[Think Tank] Mystara 2300 meets Thorn's Mystara

Rebuilding the world in the wake of the Great Rain of Fire.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: [Think Tank] Mystara 2300 meets Thorn's Mystara

Post by Chimpman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:20 pm

:P
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:58 pm

I'm just starting to have some random thoughts about Taymora and Thorn's Mystara. One of the major historical events is the Taymorans migrating to the southern coast of Brun. In the BC 2300 timelines I've tied that into a conflict between Tayma (and her nosferatu/vampire followers) and the shadow dragons/giants (led by Ghaeranatos).

So I'm thinking that Tayma and her followers fled to southern Brun in search of some artifact that would help them win their battle with the night dragons. My first thought is that her Thonian heritage would have left her with stories of Blackmoorian outposts in the area (ie the Lost Valley), and that she hoped to find artifacts there to aid her in her cause.

Did she find what she was looking for? Did she find everything there was to find? Was she close to finding something really important when her daughters imprisoned her? These are questions that are begging for adventures to be written about them. :twisted:
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:25 pm

Chimpman wrote:I'm just starting to have some random thoughts about Taymora and Thorn's Mystara. One of the major historical events is the Taymorans migrating to the southern coast of Brun. In the BC 2300 timelines I've tied that into a conflict between Tayma (and her nosferatu/vampire followers) and the shadow dragons/giants (led by Ghaeranatos).

So I'm thinking that Tayma and her followers fled to southern Brun in search of some artifact that would help them win their battle with the night dragons. My first thought is that her Thonian heritage would have left her with stories of Blackmoorian outposts in the area (ie the Lost Valley), and that she hoped to find artifacts there to aid her in her cause.

Did she find what she was looking for? Did she find everything there was to find? Was she close to finding something really important when her daughters imprisoned her? These are questions that are begging for adventures to be written about them. :twisted:
Perhaps she found more than she bargained for, thus, her imprisonment...?
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:17 am

RobJN wrote:Perhaps she found more than she bargained for, thus, her imprisonment...?
:ugeek: Quite.

But... just for the sake of curiosity... what kind of havoc could the Original Nosferatu wreak if she found herself in control of a Well of Souls?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:24 am

Chimpman wrote:
RobJN wrote:Perhaps she found more than she bargained for, thus, her imprisonment...?
:ugeek: Quite.

But... just for the sake of curiosity... what kind of havoc could the Original Nosferatu wreak if she found herself in control of a Well of Souls?
Hmm, perhaps a side by side comparison of the powers, to see if any match up...
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:56 pm

Rob put me on to some Mystara content on youtube (created by Mr. Welch). For more info see here.
RobJN wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:15 pm
So, one of the newer of TheGlen's installments on the Archfey of Mystara was pretty good. Its really given me some ideas to chew on in relation to my iteration of the fey of Thorn's Mystara -- especially in regards to the Blackmoor Empire's actions taken in the centuries prior to the Great Rain of Fire (that those playing in the Throne of Stars will know about), and how things shake out in the aftermath of said cataclysm.
I like this take because it really creates a distinction between how Immortals and Fey exist/operate. Mortals play a critical role in both cases. Immortals must be worshiped and their power levels in some way depend upon the amount of mortal worshipers that they have. However Immortals often take on multiple personas, and many times those personas change depending upon who the Immortal's target culture is. That doesn't affect the Immortal themselves.

For Fey it would be different. As mortal cultures begin to remember and think about Fey in different ways that can actually alter the persona of the Fey being remembered. So you could get into some very nasty feedback loops here, where the Fey does something bad (perhaps out of character for them) and then slowly they are morphed into something else. If mortals begin to tell tales of an evil fey that torments them, then that fey will become more evil and create more torment...

It's an interesting concept.
RobJN wrote:Is the Troll Queen's rise to power and transformation due (in part, at any rate) to the twisting of her Legend..? Perhaps due to a coordinated misinformation campaign at the hands of the Vampire Queens of Taymora..?
This could very well happen, maybe during the Taymoran era, but also after Taymor falls (especially if any surviving Vampire Queens are the vindictive type ;) ). Yidadnh is the one who comes foremost to mind. She would have been close to the Troll Queen at some point, even an erstwhile member of the Troll Queen's Court, but I never saw her as loyal to anyone but herself. In fact she may actually be trying to usurp the TQ and assume her powers.

I've also got an idea in the back of my head that for some reason (still to be fleshed out), the TQ is obsessed with the "Blood of Andahar". I've got this potential plot going where she wants to find the perfect heir to Uther Andahar so that she can actually and ultimately resurrect him. This is the underlying cause for the "changeling project" where the TQ's minions go out and exchange mortal babies for fey dopplegangers. Although this endeavor may have started out as altruistic, it has definitely morphed into something a bit more sinister over time. Again, that could be the result of the TQ's actions causing mortals to perceive her in a darker light, which in turn causes her to perform darker and darker acts, which in turn cause worse stories to be told... Vicious cycle.

:twisted:
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:19 pm

:twisted:
Rob

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:23 pm

Vinimagus just posted a cool idea about Emerald Knights in Mystara in this thread: Crystals of Power; Darabisoz; the Emerald Knights.

It of course immediately made me think of the Troll Queen.

I really like the idea of the Dymrak Emerald being a sort of fey clan relic.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Return to “2300 BC”