[TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.
Pop-Tik
Bugbear

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Post by Pop-Tik »

With a side long look at the others.....

They were blonde, right?

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Post by Princess Strega »

Auren responds,"We could set-up an ambush, and being that I am somewhat blonde I could be the bait."

torkill13
Bugbear

Post by torkill13 »

"No offense, you don't look near young enough," Horvik replied. He turned back to the sergeant. "I agree. Never came across a goblin working alone. They always run in packs. Yet alone having something enchanted to grant them invisibility..." The fighter shook his head. "I agree with my new friend, seems like some sort of mage or something is involved. Where might a powerful mage setup shop around here? Likely somewhat out of the way. You mentioned caves, catacombs, and ruins..." Horvik paused for a moment in thought, then continued. "I am not too keen on the arcane arts, but folks like that always seem to be pretty educated. Hiding out in caves and catacombs doesn't seem likely. Not very accommodating to conduct their studies. But ruins... yeah, that might still have buildings in tact to provide adequate shelter and privacy. Where are these ruins you spoke of? What were they in their glory years?"

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

"Perhaps I can shed some light on that."

The voice is warm, and resonant, coming from behind you.

Standing in the doorway is a tall, rather broad-shouldered older Thyatian, his clean-shaven face square-jawed, but his cheeks rounded. Blue eyes twinkle along with the grandfatherly smile. His hair is cut short in the Thyatian style, and white as the tabard he wears over his finely-cut, but simple clothing. A twelve-pointed star picked out in golden thread decorates the tabard's front, and is belted by a wide patriarch's sash: plain gray wool, lined with prayer runes embroidered with silver and platinum thread.

The man waves absently at the sergeant, who was halfway out of his seat.

"No time for pleasantries, Arthol, what with another three turned up missing."

The dark-haired man frowns. "So the rumors out of Verge turned out to bear fruit."

The older man nods, looking much older as his smile has faded in breaking the news.

His smile reignites, and he clutches a thick tome he'd been carrying to his chest. "But where are my manners? New faces in town." He glances down at your hands, and smiles "Well, the lack of irons must mean the trouble you bring Arthol is of his making, and not your own.

"I am Halaran, Baron of these parts, and one of the patriarchs of the Karameikan Church. No, no, as I said to Arthol, please don't kneel. We are not at court, and can dispense with the usual pleasantries." He rolls his eyes exaggeratedly. "And if any of you ask 'if it please Your Grace,' I think I will sick up my morning''s breakfast.

"That said, welcome to Threshold. And you are....?"
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

mah9
Gnoll

Post by mah9 »

"I am Haldon, late of Highforge. My comrades and I seem to have stumbled into your mystery here. I extend the offer of my services to you in this matter."

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Post by Princess Strega »

torkill13 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:02 pm
"No offense, you don't look near young enough," Horvik replied.
Are you kidding me? I'm 18 years old. That's damn young for an elf. My people live several hundreds of years, barring some violent death.

Pop-Tik
Bugbear

Post by Pop-Tik »

RobJN wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:52 am
"That said, welcome to Threshold. And you are....?"
Shifting his weight from foot to foot, he momentarily stopped as he announced...... Shannon.....Shannon Wells, I'm from out of town....originally. I reside at the loggers camp where I hunt and trap wild animals in the forests nearby.

He paused to shift his weight again and then continued....I knew of Petra, now she is gone.

Th whole time he said this from the hidden recess of his cloak and hood.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

The Baron looks from face to face to face, then sets the book down on Arthol's desk.

"At the risk of sounding as if I'm proselytizing for the 'other team,'" he says, with something of a grin at the sergeant, "how familiar are you with the Song of Halav?"
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.

torkill13
Bugbear

Post by torkill13 »

Unsure of the customs in this land when talking with a Lord, Horvik addressed the Baron directly. "Hail Lord Halaran. Horvik of the Hillgard clan in Soderfjord, far to the North."

"I am unfamiliar with many of the legends of your lands, but as a warrior of Odin, Halav is a name I recognize." Horvik shifted on his feet as he tried to recall the stories from his homeland. "Our skaalds sing of a great warrior that fought against powerful gnoll-like beasts that plagued our lands. Some name him Vidar, but others call him Halav. Either way, he must have been a great warrior, because he even won the patronage of Odin himself. Perhaps your song tells of a similar story?"

torkill13
Bugbear

Post by torkill13 »

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:23 am
Are you kidding me? I'm 18 years old. That's damn young for an elf. My people live several hundreds of years, barring some violent death.
Horvik looked at the Auren. "You may live to see multiple generations of my family come and go, but for now, I am nearly twice your age. Don't get worked up over the small stuff or your centuries-long life are going to be dreadfully long. Besides, I merely meant that these girls seem barely out of childhood. You, while young, are clearly no longer a child, at least to a human," he smiled at the young elf.

mah9
Gnoll

Post by mah9 »

"Hmm. The "Song of Halav"? Apart from what Horvik has already said about the ancient battles against gnolls, I have no knowledge. Apart from him being one of the Immortals worshiped by the Traladarans."

