such after a hexmap has been generated, or will they always be hexes only? (IE, can you make rounded corners and the like, or no?)
On the 72-mile-hex scale (the planetary scale), they will always be hexes only.

However, in the medium term the intention is that the 72-mile-hex scale will be for an overview of the whole planet, and the user will be able to select areas to make more detailed 24-mile-hex and 8-mile-hex maps of (and these smaller scale maps should use the larger scale equivalents as a backdrop - although I'm not 100% sure yet how this will work: I have a number of approaches to choose from). Those smaller scale maps will use a layer system and definitely allow the superimposition of freeform coastlines / rivers / roads / text and other non-hex stuff on top of the hexes.

But first I need to finish the large scale 72-mile-hex stuff by getting the saving and loading routines working properly.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:31 pm

I'm not sure how the application works, but would it be possible to save out the coastlines as a separate "layer". In theory you could save any number of layers with extraneous information and then combine them to create your finished image.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Blacky the Blackball
White Dragon

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:45 pm

Chimpman wrote:I'm not sure how the application works, but would it be possible to save out the coastlines as a separate "layer". In theory you could save any number of layers with extraneous information and then combine them to create your finished image.
That's the plan for the small scale area maps.

The problem with doing that for the large scale world map is that such a coastline layer would have to be made of individual hexes that could be drawn at any rotation. While that's possible - having a palette of pre-defined coastline hexes for each combination of land/sea neighbours - it would be fiddly, and wouldn't allow for freehand drawing of the coast. I might experiment with it when I've got the main features of the program working, and see if the benefits are worth the effort.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:48 pm

How feasible would it be to create a series of "overlay" hexes (similar to the city/town overlay graphics in some other mapping apps) that, in addition to overlaying man-made structures, could overlay coastlines or rivers? This could then just as easily be stored as pure data internally, and still result in near-perfect renditions of maps.

doh - you typed a reply to me just as I was posting it!

okay, you'd lose the ability to freehand draw in a coast, but otoh, you gain the ability to have a drawn coast at all.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Blacky the Blackball
White Dragon

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:59 am

Well, the main new/load/save dialog is proving to be a pain in the bum.

Because I'm doing this in XNA, I can't use normal windows controls. This means that I can't, for example, simply pop up a modal dialog box with a couple of text boxes and buttons on it. That would be far too easy.

Instead I'm going to have to manage the application state by hand on a 60-frames-per-second basis in order to hand-draw my own "dialog box", including writing (and drawing) my own version of a text box from scratch. I'll even have to do simple things by hand like converting key-codes into letters/numbers and managing "key repeat" so that pressing a key for more than a single 1/60 of a second frame doesn't result in multiple characters being typed but holding it down for longer does start repeating...

It's always surprising how stuff that appears complex to the user turns out to be simple for the programmer, and yet things that appear utterly trivial to the user end up taking a great deal of behind-the-scenes effort to get working.

Beedo
Goblin

Post by Beedo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:32 am

Wow, this is really amazing... how long have you been working on it? Dark Dungeons hasn't been done that long...

Okay - on to feature ideas.

I would probably do the large scale world-shaping using this program - apply tectonics to structure mountains ranges, apply climatology and identify deserts and wet zones, things like that. To support climatology, having overlays showing major latitude lines would be helpful (the equator, 30, 60, 90 etc). Apparently most deserts are at 30 degrees north and south, for instance.

The small scale map crafting could be done in an external program - a graphics or mapping program. You wouldn't need to put in support for text, custom tiles, drawing roads and rivers, etc into HexWorld. There are lots of programs that do the detailed stuff. I have *never* seen one that does this.

To facilitate exporting small sections, I would work with the flat projection (the 11,000 x 5000 pixel image) and grab small sections as images for detail work. Being able to see the 72-mile overlay and have a smaller hex size visible (24 or 8) would be super useful on the exported map.

Once again - really nice job!
My Campaign Journal - Beedo's Gothic Greyhawk:
http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=45047

Blacky the Blackball
White Dragon

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:38 am

Beedo wrote:Wow, this is really amazing... how long have you been working on it? Dark Dungeons hasn't been done that long...
Only about two weeks, on and off (in evenings and weekends).

When I'm not writing retro-clones my day job is as a professional software developer...
Okay - on to feature ideas.

I would probably do the large scale world-shaping using this program - apply tectonics to structure mountains ranges, apply climatology and identify deserts and wet zones, things like that. To support climatology, having overlays showing major latitude lines would be helpful (the equator, 30, 60, 90 etc). Apparently most deserts are at 30 degrees north and south, for instance.
I hadn't initially planned to include climatology and geology, mainly because I know little about the subjects. That's partly why I'm putting in the editing and touch-up tools - so that after the initial random generation has happened, the user can add deserts and forests and reshape mountains and so forth.

However, hiven the way that the random terrain generation works, however, it would be really easy to replace the Sea -> Grass -> Hill -> Mountain progression with different ones at different approximate latitudes.
The small scale map crafting could be done in an external program - a graphics or mapping program. You wouldn't need to put in support for text, custom tiles, drawing roads and rivers, etc into HexWorld. There are lots of programs that do the detailed stuff. I have *never* seen one that does this.
Neither have I - that's why I felt the need for it.
To facilitate exporting small sections, I would work with the flat projection (the 11,000 x 5000 pixel image) and grab small sections as images for detail work. Being able to see the 72-mile overlay and have a smaller hex size visible (24 or 8) would be super useful on the exported map.
The 72-mile hex overlay is visible on the flat projection. You just can't see it on the image above because I had to shrink it so much before uploading it. The actual image produced is at the same resolution as the "edit mode" screenshots.

Once again - really nice job![/quote]

Beedo
Goblin

Post by Beedo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:05 pm

Blacky the Blackball wrote: I hadn't initially planned to include climatology and geology, mainly because I know little about the subjects. That's partly why I'm putting in the editing and touch-up tools - so that after the initial random generation has happened, the user can add deserts and forests and reshape mountains and so forth.

However, hiven the way that the random terrain generation works, however, it would be really easy to replace the Sea -> Grass -> Hill -> Mountain progression with different ones at different approximate latitudes.
Ah - I wasn't clear! No, I wasn't meaning HexWorld should be able to handle climatology and tectonics - just saying that when the (human) building the world generates it from the seed values, the next thing to do would be look at the map, figure out where they think drift might be happening, tweak the mountains, island chains, etc, and then apply wind and sea current effects to determine wet and dry zones when placing vegetation.

The only software feature that would be helpful in HexWorld to support making up the climates is the ability to overlay some of the major latitudinal lines.

Beedo
Goblin

Post by Beedo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:31 pm

Here is a free pdf guide I've used in the past that explains how basic wind and sea current patterns affect climate - helps support a top-down approach to worldbuilding like what we'd do with HexWorld:

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php? ... s_id=55266

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:39 pm

Just noticed this - very impressive!

Gecko
Storm Giant

Post by Gecko » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:34 pm

Hugin wrote:Just noticed this - very impressive!
likewise, I just saw this and got very interested. But then I saw that this thread is 3 years old ;( ... Is this dead?

Blacky the Blackball
White Dragon

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:55 pm

Yeah, it's been three years and two computer upgrades since I last worked on it.

I may still have the source code on a back-up drive somewhere if I'm lucky, but I'm now on Windows 8 and Visual Studio 12 and Microsoft dropped XNA support after Visual Studio 10.

snorri
Ogre

Post by snorri » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:05 pm

My campaign world is dodecahedric, with 12 flat faces. far much easier :)
But anyway, you're doing a wonderfull job as usual.

Return to “Dark Dungeons”