Dungeon from a Distant Star [Blackmoor/Solo]

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.
Post Reply
User avatar
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:33 am
Gender: male
Contact:

Dungeon from a Distant Star [Blackmoor/Solo]

Post by Boddynock » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:16 pm

Preamble: Since the face-to-face tabletop group in my area broke up, I've been hungry to game. PbP is nice, the thing is, I don't quite get a chance to roll my dice the way I like. Discord gaming is also an idea I'd like to entertain sometime in the future, but for now, we're going to be doing a solo game.

Blackmoor #1 - The Dungeon from a Distant Star

Once upon a time, in The North!

Overlooking the vast stretch of the cold morass that was the Great Dismal Swamp was the stony towers and high curtain walls of Vestfold. A soft sheen of ice covered the arched roofs and the tops of watchtowers that were attached at the corners of the great city. The haggard men and women who worked those night watches had to take great care not to freeze to death, stay close to the fire, and hope that the enemies of peace were likewise too frozen to carry out their threats of destruction. Moonlight came in thin strips as storm clouds blew south from Skandharia North. An angry wind, whose clouds were always black or deep gray. The most merciful of these clouds only brought snow, while the most terrible clouds lashed the North with pronged lightning that could start a fire or strike a man dead followed by rolling thunder that could foundations and cause houses to tumble. It was in this environment where no one wanted to do anything but sit, eat, and drink that our characters come into the story.

"Alright, alright. Standard five-card Thonian. Fools are in the deck, fools are in the deck. The fool is wild, but he never beats a pure hand that meets or outranks him," Ichabod Westlake tossed cards at his table while sitting in the Belching Toad. The Toad, as it was so called by adventurers and travelers, was an average quality inn that had a stout roof against rain or snow, plenty of firewood for the hearth, and drinks that tasted fine, but very little fancy fair. It was a time very much for a man like Ichabod Westlake, a Human of average Thonian stock. His hair was treebark brown with a thin mustache and enough stubble that he looked grizzled without being shaggy. He had an athletic build that suggested he either knew how to run well or swim well. The party was playing with his card set.

Looking at his cards Ichabod has a King Spade, King Heart, 6 Diamond, Ace Heart, Queen Spade

"I'll open up for five dragons," He said, tossing five gold pieces upon the table. He sifted through his cards, keeping the others in peripheral sight to see how they would react to his bet. He also threw in a card and drew another. The 9 of Diamonds, which offered no help.

"I'll throw in for five," Desta Noth replied. The Peshwah had a pair of keen green eyes that flicked over her card before she raised her head and looked over the others, like a bird of prey measuring which small frightened animal she could swoop on first. She also had an athletic build and stood a few inches taller than the Thonian. Her skin was a deep bronze with hair the color of ripe juniper berries, a very dark blue or black, cut short so that her opponent could not catch her like so many unfortunate fair maidens. Though she was a fighter, her physical build emphasized speed over muscle mass, which was traditional for even male Peshwah as they were a people of swift horses, not monstrous destriers of the Thonian heavy cavalry. She sported the following in her hand:

Jack Heart, Jack Spade, Joker, 8 Diamond, 9 Spade

She threw in 9 and 8 to draw a 6 and another Joker. An unclean 4-of-a-kind that could win if nobody had a cleaner version of a four or better.

"I'll throw in," Kothkar rumbled. He tossed his coins upon the table which clinked against its fellow dragon stamped coins and thudded on the hard wooden table. It would have drawn more attention as a disruption if the din of the room was not so lively with tradesmen, off-duty guards, and adventurers between work. Not that Kothkar meaned to disrupt to seem like he was disgruntled, it was just the way of Dragonborn that anything they did was loud.

Kothkar of Cerulean Scales sat hunched in his chair, even hunched he was taller than either Westlake or Noth. As a Dragonborn, he had a long flat head that ended in a pair of nostrils at the end of his muzzle and a small point to his nose. His skin was hardened dragonscales that, as his name suggested, was a light blue with a touch of gray towards the center. In certain moods, such as anger or nerves, a touch of red would bloom towards the surface and give the scales a more purple hue. His eyes were gold, with elongated black pupils that were as thin as needles. He tilted his head and looked at his cards. Which were:

9 Hearts, 6 Clubs, Queen Clubs, Jack Clubs, King Spade. When he tossed in a single card he was dubiously rewarded with an Ace of Spades. He huffed, and as he huffed a soft hiss of gathering static could be heard, drawing stares from the others in the party. Kothkar took a moment to clean his eyes. Lacking lids to blink, a near translucent membrane briefly clouded his yellow eyes before they appeared normal again. He kept his card close while he muttered an apology if he had caused an alarm with his gathering breath.

The last who tossed her cards in immediately without throwing money in was Bekka Threesorrows, "You'll forgive me if I go ahead and fold."

"Five too much action for you to handle?" Westlake asked he used his free hand to gather the discarded cards into a neat pile.

"I'm not interested in gambling," she said. She cupped her deep olive jaw in her right hand while she looked over the small nails of her left hand. The last of the party, the Witch, as was whispered behind her back, was a Docrae woman whose face was often framed by her slick black hair that ended small, evenly spaced points. Her eyes were hardened brown with flecks of purple, a hint of the energies she worked with. She often wore dresses or robes lined in animal hides of wild dogs or deerskin. With the winter settling in the region she went with heavier wolfskins that she could bundle around her form. When the plump figured, red-haired barmaid approached the table to offer service, Bekka was the first to gingerly lift her empty glass and place it on the serving tray, "I'd like another, please. A good red to wash down my bread and meat pie."

"Sorry love, just ale an' barley whiskey is what the house offers," The Barmaid said.

"Then give me another whiskey, I don't think we're going too far tonight," Bekka said and consoled herself that the barley whiskey had the smoky taste of age to it. She leaned back in her chair and looked on.

"I'll meet five and raise five more," Ichabod said as he threw in the coins. His drink order continued to be mulled ale that tasted pleasant when coupled with the hearth at his backside.

"I'll meet. I also call, Westlake," Noth replied as money was thrown into the pot. The pot had now grown to 35 Gold Dragons. A small pot, but it was to be a friendly game between party members and not a high-stakes gambling event. Yet, despite the paltry amount, Kothkar tossed his cards away and said, "Fold," He also ordered the tea. The only non-alcoholic drink in the group as even Desta ordered her another ale. Now the action was between Desta and Ichabod. He was being called, and thus revealed his hand with his two kings. His victorious grin was snatched at the end when she laid her cards down.

"Jokers and Jacks, that become a famous hand yet amongst you Thonians?" She asked as she pulled the money close to her side.

"I'd just call it a lucky hand myself," Ichabod mumbled. He took up the stein that the barmaid had brought him after a sojourn to the bar across the way. After losing such a hand, he needed the drink to soothe his wounded Rogue pride.

"We playing again?" Desta asked between sips of her drink. In response, she received in short order no, no thank-you, and another no, but with a rougher voice due to Kothkar's bestial growl of a voice. "Well then, if we're done playing, might as well get on with why you've called us here, Westlake."

Ichabod leaned forward towards the table with both hands folded in front of him. His voice dropped to a careful whisper, which the others took that he either had a hot tip, or he was trying to sell a mediocre tip by pretending to be so paranoid. He said, his voice was couched in a quiet tone, "I happen to be casing the Vestfold observatory and I heard them discussing a new falling object had struck Blackmoor. This could be our chance to get our hands, you know what I'm talking about, I'm talking about getting our hands on some of those magic devices that have been popping up among the froggies."

"You mean going into the Dismal on the off-chance for trinkets?" Kothkar question was followed by a derisive snort. He leaned back and said, "I was hoping you had a contract or a contact of someone who was paying for escorts. There's not even a treasure map involved," He said.

"We don't need a treasure map. I saw the area it crashed in. It'd be a day and a half walk for us, even faster if we stop only for light food, but think about it. The last group to recover some of these items were made very rich for their trouble. That could be us, trading in dead people's relics for money," Ichabod grinned and said, "Besides, it's cold, and nobody wants to leave their holds or camps. What else are we going to do besides spend money on inn rooms and full meals?" He asked with palms out and a slight nod to his head. He wanted to convey the energy that he was right in pushing this course of action and hoped the others to pick on that same wavelength. The others looked around and in slow order and agreed with nods and few words.

Ichabod smiled and raised his stein, "Excellent! To our continued success as, well, did we have a group name yet?"

After a moment of silence, Ichabod said, "To the Company of Title Pending." He clinked drinks with the others.
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

User avatar
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:33 am
Gender: male
Contact:

DfaDS [Cast]

Post by Boddynock » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:23 pm

Note: - For my first solo outing the engine was made generally using a Searchers of the Unknown Clone called '1974 Style' with some added assistance from a game called: 'Here's Some F&$@*&$#G D&D!'

The Cast

Ichabod Westlake

Race: Human (Thonian) / Class: Rogue (3)

Action Bonus: +3 / HP: 19 / AC: 12 (Leather) / MV: 9

Cutter +1: Attk: +4, D: 1d6+1
Dagger: D: 1d4
Light Crossbow: D: 1d8, R: Far, RoF: 1

Gear: Backpack, Canteen, Rations, Torches (x3), Oil (x3), Thieves' Tools, Rope, Grappling Hook, Deck of Cards / Wealth: 200 GP

Saving Throw: 17 / ST: Modifiers: +3 vs. Dodge Saves.

Traits: Human (1/day): Normal movement. Normal vision. Once per day a Human may roll a d20 twice and take the better of the two rolls. Requires a Long Rest to recharge.

Stealthy: +4 to Stealth Checks.

Sneak Attack: When striking with surprise, a Rogue deals x3 their normal damage.

*****

Desta Noth

Race: Human (Peshwah) / Class: Fighter (3)

Action Bonus: +3 / HP: 19 / AC: 16 (+1 Chainmail; Shield) / MV: 5

Scimitar: D: 1d8
Bow: D: 1d6, R: Near, RoF: 2

Gear: Backpack, Rations, Torches (x3), Oil (x2), Rope, Canteen / Wealth: 80 GP

Saving Throw: 17 / ST Modifier: +3 vs. Physical

Traits: Human (1/day): Normal movement. Normal vision. Once per day a Human may roll a d20 twice and take the better of the two rolls. Requires a Long Rest to recharge.

Combatant (Offensive / Defensive): At the start of each Combat Round a Fighter may elect to fight Offensively or Defensively. If they fight Offensively they gain a +1 bonus to their Attack Rolls on all weapon attacks. If they choose Defensively they add +1 to their Armor Class.

Stunt-person: +1 to any Stunt the Fighter attempts (jumping, swimming, swinging from a vine)

****

Kothkar of Cerulean Scales (Kothkar)

Race: Dragonborn (Blue) / Class: Sorcerer (3)

Action Bonus: +3 / HP: 15 / AC: 11 (Robes + Scales) / MV: 12

Dagger (x2): D: 1d4
Light Crossbow: D: 1d8, R: Far, RoF: 1
Lightning Bolt: D: 1d8, R: Near, RoF: 1

Gear: Backpack, Canteen, Rations, Lantern, Oil (x3), Game (Set of Drakes), Inkpen, Ink, Spellbook, Journal / Wealth: 120 GP

Saving Throw: 17 / ST: Modifiers: +3 vs. Will Saves.

Traits: Dragonborn (1 + Recharge 6 on d6): Normal size. Darkvision. Normal movement. +1 AC due to scales. Once per day a Dragonborn may make a Breath Attack (Lightning Bolt) against a Near target for 1d8 damage. Every round after the first use requires a 6 on a d6 to recharge. Breath automatically recharges on a Short Rest.

Magic: Uses per Day: 5

Detect Magic (R: Sight, D: 3 Mins, Save: None): Detects spells and magic items within the sight of the caster (60 ft.). The spell merely detects the magic and requires a Lore (Arcana) check to decipher the specifics.

Light (R: Touch, D: 30 Mins, Save: None): Object touched glows like a torch for the duration of the spell. The color is up to the caster and can include Polar Blue, Mint Green, Passionate Red, Prismatic Purple, or Sunlight Yellow. No matter the color, the Light never loses illumination.

Mage Hand (R: Near, D: 3 Rounds, Save: Possible): Has 5-pound telekinesis for 3 rounds. Objects unattended automatically move while objects attended by a sentient being get a Saving Throw to continue holding onto their item (this is considered a Dodge Save for the purposes of Modifiers).

Magic Missile (R: Far, D: Instant, Save: None): Fires silver colored arcane darts that deal 1d6+1 per dart. Every 2 levels the Caster gains another dart that can target the same victim or fired at a different victim. Current dart total is: 2

Shocking Grasp (R: Touch, D: Instant, Save: None): Touch Attack that delivers 3d6 points of damage (maximum is 5d6 at 5th). Targets who are wearing predominately metal (Chainmail, Plate) offer the caster an Advantage to their touch attack.

****

Becca Threesorrows

Race: Halfling (Docrae) / Class: Witch (3)

Action Bonus: +3 / HP: 11 / AC: 13 (Leather) / Movement: 9

Dagger: D: 1d4, R: Thrown
Sling: Attk: +4, D: 1d4, R: Thrown, RoF: 2
Staff: D: 1d6, Special: Reach

Gear: Backpack, Rations, Holy Symbol (Holly), Oil (x2), Torch (x3), Inkpen, Ink, Scroll Case, Scrolls (x3), Journal / Wealth: 90 GP

Saving Throw: 17 / ST Modifiers: Will +3

Traits: Halfling, Docrae (1/day): Small Size. Slow Movement. Normal Vision. +1 Attack with Thrown Weapons. Once per day may re-roll a Save vs. Fear, Stealth, or Sling attack of their choice. This requires a Short Rest to recharge.

Short Stature: +2 to Stealth, +1 Armor Class, Disadvantage on Feats of Strength (Lifting, pushing)

Magic (Witch): Uses Per Day: 4

Charm Person (R: Near, D: 3 Hours, Save: Negates): Target creature is charmed to regard caster as their friend. Said creature will serve the caster to the best of its abilities, even fighting its one time friends and allies to protect the caster. Orders that lead to outright destruction (such as a command to jump off a cliff) will automatically break the spell.

Cure Wounds (R: Touch, D: Instant, Save: ½ Damage): Cure target 2d8+3 Hit Points. Target Undead is hurt when touched by this spell and may make a save for ½ damage.

