[Mystara 2300 BC] Davania

Rebuilding the world in the wake of the Great Rain of Fire.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: [Mystara 2300 BC] Davania

Post by Chimpman »

Ok, I've been having a lot of ideas for the Izondian Deep region, and I thought I'd try to get a quick timeline down for some of the major events happening there. It's not complete yet (and may be subject to quite a bit of change), but I wanted to start getting it on paper, so to speak.

BC 3000: Great Rain of Fire. The Golden Empire collapses into chaos as its draconic leaders withdraw from the trials of the world. Their servants - taurans, shedu, sphinxes, clans of Oltecs, and others, are forced to fend for themselves. The shedu Gildesh is tasked by Ixion to prepare a land where his people can weather out the disasters caused by the Great Rain of Fire.

Through the power of Ixion, and the courage and dedication of Gildesh, the Realm of Gildesh is born in the center of the Izondian Desert. Ixion calls many of his followers into this land.

BC 2800: Ilsundal's First Migration leaves Vulcania.

BC 2500: The Second Elven Migration leaves Vulcania.

BC 2400: Vulcania is destroyed in volcanic activity.

BC 2350: Kwythellar and Ilsundal meet near the northwestern coast of Davania. Kwythellar tries to convince Ilsundal that these lands should be conquered, but Ilsundal rejects the plan. Kwythellar and his followers ignore Ilsundal's urgings to move on and begin conquering the locals. At first the elves bring the peoples of the area together in order to fend off sis'thik attacks from the desert and orc raiders in the mountains, but soon their real desires are revealed as Kwythellar sets himself up as self-stylized king. [Orcs in this case, would be a species of beastmen that developed on Davania convergently with those on Brun.]

BC 2300: After 700 years of service to Ixion, Gildesh is released from his duties. As a reward, the most faithful taurans are made into enduks, who Gildesh takes with him to the Arm of the Immortals to establish a new realm. The Realm of Gildesh falters and must fend of many outside threats bent on its destruction.

Kwythellar continues to expand the borders of his new kingdom. Dwarves, Oltecs and Tanagoro people are conquered. [This differs from the tale told here: Kwythellar Elves, in that the goblins are not the threat the elves use to consolidate power. Instead the sis'thik and orcs are used, but the goblins will come into play later.]

BC 2250: The Izondian desert begins to shrink (eventually to its present day state) as does the oasis at its center that served as the Realm of Gildesh. The folk of Gildesh are forced to flee their lands in search of more fertile homes. They travel outwards from the center of the desert to its borderlands, pushing the current inhabitants out as they go.

BC 2200 - BC 950: Sometime in this period a group of elven-orc half bloods forms the nation of Kilmur. The Kwythellar elves support them to some degree, using them as a buffer against increased sis'thik attacks.

BC 900: A massive horde of humanoids floods the area, attacking and sacking many of the cities of northern Davania. See: The Kwythellar Elves - Goblins of Kresh. [I'm assuming this was a migration coming in from Brun, which is why I place it in this era.]

BC 890: Kwythellar elves capture some of the new humanoids in the area (the Kresh) and begin experiments that will eventually lead to the Markresh.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin »

I'll do my best to set aside some time to give this a good thinking through, Chimpman!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Thanks Hugin! I guess the one sticking point I'm seeing is the humanoid invasion. The original Kwythellar material (I think) assumes that the goblinoid invasion and the original Kwythellar conquest happen around the same time. We know that Ilsundal was around when Kwythellar proposed his conquest, and we know that Ilsundal rejected that proposal. We also know that Ilsundal's elves are in the SC area circa BC2300, so that puts Kwythellar's "conquest" at some time before then.

However before BC 2300, the beastmen were "gathering at Urzud" and not really expanding/migrating into Davania. Hence the major discrepancy I'm trying to deal with. So we are left with a couple of options:

1) The humanoids in Davania circa BC 2300 are from a divergent line to those in Urzud. In this case they would probably have been in Davania pre-GRoF.

