Dark Dungeons...in Japanese!

Old School Revival at its best?

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Dark Dungeons...in Japanese!

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:51 pm

I've been speaking to a guy called Yuuichi on the Facebook page for Dark Dungeons. He wants to translate Dark Dungeons into Japanese. :cool:

Trouble is, he doesn't speak English very well and my Japanese is non-existant.

I think it would be great if Dark Dungeons got translated into different languages, so that more people could play.

Is there anyone here that could help Yuuichi?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Blacky the Blackball
White Dragon

Re: Dark Dungeons...in Japanese!

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:39 pm

I'd love for that to happen. I'm not sure how much help I can be (my Japanese is as non-existent as yours!) but if he needs to ask about what anything means I'm more than happy to give further explanation...
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

Sock Puppet
Troll

Post by Sock Puppet » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:31 pm

My Japanese is barely sufficient to provide assistance. Thorf may also be able to provide (better) help, time permitting.
I am Ashtagon's sock puppet account.

JoshR
Goblin

Post by JoshR » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:52 am

I'm fluent in Japanese. I'm happy to answer any questions or provide help, time permitting.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:53 am

Blacky the Blackball wrote:I'd love for that to happen. I'm not sure how much help I can be (my Japanese is as non-existent as yours!) but if he needs to ask about what anything means I'm more than happy to give further explanation...
Thanks Blacky. Yuuichi said this over at Faceborg:
Yuuichi Aikawa wrote:The first company which published a Japanese former edition failed.
The second company which published a Japanese former edition was purchased, and the licensing agreement was not updated.
The rulebook of the former edition is very expensive and is made a deal.
I translate a Japanese edition of "Dark Dungeons" and want to contribute it.
I think that means that the official adaptation of the worlds most popular RPG is no longer in print over there.

A Japanese Dark Dungeons would make a PoD rulebook that would stick around and allow a fanbase to grow at whatever pace it needs to.
Sock Puppet wrote:My Japanese is barely sufficient to provide assistance. Thorf may also be able to provide (better) help, time permitting.
I thought you were fluent.

I figured Thorf would be good at this, but that he would not have time at the moment. However, having said that, maybe a Japanese Dark Dungeons would be a good thing for him to have access to when his kids get a bit older and can roleplay. I think I'll drop him a link.
JoshR wrote:I'm fluent in Japanese. I'm happy to answer any questions or provide help, time permitting.
Great. I'll pass that onto Yuuichi. Are you on Faceborg, Josh? I'm not sure that Yuuchi has figured out how to use the forum yet. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Sock Puppet
Troll

Post by Sock Puppet » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:25 am

I was fluent, but lack of immersion in the language has eroded my abilities a lot. In any case, my fluency was more focused on daily life issues and on education, rather than on gaming terminology. The required vocabulary is sufficiently different that I would be floundering to some extent.
I am Ashtagon's sock puppet account.

JoshR
Goblin

Post by JoshR » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:58 pm

Thanks Blacky. Yuuichi said this over at Faceborg:
Yuuichi Aikawa wrote:The first company which published a Japanese former edition failed.
The second company which published a Japanese former edition was purchased, and the licensing agreement was not updated.
The rulebook of the former edition is very expensive and is made a deal.
I translate a Japanese edition of "Dark Dungeons" and want to contribute it.
I think that means that the official adaptation of the worlds most popular RPG is no longer in print over there.
D&D was first brought to Japan via Mentzer's BECMI, published by a company called Shinwa, in 1985. They abandoned the translation rights in 1991, after which they were picked up by JRPG publisher Media Works in 1993. Media Works put out a translation of the Rules Cyclopedia. While Shinwa published Japanese versions that looked just like the originals, Media Works totally localized the work, putting it out in multiple low-cost paperbacks with new, anime-style art.