Detect Magic (R: Sight, D: 3 Mins, Save: None): Detects spells and magic items within the sight of the caster (60 ft.). The spell merely detects the magic and requires a Lore (Arcana) check to decipher the specifics.

Gust of Wind (R: Near, D: Instant, Save: Negates): Creates a sudden vortex that automatically knocks 1HD or less creatures prone. Creatures at or below Caster's level (but are not 1 HD) may make a Save to negate. Non-magical flames are snuffed out.

Stone Stone/Wood (R: Touch, D: 3 Rounds/3 Cubic Feet/ Save: None): Witch shapes stone or wood how she sees fit.

Tree Shape (R: Self, D: 3 Hours, Save: None): Caster takes the form of a tree native to the area she currently is in. She can do nothing else but remain in tree form, but she can return to normal self as a free action at anytime.
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

User avatar
RobJN
Dire Flumph
Posts: 4260
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 10:33 pm
Gender: male
Location: Texas, USA
Contact:

Re: Dungeon from a Distant Star [Blackmoor/Solo]

Post by RobJN » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:18 pm

I started something like this, a while back. That project turns 10 years old this Christmas.

Does this ride come with a seatbelt? :D
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

User avatar
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:33 am
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Dungeon from a Distant Star [Blackmoor/Solo]

Post by Boddynock » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:08 pm

I actually have a solo blog but I wanted to try a different venue besides blogger. So, here we are.
RobJN wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:18 pm
Does this ride come with a seatbelt?
Without tipping my hand too much, let's just say the cart's hand bar has been lowered for your safety.
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

User avatar
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:33 am
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Dungeon from a Distant Star [Blackmoor/Solo]

Post by Boddynock » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:43 am

<GM's Note: Whenever I deal in die rolls or GM commentary, you'll typically see it done through a combination of blue font and between these brackets>


Day 1

<Weather Chart ChecK: 6 = Overcast day

It's morning in Vestfold. The party is up at dawn, though most of them are running at the half-awake speed until coffee is ordered and the party stumbles out into the streets of a gray Vestfold morning.

<Did it snow last night? 75% Yes results in 50%>

It appeared the street urchins had a chance to make a good deal of money, though they often raked penny wyverns and silver drakes for sweeping dung out of gentlemen's path. The new business keeping heaps of snow packed out of the roads so that carriages and single riders could make use of the streets. A gentle tapping of piano keys hung in the air and mixed with the savory scent of spices and cinnamon. For the party, except for hardy stock like Threesorrows, most were heavily wrapped in furs and cloth, anything to hold back the cold. Of those desperate for warmth was Desta Noth whose Peshwah blood was a little too warm for the temperate-to-cold climate of the Dismal Swamp. Not only did she wear furs over her chain hauberk, but she had also covered herself in both a hood and scarf. Her green eyes were one of the few things visible.

"The trails are load, but muddy, so before we leave if anyone has anything they don't want caked with mud, better leave it now," Ichabod said, he himself wore his deep brown leather which born the scuff marks and niches that came with both age and use. A heavy fur cloak hung at his shoulder as he took to the streets of Vestfold. The rest of the party sufficiently bundled followed after him.

<Ichabod begins the day with a 'Direction Sense' check. He has no map, just a vague idea based on what he learned at the Vestfold Observatory. He is at a Disadvantage with an Action Bonus of +3. He rolls a 19 & 13 with 13+3 = 16. A very high success.

Life seemed to flow rather easy for the Company (to be named later), the mud was present, but not thick enough to swallow any one party member. The party spends most of the morning traversing an area that teems with a combination of wildlife, such as traveling birds heading south, foxes, otters, and marsh spiders. The temperature is cold enough to generally ward off the rigid back alligators.

Not all threats were wild, of course, plenty of insidious things lurked between the gaps of the great oaks with their moss curtains hanging from boughs or smaller black-barked cypress. The leaves had long since changed to their brilliant oranges or burning reds with most blown away, leaving claw-like branches to slap and scrape the weary traveler, adding to the drudgery of travel. Threats that presented, besides a dangerous werebeaver, came either as Goblinoids, who craved flesh where they could get it, or lowmen who served at the behest of their cultist masters.

For the average citizen of Vestfold, the danger of tripping on horse dung was as much excitement as they could ever want. For an adventurer in the cold, there was viewed a certain relief to combat. At least the blood would run hot.

The party moves in a general marching pattern. Ichabod is out front, then Desta, then Kothkar, and finally Bekka brings up the back.

<I roll to see if we have a random encounter for the morning-to-afternoon period. The area is well-traveled wilderness with a 1-in-8 chance to encounter something. The result is 6.>

"So, just what were you doing at the observatory?" Desta asked at Ichabod's shoulder.

After he answered 'what?' and she repeated her question, Ichabod answered: "Seemed like a good a place as any to case. Wizards and Sages always have valuable goods. Jewels, books, esoteric occult items." Ichabod slowed his walk so that he walk abreast with the Warrior. Conventional wisdom may have dictated they march in a line, but one could only look to convention for so long. Could the people who wrote those doctrines really expected five people to march in silence in a single file line? Then again, Ichabod reasoned, the writers may have been Dwarves. Dwarves, he knew from limited experience, could be stiflingly serious when it came to certain things, like marching.

"Isn't that girl you're sweet on a sage?" Desta asked with a side looked and a small smirk.

"So? I did mention I was planning to rob the observatory," He said. His voice was tight, he had allowed his unflappable charm to lift with Desta's verbal strike at his nerves.

She drove it further when she noted, "You know, I don't think you meant to steal anything from the observatory. Oh, I believe you snuck in, don't give me that like, but I get the feeling what you were sneaking around for wasn't for baubles or trinkets," She shook her head. Her guesses were stabs in the dark, but the way those soft warm beads were drawn from his brow, she knew she was on either a right path or near it. She pushed a little further, noting, "I'd say she planted the idea that you should come out here looking for whatever fell out of the sky."

"Yeah? Why do you think some woman could command me to risk my neck in the DIsmal to look at a piece of space trash?" He asked right before he caught his footing. A root seemingly sprang from nowhere to trip and send him to the ground. He already on the defensive against Desta, the idea of face down in a sprawl made him shudder inwardly.

"I don't think she commanded you to do anything, Ichabod Westlake," Desta noted, "I think she commented how 'swimmingly' or 'splendid' it would be if someone could bring her a sample of what fell from the sky," Desta's words at times came across with pompous inflections, her imitation of a courtly Thonian. Though, as Ichabod knew, the young woman of the Observatory was no mere girl nor was she a High Thonian. He let Desta's words roll off his shoulder.

A few steps behind, Bekka asked, "What do you think they're talking about?" She used her chin to indicate Desta and Ichabod. Kothkar grunted aloud and spoke tersely, "Blazes do I know, Bekka. Human stuff," The corners of his draconic lips curled into a sneer as he his heavy scaled feet squished into a heavy patch of mud that got between his toes. He knew he'd either need time in a hot water tub once he got back to civilization.

<It is now afternoon and the party advances further into the Dismal. At best, the trails are wild. For the most part there are few trails that can be found. Another 'Direction Sense' is made. Heading in the correct direction as calculated by the Sages of Vestfold, Ichabod rolls without penalty for a result of 4+3 = 7. It is below 10. The party is a little lost. While they will eventually find the right path, the party invokes 2 encounter checks. Each is a 1-in-6 chance. Results are 3 & 4>

By lunchtime, the party rests in one of the few dry sections of the forest. Another round is coffee brewed in the pot thanks to beans and water from the canteens. Lunchtime consisted of dry rations of nuts, berries, and jerky. As they ate Ichabod suffered at least two different death stares from Kothkar and Desta. Bekka had laid down for a nap after taking a few bites of food and a few sips of plain water.

"What?" Ichabod asked as he stared back the Dragonborn.

"I recognized at least two of those trees since we've been walking, Westlake," Kothkar grumbled.

"It's a forest, a lot of trees look alike," Ichabod raised his hands in exasperation.

"It's actually a swamp, we've just avoided the heavily wet areas. Also, I know they are the same ones, I knicked one with my claw in case I was separated and had to make my way out. I never thought I'd see my handiwork on the same day," Kothkar noted dryly. He poured the rest of burning coffee down his throat. A being who spewed lightning on a regular basis, Kothkar was not phased by the burning black liquid he slugged down his throat.

"Okay, we're maybe a little lost, but think of it like this. We've only recently met and you've said so little about yourself, Kothkar. What's Rodhin like?"

<Consulting the chart, does Kothkar wish to reveal any of his background? On one hand, he has joined the party and has pledged his life to the cause. On the other hand, he is grumpy. There is a 35% chance we learn a clue about Kothkar of Cerulean Scales. The result is 50%>

"I think I'm going to take a nap like Threesorrows, don't wake me unless it's as or more dangerous than a Human or a Hobgoblin," Kothkar wrapped his bedroll blanket around him and proceeded to nap the rest of luncheon away.

Ichabod's soft brown eyes met Desta's cool greens. He asked, "Want to tell me something I don't know about the Hak?"

"I dunno, you want to tell me what her name is?" Desta asked.

Ichabod thought about what to say and found the best answer was to mirror Kothkar and not play. He did not wish to embaress himself further on his first mission out with this party. He shook his head and said, "I'm going to patrol the area. Help yourself to the rest of the coffee."

Ichabod rose without another word and made sure his leather shoulders were warmed by his wolf pelts. He slipped from the camp to walk the daytime perimeter <Weather check again is a 6. Overcast>. Though he thought he could hear a distant rumble, little seemed to pass overhead. The skies continued on in a chalk white color, broken up by the stray gray cloud the hovered below the great veil pulled in front of the sun.

<A Secret Perception roll is made. Being a Rogue he is not treated as a Disadvantage and shows a 6+3 for 9 vs. 5. He is aware...

He heard a distinct snap of a tree limb that he may have passed off as a mere passing of an animal, except when he heard this snap it was also followed by a muted cussword. He slipped from the perimeter path that he was walking in. Instead, he hugged and slipped around or between the great trees of the forest. He depended on the motley of browns, grays, and dark greens to somewhat blend with his earth-tone cloak of pelts. While traveling the alternative path, avoiding roots, vine snares, and lashing bare limbs, he found himself behind a group of Humanoids wearing leathers and hoods. He maintained kept watch, curious as to why they were being stocked by ruffians.

<Stealth +7 with Advantage due to Cover vs. Notice with Advantage due to Group roll. Results are 15+7 = 22 vs. 19. A close one on Ichabod's part. The guards are certainly on alert from the small amount of noise he made. But it seemed like heads were turned towards the mostly sleeping party. He noticed the ruffian leader's hand raised to signal a strike...
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

User avatar
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:33 am
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Dungeon from a Distant Star [Blackmoor/Solo]

Post by Boddynock » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:06 pm

<When we begin we have 6 members of the Frog Cult who are preparing to ambush Desta, Kothkar, and Bekka as they nap from luncheon. Ichabod has so far managed to stay hidden and has spotted what may be the leader the ambush about to give the signal to begin. He attempts to intervene with a surprise attack. His Stealth is +4+3 level = 7. He is +7 and must beat his target and the target's associate in order to initiate a surprise attack. Ichabod's d20 roll is 18+7=25. 25 vs. 19 (d20+17+2) and 6 (d20+5+1). He has Sneak Attack chance with the Advantage as he is striking unseen. The attack roll is 15 vs. AC: 12. Hit! Ichabod throws his knife (1d4) x3 for a total of 6.>

The knife plunges into the back of the leader who tilts his head back and cries out in agony from the deep wound. Ichabod appears with his shortsword, cutter, drawn and readied. The cry rouses the party who can do little this turn but either fight where they lay or take an action to stand up. Meanwhile, three dirt tinged, road-hardened men emerge from the woods with clubs in hand. Truncheons made fine weapons either to brain someone to death or to take prisoners after a sound pounding. The three rush towards the party as the leader and his immediate subordinate turn to face Ichabod.

<ROUND ONE: initiative is drawn via a Card Deck. Black Suits > Red Suits. Whenever a tie occurs this write is encouraged to compare movement scores based on armor. Sneaky Classes are able to draw 2 cards and take the better of the two. Results are: GM: 5 Clubs, Ichabod: Queen Spades & Queen Clubs, Desta: Ace of Hearts, Kothkar: 5 Diamond, Bekka: 8 Spades>

<Desta takes her turn to stand and ready herself. She cannot attack or move this round, but she is aware of attackers.>

Desta has her sword drawn, she points at one of the men and says in a primal growl, "I play for keeps, don't step up if you aren't playing for keeps."

<Ichabod circles with his shortsword drawn. He is against two men. He advances and takes a swipe at the subordinate (Cultist #1) for a roll of Natural 20! Double damage of d6+1 with a result of 10.>

Ichabod leaped forward with terrifying speed that would have been taken as impossible, given the current cold climate sapping everyone's energy. His blade impaled into the cultist's stomach and turned. Life faded from the cultist and his spirit was sent beyond, perhaps to the Frog Gods they hated and loved. Ichabod drew the blade away and began to circle the Leader. A rather hirsute man with deep gray eyes that matched the shades of gray in his beard. In the cultist's hand was not a club, but a woodsman's ax with a chipped head.

"Shall we dance?" Ichabod asked flippantly.

<Bekka stands and casts Charm on one of the Cultists. He rolls a 16 vs. 20. Failure! He is charmed by the Witch.>

As Bekka stood and saw one of the cultists' circle the group for an attack, she transformed on the spot to something else. Her eyes began to mist, her once neutral expression became a plaintive frown. She shivered as if scared, and her voice was that of a distressed damsel instead of disinterested Witch, "You wouldn't really hurt me, would you?" As she spoke her gentle eyes flared in prismatic light that caught the cultist's eye. He swayed in the clearing with a loose grip on his weapon. If he inched any further it would fall to the ground. He said after a pause a heavy 'no' that sounded heavy as lead. As if the act of forming those two words strained his body to its core.