2) The humanoid invasion actually occurs after Kwythellar's original conquest, probably as late as BC 900 (when IIRC, we have some documented humanoid migrations into the area).

The above timeline actually tries to combine both of those options, but I'm not sure how well.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

That I found in a file from the time of the Davaniagroup, probably taken from fan material sources:
3000-2000 BC Climatics changes and difficulties decrease the number of the Enduks. Some of them leave the teachings of Idu to follow dark immortals (Hel).
2920 bc A desperate, starving tribe of goblin-like beastmen in Hyboria finds a lost Blackmoor airship. Unintentionally they start the ship and fly away, until the vessel falls in North western Davania. They found the Kresh clan.
2300 Kwithellar empire founded.
2050 BC Minoides, follower of Hel, start a civil war in the enduks kingdom. The good Enduks escape to Brun, where they found the new kingdom of Nimmur. The follower of Hel are cursed by Ixion, lose their wings, and are disperded in Brun and Davania.
2000 BC A large group of tanagoro colonist land in the formerly Enduks kingdom south of the strait of izonda.
1550 BC The good ogres followers of Sumag arrive in the south of the immortal arm
1250 BC To escape violent humanoids the ogres followers of Sumag go south and arrive in the land of the tanagoro colony and are initially welcomed.
900 BC After the humanoid invasion from the north, the Purification war drive away ogre kin from Arica, they migrate north and south (to the adakkian sound).
800 BC Varellyans arrive in southwestern davania and found a new nation here.
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

Good stuff - we should check the work on Platea to ensure consistency. The timelines for Varellya may have been changed.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Rakasta should also enter in the history of the region: http://pandius.com/rakhevol.html
The Jakar, Jakarundi and Pardasta breeds should live in the Izondian deep region and Ocelasta too, here mentioned in the above link:

BC 500: The Ocelotl tribes decide to abandon the wicked worship of Atzanteotl after realising the evil practices he's introducing among them. In retaliation, Atzanteotl curses the whole Ocelotl species so that they cannot anymore live together in large groups. The Ocelotl city-states are quickly abandoned because of the effects of the curse, and many Ocelotls killed by the Jakar clans still faithful to Atzanteotl. In the following centuries, Ocelotl heroes will try to lift the curse or find a cure for it, but to no avail; some Ocelotl clans will settle also in the Izonda region of Davania in the hope the curse will not follow them there.

I placed rakasta in the nations of Rakasi (mostly Jakar I think) and Dreka (maybe Pardasta) but more groups and clans probably live in other nations of the area and certainly inhabit the region since thousands of years...
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

I found some information from another thread that might prove useful here.
Mystara Adventures in Dungeon Magazine

Apparently there is an old adventure in Dungeon Magazine called Esmerelda's Bodyguard that is set on the Savage Coast. In that adventure is a creature called an utukku, which is a type of lion headed demon. The interesting thing is that in the listing for the utukku, they are listed as having a long forgotten patron that was destroyed by the enduk's Immortal.

This brings up a few questions for a BC 2300 campaign:

1) The enduk's patron is Ixion. Who would the Immortal patron of the utukku be? Some long forgotten Entropic that Ixion managed to destroy? Could that Immortal still be alive and active in BC 2300?

2) Could some group of utukku exist on Davania that would be causing Gildesh trouble at this point in time?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew »

Chimpman wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:28 pm
1) The enduk's patron is Ixion. Who would the Immortal patron of the utukku be? Some long forgotten Entropic that Ixion managed to destroy? Could that Immortal still be alive and active in BC 2300?
The first idea that comes to mind is the one that always seems pre-eminent when referring to lost/dead/missing Immortals, and that is Arik. Kind of too easy a suggestion, perhaps but consider the following:

1) The Utukku are described as hailing from Carceri, which is also called the Red Prison or the Great Cage, and is considered one of the strongest prison planes in all of creation.
2) The description of Carceri from Planescape's Planes of Conflict:

"Carceri's made of six nested layers, resembling nothing so much as the tiny puzzle dolls made by itinerant craftsmen... Each of [its] layers is made up of orbs that stretch off into the night like a string of malignant pearls... [t]he inhospitable layers radiate a dull anger vaster than any mortal could imagine... [a] ruddy cast covers everything as though the entire plane were seen through blood-tinted lenses."