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

The baron nods. "About what I'd expect. And not to worry," he chuckles, "I won't even attempt to sing it, neither in its native Old Traladaran, nor the High or Low Thyatian translations. Several of the verses, though, make some rather interesting references.

"I have several different versions in my library. This particular one is also nicely illuminated, with plates and woodcuts." He opens the book on Arthol's desk, and pages though it about two-thirds of the way. He picks the pages gently, as they are time-worn and brittle in places. The once-black ink has faded to a pale nearly-blue. He steps back and gestures to the two-page spread. Crawling across the facing pages are the Old Traladaran and High Thyatian translation, side-by-side. Bordering them are rough depictions of what can only be the Three. But they are accompanied by a fourth figure, her dress a stark contrast to Queen Petra's, in that it is plain and white, as is the small figure's hair: obviously fair where Petra's is long and dark. The smaller figure holds out her hands to the Queen, who is looking at something cupped within, drawn to be dark, but dazzling.

The verses accompanying the image are those describing the Queen, glimpsing Halav's fate.

The baron turns back a handful of pages. The Three in the woodcut are depicted standing on a hill, the Queen's hand outstretched, walls bursting up from the ground in the background. Again, the smaller, lighter-haired figure stands by her side, the same dark-but-dazzling... something.. cupped in small hands.

The baron shows a few more pages, each along the same lines: the Queen, or Zirchev, accompanied by the white-gowned, conspicuously lighter-haired girl, who bears the stone.

"The Traladarans are usually a darker-haired, dark-eyed people," the baron says. "It wasn't until the Vandars came down from the North and intermingled that lighter shades of hair and eye became more common. And that was well after the Three had ascended to the ranks of the Immortals." He arches an eyebrow.
Rob

mah9
Gnoll

Post by mah9 »

Haldon looks carefully over the pages in front of him.

"Aside from the fact the victims were blonde, and there is a blonde on some these pages, what tangible evidence is there of a link?"

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

The baron taps at his chin. "The fact that so many have disappeared, and all of them bear the same general features...

He taps the illuminated depiction. "That appearance, I think, is the link."

Arthol's frown lightens. "So... whoever it is behind this is just... fishing?"
Rob

torkill13
Bugbear

Post by torkill13 »

Horvik looked at the pages as the Baron explained, but he was not understanding. "The resemblance of Fiala to the girl in the picture is clear. Who is she and what is she holding? Does the story not say, even though the artist included her to his illustration?" The confused man scratched his head with his burly hand. "Does this cockeyed child snatcher think Fiala, or one of these other girls, is the same girl as in the picture? Possibly immortal like the others?"

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

"She is never named," the baron explains. "At least, not in any of the accounts I have read. Some bits of verse refer to 'the Chylde of the Three,' 'of flaxen hair and pallor fair and azure eye.' There is also mention of 'she who bears Zirchev's gilt,' and 'she alone whose hands withstand the earthen touch of Eye.'"

"That can only be the Eye of Traldar," Arthol says. "The Terrible Stone." He makes a closed thumb-and-middle-finger sign against Evil.

"Terrible only in the hands of those of ill intent," the baron corrects. "At least, by some accounts. Some say only the Blood of the Three can wield it properly. Some say only those pure of heart. Or the Innocent."

"And then, only on Soldain, and it will grant your heart's desire" Arthol quips, rolling his eyes. "Now if the legends just said which Soldain, so nobody'd turn into a statue for just looking at it cross-eyed. Not that anyone's laid eyes on it since Halav's Victory."

"Actually, two have," the baron says, producing another, smaller book he'd had tucked into his belt. "Several hundred years ago, during the Golden Age under Gygar, some of his records indicate that in his excavations, he turned up...." The baron flips through several pages, scanning them, and then reads, slowly. "'.. a most singular and beautiful Stone that shone with the warmth and light of Flame's Equal. And in whose shadows were Seen all Manner of Things. This we bundled up to take to my Making Chambers for further study...'"

The baron looks up. "Of course, the legend of Gygar's Daughters is well known in these parts, since it is in those ruins up north that I found this little bit of journal. He favored his youngest daughter, quick of mind and nimble of finger at her father's side at the lab table. His eldest, Elendorath, could curry no favor, and in a fit of jealousy, spirited away her father's treasure, and turned it to her dark purpose of unmaking his kingdom."

"Aye, it was the stone that twisted her mind," Arthol says, waving his hands. "That story is a lesson in humility and patience, and a warning against grasping for power not fully understood or able to wield."

The baron purses his lips, thoughtfully. "Yes, that's true. But... what I was about to say was that Gygar's youngest was not of his blood. Did you know that?"

Arthol frowns. "What does some long-dead lineage have to do with the price of turnips?"

"She was a foundling," the baron says. "A foundling who's description is an uncanny match for our mystery child." He taps the first manuscript.