The lead cultist rushes Ichabod and rolls an 18 vs.12. Hit for d8 (3 pts).: Meanwhile, Ichabod was on the defensive. He was cocky and underappreciated the pure savagery he was facing. The man rushed him at all speed, swinging his ax outwards in an attempt to catch the Rogue. Ichabod was taken aback. He backstepped with his sword drawn, at first he parried, but the second stroke bit into his armor and sent him to the ground. He rolled with the heavy landing and was quickly on his feet. His side ached, but a cursory look showed a relatively shallow cut with no skin broken. <19-3 = 17 HP (Ichabod)

<Cultist #2 & #3 charge at Desta. They roll with a d20+1 for results of Natural 20! and 18 damage with clubs are 6 & 6 = 12>. Though prepared, Desta had found herself with bad footing, being a warrior use to the open steppe over muddy swamps. She tried to use her sword and shield to ward off the attackers, but she had twisted a little too far right and fell for the bait of the third cultist. The second cultist brought a blow against her side that stuck in her nerve like a pin driven into her body. She turned again for Cultist #3 to strike her in the neck with his club. She fell to one knee from her injuries, nearly overcome.

<Cultist #4 charges at a still prone Kothkar. He rolls with the Advantage gets a 12 and 8. Final total 13. Damage is 5> Kothkar gets two terrible wake-up calls. One was the cries of the cultists before they charge the camp, the other was a Human standing over him, striking the tip of his blue snout with a club. The Dragonborn's eyes centered on the cultist with a glare.

<Kothkar unleashes his lightning breath at point blank range. He has the Advantage. Final highest result is 10+3=13 for 8 Points. While the old adage has always been kick them when they're down another word of wisdom is except if they can breathe lightning out of their mouths. Kothkar angled his pointed head as his attacked raised to brain him once more. If the man had looked a few inches below those glaring eyes, he might have seen and perhaps avoided his doom. All the cultist heard was a soft crackle, then the world was obliterated in a blinding blue-white light. The bolt hit the man square in the chest and sent him flying away.

Kothkar took a moment to rise from the ground. Blood trickled from his nostril, "The hell is going on here?"

<ROUND 2: GM: Queen Diamond, Ichabod: 9 Clubs, Desta: 5 Hearts, Kothkar: 5 Clubs, Bekka: 7 Spades>

<Cultist Leader vs. Ichabod rolls a 18 vs. AC: 12. Hit! 7 Dmg>: Ichabod fought on the defensive and slowly backed away. He found himself cornered against a tree. Too late to correct as the ax plunged into his side with enough force to drive the air from his lungs. He grunted as the burning cut drew blood. <Ichabod's counter is initially 4+4 = 8 but he invokes his Human Talent and re-rolls to a 16+4 = 20. Hit! 3 dmg.: Ichabod was able to bring Cutter up and hack into the leader's leg, forcing the leader to back away from him. Ichabod faced the leader with one hand on his wounded side, another holding a blade out to meet him, "I've danced with better, but not many," Ichabod said. He lifted his hand and said, "I guess we couldn't part till you left at least a small moment on me."

<Cultist #2 & #3 attack Desta in tandem. Their results are 6 and 7 vs. AC: 16. Misses!:Desta had the advantage of being in the open. With her footing assured, both of their clubs bounced off her shield or were parried. <<Bekka's enchanted henchman attacks nearby Cultist #3. He rolls a Modified 20 and deals 1 point>: As Desta was prepared to face both, Bekka's voice rose up, "Take care of these two!" She said. The enchanted henchmen fortuitously recognized the intent of the Halfling's words (by the grace of a merciful GM) for he launched himself into his former ally, the third cultist. The club landed on the shoulder with an irritating tap that caused the third man to turn and read himself against his friend.

<Bekka steps to Desta and heals her for 13 HP. Desta is healed to full!>: "Renewed by nature!" Bekka noted as she cast her spell. Spells were generally worked by will with little regarded to verbal components. Some somatic components were still necessary, but in the North, the will was what counted. The healing energy flowed into Desta and restored her. Just in time for-

<Desta rolls a Natural 20! against Cultist #2 and deals 16 damage.>: Desta's sword to plunge into the open Cultist. Her supple muscles worked to lift him a few inches from a ground. His body began to slide towards her before she drew the sword from his torso and let him fall where he may, him, along with the rest of the pieces that fell to the ground.

<Kothkar launches two magic missiles. One for the wounded Leader and the third minion. Damage is 1d6+1 for 3 & 6 to respective targets.: The Sorcerer grunted as he saw the fights were joined. Injuries had been incurred on both sides, but they still had a march to get to their nightfall camp. They needed as much strength as possible, and it would not due to tax... his friend if he could call Bekka that. He raised a single clawed finger in the air that conjured a pair of silver darts that flew outwards with but a thought. When the darts hit they collided with a small explosion that charred the side of the minion's forehead and sent the leader sprawled on the ground. The clearing had quiet for a moment, all that remained was a charmed minion.

As Bekka noted, "Now, my friend. Let us talk about what's going on here," She smiled sweetly at her temporary minion.
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

User avatar
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:33 am
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Dungeon from a Distant Star [Blackmoor/Solo]

Post by Boddynock » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:00 pm

You can see stats and pictures of the Company here!

Day 1 - Late Afternoon

<Weather Check result is 4 - Cloudy>

One charmed Froggy stood alone. By Froggy, he was not an actual Frog person, he was Human, a fair-skinned son of Thonia whose hard life in the Dismal had tanned his skin from days under the humid sun. His back was against a tree, bound to it with a rope after an assuaging coo by his holder, Becca Threesorrorws. His head hung forward, at times swaying side-to-side with a half-turn to shake the cobwebs that settled on his mind. In this state, he was looked on by Becca who, in his eyes, seemed sympathetic to his plight. Her gentle eyes lulled him into comfort. The half-smile she showed to him reminded him of a worried friend. He stopped in his movement, looked up at her, and blinked twice. There was another image in the tied man's mind, something unseemingly that was associated with his friend. He tried to swallow but found his throat dry. He croaked, "Water... I need water."

Becca opens her canteen and walks toward him. She said, "Tilt your head back, drink it slow." <She uses the water and her gentle attitude to influence him to be friendly and helpful. She rolls a d20+3 with Advantage. TN set by the GM is 10+ = 8>
While he wants to be friendly, he seems more focused in rolling his head rather than answering questions. Becca stood and walked back to her allies.

"What do we do with him?" She asked.

"Is there anything we could get from him?" Desta asked <Treasure check from the other dead: Each man carried a club (d6) & knife (d4), The leader held a Longsword (d8). As for coinage, d6x5 silver pieces can be found on the collective bodies. The result is 5x5 = 25 Silver (2 Gold and 5 Silver). No Magic items are on the bodies. Most of the armor is ragged leathers and a set of rusted chain that the leader wore. Each member wears the Holy Symbol of the Frog>

"Do you think the Froggys may have found this hill of yours?" Kothkar asked Ichabod, the latter was making entries into his log book. A rather efficient fellow when it came to coins. Ichabod shrugged, "Possible, but the fallen star struck the hills south of here. The Froggys like to base around their temple near the center. If there is anyone out here it's either Lizardfolk or scouting parties like we ran into," Ichabod said, then added, "You worried about scalyfolk and ruffians?"

Kothkar replied, "Not I. I am curious what our plans for this one then."

"This, gentlemen is the age-old debate of the Prisoner dilemma," Desta noted, "Naturally, there is a justification that can be made by either faction. To let your enemy live is an honorable action, but it has the potential of hurting us in the long run as this dullard will certainly alert his allies to our presence, leading us to more trouble. We may perish in a fight, but at least the songs will remember us as honorable people. Then, there is the option of cutting the man's throat-" <Does the man hear the suggestion? D20+1 vs. TN 10. Disadvantage due to his lulled state results in Natural 1. The Froggy Cultist has fallen to sleep>

Desta continued, "throat has a certain neatness to it, but, it is dishonorable. If such a story came out, it could damage our reputation as a pack of slayers. What shall a group do?"

<Ichabod at this time has tried to sneak over to the tied cultist. He rolls a d20+7 and wishes to avoid being seen by the others. He makes 1 roll and gets a 13. The results of the others are Desta (20), Becca (5), and Kothkar (15).> Becca had walked to a small freshwater branch that continued to the murky Dismal to refill her canteen. As Desta was talking she noticed that Ichabod was no longer in his spot with his journal and pen. He was up and with as stealthy as he could slipped towards the sleeping cultist with a Blackjack in hand. Desta looked from Ichabod to Kothkar who stood there also watching.

<Does Desta intervene? She is somewhat lawful. She has a 50% chance of speaking up. The result is 66%>

With the Cultist helpless it was easy for Ichabod to bring the blackjack down on the man's head. The padded weapon bounced on the back of the skull with a hard thwack that would send a shard of pain down the man's spine. The body stiffened and the man went limp. <Cultist is unconscious for 1d4 x 10 minutes = 40 minutes>. It appeared he was out cold

"What the hells was that for?" Desta finally found her voice. At that moment Becca returned and her mouth was open to protest. Ichabod held up his hands and said, "Look, I figure we untie him and we move on. He wakes up, he doesn't know which way we went. Even if he makes it back to his fellows, what will he say? A group of adventurers jumped him- hand me one of those knives, Kothkar," Ichabod held his hand out and took one of the knives by the handle. He pressed the knife into the earth between the cultist's legs. As the Rogue noted, "There. We gave him a pretty good chance. Maybe he'll take this brush with death to heart and change his life. Maybe he'll become a hermit. Or maybe he'll get eaten by an alligator on his way back to his fellows, but at least we gave him a chance. Any protests?" Ichabod looked to the others.

Becca noted, "You could have at least clued us in on your line of thinking, especially since he was MY charmed victim."
"Were you planning to keep him?" Ichabod asked.
"That's not the point, Ichabod," She said, "It's the principle of the thing."
"Fair enough. For now, folks, let's get moving," Ichabod said. The group broke camp and continued on their path.

<There is a 2-in-6 encounter at night in the Dismal Swamp. The result is 1. They encounter something at night...>
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

User avatar
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:33 am
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Dungeon from a Distant Star [Blackmoor/Solo]

Post by Boddynock » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:22 pm

Day 1 Night

<Evening weather check 3. Partly Cloudy

The party continues on the path charted by Ichabod Westlake. The trails have thinned and now hardened adventurers grumble as they push through curtains of gray-green hanging moss, mindful of stingflies or mites that lurk within the floral curtains. The cresting patches of dry land were covered in trees with careful footing required so as not to trip on raised roots or low stumps. Where there was a crest, the dry land plunged into troughs of water. Ichabod looked carefully for life teeming in the water. This was not for sightseeing. It was for snakes, alligators, or water skimming spiders. Due to the influence of winter, it does not feel too long as that sun begins to set in the west. <There is a 1-in-8 Random Encounter check. The result is: 5>

By the time nighttime settles the party must halt and make camp. It will take another full day's march to reach the hill that the Sages believe the star fell on. There was moonlight that may have served Elves or Kothkar, but the other three required brighter sources than the pitiful silver streams that peered through the bush had to offer. A cold wind blew through the patch that the party occupied. A fire was built.

"There, I figure Desta and I can take a watch. Becca sleeps until morning, and Kothkar you take third watch. That should give you enough time to recharge for that last stretch. Anybody have an objection?" Ichabod asked. While he waited for an answer he joined the rest of the party in eating a paltry dinner of jerky, berries, and washing it all down with water. Coffee could wait until morning.

<Is there any protest? 5% Yes with a result of 21%>

Everyone agrees to plan and after a brief moment of sitting around, most retire to their bedrolls to try and get some sleep among the leaf-strewn ground.

<Is their a random encounter? There are two rolls, each with a 1-in-6 chance with results of 2 and 3>

Most of the night passes by without event. Ichabod spent his time with a set of playing cards working over a solitaire puzzle. Desta Noth practiced her sword dancing skills by firelight, making her one with the spirit of the swordmaidens of her tribe. The last to sit watch was Kothkar, who drew his tongue across one end of beige rolling paper before he finished rolling his stick of Dreamfoil. With a snap of his blue clawed finger the exposed tip of the roll hissed as the tiniest spark lit the sweet incense of the foil. <Character moment card for Becca - She draws the Heart Suit and has a moment of Love/Friendship>

He turned his head when he saw Becca had slipped upon a flat stump near her bedroll. She spoke in a soft voice, "Mind if I have a puff?"
Kothkar shed some of his will to take hold of the burning stick and float it towards Becca. His eyes focused on Becca, staring at her, but not quite at her specifically. His eyes focused on the translucent blue arcane hand that carried the smoldering joint from his hand, across the camp, and towards her. As she reached to grab it, her hand passed through the arcane hand and he dismissed the exuded arcane energy with the wave of his hand. He felt a shard of chill run through him. That's what happened when you tapped your will and evoked the magic, little pieces of warmth seemed to vanish and would not return until you rested or you injected some of that energy through potions. Becca took a few puffs and nodded her thanks.

"You think we made a mistake coming on this trip?" Kothkar asked.
Becca looked at the other two adventurers sleeping and shook her head, "We had nothing better to do, Koth. We could have hung around the Mage's Guild. Sweep storerooms for silvers or pennies, at least we get a chance to make real money," Becca noted.
"I would have preferred something that sounded more productive, like maybe a Dragon's Den or a fortress, not a falling star in a hill," Kothkar noted.
Becca had a small smile on her lips, "Always grumpy, Kothkar of Cerulean Scales. Why did you agree to come along?"
Kothkar inched his head towards the Docrae and said, "I couldn't let you go alone."
"Sure you could have," She said, "I can take care of myself."
"I know you can, but at least my fears are assuaged by being in the middle of it instead of on the outside," Kothkar opened his great maw and yawned, "Sun's going to be up in a little bit. You won't take anymore sleep?"

Becca shook her wild black mane and stood from her stump. She crossed the camp and offered the dreamfoil after she had a puff or two. Dreamfoil was a heavy plant with a sweet scent, like honey mead or berry wine. It clouded the mind like strong drink, often making the subject behave as if they had a drink or two. For heavy users like Kothkar and Becca, the effect was milder. They were neither singing songs or laughing at stale humor. They sat together in a mellowed state, for a time at peace with the world.