3) Arik's epithet is "of the Hundred Eyes." What is another name for eye? Orb.

4) Arik is described as having been banished to a prison dimension centuries ago, and one of his followers manages to find one of his "eyes" (ruby-colored) with which to try and free him in the Green cover version of Palace of the Silver Princess.

Perhaps Arik was banished to Carceri- or even more ominously- is Carceri itself!!!
Last edited by Cthulhudrew on Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew »

Duplicate post. Ignore.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:13 am
Chimpman wrote:
The first idea that comes to mind is the one that always seems pre-eminent when referring to lost/dead/missing Immortals, and that is Arik. Kind of too easy a suggestion, perhaps but consider the following:
Yes! Arik did immediately come to mind :D

I like the idea of Arik maybe starting out as an Immortal, but then perhaps becoming something else. Something even other Immortals may have deemed dangerous. Perhaps a transformation into an Outer Being, or transcending to a "Dark" Old One. Maybe Ixion only believed that he had killed his enemy, but instead Arik used his own "death" as a kind of Immortal level Ceremony of Sublimation becoming something else entirely.

I also really love the thought that perhaps Arik merged with an Outer Plane, even becoming the plane of Carceri! That is a brilliant idea. If that is the case then utukku may actually be a direct extension of Arik himself.

Fast forwarding back to the modern era, what was the name of that Mystery Immortal that started appearing around the time of WotI? [EDIT: Was it Gareth?] Could that also be another identity of Arik? (I'm positive folks have discussed that possibility on these boards before).
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew »

Benekander is the Immortal you are thinking of. :D

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:43 pm
Benekander is the Immortal you are thinking of. :D
:lol:

Although, now that you mention it... Arik as Benekander... the idea has some merit :twisted:
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:13 am
Chimpman wrote:

1) The Utukku are described as hailing from Carceri, which is also called the Red Prison or the Great Cage, and is considered one of the strongest prison planes in all of creation.
2) The description of Carceri from Planescape's Planes of Conflict:

"Carceri's made of six nested layers, resembling nothing so much as the tiny puzzle dolls made by itinerant craftsmen... Each of [its] layers is made up of orbs that stretch off into the night like a string of malignant pearls... [t]he inhospitable layers radiate a dull anger vaster than any mortal could imagine... [a] ruddy cast covers everything as though the entire plane were seen through blood-tinted lenses."

3) Arik's epithet is "of the Hundred Eyes." What is another name for eye? Orb.

4) Arik is described as having been banished to a prison dimension centuries ago, and one of his followers manages to find one of his "eyes" (ruby-colored) with which to try and free him in the Green cover version of Palace of the Silver Princess.

Perhaps Arik was banished to Carceri- or even more ominously- is Carceri itself!!!
Fascinating!

I have been curious about the Utukku myself. When I first read this, I thought to myself that it might be an opportunity missed to use Arik rather than a new Immortal we could create. However, I am now liking the idea more. I think by using Arik the Utukku become more closely tied to Mystara. The Savage Coast Monstrous Compendium Appendix states that Utukku can planeshift to the Prime Plane, but I think it would be more interesting if they can only Planeshift to Mystara. Their dedication to cause as much harm as possible on Mystara could be form revenge by Arik or at least an expression of his rage.

I speculated that there could be some connections between the Utukku, Navareezan Fiends and Death Leeches in this thread.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “2300 BC”