"Now, I'm not sure whether or not that makes her immortal, or if the resemblance is merely coincidental. Or perhaps it runs in a family line? Whichever is the case, we won't know for certain until we find them."
Rob

Pop-Tik
Bugbear

Post by Pop-Tik »

Whoah, that's heavy.......

His voice trailed off not knowing what else to say. These stories were not his forte. Still shifting his weight from foot to foot. He was man of action, not words.

mah9
Gnoll

Post by mah9 »

"So from what you are saying, the last known location of this stone is these ruins to the north?So I'm guessing this should be our first shaft dug then?

Haldon pauses and waits for the others to say their piece, then contunues:

"What is known about these ruins today? And are there any current occupants we need to know about?"

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

"The stone -- or stones, the stories are not clear just how many there are -- was lost some time between the end of the 40 Years War against the Beast Men and when the Three ascended to Immortality. Gygar may have unearthed one of the stones, but if he kept it in his castle to the north, it was either stolen by Elendorath and not retrieved, or, if it was reclaimed, then it has either remained undiscovered.... or plundered long ago.

"The ruins to the north -- the castle that overlooks Lake Mistamere -- I am fairly certain was once Gygar's fortress. It has long been abandoned and fallen into ruin. Some of the castle's stones have been used to build homes, businesses, and the Old Wall of the town.

"Every few years, adventurers brave the ruins and cellars, and those that come back sometimes find the occasional trinket, but more often than not, it's the same news: Kobolds, trying to set down roots and build a nest. Mostly they keep to their warrens in the mountains, but every now and then one gets brave enough to settle a little closer to settled lands."

"It's been the better part of a year since the last time," Arthol growls. "Merchants down from Highdell said they saw lights there, some weeks back, and didn't make camp." He shrugs. "When we looked, it appeared to've been another merchant's party..." He trails off, and taps another stack of papers. "The girls arent' the only things gone missing: two cows, three pigs, and a goat, and half a score of chickens from four of the farms closest to the ruins, and there's tracks a-plenty from the sneaky lil' pluckers. We just haven't had time to send anyone in, what with all this." He scowls at the map again.

The baron frowns. "Another cow, so soon? Perhaps that nest is growing faster than we thought."

"Or it's more than kobold mouths that need feeding."

Halaran looks at the group.

"How would you feel about doing some investigating? The Barony would compensate you for your time, of course, and for whatever information you bring back. We do not condone trophy collection, so the barony does not offer any sort of bounty for goblinoid... bits, but ensuring the kobolds are no longer a threat to the area -- whether by word or sword -- would definitely deepen the purse for this task."
Rob

Pop-Tik
Bugbear

Post by Pop-Tik »

Shannon not accustomed to standing still so long had momentarily ceased his shifting from foot to foot.

Lost stones, beast men, disappearing girls, missing animals, castle ruins, kobolds, goblins.......

With a flourish he emphasised.

I'm in.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

The baron’s eyes brighten with his smile as he claps the hunter on the shoulder.

“That’s the spirit!” he crows. “What say the rest of you?”
Rob

torkill13
Bugbear

Post by torkill13 »

The northerner straightened his posture, and adjusted his gear. "Clearing out kobolds and goblins makes me feel right at home. They're nothing compared to the gnolls that infest my homeland, but it is what I am good at," Horvik smiled.

As he thought over the what Arthol had said, he added "Kobolds don't need light. Hell they despise the sun from my experience. So there must be someone else there with them. Maybe the same person that sent that goblin to collect that trinket. Either way, I look forward to cleaning out their infestation in these ruins."

Horvik turned to the two men "What else can you tell us about this place? Have any maps or anything?"

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

Arthol scratches at his beard. "There's not much left to it. The castle sits up on a promontory, looking over the lake, with its back up against one of the smaller spurs branching off of the Black Peaks. All that's left is the curtain wall, and the ground level of the keep itself. The upper floor or floors fell in an age ago, and like Halaran said, were used to build parts of the Old Town wall and the older town buildings.

"Reports from the various adventurers who've swept the place for kobolds in the past have said that the innter gates, and doors of the main keep are still intact -- as would be expected of ironwood from the Dymrak."

"The last band of heroes finally managed to dispatch that tentacled horror lurking just outside the fallen outer gates," the baron says.

"They made quite a fortune, selling those parts to the Magic Users Guild, down in Specularum," Arthol says,"even after they'd paid for those two funerals."
Rob

mah9
Gnoll

Post by mah9 »

"I'm in for this as well, but I think a rest to set ourselves up properly would be useful. I for one have not rested since we got off the boat this morning. And I got no rest on the boat either."

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

The baron nods. "Very well, it's decided. I will send word to the Church of Karameikos in the Temple Quarter. Should you require aid above which our dwarven brother can provide, the Church's services will be available to you at a generous discount. If there is anything else you require, let Sergeant Arthol know, and he can provision you at the garrison's rate."
Rob

Return to “The Crystal Globe”