Becca spoke, "Thank-you for coming along, my friend."
Kothkar nodded slow and said, "You're welcome."
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

User avatar
RobJN
Dire Flumph
Posts: 4260
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 10:33 pm
Gender: male
Location: Texas, USA
Contact:

Re: Dungeon from a Distant Star [Blackmoor/Solo]

Post by RobJN » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:05 pm

So... mage hand is the new roach clip? ;)
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

User avatar
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:33 am
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Dungeon from a Distant Star [Blackmoor/Solo]

Post by Boddynock » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:37 pm

Mage's can be a little lazy when it comes to sharing the Halfling's leaf. Sometimes you just want to sit back and pass it via manipulation of the arcane forces, rather than get up and pass the stuff yourself.
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 25125
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Dungeon from a Distant Star [Blackmoor/Solo]

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:56 am

Boddynock wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:16 pm
Discord gaming is also an idea I'd like to entertain sometime in the future, but for now, we're going to be doing a solo game.
Maybe you could test the Discord server for The Piazza, at some point. There is a pair of channels in there for that sort of gaming.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:33 am
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Dungeon from a Distant Star [Blackmoor/Solo]

Post by Boddynock » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:05 am

Day 2 - Morning

<Weather Check: 8 Heavy Rain>

The party set off from their camp on a cheerless rainy dead, driven forth by a stiff wind at their backs and fat cold droplets hitting their necks. The party set forth with Ichabod in the lead again and Desta at his back, Desta was followed by Kothkar and then Becca took up the rear. <Ichabod makes a navigation check again. He is at a Disadvantage due to the storm and must roll a 12 or better. D20+3 Disadvantage results in Nat. 20 & 8. The lesser is taken.It takes several minutes of wandering before Desta voices the obvious, "Another circle, Ichabod?"
"What? No, no... it's just... well hell, I don't know where we are," Ichabod said acidly. He knew he was losing his cool, but rather than apologize he grunted and paced for a moment.
"Where are we?" Kothkar answered from the back.
<Does Desta's mood deteriorate from Ichabod's attitude? 25% Yes results in 88%>. Desta looks cooly at Ichabod but says nothing, she turns to Kothkar and Becca and says, "We're a little delayed, but we'll get there," She said and then looked to Ichabod, "Ready to check your bearings?"
Ichabod swallowed hard. He nodded and knelt. He took his time to study the ground and try to beyond the high trees for some sign of the hill that the star had crashed upon. < A noble effort, however, Ichabod still has very scanty information due to the impromptu trek. He still has the Disadvantage with a final result of 19 and 17. 17+3 = Modified 20>

"That way," Ichabod said and pointed, "I can see a touch of smoke."
"Isn't that fog?" Desta asked.'"
"No, that's the right way. I can feel it," Ichabod said.

<Daytime in the deep swamp still has a chance for a random encounter. For the wilderness, this is a 1-in-6 chance for a result of 4. No Encounter>

<Weather check 6. Heavy Clouds>

By midday, the rain had tapered off but the Swamp continued to be cold with a low hanging mist over the vast portions of black water and trees that bordered the paths that Ichabod picked through. There was little to say between the party. This was the true misery of an adventurer. The slow, tedious pace that separated those exciting parts or the heart's desire of treasure and fame. For a good deal of an adventurer's life, most of it would be spent walking from place to place. You could buy a horse, but then comes the responsibility of feeding it and praying it isn't eaten while your in a ruined keep or dungeon. You could purchase something bolder, such as a ship for either sea or air, but both of those ventures required a crew. A crew that needed to be paid, and even when they were paid there was a chance they'd rebel. Walking was usually the old stalwart for adventurers.

<Does Becca sense the threat coming up from behind them? 65% Yes with a result of 84%>

<Without an Elf and due to Fate deciding against Becca, there is no immediate guarantee the party is aware of the danger that is pursuing them. A pack of giant frogs, a common feature of the Dismal and that cursed Temple of the Frog has picked up the party's trail. Becca's witch-like senses do not immediately kick in, but there is a chance someone has heard something. A roll-off is used to determine if the party is surprised or not. The roll is party v. frogs with results of 11 v. 8...>

The party continues to move onward through the muddy trails. As her boots (despite being a Halfling there was little chance Becca was going to walk barefooted in the muck. Her feet were not THAT hairy) squished in mud, Becca's pointed ears perked up. At first, she passed off the croaking of frogs as the common ambiance of the area. There were frogs, sometimes the call of a bird, maybe the stamp of fast feet disturbing the bushes, but it became apparent that the tertiary sounds faded into the constant drone of frog croaks. She sucked in air fast that she began to sputter a cough. Coming up behind them, croaking loudly, were giant toads. Their bulbous bodies leaped forward, carried by two large hind legs. Unlike normal frogs, these carried an array of small sharp teeth. They were on the party's trail!

<Initiative Round #1!: GM: 8 Clubs, Ichabod: 7 Clubs, Desta: King Heart, Kothkar: 4 Heart, Becca: King Spade. Out of 1d8 Giant Frogs that have attacked the party, a 5 is rolled. Giant Toad Stats: HD 2 (HP: 11), AC: 12, Saving Throw: 18 (+3 Fortitude), Bite/Tongue: +2, D: 1d6, S: Swallow Whole: On a Natural 20 a character is swallowed whole by the frog and held in their gullet taking 1d6 damage per round until they freed or free themselves.>

"Behind us!" Becca cried! She stuck her staff into the ground and drew her sling. With a flick of the wrist she hurled a rock- <Result is 13. Hit! 1 Point> The rock pelts the frog, leaving a small bruise on its dark green backside.

Desta drew her sword and charged the first frog, the one that Becca had pelted. She slashed at the beast <3+4=7. Miss!> Unfortunately, her blade flew a little too high and missed. She used to fighting Humanoids, not toads.

<Frog attacks: 3 on Desta - 6, 18, 4. 2 on Becca: 5, 11>: The frogs focus their attacks on the two closest targets, namely Desta and Becca. The ladies do good work for the most part fending off frog bites, however, one frog does manage to reach up and bite Desta's arm <3 dmg> and another grabs Becca's leg tripping her to the ground <4 dmg>

Ichabod draws his shortsword and begins to close in on the frogs <Athletics +3 vs. TN: 10 for a roll of 8. He closes, but is unable to attack this round.>. He closes in on a frog near Desta, but he felt sluggish in his movements. His body was weighed down by the mud that was up to the ankles of his boots.

<-1 Spellcast, Kothkar. Magic Missile deals 7 damage on Frog #1 and 3 dmg on Frog #2> Kothkar threw out a set of arcane darts in quick action that struck the first and second frogs around Desta. He kept his distance, the usual place for a Sorcerer such as himself, though he had wanted to wade in and aid his friend. He said, "Becca, hold on! I'm coming," He meant it. Despite at times bantering with the Docrae, she was indeed his friend.

<Initiaitve Round #2: GM: 10 Spades, Ichabod: King Clubs, Desta: 7 of Diamonds, Kothkar: 5 Clubs, Becca: King Diamond

<Ichabod gains the Advantage in flanking the toad between him and Desta. He attacks with a Mod 20 and deals 1d6+1x3 = 15 points>. Ichabod watches as the frog continues to face Desta, croaking noisily until the sudden flash of Cutter ends its existence. <Frog #1 dead>

<Becca knife's one of the frogs. Rolls a 13+3 = 16. Hit! 1d4 = 1 dmg w/ Dagger>. Being too close to be pelted by rocks, Becca dropped her sling, which she hated to do. Now it'd have mud all over it. Instead, she drew her curved knife and slashed at the frog that was on her. She saw she made a shallow cut on the beast that had already sported a blackened mark from Kothkar's magic missile.

<On Desta with rolls +2 for results of Modded 20 and 21. 1d6 Damage of 1 & 4. On Becca with +2 bonus for results of Mod 20 and 8. Damage is 1d6 for 3 points>. The frogs were serious about taking their pounds of flesh. Becca yelped as one of the frogs bit her waist and continued to hang onto her. Desta's chainmail was better suited compared to the Halfling, but even she was feeling the pressure as she was bitten by ravenous frogs.

<Ichabod flanks and stabs Frog #2 for a final roll of 16. He deals 1d6+1x3 for a result of 6 damage>: Ichabod now has the attention of a frog after a successful stab plunges cutter deep into the frog's leg, hobbling it. The frog suddenly spun with eyes to devour the Rogue.

<Desta attacks Frog #2. She rolls a 14+3 = 17. Deals 6 damage. Desta fights defensively and turns her +1 Attk into +1 AC.>: Desta brings her sword to bear on Frog #2, the same one that was now facing the Rogue. Her sword finished what Ichabod had started, it easily slid through the back and out the stomach. The frog quivered before expiring.

<Kothkar in anger uses his Lightning breath on one of the frogs. Gasp! He rolls a Natural 1. The fumble hits Becca in the crossfire and deals 6 damage to her. Becca is at 0 HP. She has 3 rounds to either Stabilize or be healed before she expires.>: Misfortune seemed to follow Kothkar. In anger at the frogs attacking his friend, he launched a bolt of lightning aimed at one of the frogs at mid-leap. The frog managed to land just shy of being struck by the bolt, instead, Becca was the unintended target. She managed to turn and look her friend in the eye right before the forked tongue of the bolt hit her in the chest and sent her flying into the water. Kothkar let out a bestial wail and shouted, "No!"

<Round 3: GM: 2 Diamond, Ichabod: 5 Hearts, Desta: 2 Hearts, Kothkar: 6 Spades, Becca: Stabalization roll is d20 > 10. Roll is Natural 1. 2 Rounds Lef

<-1 Spell Point. Lightning Breath Recharged. Magic Missile damages Frogs #4 & 5 for 6 and 5 points respectively bringing totals to 9 and 5.: Kothkar ran into the fray to aid his friend. Tears streamed down his blue eyes as anger, guilt, and frustration ate at him. Please hold on, Becca! I'm sorry! The Dragonborn thought to himself. Still, despite the emotions, his will was sharp as ever. His eyes burned when they came upon the frogs and he raised his hands before him. Two more silvery darts fired from his fingers, striking both frogs. Their skin blackened from the arcane energy that exploded on contact. He felt his lungs gather strength, he could feel the energy burn within. He could let loose another breath.

<Ichabod initially rolls a 4+4=7. He spends his Human talent to re-roll and gets a 9+4=13. He deals 5 damage>: Ichabo closes in on the third frog that was on Desta. She is not quite in the correct spot to flank, but at least from his slash he would open that front for the Peshwah. He had vaguely seen the flash, but he certainly heard the thunder and all that came with it as Kothkar struck down Becca. He gritted his teeth. Damn these frogs! He thought. What did the cult breed into these creatures?

<Iniative Roll-off between Frogs and Desta. Frogs roll with a +8 vs. Desta's +5 for results of 26 vs. 14. Frogs go first>

<Frog #3 on Ichabod rolls a 18+2=20. 3 dmg. Frogs #4 & #5 roll 14 & 5 on Kothkar. 2 dmg>: The third frog that Ichabod just stabbed managed to latch onto his knee and bite down. Meanwhile, one of the frogs that now had turned their attention on Kothkar and began their attempts to try and make a meal of him. One managed to bite him, it may have done something foolish by attacking a Dragonborn.

Desta's sword came down upon the frog <11+3=14 for 8 dmg>: Desta's sword silenced the last frog that faced her and Ichabod. Now it was a matter to deal with the other two that were on the field.

<But that's for another time... TO BE CONTINUED>
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

User avatar
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:33 am
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Dungeon from a Distant Star [Blackmoor/Solo]

Post by Boddynock » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:34 am

<Becca's recovery roll (2/3). The result is 18. Success!>

While in the waking world of the prime material plane, Becca was unconscious, a body on the muddy ground, her cheeks flecked with dried blood and gray soil. Her eyes fluttered and a soft groan escaped her lips, signs that she was ultimately alive. Though she showed these signs of life, a portion of her was far-and-away from a battlefield in the middle of the North. In fact, her spirit hovered nowhere near on the Prime Material Plane. Rather than shiver at the cold mud against her arms, Becca's spirit sighed as she watched swirling orange vapors play against the yellow background of the realm. She could not quite call it the sky for, as overhead (in a way that she could term as 'up') she saw a vast array of stars twinkle against the black void. Great spheres, like a set of child's marbles, stood out against the blackness, just out of reach of the yellow that surrounded the distant hills and valleys. The floating spheres spun in place with colors of deep blue or brilliant red. She was not alone. Behind her, a great red wyrm lounged on the flat cliffside some feet behind her. The red beast lifted its long serpentine neck with a resounding crack. As its head looked back down its yellow eyes narrowed at another figure that stood near it. A man with a chiseled musculature, like a statue of granite that had come to life and posed in a white loincloth. She tilted her head as she heard the man boast.

"Watch what I can do, I just learned this yesterday," The man leaped from the outcropping of rock, but rather plummet down the sheer drop he hovered in place. His mane of brown hair blown by a soft breeze that rustled the skirt of Becca's dress. The man's right arm extended above his head. There was a great crackle followed by a flash of bluish energy that fired from the man's hand into the void, "What do you think, Varci?" The man asked.

"I thought we were playing dragon chess, not posing on this cliff," The dragon with a rather short name (not that Becca knew man dragons besides Dragonborn), Varci said with an annoyed tone to his huff, "Maybe you can use your powers to do something, like get you a job."

"You know why are you never happy for me, Varcigenarex? I get some new powers from my Lord, I want to show them off. It isn't like we didn't play dragon chess yesterday,"

"Quiet!" Vercigenarex hissed, his eyes turned to Becca. She realized two things: One was that his full name 'Vercigenarex' made perfect sense for a dragon. 2: His eyes were golden, not yellow. "Hey, if you've just died, make your way to that castle down the road. You'll get sorted there," The dragon said.

"Yeah, don't mind us," The Human added-

At that point, Becca woke up. There was still fighting going on-

<Round 4 Initiative: GM: Queen Club, Ichabod: Joker!, Desta 8 Diamonds, Kothkar: Jack Spade

The battlefield pitted the party against the last two frogs. The ones that had attacked and aided in the mauling of Becca Threesorrows, who while stabilized, was still unconscious. <With Joker! Ichabod gains the Advantage! He rolls a total of 9 and 20. Hit! He deals a total of 6 damage to frog #4.>: Ichabod launches himself, having helped finished off the frogs that were Desta. Cutter was out and Ichabod was desirous of ending the fight quickly so they might check and treat their fallen witch. Ichabod was sure he had those same thoughts earlier, but while he pondered that question he managed to gut the frog with his sword.

