[TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.
torkill13
Hobgoblin

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Post by torkill13 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:10 pm

RobJN wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:45 pm
"Fiala never came back yesterday. Uncle Cal went to Sergeant Arthol last night, but none of the guards have any news."
Horvik took a swig of his ale and scowled. "Fiala's missing since yesterday? I swear something ain't right in this town. Never seen a place where so many things go missing. When I first got to town, some old wood cutter at the docks was rambling on about something missing. I was still trying to understand the strange accent here, so I really wasn't sure what he was talking about." he paused for a moment trying to remember. He shrugged his shoulders and shook his head. "Hell, I don't know. All I remember is something about tools or lumber and his daughter, but I have no idea which one was missing. Then just last week, while I was working at a warehouse on the West side, some merchant was griping that his stuff wasn't ready because the seamstress hadn't shown up."
Angel Tarragon wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:27 pm
Auren stealthily makes her way back to the tavern to meet up with her comrades. When she does meet up with, she pipes up. Apparently, there is a quite a gaggle of gals missing, she says to them.
Horvik watched the female elf as she entered the inn and took a seat next to the other newcomers. "I don't know what a gaggle is, but more missing girls you say? " he asked. Then a bit louder, he added "I tell ya Arthol's men are about as sharp as a sack of wet mice. Ain't no way they're gonna find out what's happened to them. Hell, I'm willing to wager that this group of newcomers have as good a chance at figuring it out." he sneered. "Either way, the sooner Fiala is back here, the better. The Hook ain't gonna be the same without her."

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:42 pm

torkill13 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:10 pm
Angel Tarragon wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:27 pm
Auren stealthily makes her way back to the tavern to meet up with her comrades. When she does meet up with, she pipes up. Apparently, there is a quite a gaggle of gals missing, she says to them.
Horvik watched the female elf as she entered the inn and took a seat next to the other newcomers. "I don't know what a gaggle is, but more missing girls you say? " he asked. Then a bit louder, he added "I tell ya Arthol's men are about as sharp as a sack of wet mice. Ain't no way they're gonna find out what's happened to them. Hell, I'm willing to wager that this group of newcomers have as good a chance at figuring it out." he sneered. "Either way, the sooner Fiala is back here, the better. The Hook ain't gonna be the same without her."
One of the guardsmen sets his tankard down, rising (somewhat unsteadily) to his feet, and sneers back at the burly axe-man.

"And maybe," he slurs, "if Sharge didn't have ush running all up and down the North Road, knocking on doorsh... we could--"

He is interrupted by the serving girl, his tirade cut short as she catches him in the side with an elbow, sending her stumbling towards the party's table, stew bowls slopping about on the serving tray nearly as wide as she is.....

Everyone, give me a Dexterity Saving Throw.....[d20+Dex mod+ proficiency (if applicable)]
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:30 pm

Dex Saving Throw: 18+7=25
Social Media

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:36 pm

Dex Saving Throw : 4+2 = 6.... oops ! :-D

torkill13
Hobgoblin

Post by torkill13 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:54 pm

mah9
Hobgoblin

Post by mah9 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:21 am

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:27 am

Erevan is now wearing most of his stew.

The rest manage to dodge aside (Auren actually catches her bowl, only spilling a few drops). The guardsman stares down at his stew-splashed boots, face going from sort of red, to mostly red.

All the talk in the common room stops. Only the popping and cracking of the fires in the hearth, and the clatter from the kitchens betray the notion of the hush being magical in origin.

"Why, you little--"

"Anya!" The proprietor bustles up, wringing his hands, and frowning at the small bar cloth as he takes in the mess at another glance. "Terribly sorry," he says, "My niece, she's new... Please, let me make this up to you. Your meals, drinks, they're on the house."

The tension runs out of the guardsman's shoulders, and he smiles broadly at Cal. "That is most gracious--"

The barman scowls. "I was not speaking to you, Guardsman Cristoff."