When TSR was bought by WotC, Media Works lost the translation rights. WotC made a deal with a company called Hobby Japan to release 3e in 2002. They've been translating 3e and 4e since then at roughly a 2 year lag. 4e Essentials just came out last year.
JoshR wrote:I'm fluent in Japanese. I'm happy to answer any questions or provide help, time permitting.
Great. I'll pass that onto Yuuichi. Are you on Faceborg, Josh? I'm not sure that Yuuchi has figured out how to use the forum yet. :)
I'm on Facebook, but I go through periods of not really checking it. I'll PM you my email.

yuuichi.A
Goblin

Post by yuuichi.A » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:22 pm

I came to this web site.
I am a Japanese named YUUICHI AIKAWA.
I live in Japan.
I do work of the Japanization of "Dark Dungeons".
I carry out the activity alone.
English is not good.
Most depend on the translation software.
- - -
このwebサイトにきました。
私は、YUUICHI AIKAWAという名の日本人です。
私は、日本に住んでいます。
私は、「Dark Dungeons」の日本語化の作業をしています。
一人でその作業をしています。
英語はうまくありません。
ほとんどが翻訳ソフトウェアに依存しています。
私は日本にいます。

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:10 pm

ゆういちさん、よろしく。私はサイトのオーナー。
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

yuuichi.A
Goblin

Post by yuuichi.A » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:37 pm

よろしくお願いします。
Pathfinder RPGを翻訳している有志の人達がいます。
Pathfinder RPGの翻訳は完了しているようです。
私はレトロクローンをもっと知ってほしいと考えています。

Thanking you in advance.
There are people of a volunteer translating Pathfinder RPG.
Translation of the Pathfinder RPG seems to be completed.
I think that I want you to know the nostalgic clone more.
私は日本にいます。

Blacky the Blackball
White Dragon

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:12 pm

Hi Yuuichi!

I wrote Dark Dungeons. I don't speak Japanese at all.

But if I can explain things in easier English than the book does, please ask.

Thanks for doing the Japanese translation!
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

JoshR
Goblin

Post by JoshR » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:51 pm

Just a clarification -- Yuuchi's saying he wants retroclones known more in Japan.

相河さん、
こんなプロジェクトが大変だと思いますが、
頑張って下さい!

yuuichi.A
Goblin

Post by yuuichi.A » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:31 pm

Thank you for comment in my remark.
Work yet goes ahead only around 50 pages through me.
It takes time.

私の発言にコメントをいただきありがとうございます。
私は、まだ、50ページ程度しか作業がすすんでいません。
時間がかかっています。
私は日本にいます。

yuuichi.A
Goblin

Post by yuuichi.A » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:46 pm

There is a question about a product name of "Dark Dungeons".
Comic book called "Dark Dungeon" existed, but would assume a product name "Dark Dungeons" being conscious of it?
The TRPG rule that is not a nostalgic clone called "Dark dungeon" exists, but does not matter really.

"Dark Dungeons"のタイトルについて質問があります。
"Dark Dungeon"というコミックブックが存在していますが、それを意識して製品名を"Dark dungeons"としたのでしょうか?
"Dark dungeon"というレトロクローンではないTRPGルールは存在しますが、まったく関係ないですよね。
私は日本にいます。

Blacky the Blackball
White Dragon

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:57 pm

Yes.

The game has the same name as the comic as a joke.

The characters in examples in the game also have the same names as the characters in the comic.

yuuichi.A
Goblin

Post by yuuichi.A » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:23 pm

Dear Blacky the Blackball
I can be convinced.
Thank you.

Blacky the Blackballさんへ
納得できました。
ありがとうございます。
私は日本にいます。

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:47 pm

JoshR wrote:Just a clarification -- Yuuchi's saying he wants retroclones known more in Japan.

相河さん、
こんなプロジェクトが大変だと思いますが、
頑張って下さい!
Perhaps we can offer some advice to help raise awareness over there.

But that can probably wait until after the translation is finished.
yuuichi.A wrote:There is a question about a product name of "Dark Dungeons".
Comic book called "Dark Dungeon" existed, but would assume a product name "Dark Dungeons" being conscious of it?
The TRPG rule that is not a nostalgic clone called "Dark dungeon" exists, but does not matter really.

"Dark Dungeons"のタイトルについて質問があります。
"Dark Dungeon"というコミックブックが存在していますが、それを意識して製品名を"Dark dungeons"としたのでしょうか?
"Dark dungeon"というレトロクローンではないTRPGルールは存在しますが、まったく関係ないですよね。
The comic was an attack on roleplaying. The comic suggested that roleplaying games were bad for people.

There is a website called The Escapist that reports on media coverage of role playing. The Escapist has a page about that Dark Dungeons comic. That page explains what the comic is trying to suggest. The page also lists many people that have made jokes about the comic.

I know the owner of The Escapist. I told him about the Dark Dungeons roleplaying game and he mentioned it on that page. When your translation is complete, I will let him know about that too. He will be very happy when you finish this. :mrgreen:

Return to “Dark Dungeons”