<Frog Attacks and rolls a total of 13 vs. Ichabod's AC 12. He takes 4 points>: His victory over the first frog is short lived as the other frog leaps and bites his cheek. He begins to thrash as he feels the burning sensation of blood flowing down his face, "Get this damn thing off of me!" He cried.

Kothkar stepped, "I got it!"
"No, wait, let Desta," Ichabod breathed as both his hands struggled to pull off the ravenous frog.
"No! I have it," <d20+3 = 15. Lightning breath deals 7 damage>. Despite his track record not being so sterling, Kothkar unleashed a bolt of lightning that hissed through the air. The forked tongue curved and dove into the frog's back. The beast reared its head and gave one final mournful croak before the backside exploded in a spray of red and purple innards. Ichabod was knocked to the ground, sputtering and gagging, "The hell, Kothkar! You tried to kill Becca, don't take me with you."

<Does Kothkar react to the remark? 36%> : Shaking his head, Ichabod looked up from his state to see a solemn look in Kothkar's eyes. He had hurt his friend, Kothkar did, and Ichabod knew, in turn, he had touched a nerve. Ichabod coughed and cleared his throat, "Look... I'm sorry," He said.
Kothkar turned away and knelt by the stricken Becca. He used his fingers to check her neck. He could feel a pulse.
"We need to find somewhere we can hold up in. We've already used a good deal of our powers," Kothkar said.

"Plus we've got wounds to bind until Becca recovers," Desta noted, "Either of you know any caves in the area?"

Kothkar shook his head. Ichabod straightened and said, "Follow me, I think I might be able to get us somewhere temporarily safe."
<As a Blue Dragonborn, connected to the air and storms, Kothkar can sense a storm is coming. Also a 7, rain, is rolled.> Kothkar looked at Ichabod expectantly and said, "Rains coming back again. We have to move now."

<Natural 20!>: Ichabod nodded. He raised a hand and waved it in the air. He said aloud, "Follow me," before leading them on the trail. What he didn't say was that he was moving them along the path he had planned to use to find the hill that the star had crashed into.

<Does either Kothkar or Desta notice that? 50% Yes for a result of 06% Exceptional Yes!

As the party continues down the trail, it occurs to both Desta and Kothkar that this short path to a cave was not short at all. Despite Ichabod saying over his shoulder, "Just a little bit longer."
After a fair amount of ' a little bit longer' passes, Kothkar grumbles, "Where are you taking us?" He held Becca's figure tighter to him. The rains had already begun to set in.
"To a cave," Ichabod said. <19+3 vs. his AC of 11. Desta grabs the back of his armor. Ichabod saving throw vs. Trip is a roll of 11 vs. 14. Ichabod is pulled back.. Ichabod's explanation is cut off when he feels Desta's hand suddenly snatch the collar of his leathers and haul him back. A fat droplet of rain struck his cheeks, tinier beads of water burned as they contacted with his eyes. He yelped as he was dragged and said, "The hell, Desta?

"What cave, Westlake? We've been walking in the storm for a while," She noted. Her green eyes narrowed at him.
"The cave we were heading too anyway. It's the best one that I know!" Ichabod's tone was defensive.
"We could have hid in a copse of trees," she said.
"I figured I was... taking care of two things at once," Ichabod was quick to say. He had almost used the explanation of two birds- but the term 'killing' would not roll off his tongue given the looks he received. When she released him he straightened his armor and said, "As I said, it's just a-"
"Don't say it," Kothkar growled, "Just get us there now!"

Ichabod nodded he raised his hand and gestured to the bush in front of him. It seemed like the pair waited too late to grumble. Past the bushes they stood in the ground rose steadily, and as it rose, it became evident that the ground had hardened into moss-covered rock. In previous weeks it would have been passed by and regarded as a small hill with a cave entrance. Now the hill sported a great hole in the ground with blue smoke continuing to billow out of the recently made crater. Much of the ill was intact, save for the portion that had caved in.

Ichabod said, his face red with pride, "Our cave, ladies, Dragonborn," He said. <d20+3 vs TN: 10 = Natural 1> He gestured towards the entrance and said, "Let's get in there." He took a single step forward. He heard the metallic clink before he felt the pain. A foot trap was sprung on Ichabod. <d20+3 vs. 20 (TN: 17) Fortitude to avoid passing out. The result is a 5> Though he found the cave. Someone was also there. Their beartrap caught Ichabod's foot and he fell forward, his head striking a rock <2 dmg>. He was, for the moment, unconscious. Successful at find the cave, but unconscious nonetheless.

<To be continued...>
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

User avatar
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:33 am
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Dungeon from a Distant Star [Blackmoor/Solo]

Post by Boddynock » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:56 am

Day 2 - Early Evening - Cavern

<Weather Check? Well, they're in the cave, so weather isn't truly an issue. But a 4 is rolled: Cloudy>

The party managed to take up a side passage from the main cavern complex. This chamber is comparatively deeper than most parties would look for involving side caves, but the shallower bolt holes had been destroyed by the star. What was interesting, and possibly disturbing, is the nature of the hole. It looks like a deep angular cut into the hill, rather than an object smashing from the top. A thin trail of smoke rises from the hole. The party cared more about bandaging wounds than speculating about what is further below.

<The party uses a combination of bandages, ointments, and tinctures of various colors, so you know they work, to gain 1d6 HP each. The result is 3>

Becca awoke to find that Ichabod sported several bandages, Desta legs and arm glistened with the sheen of healing poultice slathered on her wounds, and Kothkar had a single wound on his cheek. They had managed to get some healing poultice down her throat, enough that she could awaken, though soreness continued to course through her body. She first asked, "I'm alive?" When she received nods, she asked, "The enemy is dead?" More nods. Thin smiles. When her eyes turned to Kothkar...

<Becca's reaction (2d6) 7 - Neutral/Uncertain>

She pursed her lip at his smile but said nothing that either condemned or reassured Kothkar. His smile faded and guilt hangs heavy on him. She raised her hand and cast a spell on herself <Cure (2d8+3) -1 Spell Point. The result is 12. She instantly transforms into a near flawless person. <Cure -1 Spell Point. The result is 9 for Ichabod. Ichabod feels a warmth within his chest as he feels his wounds knit themselves and his energy restored. <Cure -1 Spell Point. 9 Healing. Desta> Desta sighs aloud as she feels restored as well. While Becca has one more spell point, she paused when she saw Kothkar raise his hand, "Mine's a scratch. I'll be alright," He said as he rose and walked to stand outside their alcove.

Ichabod frowned, but said nothing, he touched Becca's shoulder and asked, "Will you be alright?"

Becca nods and said, "I will get by. Do we venture into the caverns now?"

Ichabod shook his head, "Let's rest here. We have a good defensible spot and I'd like as many spells prepared as possible when we venture down there."

"What will we found down there?" Desta asked. The DIsmal Swamp held many secrets and having lived for a spell in Vestfold, she had heard many things that had come out of the Dismal Swamp and the hated Temple of the Frog. This was her first instances of seeing a falling star and all the wonder and woe it brought upon Blackmoor.

"I don't know," Ichabod said.

<To Be Continued>
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

User avatar
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:33 am
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Dungeon from a Distant Star [Blackmoor/Solo]

Post by Boddynock » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:37 am

Day 3 - Early Morning

The party rests in the side cave to recover from their harrowing journey. Ichabod slips out from the camp to take a little scouting trip <Is he noticed leaving? 35% Chance with a result of 85%>. He leaves a quiet camp as he works his way down the winding, narrow passage. <Notice Chek is d20+3 with a result of 13> Ichabod frowned as he saw a fresh trail that led through the main path. Boot track, the occasional deeper impression in the ground. Most of the boot marks appeared to be normal size, suggesting Humans and Humanoid creatures. He continued down the path with a lit torch in hand. He reminded himself to get a bullseye lantern sometime in the future, something a little less conspicuous. His only act of subterfuge would be to move quietly and listen, given that the light of his torch reflected off the soft sheen of the cave walls.

<There is a 1-in-6 Encounter Chance with a result of 4> He runs into nothing substantial, a few scurrying critters that quickly retreat from his shadow. <Notice check with a result of 19>. It is easy to notice that at the end of the hall the cavern obviously opens up. What may have escaped the attention of another with duller senses was the soft glow of artificial light at the end of the hall. doused his torch and laid the smoldering stick at a spot near the center between the hall and the exit to the main cavern. He crouched low and worked his way down the hall <Stealth d20+7 results in 19>. He is practically a shadow on the wall as he steps into the main chamber to hide among residual rocks that did not block, more like crowded the entryway.

There were two sights for Ichabod Westlake to behold, sights both wondrous and worrisome. The wondrous lingered in the distance. It was the kind of sight that made Phillipa's blue diamond eyes bright with excitement. The so-called star was silver, as large as a sea-going galleon built flat with two gentle humbles on either side of a rounded plane. Half of the metal object was buried within the rock that it had crashed into, the other stuck straight in the air, casting a shadow on the cavern below. That's where the worrisome sight came into view. He could see several tents and several cauldrons of bubbling water. He saw at least ten men with a couple of large frogs leaping through the camp. He knew the banners that they displayed with captured examples back in Vestfold. More Frog Cultists, they had already arrived.

He began to slip back into the tunnel <Stealth +7 = 22 / Is there anyone in the tunnel? 50% Yes with a result of 36%>. As Ichabod turned to go he was surprised to see a shadow on the wall. He dodged to the left of the tunnel and pressed his back as far as he could as one of the dire men in black leathers walked behind a wolf frog that had a leash around its bulbous belly. Perhaps it should have been taken as either cute or comedy the way the cultist walked the toad as if it was a hound. All Ichabod could imagine was the trouble he'd bring if he made an error. He held his breath as the man continued down the trail <Notice of both man and toad vs. 22 results in 6 and 6 respectively. Neither party turned to look at the Rogue.

Ichabod followed the tunnel back towards the party's alcove. He hated telling them about trouble ahead, but it could not be avoided. They had to move to deal with the cult before they made too many in roads into the star and either recovered or utilized some sort of eldritch device on the party.
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

User avatar
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:33 am
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Dungeon from a Distant Star [Blackmoor/Solo]

Post by Boddynock » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:04 pm

Day 3 - Evening

Ichabod Westlake met with the other party members. He put his back against a rock and then rolled his hips to try and capture that lumbar support that eluded him. He told them all he had seen.

"We should have anticipated the Froggys would take an interest in this," Becca noted, "These falling stars are their thing."

"How are they their thing?" Desta asked.

Ichabod continued with Becca's theory and noted, "There has always been an strangeness associated with the Froggy cult and their temple. According to the party that went in, something about the artifacts they saw, they had come out of a falling star like the one that is in that cavern below. If I recall, I had always heard the leadership caste of the Cult looked like us. By 'us,' I mean you and I. Not us as a collective," He gestured to the group as a whole.

"How are we going to get on the star, Westlake? We can't all sneak past a group of armsmen and their pet frogs. I can't believe I'm nervous about fighting more frogs," Kothkar grumbled.

"Simple, I'm going to try and sneak up on who I can, take them out. When I get in trouble, I'll let out a warning signal and you three take up position to defend me," Westlake stood up. It turned out rocks did not make good cushions. The others stood with him and Kothkar asked, "What will the signal be?"

"Me running and yelling about how I'm being chased. We're keeping it simple-" <Is there trouble behind Ichabod? 25% Yes with a result of 06% Yes! Encounter!>

<Encounter includes 1d6+1 Froggy Cultist for a result of 4. There is a 1-in-4 chance that one of the four cultists is actually a mutant frog. The result is 2. All men: Stats - HD: 1 (HP: 7) AC: 12, AB: +1 - Clubs and Swords: D: 1d6. Crossbow: D: d10, R: Far, RoF: 1>

Ichabod turned to nearly bump into four rough men with dirt-stained cheeks and narrow eyes that were bordered with angry red veins. Of the four, three clutched chipped swords or clubs. One carried a crossbow.

Ichabod noted, his head half-tilted towards the men. He said, "Well, this isn't good."

<Writer's Note: I was dissatisfied with the Card Initiative. I'll try to find a way to work cards in at some point, but for now, we're going back to d20+MV for the heroes and generally d20 for minions. Results are: Kothkar 31, Becca 27, Desta 22, GM 12, Ichabod 10>

<Kothkar attacks with Lightning breath against Cultist #1. He rolls a Natural 20! and deals 1d8x2 for 14 points of damage> Kothkar's eyes flash with gathering energy. He exhales a bright blue flash that crackles as it touches the air. The bolt twisted and turned before the spear-tipped energy plunged into the first man and lifted him off his feet with the cry of a thunderclap that caused ears to pound in agony. The first man was lifted, his innards charred by the bolt. He was lifted as a being, dropped as a twitching body. <Cultist #1 is slain!

Becca lifted her hand, her will turned to storms and cyclones. Her people, the Docrae, spirits were that of storms and anger after so many years of abuse by other race. Her eyes glowed with a similar fury to Kothkar. As her hand extended her will was made manifest in a great silver gale that knocked the three living cultists off their feet and upon their backs <-1 Mana Becca. Automatically sends 1 HD opponents prone with her Gust of Wind Spell

<Desta begins the round Defensive she now has +1 AC for a total of AC: 17. She rolls a 19 as part of an Advantage roll for attacking prone figures. She hits and deals 8 damage> Desta stepped forward to get between the fallen cultists and Ichabod. Her scimitar swooped down, like a terrible talon of a bird, culling a man as he struggled to stand. <Cultist #3 is slain!>

<Cultist #2 and #4's turn, the two are able to stand up. #2 advances on Desta, while #4 fires a crossbow bolt at Kothkar to try and target the Magic User. Rolls for #2 and #4 are respectively a 3 and a 14. A Miss and a Hit. The Crossbow bolt deals 1d10 for 2 damage.>

The cultist on Desta advanced with sword drawn. The pair clashed, but even though desperation flashed in his eyes, the Peshwah was able to hold her own. The two parried each other's blows while a crossbow bolt sung through the air and grazed the Dragonborn. Kothkar growled, his hand instinctively reached for his wounded arm.

