The Karameikos PbP, The Mistery of the Mirror (IC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: The Karameikos PbP, The Mistery of the Mirror (IC thread)

Post by agathokles » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:58 pm

Anybody is good with raftmaking? asks Lucius, while in his mind cursing the guides for not mentioning the possibility to get here by ship.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:25 pm

Westron road, Blight Swamp
Scene LIII - Hwyrlen, Flaurmont 14th day, 993 AC

"We can certainly build some rafts and cross the river by tomorrow", Retameron says.
"The ghost said there are hydras in the river", Kesh says.
"We can certainly face it. Me and Retameron can keep it busy if it shows up and you will cross", Halia says.
"I would try ask for the help of the hobgoblins, they certainly have already built boats. Not to expose ourselves too much, we could send a small group to see if it is possible to parley with them", Sam says.
"If you camp south in front of their village, they will probably come", Shuur the guide says.
"We do not need help, we certainly can cross a river and face any creature living inside it", Arteris says.
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:03 pm

Kesh used plural, like there are many hydras in river. And I doubt if you two can handle even one hydra. I hate myself for saying this but I think we could use the help of hobgoblins here...

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu May 02, 2019 4:00 pm

"Nonsense. We certainly can handle one hydra or more", Arteris replies, rather sulky.
Retameron, Halia and Fain Flinn readily support her.
This start a sort of argument with Desmond, who supports Bofar's proposal.
Retameron and Arteris however are adamant they will build rafts and cross the river.
Eventually Desmond let it go for the moment, postponing the issue to the day after. Later, he comes to speak to Kesh, Sam, Bofar and Lucius.
"I've told this already to Alexei and my knights, those who entered that strange black patch have come out a bit strangely enthusiastic from it. Alexei and Sara says it's a sort of blessing, but they're acting a bit like overeager adventurers. I worry if they will get us all in danger.."

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu May 02, 2019 4:45 pm

Lucius fully agrees with Desmond.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Thu May 02, 2019 9:20 pm

Overconfident and reckless are words I would use. But what can we do about it?

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri May 03, 2019 2:38 pm

"Indeed, I propose some of us stay here and try to hinder their fool plan of raft incospicously, while two or three volunteers go try to parley with the hobgoblins to obtain a proper boat from them at least, and maybe advice on how to avoid the hydras, agreed? Anyone willing to go talk to hobgoblins? Probably the trog guide will help", Desmond says.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Fri May 03, 2019 4:57 pm

I do not know what kind of hobgoblins live here but I think that a dwarf might not be a best possible negotiator...

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri May 03, 2019 7:36 pm

I do not have any expertise with hobgoblins, either.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon May 06, 2019 2:53 pm

Scene LIII - Hwyrlen, Flaurmont 14-15th day, 993 AC

Then you stay here with me and try to hinder this foolish plan of rafts. Alexei, Sara, Ludovico and Sam will try to parley with the local hobgoblins, guided by Shuur.
After another tense night with double guards at the camp, in the early morning Retameron, Halia, Cardia, Arteris, Fain, Keio, Sharlaya, Taran and Bellithiel start enthusiastically to build better rafts, while joning among themselves about 'a good fight with some hydras'.
Desmond send the others away with the excuse of searching for drier wood, then whispers to you and Kesh. "Now, let's sabotage some rafts!".

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue May 07, 2019 8:40 am

Lucius starts working on it.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Tue May 07, 2019 9:17 am

Bofar will act as a helpful but totally useless assistant meddling and messing with everything.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue May 07, 2019 10:08 am

Scene LIV - Hwyrlen, Flaurmont 15th day, 993 AC

Lucius, Bofar and Kesh try to help eagerly, hindering the work as much as possible. Kesh also animates some wood, destroying 'by mistake' a nearly finished draft. Retameron and the other are not annoyed by this at all. They laugh, joke and take it easy. While Retameron, Halia and Cardia are not normally somber people, they seem more jolly than usual, and the same goes for Taran and Bellithiel, whom you know as grave and intense people, and now seem instead merry and carefree. The contrast is even more sharp for Arteris, Fain, Keio and Sharlaya, whom you never saw smile and laugh, much less joke, until the last hours.
Midday comes before the rafts are at a good stage, and by that time you see two very big canoes coming from the other side of the river. The canoes are occupied by Shuur, Alexei, Sara, Ludovico and Sam with several hobgoblins.
As soon as they touch ground, Shuur explain you can cross the river on the canoes. The hobgoblins have also brought a big pig.
"This is the offer for the hydras. They will go for the easy prey", Shuur says.
Desmond is quick to approve the plan and Retameron and the others just shrug, smiling, not annoyed at all by the time lost on the rafts.
You bring what you can with you anyway, as any floating device can always be useful in the swamp.
You all get in the canoes and leave the poor pig on one raft. When you are mid river, a very big greenish creature with seven dragon heads comes out of the water, launching its fanged mouths toward the screaming pig.
"Oh I really wanted to fight an hydra. Maybe we should send some welcome arrows to it", Retameron says. Taran and Bellithiel laughs and ready their bows.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Tue May 07, 2019 12:34 pm

You should not disturb anyone when eating. Maybe you'll just wait for a while.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue May 07, 2019 2:57 pm

Lucius clumsily maneuvers on the canoe, in the hope of compromising the stability of the two archers.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed May 08, 2019 10:32 am