"But your girl--"

"My 'girl' is still missing," Cal says. He crosses his arms. "Perhaps, after a good night's rest, you and your men will get back to finding her and the others, as your sergeant has ordered you."

Cristoff opens and shuts his mouth several times, his color rising yet again. His jaw clenches, and then he spins on his heel, his chair clattering to the floor as he snatches his gold-trimmed red cloak off the back, stomping towards the southern double doors.

Cal clears his throat, and wags a finger in the direction of the table, where the other guardsmen are trying to rise, finish their drinks, and don their cloaks at the same time.

The lead guardsman jams his fingers into the pouch at his belt, and tosses a handful of cronas into the mess of stew that Anya is mopping at with her already-stew-drenched serving cloth.

"That's the last of my silver this place will ever see," he snarls, and storms out the door. The other three men quickly follow.
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:57 pm

Erevan's first reaction is to turn white in humiliation at being seen covered in dripping stew. But then he takes stock of the larger situation playing out. He stands and starts wiping off the stew with his handkerchief. «Well its a good thing I decided to wait after this meal to change into dry clothes!» then smiles and winks at Anya.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:09 pm

Auren scarfs down the rest of her stew hastily and then helps Anya clean up the rest of the mess.
Social Media

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

mah9
Hobgoblin

Post by mah9 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:47 pm

Smiling to himself as the guardsmen storm out the door, Haldon first helps Anya clean the stew from the floor, and when turns to Cal, "Thank you, but I couldn't possibly see you out of pocket because of the actions of those oafs. But what can you tell us about Fiala? Perhaps we can take a look ourselves, as the guard seem to be occupied elsewhere."

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:59 pm

Cal quickly ushers his guests away from the mess, a shout above the rekindled common room conversation conjuring* several scullions from the kitchens, with yarn mops and buckets of steaming, sudsy water.

The barman scratches at his thinning black hair. "Ah, my Fiala... My eldest, just a few years older than her cousin. Looks much like her, to -- they get it from their mothers' sides of the family. Good Traladaran stock, them. Going to break many a heart, in a few years, I've no doubt. We didn't think much when she didn't come straight back from the market. Gossip with the fishwives, and no doubt a visit to that pretty boy apprentice to the baker...." His eyes go from distant, to flinty. "If I find he's trading more than smiles for a sweet pie, I'll....."

"Uncle Cal!"

"She's a sweet girl. Don't think there's a mean bone in her body. Hard working, Immortals only know how she keeps the orders flowing in this mess of a place at mealtimes...." He clears his throat. "Don't let those buffoons give you a bad impression of Halaran's town guard. The baron's got them stretched thinner than dregs of butter across dwarven rock bread, and a contingent of them is headed out to canvass the outlying farms, come dawn. And.. there's been talk of..." He swallows. "Of... dredging the lake, and the channels, between Fogor and the Windrush banks...."

"I could not possibly ask you to do anything other than keep a sharp eye in your travels. I certainly have very little to offer you by way of ant kind of reward..."

*try saying that ten times fast....
Rob

mah9
Hobgoblin

Post by mah9 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:20 pm

"We'll keep more than an eye out for her, I can assure you. But I ask no reward in return."

Haldon turns to the others. "I may be new to this town, but I can't stand by and do nothing. I'm going togo over to the market and have a look round.
See if I can trace her steps back. And then speak to your "
looking at Horvik "lumberjack and merchant."

torkill13
Hobgoblin

Post by torkill13 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:51 pm

Horvik's posture visibly relaxing as the guards collecting their cloaks and left. "For a moment, I thought we were going to get a chance to see what those guards were made of!" the big man laughed. He listened as Cal explained what he knew about the situation, but said nothing. He nodded as the dwarf talked about having a look around. "I don't normally get involved in other people's affairs, but ain't nothing worse than an empty tankard and Fiala always keeps mine filled. Beside, you have no idea where you are going now do you?"