<Ichabod Dual attacks. He gains flank on Desta's opponent and hits with Advantage roll of 14 for 5x3 = 15 dmg. His throw targets Cultist #4 and results in a 12. Hit! #4 takes 3 damage from a knife wound.>

Ichabod slips between fights and tries to clean house. His shortsword slid easily between the cultist's shoulder blades. The cultist stiffened mid-strike with Desta before he fell limp and slid off of Ichabod's sword. Meanwhile, in a feat of adroitness, Ichabod flicked a knife at the fourth man, the one with the crossbow. The dagger struck the fourth man in the belly. He remained standing, however.

<Cultist morale check: 1d10 with a 1 signifying unbroken morale. The froggy gets a 4. Retreat! The man gets a retreat action with a move modifier initiative of +9 based on his leather armor. Similar or faster movements are allowed a chance to catch him. Cultist #4's initiative, in this case, is 26. Ichabod, Kothkar, and Becca have a chance to catch him. Their rolls are: 10, 19, 27. Becca can keep pace with him>

<Becca; -1 Mana. Gust of Wind> Being one whose soul was awash in occult energy, sometimes Becca had a preternatural sense for things. She could sometimes tell from looks, nods, gestures when someone was about to make a quick jab, a sudden ambush, or an enemy about to run. It wasn't too hard to guess from the beads of sweat that pooled down the cultist's brow that he was scared. She could see the slight shift in his body, the turn as he shied from Desta and Ichabod and aimed his body for the tunnel. He took one step before the gust of wind knocked him down. The man struggled to stand, his speed hobbled by the sudden strike of air that had knocked him down.

<-1 Mana Kothakr. The man is dealt 5 points from Magic Missile>

The man had taken a step further when the silver darts from Kothkar's hand struck him in the back and knocked him down.

Ichabod was poised to give chase but relaxed as he saw it happened. He looked at the others and asked, "Anyone hurt?"

"I took a graze, but I should be okay," Kothkar said.

"Good, we don't have a lot of time to dawdle. We've got to confront the Froggy's as quickly as possible. They are bound to hear all of the noise we just made," Ichabod said. He walked over to retrieve his dagger from the dead Cultist. The Cultist was plenty dead with or without the dagger inside of him.

<To be continued...>
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

User avatar
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:33 am
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Dungeon from a Distant Star [Blackmoor/Solo]

Post by Boddynock » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:56 pm

Day 3 - Evening Cont.

The party continues after their initial flight after the defeat of the Frog Cultists who bumped into them. Pebbles and soil were kicked up as the soft grind of leather and the clink of chains echoed from the halls. Ichabod was at the lead with sword and dagger drawn and readied, the others huffed and puffed behind him as he said, "Hold up, let me take a look."

The party slowed and allowed him to slip ahead of the group. He crouched low, his steps slowed so that he kicked up less noise as he picked through the passage back towards the opening to the main chamber <Stealth roll 1d20+7 = 18. Are there any cultists at the chamber entrance? 50% with a result of 03% Exceptional Yes!>

He was at the mouth of the chamber before it sloped to the cavern floor. Ichabod's breath was caught as he looked, not on a sleepy camp below, but a group of men with a tethered frog half-way between the floor and where he stood. Ichabod ducked to the left, hoping that his lack of noise had not alerted them further than the earlier ambiance had already accomplished and that he blended with the shadows <Notice check d20 vs. 18. There is a pack of enemies. No +'s but a roll with the Advantage results in a 14 and 14. They did not fail by five or more, they are on alert, but have not seen him.>

"What was that?" One of the men asked. Ichabod could hear the click of boots and the soft, moist slapping noise of the frog hopping towards the rocks he had used as cover. Another voice called out, "I don't see anything, Hector. Your eyes play tricks."

"Did my ears play tricks as well when those noises came down the cave?" Hector growled back. None of the cultists that Ichabod had encountered had ever looked big to him. Some were average, a few were thin, they always looked ragged and undernourished- but something about the fullness of Hector's voice made Ichabod think that his foe was a rather healthy adversary. He tightened his grip on his blades as he listened to leather boots drawing close.

"It's probably the others fighting over whatever. A lot of those 'brothers' were just common thieves running from the Tenians when they joined our service. Let's get back to the ship."

The boot steps paused for a moment before Ichabod heard them clop on the floor, with each step the noise receded <Does the rest of the party show up? 45% Yes with a result of 91% No!>

Ichabod is alone. He breathes a sigh of relief and begins to slowly slip back into the hall that he had come from < Stealth Roll: d20+7 = 20> No accusation or alarm followed in his wake.

Back down the hall, towards the entrance of the complex, what was first a hall populated by bodies became an entire matter when the three appeared out the various small side passages and alcoves. Hands were upon weapons, though they visibly relaxed when they saw it was Ichabod. Westlake gestured over his shoulder, putting a finger to his lip before inclined a little further up the passage away from the open maw. "There's a good six of them in the field with a wolf frog. We would have run right into them if we hadn't slowed," He said.

"Well, we have to deal with them to get to the craft," Kothkar noted.

"You guys still want to do this? I... well, I lead you out this far, I know, but I didn't know we'd be against the odds like this. I mean, Becca here almost died."

"And my near-death shouldn't be in vain," Becca said, "I'm willing to go all the way."

Desta nodded, "But, really, next time you're doing something for a girl, kindly let us know, alright?"

Ichabod felt stunned for a moment by their understanding, or at least their temporary understanding. When all was said and done they might have had a few other words to say to him or about him but for the moment he felt touched. He said, "Agreed. Now, let's go say hello. Let me take the lead first, see if I can't pick one of them off quietly."

<There is a 2-in-6 chance that some men were left behind at the cave entrance. The result is 2. 3 of the Cultists and the frog remained, guardians of the chamber entrance.>

<Stealth check vs. Notice with results respectively of Natural 1 and 19>

Ichabod stepped in close to the man who had leaned against the very same rock he had used moments ago as a hiding space. His shortsword was drawn and at his side, ready for the plunge. He was a few steps on the man when his boots scattered several rocks and he hesitated. The man spun upon Ichabod, reacting quick as a flash for even the Rogue to counter. Ichabod was struck on the cheek with the back of the man's hand <1 1d4 dmg for 1 point> The others came charging through the cavern.

As Desta noted before she sprung to action, "Yeah, he's been had." She drew her sword and said, "For the Hak!"

<Round 1 Initiative with results of: GM: 7, Ichabod: 25, Desta: 11, Kothkar: 24, Becca: 21>

<Athletics +3 vs. TN: 10 = 20> Ichabod could be described as someone with a cat's grace. The way his sure feet planted to the floor to propel him up in a duelist's crouch. Blades still in his hand he advanced and engaged <2d20+3 vs. AC: 12 = 7 and 2.> Their blades met, Ichabod's sword caught the offending sword mid-stroke. He knocked away the blow before he countered with a jam of his dagger into the man's side followed by his sword, Cutter, embedding itself into the cultist's left shoulder. The bone was cut clean, so was the lung that cutter sliced through. He withdrew and faced another man. Meanwhile...

<Light; -1 Mana, Kothkar> Kothkar knew that Becca, Desta, and Ichabod did not operate so well with light. While the hall behind them was lit by torches left by the cultists, the breadth of the cavern was too great for mere torches. There were several lengths of shadowy seas between the islands of light. He created his own island by conjuring a light on the sapphire ring he wore. The room was now lit that the party had no trouble distinguishing friend from foe, the shadows to fear and the harmless phantoms on the wall.

<Becca's ranged attacks are 16 & 18. Hits! 3 dmg altogether.> Becca lobbed a pair of sling stones in quick order. The smooth pointed rocks jabbed the second cultist in the cheek and in the mouth, chipping a tooth. The Docrae had a rare smile at her accomplishment, she knew, somewhere, deep within, that one of her ancestors was pleased by this.

<Desta attacks with a roll of 15 and 3 dmg> Desta was on the second cultist after Becca's stone struck him. Her scimitar flashed and she finished him off with a quick side slash across and through his guts. As she dispatched the cultist she continued down the path into the wide chamber. Before her stood a single man with a drawn shortsword, the blade crossed his chest in the guard fashion. At his side, a low croak issuing from its throat was the wolf frog. So named for its yellow eyes and sharp teeth that the frog appeared to join flashing in malicious savagery. Wolf frogs were not true beasts of the world, she knew them as the result of Cultist tinkerings.

<Attacks against Desta are with a +1 and +2 for Cultist and Frog respectively. Results are 10 and 5>

Desta moved on the offensive to face the pair. She dodged to the left as the frog lept at her with its sticky forelimbs out for her. The frog landed with a thud and struggled to turn back around. The cultist was next, her heart relaxed when she saw him. Though she knew she was in mortal danger, at least it was not a damn frog - her thoughts on the matter. Their blades crossed as he pressed on her and she parried back. She was confident in her defense but felt her throat burn in frustrated bile as he gave no opening to her.

<Do more cultists show up? 65% Chance with a result of 09% Exceptional Yes!>

<Withdrawing attack for Desta. She rolls a 15 and deals 4 damage. Slain!> The third cultist backstepped, but his movements had opened himself up for Desta's sword to stop him mid-step with a single stroke. Her breath held as she managed to glance up and see the wreck of the falling star, the metal saucer angled in the air. Her eyes settled at two men lead by a man dressed in black chain with sick green frogs embossed on the pauldrons. In his hands was a flanged mace with spiked tips.

His voice was the same depth Ichabod had heard earlier. The voice of Hector, who said, "I should have gone with my own intuition earlier when I thought I sensed a rat in the darkness. Now I see a whole slew of vermin calling upon our new shrine."

<Hector's Stats: HD 3 (HP: 12)- AC: 14 (Chain) - MV: 6 - Heavy Mace +1: Attk: +4, D: 1d8+1 - Spells: Mana: 4 - Aid, Bane, Cause Wounds

<Initiative Round #2: GM: 12/24 (Hector), Ichabod: 27, Desta: 20, Kothkar: 15, Becca: 19

Ichabod rushed as quickly as he could. His reflexes helped him dodge carnage of the field. The bodies of two cultists and a mutant frog, at least there was plenty of space to move in the chamber. He stood next to Desta, the furthest he could run as-

<BANE! Hector targets Desta, Ichabod, and Kothkar. They make resistant rolls of d20+3 vs. 20. Kothkar rolls with a +6 as this is a magic spell. Results are 17, 19, and 17. Failure! Lasts 3 Minutes. -1 Mana Hector> Hector held out his hand as he continued to smirk at the party. His gray eyes burned bright and red with devilish energy. His hand shook as small traces of red smoke swirled and drifted from his hand, vapors conjured from the nether. As they drifted into the air they further writhed and shifted, taking forms as symbols that caused Ichabod, Desta, and Kothkar's eyes to involuntary wince in pain. Their heads throbbed, their knuckles ached, and their knees buckled.

"He's used some kind of power on us," Kothkar hissed.

"Yeah, no s-" Ichabod's crude remarked was interrupted as Desta screamed a ragged battle cry. Despite the protestations of her limbs, she pushed herself forward in a desperate charge where ever step shot pain into her legs, knees, in hands. The mistake one of Hector's guards made was getting in front of a person so filled with fury, especially a Peshwah. Her blade <1d20+4-4 = 19! Hit! 7 dmg> slashed in a high stroke that took cultist's head off in a single clean stroke. The head fell backward and rolled on the ground to the other guard whose eyes went wide as he looked into the face of paralyzed death.

Becca was at a distance. She moved as fast as her legs could carry her, getting as close as Kothkar and a step behind Ichabod. She ignored the groans and growls of pain as she had slid a rock into the pouch of the sling <d20+4 = 22. Hit! 3 dmg>. She let the rock fly, she could only throw a single and she barely had breath to launch to bullet at Hector's other guard. The smooth stone struck the man on his nose. His head twisted to the right with a spray of blood from the sudden impact. When he turned his head against she could see the nose and upper lip was blackened with a small trail of blood.

<Kothkar -1 Mana. Magic Missile! Hits unerringly with 1d6 damage with 1 on the Cultist, 5 on Hector>. The cultist had little time to enjoy his new wound. Though the world had ached for the Dragonborn, Kothkar still had the magic within him, his will was rarely denied. His yellow eyes glowed a bright silver and met in mutual anger at Hector's red eyes. A wave of his hands conjured two darts from the immaterial. The darts whistled as they flew, the first struck the Cultist guard in the chest, killing him before the pain of being hit with a rock really sunk in. The second arcane dart scourged Hector's face. Blackening the flesh and exposing a touch of bone on the rise of his cheeks.

<Round 3 Initiative: Hector 24, Ichabod 15, Desta 13, Kothkar 19, Becca 20. d4 Penalty this round is 1>

<Hector casts Aid. He gains 1d8+3 for 10 Hit Points. His current Health is 13. He now rolls a d4 bonus on Attacks and Saves. 3 Rounds. -1 Mana> Hector raised his mace in the air. His now red eyes flashed again as another conjured mist fell upon his shoulders and spiraled around his figure. Even as the mist obscured him, the eyes, they remained constant and unobscured.

<Becca makes 2 Sling attacks with Disadvantage due to Range. Final rolls are 20 and 14. Hit and Hit... 8 damage>

Becca was undeterred, suffered no curses, and was full of vigor to lay out this fiendish Cleric, this perversion upon the world. The Witch was a bit far out from her normal throwing range, but despite that, her wrist continued to twist as she spun the sling at her side. She released one bullet, then two. There was something less menacing to the show of mists that Hector displayed when, as he emerged with a smirk on his lips, his eyes aglow, that he was struck twice in the face by rocks. Rocks that busted his nose and cut his brow.

"The hell!" Hector shouted as he staggered backwards, "My Lord! Protect me!" But protect him his Lord did not. Whatever abyssal hole his Lord slinked out of, his Lord had dove right back into <1d20+3-1 = 18. Hit! 1d8 for 5 damage>. There was a soft click, a twang that seemed to reverberate within the halls. Hector felt a sudden pressure followed by a soft tearing sensation. The pain was at first dull, like a pair of Human fingers had pressed to his belly. He felt a soft burning sensation, like standing at a distance from a campsite. A trifle. But, why did it constantly burn his skin? Why did it specifically burn in his stomach. Hector had to know and when he looked, he shuddered. He could see the black-and-red feathers attached to the wooden shaft of a crossbow bolt that had struck him.

