What Gods do you use?

Old School Revival at its best?

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

smarttman
Hobgoblin

What Gods do you use?

Post by smarttman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:42 pm

What Gods do you use in your Dark Dungeons games? Since there are no "official" deities, I was wondering what your cast of Immortals looks like

Denakhan
Goblin

Re: What Gods do you use?

Post by Denakhan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:13 am

Hiya.

For me...right now...we are playing in Golarion. Golarion is the world for the Pathfinder RPG. I had DM'ed the first one and a half modules from their adventure path Council of Thieves. We stopped, tried some other games, then one of the players decided to continue that AP. I think we played upto the end of the 3rd module? Anyway, we weren't that keen on that AP...too many logical inconsistancies for us. But we all really liked the Golarion setting.

So...when everyone came to me (the default GM) and said "We want to play Dark Dungeons!", I was a bit surprised. Sure, I had bought each one of my players their own softcover (7 books in all; plus I just got my Delux Color Hardback in the mail last week! :) ), but they all seemed rather gung-ho over it.

But I digress. I presented them two choices in which to play DD; the Fighting Fantasy world of Titan, or Golarion. If we were to play in Golarion, I wanted to run the Second Darkness adventure path...with significant and heavy mods. And, another big surprise, they choose Golarion and the Second Darkness AP. So, immortal wise, we are using the immortals from the Golarion setting.

Oh, in case you don't know about Golarion... http://paizo.com/pathfinder/campaignSetting .

Blacky the Blackball
White Dragon

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:44 am

My Dark Dungeons game is set in Mystara - somewhat ironic given that I had to go through removing all the Mystara-specific content to avoid copyright issues. So I'm using Mystaran Immortals.

The ones that have come into play so far have been Thendara, Arik and Pflarr. The party are currently working as agents of Thendara (they've even met her in person twice) and are opposing the agents of Arik's worshippers. They've currently entered a tomb of a priest of Pflarr to recover an item for a magic-user. They just hid an artefact of Arik's in the tomb to replace the item they were looking for, since they couldn't destroy it and they thought that it was the last place that his people would look for it!
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

JoeNotCharles
Ogre

Post by JoeNotCharles » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:09 am

If I were running in a "generic" fantasy world, I would probably use the D&D 4E gods. They did a great job of making a pantheon that's big enough to be interesting and have lots of conflict, without being too big to keep in your head. Each god has an identifiable and iconic role, but I can't think of anything major that isn't covered by one of the gods, despite their relatively limited number. Very flavourful, with lots of great hooks.

Maelphyn
Goblin

Post by Maelphyn » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:09 pm

I tend to use an ultra-genericized pantheon of twelve gods, modeled after the Olpympians, Gene Wolfe's "Book of the Long Sun" tetralogy, and influenced a little by George R.R. Martin's Faith of the Seven in "A Song of Ice and Fire". I typically don't give personal names to deities, preferring to leave them with their titles alone.
  • The Father
  • The Mother
  • The Poet
  • The Warrior
  • The Arbiter
  • The Lover
  • The Maiden
  • The Smith
  • The Reveler
  • The Traveler
  • The Trickster
  • The Outsider
The first rule of improv: say "yes" to everything.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:12 pm

Denakhan wrote: But I digress. I presented them two choices in which to play DD; the Fighting Fantasy world of Titan.
This setting, by the way, has quite well described and defined gods (within a wiki-style website already set up and therefore easy to convey to the players):
http://fightingfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Celestial_Court
http://fightingfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/F ... nTitan.jpg
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Xeta
Kobold

Post by Xeta » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:44 pm

I had registered so I could ask this question. But now I see it has already been asked.

Where would I find more info about the Mystara pantheon of gods/immortals? What books?

In lieu of finding more info about that, I was considering using the pantheon from Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. The game has 18 gods in it. You might have to add a couple for the non-RPG concepts like agriculture and fertility, but some of the existing gods could be dropped/replaced/adapted too.

Link to game:
http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/
Link to game wiki with an overview of the gods:
http://crawl.chaosforge.org/God_comparison

Being a game, a lot of player rewards are already figured out. In fact, the game even has a retribution system if you forsake worshiping one god for another. The page above goes into short detail about each god.

I love the idea of Ashenzari as a chained god that can see all. In fact, she encourages her followers to use cursed items and rewards them with the ability to identify items and possibly see random item/monster locations through walls.

I was also thinking of adapting Fedhas Madash as a false god of the druids. He is obsessed with destroying civilization and returning things to a "natural" state. Could make a good cult for a bunch of crazy druids.

Jivya is the god of mutations and slimes. Tricky thing is, there is only one sentient slime in the world, so Jivya only has 1 worshiper (The Royal Jelly). After the players kill The Royal Jelly, Jivya could start trying to coax the players into worshiping him/her/it with promises of random body mutations.

Okawaru would be the classic god of honorable knights. He rewards those that fight honorably and fairly and do not put their allies into harm's way.

In fact, the more I think about this the more I might just do it. Could be fun. :)

maddog
Frost Giant

Post by maddog » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:04 pm

Xeta wrote:Where would I find more info about the Mystara pantheon of gods/immortals? What books?
The Vaults of Pandius is what you want. http://pandius.com/imm.html

--Ray.
---
Hey! I just became a frost giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.

Xeta
Kobold

Post by Xeta » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:54 pm

Perfect! Thank you!

What a crazy variety of immortals. I especially liked that the patron of storms is also the patron of ale. Made me think of some kind of heavy metal rock god.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:23 am

Xeta wrote:Perfect! Thank you!

What a crazy variety of immortals. I especially liked that the patron of storms is also the patron of ale. Made me think of some kind of heavy metal rock god.
He is also known as «Dark Malt» ! :D :D :D :D

Gecko
Storm Giant

Re: Aegir/Hymir

Post by Gecko » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:44 am

Welcome Xeta,
Xeta wrote:What a crazy variety of immortals. I especially liked that the patron of storms is also the patron of ale. Made me think of some kind of heavy metal rock god.
sounds like your looking at Robin D's version and the entry for Aegir. Robin incorporated lots of RW Mythology, especially to expand on the obscure one's like Aegir. Most fan expansion versions link Aegir to the equally obscure Hymir (ie here's the version in the Codex Immortalis) and play down the "storms" part in favor of the "sea giant patron" aspect, but even then he's still only a very minor deity. And of course with such an obscure immortal who has so few cannon mentions, there are completely different takes - for example Shawn's version links Hymir to Chronomancy instead of Sea Giants.

Return to “Dark Dungeons”