As they collected there belongings, Horvik walked over to Cal and handed him a big handful of coins. "We'll find out what happened to Fiala, but make sure Anaya there gets some of this for her troubles tonight," he said quietly. When everyone was walking toward the doors, Horvik paused. "Well damn, I just realized I don't even know your names," he laughed again and opened the door.

[OOC: just let me know the costs for all the food and drink for the party and Horvik handed twice that to Cal]

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:48 am

« I would gladly follow on this investigation but I need to put on a clean change of clothes. »

Erevan turns to Cal saying «Do you rent rooms? I need to change my clothes quickly.»

mah9
Hobgoblin

Post by mah9 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:05 am

mah9 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:20 pm
"We'll keep more than an eye out for her, I can assure you. But I ask no reward in return."

Haldon turns to the others. "I may be new to this town, but I can't stand by and do nothing. I'm going togo over to the market and have a look round.
See if I can trace her steps back. And then speak to your "
looking at Horvik "lumberjack and merchant."

mah9
Hobgoblin

Post by mah9 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:11 am

"Ah yes. A space to leave some of this gear would be most welcome, save lugging it unnecessarily around town."

"I am Haldon, late of the Kingdom of Highforge"

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:08 am

"Of course, of course!" Cal says. "Normally, rooms run 15 cronas per night. But... for you..." He motions all of you to lean closer. "Since you have volunteered to help, I can let the rooms for only 10--"

At Cal's elbow, Anya coughs.

"Seven...?"

The girl crosses her arms. The barman sighs.

"Very well. You can stay for free for as long as it takes to find my girl."
Rob

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:04 pm

RobJN wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:08 am
"Of course, of course!" Cal says. "Normally, rooms run 15 cronas per night. But... for you..." He motions all of you to lean closer. "Since you have volunteered to help, I can let the rooms for only 10--"

At Cal's elbow, Anya coughs.

"Seven...?"

The girl crosses her arms. The barman sighs.

"Very well. You can stay for free for as long as it takes to find my girl."
To Cal « Perfect! I am Erevan Neïlo of Clan Mealidil. Who will show us to our room?»

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:36 pm

Cal gives another shout, and the scullions reappear, this time hoisting Erevan, Haldon, and Auren's things. Anya leads the group up the broad main stairs, and then down a long central hall lined on either side with doors. She opens the very last on the left, and ushers the group into what looks to be a suite of rooms: a small sitting area with a low table, several chairs, and a long setee, flanked by two doors.

"There are two two-bed rooms, one to either side," the girl says, "wardrobes, wash basins, trunks... everything adventurers such as yourselves should need." She waits, fidgeting, as the scullions-turned-porters deposit their bags, trunks, and cases in the bedrooms. When they stand, expectantly, she scowls. "I'll split anything with you, now split!" she hisses, ushering them out.

She turns, and reaches beneath her apron, withdrawing a small, velvet pouch. She carefully unknots it, and then upends it on the table.

Kopecs, half-kopecks, denarii, passem, and even a few plen clatter and roll about the tabletop.

"Uncle Cal can be a bit stingy," Anya says, "but he's Thyatian, so it really can't be helped. That's what Mama says." She gestures to the coins scattered across the table. "That's everything I've earned this year. Well, less the twenty-two kopecks for the trinkets we got the last time me and Fiala went to the market together. But that's the rest -- and its yours if you'll find my cousin."
Rob

mah9
Hobgoblin

Post by mah9 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:26 pm

Haldon turns red at the thought of profiting from the disappearance of a young girl.
"I'm sorry but I can't accept that. I offer my services for no charge in this. Anya, I promise I will do everything in my power to find Fiala."