"My Lord..." Hector got out before he tipped backward to the ground in a heap. He was dead.

<The party advances to level 4. To be continued...>
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

User avatar
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:33 am
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Dungeon from a Distant Star [Blackmoor/Solo]

Post by Boddynock » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:11 pm

With the leveling of the party, I wanted to post the updated roster to the Order of the Falling Star

Ichabod Westlake
Race: Human (Thonian) / Class: Rogue (4)
Action Bonus: +4 / HP: 21 / AC: 12 (Leather) / MV: 9 / Current HP: 21

Cutter +1: Attk: +5, D: 1d6+1
Dagger: D: 1d4
Light Crossbow: D: 1d8, R: Far, RoF: 1

Gear: Backpack, Canteen, Rations, Torches (x3), Oil (x3), Thieves' Tools, Rope, Grappling Hook, Deck of Cards / Wealth: 185 GP

Saving Throw: 16 / ST: Modifiers: +3 vs. Dodge Saves.

Traits: Human (1/day): Normal movement. Normal vision. Once per day a Human may roll a d20 twice and take the better of the two rolls. Requires a Long Rest to recharge.

Stealthy: +4 to Stealth Checks.

Sneak Attack: When striking with surprise, a Rogue deals x3 their normal damage.

###

Desta Noth
Race: Human (Peshwah) / Class: Fighter (4)
Action Bonus: +4 / HP: 29 / AC: 17 (+1 Chainmail; Shield) / MV: 5 / Current HP: 29

Scimitar: D: 1d8
Bow: D: 1d6, R: Near, RoF: 2

Gear: Backpack, Rations, Torches (x3), Oil (x2), Rope, Canteen / Wealth: 10 GP

Saving Throw: 16 / ST Modifier: +3 vs. Physical

Traits: Human (1/day): Normal movement. Normal vision. Once per day a Human may roll a d20 twice and take the better of the two rolls. Requires a Long Rest to recharge.

Armored Combatant: Add +1 AC due to expertise in Armor.

Stunt-person: +1 to any Stunt the Fighter attempts (jumping, swimming, swinging from a vine)

Multi-Attack: May make 2 attacks with a melee weapon the fighter currently possess.

###

Kothkar of Cerulean Scales; (Kothkar)
Race: Dragonborn (Blue) / Class: Sorcerer (4)
Action Bonus: +4 / HP: 19 / AC: 11 (Robes + Scales) / MV: 12 / Current HP: 19

Dagger (x2): D: 1d4
Light Crossbow: D: 1d8, R: Far, RoF: 1
Lightning Bolt: D: 1d8, R: Near, RoF: 1

Gear: Backpack, Canteen, Rations, Lantern, Oil (x3), Game (Set of Drakes), Inkpen, Ink, Spellbook, Journal / Wealth: 115 GP

Saving Throw: 16 / ST: Modifiers: +3 vs. Will Saves.

Traits: Dragonborn (1 + Recharge 6 on d6): Normal size. Darkvision. Normal movement. +1 AC due to scales. Once per day a Dragonborn may make a Breath Attack (Lightning Bolt) against a Near target for 1d8 damage. Every round after the first use requires a 6 on a d6 to recharge. Breath automatically recharges on a Short Rest.

Magic: Uses per Day: 5 / Current Uses: 4

Detect Magic (R: Sight, D: 3 Mins, Save: None): Detects spells and magic items within the sight of the caster (60 ft.). The spell merely detects the magic and requires a Lore (Arcana) check to decipher the specifics.

Light (R: Touch, D: 30 Mins, Save: None): Object touched glows like a torch for the duration of the spell. The color is up to the caster and can include Polar Blue, Mint Green, Passionate Red, Prismatic Purple, or Sunlight Yellow. No matter the color, the Light never loses illumination.

Mage Hand (R: Near, D: 3 Rounds, Save: Possible): Has 5-pound telekinesis for 3 rounds. Objects unattended automatically move while objects attended by a sentient being get a Saving Throw to continue holding onto their item (this is considered a Dodge Save for the purposes of Modifiers).

Magic Missile (R: Far, D: Instant, Save: None): Fires silver colored arcane darts that deal 1d6+1 per dart. Every 2 levels the Caster gains another dart that can target the same victim or fired at a different victim. Current dart total is: 2

Shocking Grasp (R: Touch, D: Instant, Save: None): Touch Attack that delivers 3d6 points of damage (maximum is 5d6 at 5th). Targets who are wearing predominately metal (Chainmail, Plate) offer the caster an Advantage to their touch attack.

###

Becca Threesorrows
Race: Halfling (Docrae) / Class: Witch (4)
Action Bonus: +4 / HP: 17 / AC: 13 (Leather) / Movement: 9 / Current HP: 17

Dagger: D: 1d4, R: Thrown
Sling: Attk: +5, D: 1d4, R: Thrown, RoF: 2
Staff: D: 1d6, Special: Reach

Gear: Backpack, Rations, Holy Symbol (Holly), Oil (x2), Torch (x3), Inkpen, Ink, Scroll Case, Scrolls (x3), Journal / Wealth: 90 GP

Saving Throw: 16 / ST Modifiers: Will +3

Traits: Halfling, Docrae (1/day): Small Size. Slow Movement. Normal Vision. +1 Attack with Thrown Weapons. Once per day may re-roll a Save vs. Fear, Stealth, or Sling attack of their choice. This requires a Short Rest to recharge.

Short Stature: +2 to Stealth, +1 Armor Class, Disadvantage on Feats of Strength (Lifting, pushing)

Magic (Witch): Uses Per Day: 4 / Current Uses: 4

Charm Person (R: Near, D: 3 Hours, Save: Negates): Target creature is charmed to regard caster as their friend. Said creature will serve the caster to the best of its abilities, even fighting its one time friends and allies to protect the caster. Orders that lead to outright destruction (such as a command to jump off a cliff) will automatically break the spell.

Cure Wounds (R: Touch, D: Instant, Save: ½ Damage): Cure target 2d8+3 Hit Points. Target Undead is hurt when touched by this spell and may make a save for ½ damage.

Detect Magic (R: Sight, D: 3 Mins, Save: None): Detects spells and magic items within the sight of the caster (60 ft.). The spell merely detects the magic and requires a Lore (Arcana) check to decipher the specifics.

Gust of Wind (R: Near, D: Instant, Save: Negates): Creates a sudden vortex that automatically knocks 1HD or less creatures prone. Creatures at or below Caster's level (but are not 1 HD) may make a Save to negate. Non-magical flames are snuffed out.

Shape Stone/Wood (R: Touch, D: 3 Rounds/3 Cubic Feet/ Save: None): Witch shapes stone or wood how she sees fit.

Tree Shape (R: Self, D: 3 Hours, Save: None): Caster takes the form of a tree native to the area she currently is in. She can do nothing else but remain in tree form, but she can return to normal self as a free action at anytime.
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

User avatar
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:33 am
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Dungeon from a Distant Star [Blackmoor/Solo]

Post by Boddynock » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:06 am

Day 3 - Evening/Night

<Weather Check: 6 - Heavy Clouds>

Looking up at the massive hole that the saucer had created to get into the chamber Ichabod could see the sky as shades of deep purple from a sinking sun combined with heavy clouds. Breaking up the monotony were soft white flashes and distant rumbles of thunders. Another storm was rolling through the Dismal. He knew before the night was done the cave would see some rain. He turned back from the hole to stare at the tilted saucer. The parts of the hull that he could see were smooth, no markings or etchings. He saw no name, though even if there was he imagined there'd be little chance it would be common. He wasn't alone in looking at the fallen star. Kothkar looked up, his head tilted with mild interest. The Dragonborn stood next to Becca, who was bent over working a tea kettle over the Frog Cult's fire. The cult would not need it. Desta stood apart from the party in the shadowy distance. Her attention was elsewhere, her brows furrowed in intense concentration. She was getting used to the heft of a mace.

"Aren't you concerned that your mace looks evil?" Ichabod asked after breaking away from his cloud watching.

"Kothkar says he only detected enhancement magics from an artificer," Desta replied as she kept a firm grip on the mace. She practiced her attacks as she no longer could rely on the nimble narrow blade to parry blows. A blunt mace was a straightforward, no-nonsense descendant of the club. Where she once relied on the speed of the blade, she now had to utilize the shield or protect her while she brought the spiked tip of the flanged mace down upon her intended. She sighed as she found her movements slow and cumbersome. At least the mace felt light in her hands.

"What's on your mind, Westlake?" She asked.

"Oh, nothing, you did notice we have something that fell from space sitting right here?" Ichabod asked.

Desta shrugged, "My people have been fighting invaders from the stars for a while," she noted.

"Yeah, but it's not like you ever saw one. You mean to tell me your not in a little bit of awe at seeing this craft?" Ichabod asked.

Desta thought for a moment after swinging her mace again. She had a brief smile at that swing, it had a nice even motion. "Maybe a little awe but given the state the craft and the fact nothing has emerged to speak or challenge us, I imagine we'll be disappointed when we get in there and find nothing but bodies..."

Meanwhile, Kothkar and Becca sat together. Kothkar followed the two Humans with a slight interest. His blue hands rested on his knees as the pungent scent of tea filtered into his nostrils. Becca's tea, a Docrae secret that involved herbs that she imported out of Tenh. He spoke up, "Do you think Ichabod likes Desta?"

"I imagine they are fond of each other as friends," Becca said, "What do you mean by likes?"

"Like as in a mate," Kothkar replied.

"You do know we are out here because Ichabod is trying to impress some other woman, Kothkar," Becca reminded. Her smile grew at the affectionate whistle of her kettle. Redleaf tea, piping hot, with a touch of spice. Docrae slingers and witches brew the tea before a fight to help relax their muscles so as not be slowed by stress. Docrae needed their adroitness as laxity could spell their doom. They lacked the muscles and brawn of the tall races, or the great powers of the arcane like the Gnomes. She poured her drink into a chipped cup she carried and offered a second cup to Kothkar who took up the drink.

Kothkar said after a pause, "I know but they spend a lot of time together."

"We spend a lot of time together, Blue. Would you read anything deeper into our relationship?" She asked.

Kothkar sat and pondered before he said, "No, but what we have is different. For one, we are different races, secondly, we are content in our friendship."

"And you do not believe Ichabod and Desta are not content in theirs?"

Kothkar shook his head and said, "Hard to tell. Humans shift their affections pretty quickly. How many tales have we heard about men fighting wars for women or cursing a woman's betrayal? Most Dragonborn stories are about things that truly matter... the Treasure Horde and the glory we bring to our scales."

"What glory can a blue bring?" Becca asked a tone of curiosity present in her voice. She knew that the Reds and Golds were of the highest order in Rodhin society. A fact that she recalled her friend complaining about.

"A Blue is the second tier, below the Reds and Golds. We are the mages and stormborn of the Dragon world. Some people like to say Silvers are our equal, but they are but high minded posers. Always thinking they look regal because the way their light shines off their scales." Kothkar's head turned when he heard Ichabod's boot steps towards the fire. His eyes flicked from the Thonian to the Peshwah and back again, all the while he lifted and sipped his tea.

"How are you two doing?" Ichabod asked. He took up a cup of tea after Becca told him all was well. In the distance was another rumble of thunder.

"Alright, group. Let's take a look at that saucer," Ichabod said.
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

User avatar
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:33 am
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Dungeon from a Distant Star [Blackmoor/Solo]

Post by Boddynock » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:56 am

Day 3 - Evening Continued

The party rounded what originally appeared to be a smooth and solid craft made of metal. The going was long, starting from their current position, near the point where the cavern entrance met the chamber, the party moved a solid 90 yards <That is 83 Meters for our Metric minded readers> before they found a point where a lower portion of the sauce was equal to the ground. Nearing the tear they saw blackened metal where fires dead fires scorched the wreck. Near the hole were two figures. One looked Human with a pale tinge to his brown skin. Desta noted, her lips tight, "It's one of them."

"One of what?" Ichabod asked.

"One of the so-called Gods that plagued the Hak," She took a few steps towards the bodies <Notice +4 with a result of 15>

While the Human from the stars was clearly visible, Desta also had a look at the other 'body' that lay near the man. It appeared as a dark gray mound with a gentle crest for a crown, like a giant mushroom. Underneath the flared based she saw a mass of thin round tentacles that were spread across that neither twitched or reacted to her presence. As she peered closer, she noticed a straight line near the center of the crest, the line was flanked on either side by a pair of fleshy stalks tipped with spherical points. She took a step back as she saw her reflection in the dead black iris of an eye. She realized that was what topped the stalk, an eye, a pair of eyes with a mouth. What looked like a smooth mushroom was, in fact, a once living creature. Desta swallowed spit and took a step back.

Her body tenses when she bumps into Ichabod <Does she overreact? Very Unlikely with 25% the result is 88%>

"Are you okay?" Ichabod asked.

Desta shook her head and gestured, "My tribe, my people have never seen one of these before."

Meanwhile, Kothkar and Becca stepped towards the hole itself. The inside of the saucer was smooth gray corridors and floors. There were three breaks in the otherwise smooth walls with small gray panels on the right, roughly at a level where a Human hand could reach. The even lines on the sides and bottom reminded him of breaks in a door.

"Your records ever say anything about this, Blue?" Becca asked.

Kothkar shook his head, "No. We knew of falling stars but never something so specific as a giant metal ship." Kothkar stepped close to the first door. He looked down at the door and reached with his clawed finger <(1-50) Push Down and (51-100) Push Up results of 45%>

There is a soft whine, a grinding of metal, and a flicker of lights. Kothkar looked over his shoulder at Becca who shrugged at him, "If that was a door in a dungeon, I would have called you a fool for messing with that until Ichabod had a look."

"This doesn't scare you?" Kothkar gestured around him at the corridor of a metal craft that fell from space.

"Oh, this scares me. I just don't know if you did something foolish," Becca replied.

After a pause, Kothkar tried another switch. The door opened in a dimly lit room of metal pedestals. Most of them were open, save for one, casing appeared to emerge from a slit around the border of the pedestal. The casing was made of two halves that came together in the center. There was a fine line that ran along the center that represented the border between the two halves. Kothkar had to peer hard to see it. The casting was hard as Kothakr rapped his knuckles upon the smooth surface. It was translucent enough that he could peer through the other side with the casing of only slight distortion. The casing was generally round, with a point the very top, like an eggshell resting in a serving goblet. Each of the pedestals was connected to both the ceiling and the metal floors by tubes.