The distractions provided by Bofar and Lucius and a question from Desmond are enough to stall the two elves until the hydra goes back underwater. By then you have reached the shore. Retameron and the others joke they will kill an hydra next time you have to cross the river.
The hobgoblin village of Silnithiniv is formed by interconnected longhouses supported above the waters by an assortment of cut log pylons and trees. Many hobgoblins, male, females and child, come forth to see you, leaving their activities mostly involving fish, snakes, eggs, wood and algae.
A group of elders, males and females, then comes to speak to you, mostly with Shuur in a language you do not understand.
"They say you have permission from the Black Lord to travel the swamp, so they can sell you some canoes or you can wait for the human big canoe which sail the river, and which should arrive within these days", Shuur says.
Desmond asks for more informations about this human and learns from Shuur and the hobgoblin he would be a trader named Mirko Novaicov whom the dragons leave be, and who tries to have good trading relations with all the inhabitants of the swamp.
"I say we go alone with the canoes, a fun adventure", Retameron says, eagerly supported by Halia, Arteris' group and the elves.
"Travel with this human could be safer, but we will have to wait for him. Also, he is probably some sort of pirate", Desmond says.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed May 08, 2019 3:50 pm

Yes, we don't exactly know what this trader trades in... I doubt a legitimate merchant would do business in this swamp.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Wed May 08, 2019 5:12 pm

I'd like to travel with a bigger vessel than canoe but on the other hand I'd like to leave this place as soon as possible...

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu May 09, 2019 3:47 pm

"Well as our now enthusiastic companions also prefer canoes, let's go with it and hope for the best", Desmond says.
He then discuss a lot about the Rosentos' map with Shuur and the hobgoblins, while you rest in the village. Retameron and the others are extremely friendly with the hobgoblins, donating and exchanging items with them.
Eventually you leave the village with four big canoes, Shuur and an hobgoblin guide, a warrior, who will lead you to the next village.
You take a side river from Silnithiniv going north west and before the evening falls you reach a small settlement on the shore. The main inhabitants seems to be caymen, but you also see a new impressive creature, gatormen almost 8 feet tall, and armed.
"Shuur says we are in gatormen territory now. Near here there is a trading hub named Shizash. It's a three miles walk, but we will have to sleep here and continue next morning", Desmond says.
The gatormen are clearly suspicious of you, but Shuur and the hobgoblin apparently persuade them to let you camp near the small settlement.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Thu May 09, 2019 3:55 pm

I hate ogres and I think ogre-sized lizardmen are no better, Bofar says in low voice when first seeing the gatormen.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri May 10, 2019 3:19 pm

Scene LV - Hwyrlen, Flaurmont 15-16th day, 993 AC

"At least near a settlement of swamp folks we should not have bad surprises at night", Sam says.
Retameron and the others instead joke they would have liked some 'night action'.
But the night is indeed devoid of events and attacks. Next morning however you have to reach the trading hub of Shizash and then start a treacherous swamp trail to the north west to follow Desmond's map. The hobgoblin guide leaves you now, bringing back the canoes. The first part, for just three miles, is completed without surprises.
Shizash is a busy place full of gatormen, caymen, troglodytes and a few lizardmen trading. You obviously stand out among them, but clearly they have seen humans and demihumans before. After a quick meal, you leave the place, navigating through marshes, pools, streams and quicksands as usual, helped by Shuur and much caution. In the afternoon at one point you see big plants with giant leaves, from which comes a pleasant scent and a soft, warming light.
"Such beautiful plants!", Halia says, approaching them. Shuur however seems worried and immediately warns to stay away from them.
Last edited by Sturm on Wed May 15, 2019 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Fri May 10, 2019 3:26 pm

Bofar tries to grab Halia away from the plants.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed May 15, 2019 11:22 am

Scene LV - Hwyrlen, Flaurmont 16th day, 993 AC

Bofar keeps Halia away from the plants, and Sam does the same with Retameron. Others were approaching the plants, apparently mesmerized by them, but Desmond and the others which were not affected manage to push them back.
Suddenly the big leaves of the plants snap, trying to grab someone who is nearer, but fortunately no one is near enough to be grabbed. Shuur urges all to go away, and Halia and the others regain their senses, realizing the danger.
"Another interesting creature of the swamp", Kesh says.
You are not much far away from this encounter with the plants when you see many figures sin front of you, then at the sides and behind. At least 30 figures are surrounding you. Retameron and Arteris are ready to take their swords, but Desmond manages to halt them.
The approaching figures are heavily armed gatormen, and one in the front comes to speak to Shuur.
The troglodyte listen and says something back, then speaks to you.
"The Lord of the Swamp wishes to meet you. It is an invite you cannot refuse", he says.
"Why not? we should see if these gatormen are as sturdy as they look", Retameron laughs. Arteris, Keio, Sharllaya and Fain nods happily, as Halia, Cardia, Taran and Bellithiel.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed May 15, 2019 1:32 pm

Will this ever end? sighs Lucius.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri May 17, 2019 2:46 pm

Scene LV - Hwyrlen, Flaurmont 16th day, 993 AC

"Let's be cautious and go meeting this mysterious Lord, we can always fight him and his minions later", Desmond says, smiling.
This seems enough to persuade Retameron and Arteris, who follow Shuur and the gatormen as requested.
You soon see a big hill ahead, surrounded by a small lake and overgrown with trees. The gatormen and Shuur direct you to get on some big rafts, and then maneuver them with poles, toward the hill. After a while you see a big natural cavern which was partially hidden by the vegetation and a rock formation of the hill itself.
You enter this cave to find a beach, lighted from above by a skyhole, in a cavern which is very large, at least 90 feet across, and ends to a big passage which is more than 30 feet wide.
The gatormen go near that entrance and stop by its sides, and Shuur does the same.
After a while you hear a slithering noise, and realize something is coming from the passage in front of you, then you see it. A big black dragon at least 30 feet tall appears, stopping almost immediately after entering.
"Welcome to my swamp, visitors. I am Vulomar, the one who rules it as Lady of the Swamp", the dragon says in nearly perfect Thyatian.

Return to “The Crystal Globe”