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:23 pm

mah9 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:26 pm
Haldon turns red at the thought of profiting from the disappearance of a young girl.
"I'm sorry but I can't accept that. I offer my services for no charge in this. Anya, I promise I will do everything in my power to find Fiala."
Serious : « I agree with Haldon. No paiment is necessary.»
Smiling mischievously «Now if the lady doesn't mind some privacy is required. I would really like get out of these clothes that you copiously soaked in stew!» Erevan starts laughing, opens his back pack, gets his second set of clothing out and throws it on a random bed. Then he starts removing his shirt.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:33 pm

Anya blinks, blushes, and then points to the doorway to the left, where the porters left Haldon and Erevan's baggage.
Last edited by RobJN on Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:52 pm

RobJN wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:33 pm
Anya blinks, blushes, and then points to the doorway to the left, where the porters left Haldor and Erevan's baggage.
Erevan enters the room with his back pack. 20 minutes later he comes out refreshed wearing his second set of clothes. The other set was washed and is hanging on the chair and furniture of the room to dry.

torkill13
Hobgoblin

Post by torkill13 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:22 am

While the newcomers followed Anya up the stairs, the big man elbowed his way to the bar. He set a couple of coins on the counter, and ordered another ale. As waited for his drink, his eyes scanned the common room, closely observing the other patrons, trying to gauge their reaction to the commotion a few moments ago.

Perception: [1d20+4] = 15+4 = 19

Several minutes passed, and Horvik wondered what could possibly taking the others so long to drop off their bags. As Cal passed by again, Horvik gently grasped him by the arm. He tried to keep his voice down, but the din of the crowd worked against him. "You mentioned other girls. How many others are missing and when did all of this start?"

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:52 pm

torkill13 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:22 am
While the newcomers followed Anya up the stairs, the big man elbowed his way to the bar. He set a couple of coins on the counter, and ordered another ale. As waited for his drink, his eyes scanned the common room, closely observing the other patrons, trying to gauge their reaction to the commotion a few moments ago.

Perception: [1d20+4] = 15+4 = 19
The general consensus of the murmurings from the other patrons -- guardsmen included -- seems to be "good riddance," as well as disappointment that there were no fisticuffs. Apparently, odds leaned heavily in favor of Horvik and the dwarf.
Several minutes passed, and Horvik wondered what could possibly taking the others so long to drop off their bags. As Cal passed by again, Horvik gently grasped him by the arm. He tried to keep his voice down, but the din of the crowd worked against him. "You mentioned other girls. How many others are missing and when did all of this start?"
He sighs. "From town? That logger's girl, and my Fiala makes two. If 'dolfo's griping about his tunics holds any water, then that seamstress from Verge is a third, probably around the same time as the logger's girl. Cute lil' one, that one. Seen her a time or two coming into town from across the river with her da." He snorts a laugh. "Wouldn't it be funny if Ohnrus' beer is late because his delivery girl's up and disappeared?" He chuckles again. "Ohnrus' girl --now she's a crack of the whip. Good luck to any grown man tryin' to lay hands on her! Heard talk of the others that some goblins tried to give them some trouble in the pass coming down from Eltan's Spring this summer past, and before a sword could be drawn, that girl had clonked three of them cold with a stave and sent the fourth a-running back to whatever hole it'd crawled out of."

"Three from town, two from Verge," says another man, with a sigh. He taps at the surface of the bar.

"The usual?" Cal asks.

"Double."

The barman nods, and reaches for the bottle on the top shelf. He splashes three fingers into a small glass, and sets it down before the man.

"You're off duty, Sergeant?"

The man laughs through a thick, dark mustache. "I won't be off duty until they're found, and we find the culprit. These aren't girls of age to go traipsing off with their beaus," he grumbles, "and so close together? The similar appearances? That whoever this is likes them fair-haired means it's no coincidence."

He quaffs the drink, grimacing as it goes down. "Don't you let eyes off that niece of yours," he says, and slips his cloak back on. A golden braid decorates one shoulder.

"You louts! Mealtime's over. Back to the fourth ward. Boots on the street!"

The guardsmen scattered about the common room scramble to rise, swinging cloaks into place. They look about to complain, but a glance at their sergeant's face hardens their own.

"You'd think that little street rat was his daughter, the way he's taking the news," one of them grumbles to another as they file out the door.
Rob

Return to “The Crystal Globe”