<Kothkar & Becca's notice checks are d20+4 with results respectively of 8 & 11>

As Becca walked around and looked over the pedestals, she felt her boot make contact with a small object that rattled across the floor. She followed after it, dodging wires until her hand closed around what appeared as a soft clear bead.

<Becca's identification check results in 17. She could sense occult energy radiating from the stone>

She called Kothkar over while she tapped in her sight. Like all magic-users, those who drew their mana from the arcane, the divine, or natural order, all were gifted with The Sight. <Identification with Detect Magic. -1 Mana Becca. Results in Natural 20>

<Do Ichabod and Desta find anything outside? Even 50% results in 11% Yes!>

"It's an Ioun stone," Becca said, holding the object in the air. When dormant, an Ioun stone looked like a beautiful glass bead. Perfectly round and smooth with a slight warmth to the touch. When one attuned themselves to the stone, however, the bead did more than just serve as fine ornamentation.

"What's an Ioun stone?" Desta asked.

<Does Kothkar know with him being from ancient Rodhin? 75% Chance results in 91%>

Kothkar shook his head, "I never took 'Ancient History' about their origin. I was busy in my personal field of study."

"What was that?" Ichabod asked.

"History of Herbology..." He looked at the others, specifically Ichabod and Desta. Becca had previously appreciated his work, they had a common enjoyment of plants. As he noted, perhaps to Becca's disappointment, "It was an easy course. I was more interested in casting attack spells than reading dusty tomes about how the planet once blew up. I mean, I did pass my studies in Herbology History. I know a lot about plants."

"I can vouch for that, but while we don't know the history of Ioun stones, we do know what they are. They are stones with an enchantment placed upon them. Once you attune yourself to the stone, it will hover above your head and impart its enchantment to you."

"Do you know what this one will do for you?" Ichabod tilted his head to the bead that Becca held.

"It has a mark of protection imbued on it. I don't know what kind of protection, whether it is a general shield or energy protection, but it will protect something. I can activate it if you like. You want to try it out?" Becca asked.

Ichabod shook his head no. He didn't mind magic, such as magic armor or rune forged steel for blades. A stone that floated over his head and gave him magic was something else entirely."

Desta raised a bead in her hand and asked, "What about this one?"
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

User avatar
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:33 am
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Dungeon from a Distant Star [Blackmoor/Solo]

Post by Boddynock » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:00 pm

<Kothkar: -1 Mana Detect Magic coupled with 19 Lore - Arcana check>

With his eyes aglow, Kothkar looked over the stones. One blue, one pale green. He rolled the pair for a time, clenched and held them close. He'd put a single stone between his thumb and forefinger to lift to his eye. He showed the first one, the blue and said, "As we know, protection. The pale green one has a mark of sustainment. Meaning this stone will sustain you without necessity such as liquid, food, or air. For exact specifications, we'll have to go see an expert on the matter, such as the Artificer's Guild or the King's College of Blackmoor. Would anyone object if I carried them?"

All that was present was Becca and Desta. Both of them shook their heads no.

Ichabod looked at the other two doors that Becca and Kothkar had yet to try. He it all in and thought he was doing rather well: 'I'm staring at a craft that fell from the stars. All I'm seeing is metal, weird lanterns, and doors that open by themselves. Nothing to it.' He glanced back at the others before he stepped under the jagged overhang. He was careful not to touch the sides as, despite not knowing the metal used to build the craft, he knew it was probably sharp.

<Which door is checked first? 1 - 2 - 3? The result is 3>

The third room, which Kothkar told him how to work the doors, each door had an identical set of blue buttons, but back to the third room, was a mess. A set of wires sparked above him as the doors slid open <Dodge check +7 = 25>. Though it was quite a shock, he easily dodged a set of sparks that flew close enough and hot enough that they could singe his skin. He used his hand to wave away trailing smoke that had begun to eek from the opening he made. All he could see on a visual scan was several coffins made of glass and steel. Every coffin he had seen was no mere standing structure. Each of them had tubes and wires that were connected to the ship. He shook his head and made his way down to the nearest door <Door #2 of 3>

The second chamber that Ichabod came upon, he was ready. He had his sword in his right hand and a left hand extended before him. His eyes peered through the dim light, ready to spot and engage the danger that may have lurked within the ship. He gingerly touched the activate button and the door and nearly leaped back as the door slid open. The room was bathed by a soft white light that revealed from his limited perspective racks of spades, picks, and tools. A few nuts and bolts had fallen to the floor, but much of the equipment of the stars had remained upon their hooks and containers. He was surprised by what he saw, the way seeing such tools almost humanized well, a creature that looked like a large mushroom with tentacles and eyes on the end of flesh stalks. He took a few steps into the room as he began to look over the gear.

<Notice roll 13. A Random encounter check of 1-in-8 is in place characters mess with the craft. The result is 2. The room is empty of encounters>

While his boots scattered nuts and bolts away and he saw only gear strewn across the ground, Ichabod was very aware of tension in the air. Were all the crew dead? None of the Froggys had bodies in their camp. They might not have even begun a ship-wide search of the craft they intended to claim. As he rounded the front side of the center island of shelves and racks, he found a sight tucked away in the corner. A single article of clothing that reminded him of a suit of armor. Yet, while the pieces had a hardness to it. None of it looked like it had the hardness of plate. Hanging above the suit was a fully enclosed helm with a silvery visor which set at the level that Human eyes were.

<Is the party behind him? 50% Yes with a Result of 01%>

"That's quite a suit," Becca said behind him. Ichabod stiffened for a moment, but he did not spin with a weapon slash or anything too hasty. He recognized Becca's voice on the second word. He turned his head to her and said, "Do you mind taking a look with your sight?"

"Hmmm..." Becca reached out and took the gauntlet of the suit. She noted, "The fabric seems tough but soft." <Lore Arcane +4 = 22> "I sense no magic in the suit. I could look, but it will probably confirm my suspicions," She looked at Ichabod and said, "What we have here is a suit from a falling star. If we can move it back to Vestfold it should be enough."

<To be continued...>
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

User avatar
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:33 am
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Dungeon from a Distant Star [Blackmoor/Solo]

Post by Boddynock » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:57 pm

The first main haul that the four entered was a scene of carnage passed. Bodies lay strewn across the floor in a scene that depicted two separate factions in a struggle. On one side were the bodies of what appeared to be Humans with a pallor to their skin that laid next to what was left of the gray lumps. On the opposite, closer to the door that the party stepped through to enter the scene, were a pair of soft pink sacks with banana yellow beaks jutting from the flesh looking sacks. Like the gray lumps they had seen earlier, these sacks had a set of tentacles that ended in barbed points at the very tip and along the sides closest to the tip.

<Does anyone recognize these sacks with beaks? 75% Yes with a result of 75%>

Kothkar reached his padded blue hand towards on the sacks. He let out an irritated hiss at the sudden cool sensation of secreted moisture coated his hand. Vigorously shook his hand downwards twice in order to discard the mucus green fluid. Despite the annoyance he filled in the party, "These are Grell."

<Anyone else knows about Grell? 60% Yes with a result of is 75%, 37%, and 18%. It is determined by the GM that Desta, living on the steppes, knows little about what she sees before her."

"I thought Grell were from the Underdark," Ichabod said as he stepped through bodies and detritus of ship parts that littered the ground.

"They look strange even for the Underdark," Kothkar said, "I take some measure of comfort knowing they are from space."

Desta looked around and shook her head, "I have no idea what any of this stuff is, except for those Humans. All I see are either brains with tentacles of mushrooms with tentacles," <Desta takes time to Notice around her. She rolls a 13 Notice. There is a 1-in-8 chance the party is surprised as she got over a 10. The result is: 5>

Desta raised a hand and hissed aloud to get the attention of others, "Do you hear that?" She asked.

<Ichabod, Kothkar, and Becca each roll a Notice check. The results are 13, Natural 20, and 6 respectively.>

Kothkar looked up into the ceiling. Tucked underneath his scaly crown were a pair of auditory holes that heard a soft metallic whine. From the ceiling four figures made of dark gray metal with an angular shape. A pair of vertical red lights glared at the Dragon born. The soft whine came from the whirling blade that formed the center of the construct. The lights tilted until he, Desta, and Ichabod were in their sights. He pointed and shouted, "Look out!"

<Initiative Round #1 - GM: 17, Ichabod: 23, Desta: 14, Kothkar: 19, Becca: 27>

<-1 Magic Kothkar for Magic Missile for 7 dmg on Hack #1. Ichabod holds until one closes in on him. Hack #2 attacks Becca for a roll of Natural 20 and 15. Both hits and deals a total of 9 dmg (Becca). Hacks #1 and #3 attack Kothkar. The rolls 18 & 3 and deals 3 damage (Kothkar). Hack #3 misses with rolls of 4 & 5. Hack #4 is attacked by Ichabod as he delayed and it closed on him. He rolls a 24 & 16 with Shortsword and Dagger, dealing 8 points. Desta attacks Hack #2 on Becca where she rolls a 15 and deals 9 dmg to Hack #2>

The buzzing blades rushed the party. One was struck by two silver darts that left Kothkar's hands. While the concussion knocked the machine askew, it still managed to fly past and cut into Kothkar's leg. A second rushed by Becca. She had thought she had sidestepped the machine in time, only to see a spot of red form on her torso. She had been cut, lacerated with a deep wound. The third joined his fellow device in hacking at Kothkar. However, the first had mad maneuvering difficult and enabled Kothkar to stay out of the reach of the device. Ichabod stood his ground with blades drawn. He waited for the construct that glared at him to fly forward and engage him. He played his feet fast and loose but even his finest sword work was unable to stop the spinning blade from his cutting his arm. Desta stepped from the side with mace drawn. How apropos as she felt her sword might not have cut through the metal skin. What you couldn't cut you might be able to bash to pieces and that is what Desta did. She glared at the stricken device that hovered above her and Becca Threesorrows.

"You okay, Becca?" She asked.

"I'll be better once I get this bleeding under control."

<Round #2: GM: 7, Ichabod: 24, Desta: 17, Kothkar: 25, Becca: 22>

<Kothkar -1 Mana. Casts Shocking Grasp with Advantage against Hack #3. Ultimately rolls a 21. Hit! 13 damage. Hack #3 destroyed. Ichabod attacks twice and rolls an 8 and 21 with a dagger. He deals 3 dmg to Hack #4. Becca -1 Mana. Becca casts Cure Wounds and heals herself 2d8+4 = 9. Desta attacks Hack #2 and rolls a 14. Hit! 6 dmg destroys Hack #2. Hack #1 Attacks Kothkar with 2 attacks rolling a 17 and Natural 1. Hack #4 attacks Ichabod for 17 & 12 hit rolls and 10 dmg>

Kothkar's hisses at the undamaged Hack. Even as the first Hack cut his shoulder, the tips of his clawed blue hands glowed an eldritch white as he reached a few inches outside of the third Hack's whirling blades. The light on his fingers leaped in the form of bolts of lightning that raked across the outer hull of the device. The discharge caused a pair of explosions to leap from the skin of the device as it spun and crashed to the ground. Even the Hack that cut him seemed to have a problem in controlling its momentum.

Becca stepped back from the blade. She used Desta to cover her retreat, for which she was grateful She lifted her hand and channeled her will, focusing on the warmth of life that poured into her and mended her wounds. One might have considered it odd, a Docrae named 'Threesorrows' having any dealings with life or healing. She, of course, knew the truth of her surname. The Sorrows belonged to her family as a whole, not hers alone.

As Becca healed, Desta watched and shifted her body as she looked over the whirling machine. A few inches forward and the Hack was in her reach. Perfection for her new attack style with her acquired Mace. She brought the flanged head down in a second blow that caused the machine to crash hard against the ground. Her second attack caused smoke to leak from the machine's chassis and hover in the air.

Ichabod yelled aloud as the Hack bypassed his sword and drove itself underneath his arm into his torso. He was carried back several steps as the blades cut through his arm and into his flesh. While his sword arm was useless, he brought his dagger and drove it into the side. He gritted his teeth as he felt the pain rush through him. He knew he was close to something, the way his dagger dug within the machine.

"Hold on, Ichabod!" Desta shouted. She ran towards him with mace in hand.

"I'm trying..." Ichabod said, his voice was weak.

<Round #3: GM: 16, Ichabod: 27, Desta: 20, Kothkar: 27, Becca: 24>

<Ichabod rolls a 13 and deals 3 dmg to the Hack. Hack #4 destroyed. Kothkar attacks Hack #1 and rolls a 14 with a dagger attack. 4 points destroyed the device. Desta reaches Ichabod and provides comfort. Becca reaches Ichabod and heals him 14 points.

Ichabod saw his life flash before his eyes. The times he spent in Vestfold with his mother. She had fled slavery from the Afridhi controlled east, across Tenh, to finally make a life for the two of them in Vestfold. What would she say if they met in the afterlife? What God did she follow? Hopefully, they got along well with Hersh, his chosen patron... But before he could count himself among the dead, Ichabod's blade sunk deep enough into the flying death machine to cause a soft crack and immediate destruction of the device. He fell back and let out a sigh of relief. He felt the world had slowed down, even moving his head felt like a feat. He heard Desta's voice in a far off, distant manner.

"Stay with me, Ichabod. Just hold my hand," She said.

He turned his head to her and tried to smile at her. It would be alright, he wanted to tell her. No matter what happened. Also, sorry for dragging you all into this dangerous situation... he thought all of that before Becca touched his arm and he felt his body knit itself together. The world had returned to a normal speed. In a blink and cough, he continued to ache but otherwise had recovered quite quickly.

"What the hell were these things?" Ichabod asked.

"The kind of hazards my people experienced in the deserts," Desta said grimly.

"More stories about the Gods?" Ichabod asked. The flippant tone was met with a disapproving frown from Desta who dropped his hand.
"Not stories, the truth of what lurks in the Haks," She said.

Kothkar's blade destroyed his opponent as he said, "Where do we go from here?"
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Post Reply

Return to “The Crystal Globe”